ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA Rejects UNC's Stick-To-Sports Response, Moves Forward With Investigation

Anything less than loss of scholarships AND post season bans
means the NCAA is a joke
Wins and championships should be vacated but that is not enough.

Reactions: jerseylion109
Yeah, so what? They pound the women's basketball program? UNC has already won. Football and Men's hoops, two of the biggest beneficiaries of the scam, are off the table.

Yeah, so what? They pound the women's basketball program? UNC has already won. Football and Men's hoops, two of the biggest beneficiaries of the scam, are off the table.

They are not off the table. UNC tried to take them off the table and threw WBB under the bus.

Reactions: koleszar
it seems that just when you think the investigation is winding down and punishment about to be
administered, the ncaa hears about,or discovers more potential violations.....

so, instead of coming down
on N.Carolina, the investigation is prolonged, their teams keep playing, recruiting proceeds as normal.

UNC's actions are the most outrageous form of cheating since Knute Rockne paid non-students to play. If they don't receive severe sanctions, the NCAA truly is a joke.

That's it...we are moving forward!

The NCAA is like a bad parent. How long does it take to freakin' resolve this already? Years and years spent grinding along on this.

The last sentence of the article sums it all up. It's supposed to be over in 4 months + 6-8 weeks. Wake me up when this is truly over. Hoping for the worst possible punishment for that school whatever that may be.

This is a complete joke for how long this has dragged on. The NCAA should come down hard on North Carolina but many of us think they will only get a slap on the wrist. Louisville should also be punished but the NCAA rarely hits these highly rated schools in basketball or football as they would a team that is a mid major or rarely succeeds in big time sports. The NCAA should treat everyone the same.

For those of you wondering about Football and MBB:

The hearing will determine whether the NCAA has the legal grounds under its regulations to pursue a case against UNC regarding the fake classes. The committee is also expected to decide whether it can consider key information from the most extensive investigation into the scandal – Wainstein’s 131-page report, which was released in October 2014.

That report found 18 years of fake classes – most of them created by Deborah Crowder, a longtime office manager in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. More than 3,100 students took at least one of the classes, with athletes making up roughly half of that group despite representing less than 4 percent of the student body.

Football and men’s basketball players were the two top beneficiaries of the classes by sport. The classes had no instruction and only required a paper to be submitted to obtain a high grade. They began as independent studies, but Crowder in 1999 began disguising them as lecture classes to get around a limit on how many independent studies a student could take.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article110315307.html#storylink=cpy

I still contend little will happen to UNC. The NCAA will not hurt a major player. Nor will they risk a lawsuit, also, they do not want to hurt a big time program. So, I will believe it only when it happens and those of you waiting to see them get nailed will, IMHO, be greatly disappointed. They will use the excuse that their lawyers told them it was not a clear athletic issue.

I still contend little will happen to UNC. The NCAA will not hurt a major player. Nor will they risk a lawsuit, also, they do not want to hurt a big time program. So, I will believe it only when it happens and those of you waiting to see them get nailed will, IMHO, be greatly disappointed. They will use the excuse that their lawyers told them it was not a clear athletic issue.
I don't want to believe this. I really don't, because if they don't do anything about this, the NCAA is only there to tell Marshall and Rice "We're here to make sure you don't cheat like the big boys and have a level playing field with them."

UNC has "played" the NCAA and in doing so, has played its member institutions including its opponents, most of which follow the rules of membership. No one likes to be played. And there's a price to pay for it and for the arrogance that accompanies this particular case.

Keep in mind that the original NOA and the ANOA have been redacted by UNC. Only UNC and the NCAA have the unredacted docs.

Wainstein did very good work. Further, the MBB and FB SA transcripts tell all.

The origins of this scandal lie in the Ram's Club aka the UNC System's BOG and the school's BOT. With that, UNC will not file suit against the NCAA.

Reactions: Underdogs88
I don't want to believe this. I really don't, because if they don't do anything about this, the NCAA is only there to tell Marshall and Rice "We're here to make sure you don't cheat like the big boys and have a level playing field with them."

cx, I don't want to believe it either. I just do. Maybe I have just grown very skeptical but money talks and UNC mbball means money, lots of it. RU can get hammered because we are not an elite cash cow. Those who are will not, IMHO, get hammered.

cx, I don't want to believe it either. I just do. Maybe I have just grown very skeptical but money talks and UNC mbball means money, lots of it. RU can get hammered because we are not an elite cash cow. Those who are will not, IMHO, get hammered.

UNC does not bring in any more $ to the NCAA than any other top 25 team playing in the tourney. TV viewership/ratings are tied to the competition itself, not particular programs involved. Bracket pools drive viewership more than do the followings of fans of the programs involved.

2016 championship game involving Villanova and UNC had 22.3 million viewers.
2015 championship game involving Duke and Wisconsin had 28.3 million viewers.
2014 ... UCONN and Kentucky = 21.2 million
2013 ... Louisville and Michigan = 23.4 million

What UNC does have that RU lacks is a fervent alumni and booster base.

UNC will get a slap on the wrist and vacate some wins, have to repay tourney/bowl money, and promise never to do such a thing again.

Anyone hoping for justice is likely to be disappointed. Like people in politics, some people can do anything and get away with anything. UNC is one of those schools.

Reactions: Dpgru
UNC is Trump'n the NCAA, grabbing em by their collective....

UNC will not get the death penalty they deserve for 18 years of fake classes setup by their administration. Of that is not lack of institutiona control then what on earth is?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT