ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Bruce Springsteen Album Oct. 23 - On Howard Stern Oct. 31

Sounds like his last album (which I listened to a couple of times)

A hit? Yah “ hit the wall” more like it.

He should do his whole catalog acoustic like jonny cash in the later years, and MAYbe cover some Radiohead songs

Last edited:
Reactions: RUaMoose
And I dug deep
in my soul
and put it all
in this text
to you

tenor.gif

Letter to You includes nine recently written Springsteen songs, as well as new recordings of three of his legendary, but previously unreleased, compositions from the 1970s. Produced by Ron Aniello with Bruce Springsteen, Letter To You is Bruce’s first time performing with the E Street Band since The River 2016 tour.

Tracklist
One Minute You’re Here
Letter To You
Burnin’ Train
Janey Needs A Shooter
Last Man Standing
The Power Of Prayer
House Of A Thousand Guitars
Rainmaker
If I Was The Priest
Ghosts
Song For Orphans
I’ll See You In My Dreams

it sounds like a majority of his songs.

If you like his musical "voice" then you love it.

If you're looking for Bruce to produce a different sound....it's boring.

MO

Aging visual artists (like Rembrandt) often have what's called a "mature style." Works are loosey-goosey and easily rendered. These last works from Bruce seem like that - he's keeping busy while not chasing hits.

Reactions: RutgersMO
In fairness -- the tone of the song actually sounds a lot like Western Stars. Switch up the music and the lyrics would fit the vibe of that album.
Guess that different people hear different things.
I can't put this in any Western Stars song categories- no banjo, no pedal steel guitar, no orchestra or strings that I can hear, and his voice sounds different (more like The River/Tunnel of Love/Lucky Town/Human Touch records). On Western Stars, his voice had a pensive and/or wistful tone to it, like it is on a lot of his acoustic songs like in Nebraska.

On this new song, the arrangement of the music and his voice sounds more like The Ties that Bind, Jackson Cage, Fade Away, The Price You Pay, Better Days, Leap of Faith, Human Touch, Real World, Spare Parts, Two Faces, One Step Up, etc. At least it does to me.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I love Bruce's music and hate his politics. I think this song is kinda "meh." It's not a hit.
It's not supposed to be a hit, and certainly was not written to be a hit. Musicians in their 70s are not chasing hit singles. They know it's impossible. It's a song that's intended to connect with his worldwide fan base and people in his age group.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album! I am particularly eager to hear the updated versions of Janey Needs a Shooter, If I Was the Priest, and Song for Orphans, three 1970s tunes that were never officially released.

Last edited:
It's not supposed to be a hit, and certainly was not written to be a hit. Musicians in their 70s are not chasing hit singles. They know it's impossible. It's a song that's intended to connect with his worldwide fan base and people in his age group.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album! I am particular eager to hear the updated versions of Janey Needs a Shooter, If I Was the Priest, and Song for Orphans, three 1970s tunes that were never officially released.
Me too. Do you think this song sounds like Western Stars or something else or nothing else?

Me too. Do you think this song sounds like Western Stars or something else or nothing else?
I think the melody has a touch of a Western Stars feel to it, but not much. More importantly, when I listen to it, I hear the E Street Band loud and clear. Although there was heavy instrumentation on Western Stars (especially the movie soundtrack version), it was unquestionably a Springsteen solo album. This album will be a BS&ESB record.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sorry! IMHO, one of the most over-rated musicians ever. BORRRRRRRING. The man can't sing, he just twists his face up into a contorted state and belches out talk/yell singing.

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
Very good song, terrific arrangement and melodies, with a few good rock and roll hooks. This will be a hit for Bruce and the E Street Band. Nils Lofgren is tremendous on lead guitar, as usual. Excited to hear the rest of the album.

Very good song, terrific arrangement and melodies, with a few good rock and roll hooks. This will be a hit for Bruce and the E Street Band. Nils Lofgren is tremendous on lead guitar, as usual. Excited to hear the rest of the album.
I prefer Steve. Two different styles. Nils has better chops/finesse, but Steve knows how to roadhouse.

Reactions: skindawgs
I prefer Steve. Two different styles. Nils has better chops/finesse, but Steve knows how to roadhouse.

I've probably seen Nils early group GRIN about 10 times in the 1970s, he has some terrific hits of his own with Grin. He also was Neil Young's lead guitarist on some of his best early albums with Crazy Horse. Nils said last month that this new album is their best album in decades. This excellent first single has me believing he's not exaggerating.

I've probably seen Nils early group GRIN about 10 times in the 1970s, he has some terrific hits of his own with Grin. He also was Neil Young's lead guitarist on some of his best early albums with Crazy Horse. Nils said last month that this new album is their best album in decades. This excellent first single has me believing he's not exaggerating.
Back in 1983, we were near the front row at La Bamba's Holiday Hurrah at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank. Bruce showed up as a special guest and brought the house down. Nils was on the bill, but during Bruce's set, Nils was dancing around the stage, and he looked kind of ridiculous as if he was trying to outdo Bruce. Someone remarked that Bruce must have been pissed at him. Several months later, after Steve left to form The Disciples of Soul, we were shocked Nils was named as his replacement. It's nice to have 3 guitars on stage when they tour.

Solid second song from Springsteen's upcoming album. This song is about his first band, the Castiles. Some excellent concert footage:

“'Ghosts' is about the beauty and joy of being in a band, and the pain of losing one another to illness and time. 'Ghosts' tries to speak to the spirit of the music itself, something none of us owns but can only discover and share together. In the E Street Band, it resides in our collective soul, powered by the heart." - Bruce

Not a fan. His music has declined and i don’t like rich people telling us all how to act. Shut up and entertain me.

Solid second song from Springsteen's upcoming album. This song is about his first band, the Castiles. Some excellent concert footage:

“'Ghosts' is about the beauty and joy of being in a band, and the pain of losing one another to illness and time. 'Ghosts' tries to speak to the spirit of the music itself, something none of us owns but can only discover and share together. In the E Street Band, it resides in our collective soul, powered by the heart." - Bruce

Good song. In his autobiography he devotes a lot of pages to his fond memories of the Castiles and Steel Mill.

I hate springsteen but I heard a song on an indie station that I liked. It sounded like a live version of a song Id never heard before. The only lyrics I can remember said something like "we'll meet on the other side" anyone know what song it was? Thanks

I hate springsteen but I heard a song on an indie station that I liked. It sounded like a live version of a song Id never heard before. The only lyrics I can remember said something like "we'll meet on the other side" anyone know what song it was? Thanks
It's this song, and cued up:

The first Bruce song I think of with other side ("got a meeting with a man on the other side") in the lyrics is Meeting Across the River.

Reactions: Kbee3

Across the Border. Other of his songs have similar lyrics but AtB has that exact line and is a song doesn’t get air play.

Last edited:
It's this song, and cued up:

Another strong song from what's going to be a Mega hit new Album from Bruce w the E Street band. What I liked even more was the video with it, which felt like a gift to all his fans that followed him from the first album (Greetings) on. Being a freshman in 1971 in Clothier Hall, the word about Bruce and the E Street Band was just starting, by fall of 1972, and with the Wild, Innoncent and E Street Shuffle album they were exploding on campus and all over the tri state area. Watching this video just brings back so many great memories seeing them on campus (Ledge and Barn), NYC (Bottom Line, Max's KC) and all over the Jersey Shore. What's even more surprising (or maybe not), is how well produced these first 2 songs are, being they were recorded in Bruce's home studio. I'm sure it's probably state of the art.

Could be from his only great album The Rising. song, Mary's House?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT