ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA Not Responsible for Education Quality

Originally posted by RU4Real:

Originally posted by RUinPinehurst:
But but but Mr Emmert is "on record" as stating an education is what the athlete receives as payment for his/her service, and that's why monetary payment for said service is not possible. There's the rub.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
They receive every opportunity to avail themselves of an education. Many choose to do exactly that. Some, obviously, do not.

It's not the NCAA's job to ensure the quality of the education provided. There are many other organizations in line to do that.
True enough in most cases. But I remember that Robert Smith criticized the coaching staff at Ohio State for not allowing him to concentrate on academics. I think he sat out a full season over the issue, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by derleider:

The NCAA is the schools.
This, this, this.

The idea that the NCAA is some mystical disinterested third party is pure nonsense.

And huddy's description of the NCAA is spot on. However, in practice, you should also add "..., but only when it is in interest of the members schools to do so."

Schools are governing themselves. Can we all stop being shocked when self interest happens.

Originally posted by RU848789:
Originally posted by ruhudsonfan:

Just like they don't exist to monitor whether RU gives priority registration to athletes (which we do), whether football players are "urged" to be Labor Relations majors (which they are) or anything else that academic purists would deem unsavory.
Asked my father-in-law, who was a prof in the Labor Relations Dept into the mid-90s and a very good friend of mine who has been a prof in that dept. for the past 15 years and both said they've never heard of football players being "urged" to be LR majors. Not saying it's not possible, but you may want to double check your sources on that one.
My "source" is the roster over the last 15 years. You're a statistics person. Go look at the number one major--by a wide margin--of football players. Considering it is the case year in and year out, I would suggest it is statistically impossible to be a coincidence.

When this observation has been made in the past, other posters have commented that it is common knowledge on campus that LR is football friendly. I'm not saying anything more than being schedule friendly takes place. However, at a school like RU, with literally 100+ undergrad majors, I find it hard to be believe that is pure coincidence.

Originally posted by RU848789:

Just like they don't exist to monitor whether RU gives priority registration to athletes (which we do), whether football players are "urged" to be Labor Relations majors (which they are) or anything else that academic purists would deem unsavory.
Asked my father-in-law, who was a prof in the Labor Relations Dept into the mid-90s and a very good friend of mine who has been a prof in that dept. for the past 15 years and both said they've never heard of football players being "urged" to be LR majors. Not saying it's not possible, but you may want to double check your sources on that one.
My "source" is the roster over the last 15 years. You're a statistics person. Go look at the number one major--by a wide margin--of football players. Considering it is the case year in and year out, I would suggest it is statistically impossible to be a coincidence.

When this observation has been made in the past, other posters have commented that it is common knowledge on campus that LR is football friendly. I'm not saying anything more than being schedule friendly takes place. However, at a school like RU, with literally 100+ undergrad majors, I find it hard to be believe that is pure coincidence.
Hudson - I've never looked at the majors for our players, but I'll take your word for it and would agree it would be a very unlikely coincidence - just out of curiosity, though, where does one find the list of majors for all the players (I just spent a few minutes looking and the rosters I saw didn't show majors)? More importantly, I clarified with my friend, the prof, this morning and he's in the Dept. of Human Resource Mgmt, not the Labor Studies and Employment Relations Dept. and I think he thought I was asking about his dept. When I asked more specifically about Labor Relations (both are part of the School of Management and Labor Relations), he said, yes, he's aware that there is a high % of football players in that major and he's heard some are "steered" there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT