ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hospitalizations have taken a path upward as all of the other metrics,discharges,intensive care,those on ventilators are plummeting.

The question that comes to mind:Are more marginal cases being admitted and higher standards for discharges being put in place for financial reasons?That's not politics but merely a suspicion of greed clouding the issue.
Where are hospitalizations increasing?

Who cares how many cases Texas had? NJ still leads death per capita. Texas is 21st on the list. Its not even close.

As a healthcare worker, and reading about the hospital situations after the last fiasco in Texas, I'd say the healthcare workers down there care. And I'll add to that, the patients and families of the patients admitted probably care a great deal as well. You think deaths per capita is the only thing anyone should focus on in regards to Texas? And by the way, using your metric, 21st is nothing to celebrate. For the size of Texas and how spread out the population is, I'd venture to say 21st most deaths per capita is a pretty poor job by them.

Edit: 32nd most in population density but 21st in death rates...can I get another yeehaw for Texas??

Reactions: pmvon and Greg2020
I believe US citizens need answers to why we are allowing travelers from known Ebola countries ( Guinea and DRC) to fly into Newark Airport and JFK. What F &$$&ing moron is the ok ‘ er for this . In the midst of a pandemic and you are allowing possible flights from Africa to the USA. This is actually blatantly stupid and someone needs to explain why ? We saw what happed a year ago with flights from China and Europe how did that work out?

Reactions: bac2therac
As a healthcare worker, and reading about the hospital situations after the last fiasco in Texas, I'd say the healthcare workers down there care. And I'll add to that, the patients and families of the patients admitted probably care a great deal as well. You think deaths per capita is the only thing anyone should focus on in regards to Texas? And by the way, using your metric, 21st is nothing to celebrate. For the size of Texas and how spread out the population is, I'd venture to say 21st most deaths per capita is a pretty poor job by them.

Edit: 32nd most in population density but 21st in death rates...can I get another yeehaw for Texas??
So the NJ healthcare workers didn't care?
It means that Texas did a lot better job than NJ in helping people recover from Covid which has zero to do with population density so your explanation is just nonsense.
You also do realize they have over 3x the population of NJ.

Reactions: bac2therac
Who cares how many cases Texas had? NJ still leads death per capita. Texas is 21st on the list. Its not even close.
You realize that NJ/NY would both have death rates in the middle of the pack if we hadn't been the first ones hit and so hard don't you? As per numerous previous posts of mine, the deaths per hospitalization in the spring wave were double what was seen during the summer and since then, because there were no efficaceous treatments and the medical procedures used by summer were not really well developed until the spring wave was largely over.

So if one halves the deaths for the spring wave, then NJ/NY both drop to about 1700-1800 deaths/1MM, which would put both behind at least a dozen states. NJ/NY had 50-60% of their deaths in the spring, while the vast majority of states had less than 5% of their deaths in the spring (including Texas).

In addition, being hit first, we had almost no interventions in place when the virus was silently multiplying exponentially in the densest population areas in the country (with very high commuting densities) - if we had had any testing in place we could have put interventions like distancing/masking in place well before mid/late March, when testing started getting going, and likely avoided a large chunk of those spring deaths on top of halving the death rates as discussed above. We also would've likely started the stay-at-home orders 1-2 weeks earlier, which several studies have said would've saved 50-80% of the lives lost in wave 1 (covered this back in the spring also). Both states would have lower death rates per capita than Texas if we had not been hit first and so hard.

You realize that NJ/NY would both have death rates in the middle of the pack if we hadn't been the first ones hit and so hard don't you? As per numerous previous posts of mine, the deaths per hospitalization in the spring wave were double what was seen during the summer and since then, because there were no efficaceous treatments and the medical procedures used by summer were not really well developed until the spring wave was largely over.

So if one halves the deaths for the spring wave, then NJ/NY both drop to about 1700-1800 deaths/1MM, which would put both behind at least a dozen states. NJ/NY had 50-60% of their deaths in the spring, while the vast majority of states had less than 5% of their deaths in the spring (including Texas).

In addition, being hit first, we had almost no interventions in place when the virus was silently multiplying exponentially in the densest population areas in the country (with very high commuting densities) - if we had had any testing in place we could have put interventions like distancing/masking in place well before mid/late March, when testing started getting going, and likely avoided a large chunk of those spring deaths on top of halving the death rates as discussed above. We also would've likely started the stay-at-home orders 1-2 weeks earlier, which several studies have said would've saved 50-80% of the lives lost in wave 1 (covered this back in the spring also). Both states would have lower death rates per capita than Texas if we had not been hit first and so hard.
NJ was in a lockdown in the beginning. Explain how density played into the equation when everyone was in their own homes? Did it jump from house to house magically?
And before you say they would have done better than Texas let me remind you how poorly they did with nursing homes. I don't see those numbers changing if they still decided to keep seniors in the long care facilities as they did.

So do you have an opinion on travel into 6 major airports (2 in Metro NY/NJ ) from Ebola infected countries ( Guinea/DRC) ? Can’t fathom the sense in allowing this when we are in the midst of a pandemic for over 1 year. We know what occurred in an area with 35 million residents and Ebola isn’t mumps or chicken pox.Surprised NJ and NY governors and NYC mayor hasn’t voiced concern.

NJ was in a lockdown in the beginning. Explain how density played into the equation when everyone was in their own homes? Did it jump from house to house magically?
And before you say they would have done better than Texas let me remind you how poorly they did with nursing homes. I don't see those numbers changing if they still decided to keep seniors in the long care facilities as they did.
It was rampant in March before the lockdown, mask-wearing, testing, etc. I’ll say again, please be careful about the path you’re leading this thread down. I know no one has brought up politics yet but we all know it’s coming.

You have zero idea what you're talking about. Zero. I've covered all of this before in great detail and don't have time right now to dredge up the old posts on this. Maybe later. Suffice it to say that we likely had 10K+ undiagnosed cases by early March and probably 50K+ cases by mid-March when the stay at home orders were issued. We just didn't know it because testing didn't really get going at all until mid-March. And that's why hospitalizations started peaking at the end of March (there's a lag from cases) and deaths started peaking in early April - and those peaks were far higher than we've seen since.

The tristate area for a four to six week period ahead of mid March 2020 was a large, unprotected target rich environment for viral spread. Millions of densely packed commuter busses and rails spilling onto subways. Crowded restaurants and bars in cold weather. Unrestrained travel to and from most of Europe. No testing whatsoever. It was close to a perfect set of circumstances for spread, and no doubt the number of infected people was far higher than reported.

You have zero idea what you're talking about. Zero. I've covered all of this before in great detail and don't have time right now to dredge up the old posts on this. Maybe later. Suffice it to say that we likely had 10K+ undiagnosed cases by early March and probably 50K+ cases by mid-March when the stay at home orders were issued. We just didn't know it because testing didn't really get going at all until mid-March. And that's why hospitalizations started peaking at the end of March (there's a lag from cases) and deaths started peaking in early April - and those peaks were far higher than we've seen since.
Explain early May, still 3000 new cases a day.

I believe US citizens need answers to why we are allowing travelers from known Ebola countries ( Guinea and DRC) to fly into Newark Airport and JFK. What F &$$&ing moron is the ok ‘ er for this . In the midst of a pandemic and you are allowing possible flights from Africa to the USA. This is actually blatantly stupid and someone needs to explain why ? We saw what happed a year ago with flights from China and Europe how did that work out?
With the Ebola vaccine in place and being used and Ebola not being an airborne, respiratory disease (like COVID is; Ebola is only spread by blood or body fluids and is only transmissible once obvious symptoms have started), the risk of an obviously infected Ebola patient escaping detection at an airport are extraordinarily low.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html

Reactions: Greg2020 and pmvon
CentraState Hospital in Freehold was overwhelmed early and had a significant number of deaths. They adjusted as the learned and from employees there I am told they are really proud of their work in this area

Explain early May.
What about early May? Cases and hospitalizations had already started dropping quickly and deaths soon followed, as the lag is longer for deaths. Also, if a decent % of people were already infected by mid/late March and mask-wearing wasn't recommended by the CDC until early April, what do you think happened in all of those households and small groups of people seeing each other where maybe 1 person was infected? Yeah, transmissions kept going on at a pretty high rate into mid-April, dropping off in late April. Even non-scientists should be able to see the huge difference in trajectories between NJ and Texas (and 95% of the rest of the US) and understand that NJ/NY deaths would be far lower if we hadn't been hit hard, early, and completely unprepared.

TVkDif9.png

rhPocqL.png

ny and nj sent covid patients to nursing homes, you forget to mention that..how many did they directly kill

Reactions: WhiteBus
It was rampant in March before the lockdown, mask-wearing, testing, etc. I’ll say again, please be careful about the path you’re leading this thread down. I know no one has brought up politics yet but we all know it’s coming.

well that speaks to the failures of the CDC, Fauci, scientists and health experts. These are the people who were asleep at the wheel, we have Fauci from as late as mid February downplaying the virus. Was he lying there..not sure

The tristate area for a four to six week period ahead of mid March 2020 was a large, unprotected target rich environment for viral spread. Millions of densely packed commuter busses and rails spilling onto subways. Crowded restaurants and bars in cold weather. Unrestrained travel to and from most of Europe. No testing whatsoever. It was close to a perfect set of circumstances for spread, and no doubt the number of infected people was far higher than reported.
With the Ebola vaccine in place and being used and Ebola not being an airborne, respiratory disease (like COVID is; Ebola is only spread by blood or body fluids and is only transmissible once obvious symptoms have started), the risk of an obviously infected Ebola patient escaping detection at an airport are extraordinarily low.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html
Ok thanks ... I was aware of how it is transmitted just needed an educated opinion on the virus . I just hope the screening process is in place? Don’t want to see it become a part of a US lifestyle.

Oh one more thing on Ebola . I see it can live and survive after recovery so it ultimately could still be transmitted through contact in different ways. Interesting ...

Posted this on Friday. I think the efficacy differences (with regard to preventing mild/moderate COVID) could be at least partly due to different locations and timing/variants for the J&J vs. mRNA vaccines. Plus #1, #2, and #3 most important is that they all seem to prevent hospitalization and death, so I would take any of them if offered.

"In the least surprising news of the day, the FDA advisory panel voted 22-0 to recommend and Emergency Use Authorization of the J&J single shot adenovirus vector vaccine. Great news for everyone. Efficacy is probably a bit lower than the mRNA vaccines (but that's harder to read since Pfizer/Moderna ran their trials earlier and didn't likely encounter some of the new variants, while J&J did), but the take home message for all of them is that they all prevent hospitalizations and deaths after full dosing (after 28 days for J&J with full immune response). That is so much more important than small efficacy differences and the refrigerated storage is a nice bonus. We need them all to beat the pandemic, worldwide, so this is a great day for science and humanity. Formal approval by the FDA should come tomorrow."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/world/FDA-Johnson-and-Johnson-vaccine.html

RU#'s - two things:
  1. Remember that a certain poster here asked you a few weeks ago, when Merck announced that their vaccine efforts were being discontinued, whether there was any way that Merck facilities could be used to increase manufacturing capacity for the J&J vaccine? That was me. 😀
  2. Did we ever figure out the seeming disconnect between "severe disease" and hospitalizations? For example, the J&J vaccine was not 100% effective in preventing severe disease, but did prevent hospitalizations and deaths. Could "severe disease" mean fever but not the shortness of breath that leads to hospitalizations?

You are begging to make this political. Literally begging. Please stop for the sake of the thread.

I am responding to what Numbers is saying, blaming scientists isnt political. There is argument of Texas vs NJ and instead of just saying okay yes Texas had less deaths and moving on we go back to the same arguments again. Obviously someone screwed up in NJ/Ny including with the nursing homes and then obviously there were people who were asleep at the wheel, that may include poltical leaders on both side and our scientific community

its not political to call both sides out on failures. its only political when one side is blamed and we ignore others

its stuff like this that makes people want to trust the scientific community less...

trying to normalize mask wearing and social distancing every winter...wtf

• Angry
Reactions: Postman_1
What about early May? Cases and hospitalizations had already started dropping quickly and deaths soon followed, as the lag is longer for deaths. Also, if a decent % of people were already infected by mid/late March and mask-wearing wasn't recommended by the CDC until early April, what do you think happened in all of those households and small groups of people seeing each other where maybe 1 person was infected? Yeah, transmissions kept going on at a pretty high rate into mid-April, dropping off in late April. Even non-scientists should be able to see the huge difference in trajectories between NJ and Texas (and 95% of the rest of the US) and understand that NJ/NY deaths would be far lower if we hadn't been hit hard, early, and completely unprepared.

TVkDif9.png

rhPocqL.png
So the 3000+ new cases 5/3 were from March?? Gotcha.

So the NJ healthcare workers didn't care?
It means that Texas did a lot better job than NJ in helping people recover from Covid which has zero to do with population density so your explanation is just nonsense.
You also do realize they have over 3x the population of NJ.

You are going off the rails. People mentioned Texas and I responded about Texas. You said "who cares" about Texas and injected NJ. And if you cant realize population density doesn't matter in the spread of (and the respreading of) this virus, I got no more words for you. FYI, Texas is 35 times bigger than New Jersey. In a nutshell, they are wayyyy more spread out and less likely to infect others. And the Covid bomb was not dropped off in Texas and spread unabated like it was in NJ. The fact that Texas is 21st in deaths per capita when their population density ranks 32nd is not an achivement. Read what @RU848789 says above. After the initial smackdown in late winter/early spring, NJ has done an pretty good job overall despite being the densest state in the nation.

Reactions: pmvon and Greg2020
You are begging to make this political. Literally begging. Please stop for the sake of the thread.
He is and always does. The stated goal of the CE board cabal is to have these threads locked, deleted or moved to the CE board. That's a big part of why they post what they do. The only way to refute his incorrect claims is to get political, since that is at the heart of what happened in the US, especially during the first few months of the outbreak - and that would get the thread at least locked again, so I won't do it.

He is and always does. The stated goal of the CE board cabal is to have these threads locked, deleted or moved to the CE board. That's a big part of why they post what they do. The only way to refute his incorrect claims is to get political, since that is at the heart of what happened in the US, especially during the first few months of the outbreak - and that would get the thread at least locked again, so I won't do it.

Most of us would be better served by simply putting bac and a handful of others on "Ignore". That would also have the benefit of avoiding his analysis which recently predicted a 6th seed for our MBB in the Big Dance.

this is an odd post, everyone should be able to post their thoughts, my posts here are not political today. If we want to truly discuss issues, lets discuss and no it does not have to be political at all

your assertion in this post is nothing by a loony personal attack on me

going back to the start of the pandemic would hit hard at the scientific community and you dont want to go there.

its not your thread just as its not mine, its the communitys thread, stop trying to dictate what gets posted here.

Everyone follow the rules and keep politics out of it. Its pretty simple

So the 3000+ new cases 5/3 were from March?? Gotcha.
You'll never win a data analysis argument with me - you should simply give up now. Picking individual days is frowned upon with so many daily variables not being controlled (particularly testing and data dumps of results). If one looks at the 7-day moving average, NJ cases peaked in the 3500-4000 cases per day through most of April, but were actually likely in the 10,000-15,000 range (if we had been testing as much as we tested in the winter peak), which is why our hospitalizations, a much truer indicator of an outbreak's size, were double in April what they peaked at from mid-Dec to mid-Jan.

Even looking at the flawed case data from the spring, the avg went from 3700 on 4/25 to 2800 on 5/3 to 1300 by 5/15, i.e., a major decrease throughout that time. And I never said cases on 5/3 were from March, directly, but the huge number of cases we had by mid/late March are what fueled the peak through mid/late April.

So you are saying it would be unwise to take additional precautions if it saved more lives? What's next? Avoid the flu vaccine too because it might help?

you can do whatever you choose. I have never taken the flu vaccine and do not wish to in the future.

If you want to wear masks in the winter for the rest of time, social distancing and cancel holiday gathering then go ahead and do it

dont suggest to others to do it and dont try to normalize as this guy just did.

we can stop driving too or maybe eating processed salami or smoking or drinking or drugs or unprotected sex or gasp breathing.

That is so, so sad.

Even if I were an unemployed cat lady living in an active adult community, I would find a better way to spend my daytime hours. Perhaps, canasta.

You are going off the rails. People mentioned Texas and I responded about Texas. You said "who cares" about Texas and injected NJ. And if you cant realize population density doesn't matter in the spread of (and the respreading of) this virus, I got no more words for you. FYI, Texas is 35 times bigger than New Jersey. In a nutshell, they are wayyyy more spread out and less likely to infect others. And the Covid bomb was not dropped off in Texas and spread unabated like it was in NJ. The fact that Texas is 21st in deaths per capita when their population density ranks 32nd is not an achivement. Read what @RU848789 says above. After the initial smackdown in late winter/early spring, NJ has done an pretty good job overall despite being the densest state in the nation.
You lost me and your mind after NJ has done a pretty good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT