ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Neighbor takes down trees on your property

scarlet96

All American
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2006
Anyone have this happen? Not home yet, but we had three trees in the area between our two driveways and he took them down without discussing. My wife sent me pictures of the logs sitting there. I am hoping he is hiring someone to come back with a crane but I am not counting on it. Obviously, these are older trees and branches were knocked around during the past storms. Pretty annoyed but want to make sure he finishes what he started and take them away. Definitely on my side.

humm.... sounds like the start of trouble. Good thing you took photos. If he doesn't take them away on his own, then you will have to go over there and nicely show him the photos and ask him to arrange to take them away.

If he refuses, then you will need to start making phone calls.

If you are forced to pay to have them remove, then you can file a lawsuit to have them pick up the cost.

Maybe he thought the trees were on his side of the property line? He could legally cut down branches hanging over onto his property even if the trees are on your property but not take down the entire trees if really on your property.

Did the storms cause the trees to be leaning or hanging near his house? As if someone might perceive them to be a danger to his property?
Is he an otherwise decent neighbor? Lots of ways to handle this depending on stuff...

Like me works in the city, leaves early comes home late. His kids are older than ours. I don’t see him. He has everything done for him, landscaping snow removal etc. We have had two or three conversations in four years. I don’t think we have talked in two years. They are too themselves. No issues. BUT, upon my first day moving there he did talk about these trees. He also mentioned he took down a bunch on his other side and some people got all weird about it. It was my first weekend and I just spent a whole bunch on a house the last thing I was thinking of taking down trees.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
He really should not have done that without consulting you. Perhaps as suggested above he didn't realize that they weren't on his property (although that's kind of hard to believe). I'd open up a conversation with him before having Vinny and Tony whack him.

Reactions: rutgersal
Just erased snarky post. Here's some real advice instead:

Were the trees an endangerment to you and your neighbor? Is getting rid of them a good thing? If so, now might be the time to make a real friend out of your neighbor as opposed to potential animosity and legal issues. Call him up or knock on his door, thank him for taking the initiative, and offer to go 50/50 on the total job. He might be a decent guy. And if not, you'll know you tried.

(But maybe call your lawyer first and find out what your responsibilities and rights are here.)

SkilletHead you bring a good point.

If he finishes the job, I won’t be upset. I thought I survived not having worse damage in the last storm. While it is not as pretty anymore, I don’t have to worry about the tree coming down on his or her house. This is why I am trying calm myself down before discussing. As he should have gave me a heads up.

I had this happen to me. Neighbor hired a landscaper to remove trees in a wooded area of his yard, and the landscaper removed 2 small trees on my property. The landscaper probably thought they were on his property because they were between the property line and my fence (although there was a property marker near one of the trees he cut). I caught the landscaper before he removed any more of my trees and the landscaper agreed to replace the 2 trees he cut down. He replaced them with two arborvitae that he picked up at Home Depot for $10. The arborvitae quickly died in the shade.

Reactions: bac2therac
I had this happen to me. Neighbor hired a landscaper to remove trees in a wooded area of his yard, and the landscaper removed 2 small trees on my property. The landscaper probably thought they were on his property because they were between the property line and my fence (although there was a property marker near one of the trees he cut). I caught the landscaper before he removed any more of my trees and the landscaper agreed to replace the 2 trees he cut down. He replaced them with two arborvitae that he picked up at Home Depot for $10. The arborvitae quickly died in the shade.
Probably best they died, I hear they don't like the snow.

keep-calm-and-burn-the-house-down-1.png

Seriously, some guy finds you a couple cords of fire wood and leaves it in neat piles for you and all you can do is complain?

Sounds like you need to buy him dinner....... or at least bake him a cake.......

I can't wait to hear what happens when you go over to complain and he asks you to pay half the bill.........

Reactions: Finster Baby
To all of you who are reaching for the phone to their lawyer...don't be that guy. The legal system sucks balls and does justice for no one when it is over a little spat like this. You and your neighbor will end up spending thousands of dollars over a couple of trees that can be replaced for maybe a couple hundred. Plus you'll end up hating each other. Spend the money on a few beers and hash it out like gentlemen.

To all of you who are reaching for the phone to their lawyer...don't be that guy. The legal system sucks balls and does justice for no one when it is over a little spat like this. You and your neighbor will end up spending thousands of dollars over a couple of trees that can be replaced for maybe a couple hundred. Plus you'll end up hating each other. Spend the money on a few beers and hash it out like gentlemen.
Or bang the neighbors wife and call it even.

+1
Lawyers only care about making money. Figure it out yourself.

Reactions: rurichdog
The answer I’m surprised no one put yet, pay to have the logs taken away and then plant 3 new trees a few feet closer to your driveway.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
It sounds like its not a big deal. Just ignore it. You have to live next to the guy probably for a long time. It's not worth the trouble.

The neighbor across the street had branches on a tree hanging into the road that I would hit trying to back our rv into our driveway. I got her permission to cut them off. Miscommunication with the tree guy and he cut the tree down. Apology and a couple bottles of wine and we're all good.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Always have a fence along the property line.

If it's like my town Nutley you need approval from the town to remove any tree...no approval permit no tree removal or heavy fines

SkilletHead you bring a good point.

If he finishes the job, I won’t be upset. I thought I survived not having worse damage in the last storm. While it is not as pretty anymore, I don’t have to worry about the tree coming down on his or her house. This is why I am trying calm myself down before discussing. As he should have gave me a heads up.
He definitely should have. No question there.

My son just had his neighbor's tree come down on his house, taking out his kitchen and damaging the second floor. They are in temporary accommodations for the next 4-6 months. They knew it was in bad shape, but that big East Coast storm took it out. He and his daughter were in the house, but no one hurt. Best to get those things taken down!

Hey, whatever you decide, good luck with this.

Didn’t read this whole thread, but if the trees were Pin Oaks or pines, you should thank your neighbor.
I’m sick of branches and down trees crushing my fence and power lines

In my town the trees on the front lawn are actually not mine. They are the towns depending on how close to the street they are. After this last storm the town cut down some of the trees that were deemed to be a threat durin a storm. Those trees are now just laying in peoples front lawns waiting to be picked up. Could this have happened to you? The town didn’t even ask they just did it.

OK so...If I am reading this right...these trees are a concern to you. And since they are between your driveways, obviously a concern during storms to him. Sounds like he did everyone a favor and maybe avoided future problems such as if limbs or the trees came down on his cars or yours. The real issue seems that the tree company did not remove the trees after they cut them down. To me, would be a total dick move to lawyer up or even get upset yet. Yeah, he should have called you. What I would do is walk over there, talk to the guy...Explain that while appreciated, you think he should have called you first so that you and your wife were not surprised. And then ask what is going to be done with the trees that have been cut down. Maybe the tree company is coming back for them. I have a seen a lot of times after storms in the winter, they are so busy working truly dangerous fells that cutting is first priority for everyone and then coming back to cleanup happens later when things calm down. Anyway- ask him...also talk to him that though you had also thought of doing this, you just were not in position financially to do so and why you held off. Since he did this on his own without asking, he should not expect you to pay but it is still good on your part to offer that you do realize it did cost. If he is planning to use some of the wood for firewood, maybe offer him some good will that you can help him cut it, stack it.
Bottomline, you be the good guy, you may find that he is too. Worst case, he is a complete jerkoff and you end up not talking, which you dont now anyway. But at least you know you did everything you could.

The plot th
OK so...If I am reading this right...these trees are a concern to you. And since they are between your driveways, obviously a concern during storms to him. Sounds like he did everyone a favor and maybe avoided future problems such as if limbs or the trees came down on his cars or yours. The real issue seems that the tree company did not remove the trees after they cut them down. To me, would be a total dick move to lawyer up or even get upset yet. Yeah, he should have called you. What I would do is walk over there, talk to the guy...Explain that while appreciated, you think he should have called you first so that you and your wife were not surprised. And then ask what is going to be done with the trees that have been cut down. Maybe the tree company is coming back for them. I have a seen a lot of times after storms in the winter, they are so busy working truly dangerous fells that cutting is first priority for everyone and then coming back to cleanup happens later when things calm down. Anyway- ask him...also talk to him that though you had also thought of doing this, you just were not in position financially to do so and why you held off. Since he did this on his own without asking, he should not expect you to pay but it is still good on your part to offer that you do realize it did cost. If he is planning to use some of the wood for firewood, maybe offer him some good will that you can help him cut it, stack it.
Bottomline, you be the good guy, you may find that he is too. Worst case, he is a complete jerkoff and you end up not talking, which you dont now anyway. But at least you know you did everything you could.

Update:

Neighbor was waiting for me as I pulled up. Said sorry for no heads up. Was not expecting contractor to come that day. Says trees are his and will show me the survey. I do see the stumps are closer to his driveway than I thought. Tree guys are expected to come back to remove logs. He did throw out potentially splitting costs of putting up new trees – I would definitely want some new trees to regain privacy in my yard. He did also offer to pick of cost of seeding grass in areas affected by work.

FYI - This thread was good therapy while commuted home. Good advice all around.

I'm glad I have great friendly neighbors. On both sides and across the street. Every body knows everyone.
We are getting our kitchen redone, and we got neighbors inviting us over or dinner or flat out knocking on the door with dinner.
I don't know ow how you can live next to someone and talk to them twice in a year

The plot th

Update:

Neighbor was waiting for me as I pulled up. Said sorry for no heads up. Was not expecting contractor to come that day. Says trees are his and will show me the survey. I do see the stumps are closer to his driveway than I thought. Tree guys are expected to come back to remove logs. He did throw out potentially splitting costs of putting up new trees – I would definitely want some new trees to regain privacy in my yard. He did also offer to pick of cost of seeding grass in areas affected by work.

Glad to hear that it concluded on good terms. And amazing how many of our dick posters wanted to escalate it with an attorney before knowing the facts.

On the advice of my dad growing up, Never, ever feud with your neighbors. They will always be near your family and these feuds have the ability to escalate and get much worse for both sides.

The plot th

Update:

Good ending.

ADVERTISEMENT