ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football Games Thread Sat 8/24

Go Georgia Tech!!! The rest seem kind of boring.
Yea week 0 so not too much that's interesting but it's football after a long hiatus.

Week 1 will have some better matchups like Clemson/UGA, ND/A&M, USC/LSU....Miami/UF, PSU/WVU

Lot of late money going w GT
Spread down from 13.5 to 11

DJU first game in garnett & gold and a lot if weapons gone from last years stacked team

I’ll go with 23-13 good guys as I think the Noles are too deep and talented, especially their D line and secondary

The RB’s are stacked and o line is the best we’ve had in a decade

Read on X (can't find the post), GT's weakness is run defense.
They're headed in the right direction, program wise, which is great to see as they've always been a solid program with tradition and standards, but are in a tough spot competing with UGA in state, and a lot of regional programs for top recruits

Still no reason they can't be a consistent 7/8 win team, especially in the ACC, w/the occasional breakout season, especially in the world of NIL, not out of the realm of possibility

FSU's run game and stout O line, combined with GT's run defense, and having an entire off season to prepare for this game, leads me to believe FSU wins, but the game is much closer than the final score

They're headed in the right direction, program wise, which is great to see as they've always been a solid program with tradition and standards, but are in a tough spot competing with UGA in state, and a lot of regional programs for top recruits

Still no reason they can't be a consistent 7/8 win team, especially in the ACC, w/the occasional breakout season, especially in the world of NIL, not out of the realm of possibility

FSU's run game and stout O line, combined with GT's run defense, and having an entire off season to prepare for this game, leads me to believe FSU wins, but the game is much closer than the final score
You may be underestimating GT. They actually have a storied history. They have won 4 national championships (first one was under some coach named John Heisman, the last one in 1990 under Bobby Ross). They last won the conference championship in 2009. They narrowly loss to FSU in both 2012 and 2014 for the conference championship. But it's been downhill for them since 2014.

FSU had a similar pattern with ACC championships, making their comeback last year under Mike Norvell. As you have alluded to, Jimbo was a terrible hire, and Willie Taggart was worse.

None of this is to slap back at FSU or equate GT and FSU, even though it sounds like that. Clemson has been treading water and may be on the demise. Key has been a good hire. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for them. Right now FSU is in position of strength. The only teams that will arguably battle for the top ACC spot are NC State and Miami--maybe I'm underestimating Clemson.

I'm also curious how Cal will fare in the ACC. They are underestimated, and many of their losses in the last two years were by a small margin. They may make some noise this year. Their freshman QB looked good.

Got good buds who are alums of GT and Cal, and I will root for both of them.

You may be underestimating GT. They actually have a storied history. They have won 4 national championships (first one was under some coach named John Heisman, the last one in 1990 under Bobby Ross). They last won the conference championship in 2009. They narrowly loss to FSU in both 2012 and 2014 for the conference championship. But it's been downhill for them since 2014.

FSU had a similar pattern with ACC championships, making their comeback last year under Mike Norvell. As you have alluded to, Jimbo was a terrible hire, and Willie Taggart was worse.

None of this is to slap back at FSU or equate GT and FSU, even though it sounds like that. Clemson has been treading water and may be on the demise. Key has been a good hire. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for them. Right now FSU is in position of strength. The only teams that will arguably battle for the top ACC spot are NC State and Miami--maybe I'm underestimating Clemson.

I'm also curious how Cal will fare in the ACC. They are underestimated, and many of their losses in the last two years were by a small margin. They may make some noise this year. Their freshman QB looked good.

Got good buds who are alums of GT and Cal, and I will root for both of them.
My understanding is they were a power back in the day (at or near ND's level), and then left the SEC and things have been largely downhill (sans the 1990 split title - which they really should have all to themselves, as CU needed 5 downs to beat Mizzou) since then

GT has always given us fits - from the ACCG's, to the blocked FG returned for a TD with no time remaining in ATL, the 1992 game at Bobby Dodd when Charlie started his ascent, etc. - I've always liked them as they do things the right way, and have always had solid teams

Never understood why they hired Paul Johnson to turn them into Navy South, especially when they had MegaTron a few years earlier, showing that they could still recruit top athletes (doing the Navy O severely limits you)

Key seems like he's legit - if he can keep some of the instate, and especially, Atlanta metro talent home, they have a shot to be good. NIL is also a factor, as a lot of engineers making some serious $$ could elevate them to levels unseen in many decades

I don't know a lot about Cal - they've certainly had some great talent over the years (Marshawn Lynch and Aaron Rogers come to mind, as does the infamous "The Band is on the Field!!!" win vs. Stanford), and the game vs. us (Rutgers) in 2001 (made up later in the season due to 9/11) certainly wasn't an all time classic

But, again, with NIL and Bay area $$$, nothing is out of the realm of possibility. All they (or any program) needs is 1 or 2 heavy hitters to be competitive - which is one of the main reasons I'm in favor of NIL

Reactions: Knight Shift

FYI Deion reference is to him and them saying they won’t answer questions from a reporter from the Denver Post iirc because of some quips he made in his columns.

I was curious as to how his tenure would go there and was indifferent to him. The more and more I’ve been seeing over time the more I think he’s not going to succeed there but we’ll see….year 2.

We’ve got college football’s first ninth-year senior in Miami tight end Cam McCormick
Man, his parents must be proud.

College football is football so I'll watch some. It's good to take my mind off work and life for a little while as I lose myself watching the game.

Some gameday conference champion picks for fun.

Des picked Miami for the ACC, Pat VT, Saban FSU and Kirk Clemson

Des picked Oregon for the B10 and everyone else picked OSU

Des, Saban Kirk picked Utah for the B12, Pat WVU (homer).

Everyone picked UGA to win the SEC.

Des and Kirk picked Oregon to win the national championship, Saban and Pat picked UGA

Saban and Kirk picked OSU to win the B10 but picked Oregon to do better in the playoffs for some reason. Saban thought Oregon in the championship game against UGA and Kirk Oregon to win it all.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Some gameday conference champion picks for fun.

Des picked Miami for the ACC, Pat VT, Saban FSU and Kirk Clemson

Des picked Oregon for the B10 and everyone else picked OSU

Des, Saban Kirk picked Utah for the B12, Pat WVU (homer).

Everyone picked UGA to win the SEC.

Des and Kirk picked Oregon to win the national championship, Saban and Pat picked UGA

Saban and Kirk picked OSU to win the B10 but picked Oregon to do better in the playoffs for some reason. Saban thought Oregon in the championship game against UGA and Kirk Oregon to win it all.

McAfee is a dufus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT