ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a year ago today, 3/3, was one of the most surreal days in my life, as we very likely clinched an NCAA tourney berth with that huge win over MD at home, which was euphoric, and after I got home, I immediately washed my clothes, took a shower and hoped I didn't do something dumb by going to that game and getting infected. That day was the start of our quarantine, as our son had moved home earlier in the day, as he's immunocompromised (as is my wife), and his roommates were completely unconcered with the coming pandemic.

That was the last day any of us went anywhere indoors in public without a mask on and we generally only went to places to shop very late at night to avoid other humans and we had a fairly elaborate decontamination system for groceries, takeout, mail/packages etc. (which we relaxed significantly a few months later after it became clearer that surface transmission was rare). And outside of doing some outdoors, socially distant visits with friends, it was the last time we hung out with other humans. As I've acknowledged before, I thought this wouldn't necessarily be much worse than a flu through early Feb, but by mid/late Feb, I was posting about it becoming a pandemic and I made the post above on 3/1/20 and started the first COVID science thread by 3/4, as it was obvious where we were headed by then.

And unfortunately, just about the worst case scenario has played out in NJ, the US, and in much of Europe and South America, with this pandemic killing millions (2.5MM so far and over 500K in the US) and infecting over 110MM as per PCR virus testing and likely having infected over half a billion people in actuality. Only countries that stopped/greatly slowed transmissions, usually by some combo of testing. tracing, and isolating to detect minor outbreaks and prevent them from growing into major outbreaks, augmented by distancing (which occasionally meant lockdowns for some)/masking to greatly reduce transmissions in general (this was all in our underused pandemic playbook). Many of these countries only have 1/20th to 1/100th the deaths per capita that the US and many European/South American countries have.

It's easy to see in the table below (which is 2 weeks old, but still relevant) that deaths per 1MM and cases per 1MM generally trend together, i.e., those countries with low case rates, per capita, are the ones with low death rates, per capita (the table is sorted from high to low deaths per capita). Just about every country with over 1000 deaths/1MM has over 35,000 cases/1MM, while almost every country with under 40 deaths/1MM has under 2000 cases/1MM (except Singapore, who has, by far, the highest testing rate per case, so have found far more asymptomatics than anyone). And the way to keep cases and deaths low is to keep cases low from the beginning, by doing testing (with fast results), so that the testing can actually be used to isolate cases and prevent new ones.

The ~520K dead in the US is certainly in the range of what I said was possible a year ago, just based on simple death rate comparison vs. the flu, if we did nothing, i.e., 120K to 1.2MM dead - and we didn't do much more than nothing relative to what the successful countries did. Yes, we've done a lot of tests, but with little intelligence behind them (so isolation and tracing can stop the spread) and starting way too late, letting epidemics break out. And yes, some think we made great sacrifices, but I doubt we've ever had more than 60-70% masking, especially in private homes with small family/friends gatherings, where most transmissions likely occur (as well as the big gatherings too) and 95-100% masking in indoor public spaces (which we only ever had in some states anyway), but 60-70% masking in private is simply not enough to do more than slow the spread.

So, a year later we're here and the one thing we've done extraordinarily well is developing vaccines for this virus, thanks to some of the best scientists in the world, collaborating worldwide for decades on vaccine research, and excellent support from Operation Warp Speed. I know many thought this would take 18-24 months given the fastest vaccine to market had been over about 4 years, but I truly thought we'd have a vaccine ready for the public by the end of the year, even back in April and fortunately that ended up being correct. And after a rough start to distribution, vaccination rates are climbing rapidly and we have a chance to slow this pandemic significantly and to even hopefully stamp it out - if we can get to herd immunity (70-80% probably) from vaccinations, combined with infections (with ~30% infected/mostly immune), ASAP, especially before the more transmissible variants can cause case/death increases again.

