ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nebraska volleyball generates profits

It all starts with Coaching. Followed by Facilities. Our Olympic Sports need to be overhauled sans Women's Soccer.

The problem here, Rutgers will have to overpay for an Elite Coach.

let's say 20 percent above market value.

but a sport like Volleyball, you could turn it around quick with a proper investment in an Elite Coaching Staff.

It all starts with Coaching. Followed by Facilities. Our Olympic Sports need to be overhauled sans Women's Soccer.

The problem here, Rutgers will have to overpay for an Elite Coach.

let's say 20 percent above market value.

but a sport like Volleyball, you could turn it around quick with a proper investment in an Elite Coaching Staff.

It's a lot tougher to turn around than you think. Schools have dumped huge money into volleyball facilities as revenue's have increased. To get a good coach they want their own private practice stuff just like other sports. A lot of schools have arena's for volleyball only for games as well. It isn't a sport where the kids will play second fiddle to the football or hoops folks when it comes to facilities if you want the program to be competitive. Big 10 Volleyball is probably even tough than Big 10 wrestling which we all know is brutal.

NU volleyball stuff:

QSLQJDDQYKALPVW.20130825041712.JPG

LPJYEWWSLWLKRKN.20130825041712.JPG

MZYYXNFTYCMQZJU.20140303205241.jpg
IUKWBGLGJRUWEIR.20111014042155.JPG

This is their old locker room. They just redid them.
YSGFNLTFZMHBDYB.20091112223432.jpg

It's a lot tougher to turn around than you think. Schools have dumped huge money into volleyball facilities as revenue's have increased. To get a good coach they want their own private practice stuff just like other sports. A lot of schools have arena's for volleyball only for games as well. It isn't a sport where the kids will play second fiddle to the football or hoops folks when it comes to facilities if you want the program to be competitive. Big 10 Volleyball is probably even tough than Big 10 wrestling which we all know is brutal.

NU volleyball stuff:

QSLQJDDQYKALPVW.20130825041712.JPG

LPJYEWWSLWLKRKN.20130825041712.JPG

MZYYXNFTYCMQZJU.20140303205241.jpg
IUKWBGLGJRUWEIR.20111014042155.JPG

This is their old locker room. They just redid them.
YSGFNLTFZMHBDYB.20091112223432.jpg
Is that arena and weight room volleyball only?

Is that arena and weight room volleyball only?

Yes. The arena is the old basketball arena. They completely remodeled the inside to make it look like a bigger version of the old volleyball arena. It only held 4500 and NU knew they could fill a bigger one so they did it when the hoops teams moved to Pinnacle Bank Arena. They occasionally have a wrestling matches there and I think one gymnastics thing also. Wrestling moved into The Coliseum as their home. The seating at 4500 is just right and usually plenty big.
Old Arena called The Coliseum
university-of-nebraska-volleyball-packed-out-crowd-in-coliseum-unl-vb-x-00007smd.jpg

The weight room is also theirs only. They have all their own stuff as does every sport at NU. The bowling and rifle teams even have dedicated facilities. I'm assuming the bowling facility is basically a full bar that serves really greasy food, but I am guessing. Ha.
AEOIIPSYRDUOUIT.20130522164652.jpg

I am certain Penn State also turns a profit in Womens Volleyball.

Big Ten Womens Volleyball is like Big Ten Wrestling. Very Dominant Nationally

I am certain Penn State also turns a profit in Womens Volleyball.

Big Ten Womens Volleyball is like Big Ten Wrestling. Very Dominant Nationally

Hawaii and Nebraska are the only 2 that turn a profit.

You are certainly correct about them being dominate nationally like wrestling. The NCAA tourney is a cake walk compared to conference play. Ha

Nebraska's attendance for VB is very impressive. It basically reaffirms my sense that in the Midwest, people attend university events, especially at the State U. whether sporting or otherwise, on a regular basis and that doing so is a part of growing up with public institutions and Land Grant colleges. The entire mindset out there toward public universities is much different than in the Northeast.

My first real encounter with this came when I was doing a Master's at Ohio State many years back. Beyond Buckeye football and its fan following, I was impressed by how more than 3000 people would show up on a regular basis to see travel films, presented by the filmmakers, at Mershon Auditorium on a Friday night. I realized then that people out there are really tuned in to what is happening on the campuses in their area.

It also helps to have network TV stations in all of these states that promote such activities merely by talking about them. I sure wish NJ had that.

Nebraska's attendance for VB is very impressive. It basically reaffirms my sense that in the Midwest, people attend university events, especially at the State U. whether sporting or otherwise, on a regular basis and that doing so is a part of growing up with public institutions and Land Grant colleges. The entire mindset out there toward public universities is much different than in the Northeast.

My first real encounter with this came when I was doing a Master's at Ohio State many years back. Beyond Buckeye football and its fan following, I was impressed by how more than 3000 people would show up on a regular basis to see travel films, presented by the filmmakers, at Mershon Auditorium on a Friday night. I realized then that people out there are really tuned in to what is happening on the campuses in their area.

It also helps to have network TV stations in all of these states that promote such activities merely by talking about them. I sure wish NJ had that.

Most Nebraska fans think that if a student athlete is willing to put in the extra work and time in practice, games, off season work, and keep their classroom stuff all in order then we as fans owe it to them to show up and support them in their events whether it be athletic or in the arts. A lot of them could have gone to different schools but chose to go to NU so they need and deserve our support.

ADVERTISEMENT