ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nest

scarlet96

All American
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2006
Since this board can be a great source of homeowners advice… anyone with experience using Nest. Likes, dislikes. Any functions that are unique to them? Have made your life better? My primary use would be for thermostats but I know you can hook up for smoke detectors, cameras etc.

How/who would you recommend to install? any standard discounts to look for?

My HVAC guy is not high on Nest but maybe he makes $ selling another brand.

Since this board can be a great source of homeowners advice… anyone with experience using Nest. Likes, dislikes. Any functions that are unique to them? Have made your life better? My primary use would be for thermostats but I know you can hook up for smoke detectors, cameras etc.

If you can match colored wires it is super easy to install yourself. I would check to make sure your present system has a common wire because it requires it. If it does they are super easy to install. No special tools or skills are required.

Have used both the nest and the eccobee3. The nest is easier to adjust and a better unit interface. The eccobee has a better web interface. If you don't want to have to deal with anything the nest is great. It learns you behavior and does all the scheduling. Both will save you money. What is unique is being able to remotely control your thermostat. Other than that they pretty much do the same thing as any programmable thermostat.

Check with your electric and gas provider. Many provide rebates or discounts on them.

I installed it in January. Super easy. Just pulled off my 20 year old thermostat and matched colors. I bought the cheap one since there was no functional difference between the two.

I've saved about $20/month since then, and have half paid it off. It turns the heat off when no one is home (uses the app on your phone to see if you've left), and I have it set to turn back on 20 minutes before the kids get home. I also have it set to go down to 60 between midnight and 5:30, and no one has noticed or complained.

There's no price cuts on it, but I bought it at bed bath and beyond and they threw in the google version of Alexa which was $30.

I installed it in January. Super easy. Just pulled off my 20 year old thermostat and matched colors. I bought the cheap one since there was no functional difference between the two.

I've saved about $20/month since then, and have half paid it off. It turns the heat off when no one is home (uses the app on your phone to see if you've left), and I have it set to turn back on 20 minutes before the kids get home. I also have it set to go down to 60 between midnight and 5:30, and no one has noticed or complained.

There's no price cuts on it, but I bought it at bed bath and beyond and they threw in the google version of Alexa which was $30.
I have three zones. Did you set up on multiple-zones?

I only have one zone, but it's pretty easy to set up for multiple zones. It's all color coordinated with the wires

i have been using the Ecobee3 for about a year now. I have one zone on a 2 story condo so the remote battery thermostat, which gives me multiple temperature readings, was the way to go for me.

Pretty easy install as long as you follow the instructions. There are even videos online you can watch too.

The Nest didn't give me the extra temperature reading I was looking for, as my main thermostat is on the first floor and I can get a +/- 10 degree difference between floors in the summer time. So i have it timed to read from the upstairs thermostat before bed every night. It is pretty sweet to be able to change the system settings from my phone and not have to walk downstairs anymore if it needs an adjustment.

I have definitely saved a good chunk of change on my bills since the install last year. Worth every penny.

I have had 2 Nest thermostats for probably 3-4 years. They work great. Scheduling is easy with as many temp changes as you want throughout the day. It also recognized if you are not home and suspends AC or Heating within a range you set yourself (e.g. let heat fall to 60 degrees and AC let go to 80 degrees). When you come home it will resume. It has a lot of other cool features and is definitely easy to install. Take a picture before you take apart your old thermostat of the wiring just in case there are issues.

Reactions: PSU_Nut

Have one in each zone. Interfaced with Alexa. Can tell her to set temp. Or raise Degrees. Etc.

I have it. Use the scheduling feature. The smart feature just jacks the heat down all the time and then you’re cold. Otherwise it’s great.

Take a picture before you take apart your old thermostat of the wiring just in case there are issues.
Best advice. I would also keep the old thermostat as a back up. It only happened once but Nest pushed an update which disabled many thermostat. Like any electronic they can break. This way you can re hook up the old one.

Reactions: Scarlet Haze
ADVERTISEMENT