We'll have enough doses by the end of March to vaccinate 40% of (110MM of 270MM) all adults and as per the President's announcement the other day, we should have enough vaccines for every adult by the end of May, so we ought to be able to vaccinate at least 60-70% of adults by then, which will be very close to herd immunity. Hopefully, we'll be back to "normal" by mid/late summer if we can get enough people vaccinated and if we dont see new variants emerge which can evade our vaccines (a real threat, especially with the rest of the world not being close to herd immunity by then, which increases the likelihood of such a variant - which we can make boosters for quickly, but distribution still takes months). Anyway, I hope to be in Rutgers Stadium with the rest of you fanatics, without a mask, for our first game in September. We'll see...

CGqNjt6.png
So the US is 3rd worse in deaths per MM. Not a podium you want to be on. Belgium is listed #1 but they count all nursing home deaths as covid by design and on purpose. So their reporting is inaccurate compared to the rest of the world. As of November 64% of their covid deaths were from nursing homes even though they all didn't die of Covid.

So the US is 3rd worse in deaths per MM. Not a podium you want to be on. Belgium is listed #1 but they count all nursing home deaths as covid by design and on purpose. So their reporting is inaccurate compared to the rest of the world. As of November 64% of their covid deaths were from nursing homes even though they all didn't die of Covid.
According to worldometer US is number 11 in deaths per capita and Sweden with no lockdowns or BS is number 23.

well that speaks to the failures of the CDC, Fauci, scientists and health experts. These are the people who were asleep at the wheel, we have Fauci from as late as mid February downplaying the virus. Was he lying there..not sure
I thought he said no masks in March? That is not politics. He’s making educated guesses

Summary: Wanted to elaborate on the post above, by comparing death rates per capita in NJ/NY vs. other states, showing how we would've had far lower rates if we weren't hit so early and so hard. This is because I see so many people who say that NJ/NY (and other NE US states like MA/RI/CT) have "done horribly" during the pandemic because our deaths, per capita, are the 1st and 2nd highest in the US (at around 2400-2600 deaths/1MM). NJ/NY would both have death rates ranging from near the middle of the pack in the US to well below the middle of the pack for death rates per capita in the US, depending on which of 2 scenarios played out with regard to being the first ones hit and hit so hard and having such high death rates early on (twice what was seen in later waves), which is easy to see when comparing against a more "typical" state, like Texas or Florida or California, which were barely hit in the spring, but hit hard in the summer and harder in the winter. NY/NJ had 50-60% of our deaths in the spring, while most states typically had only ~10% of their deaths in the spring.

Details: As per numerous previous posts of mine, the deaths per hospitalization in the spring wave in NJ/NY were double what was seen during the summer in the 2nd wave all over the US and in the winter wave all over the US, including NJ/NY. This halving of death rates, post-spring was largely due to having more efficaceous treatments and having significantly improved medical procedures (especially on dealing with anoxic/ventilated patients), which were developed by the end of the spring wave (we were the guinea pigs). All of the deaths/death rate/population data, below are from Worldometers:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...es-interventions-and-more.198855/post-4685139

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us

And keep in mind that we're comparing crappy to really crappy performance in the US relative to a host of East Asian and African countries that have per capita death rates that are 1/20th to 1/100th of the US's (and most of Europe/South America too), mostly due to far better testing-tracing-isolating, augmented by better masking/distancing. I just wanted to show that NJ and NY are nowhere near the crappiest if one takes into account how early and hard we were hit (including the much higher deaths/hosp we absorbed in the spring).

𝗦𝗰𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗼 𝟭: 𝗛𝗮𝗹𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗗𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀/𝗛𝗼𝘀𝗽 𝗶𝗻 𝗦𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝗡𝗝/𝗡𝗬:

If one halves the deaths/hosp for the spring wave, then NJ/NY both drop to about 1640-1780 deaths/1MM, which would put both states in the 15-25th range in the US, given that both NJ/NY had 50-60% of their deaths in the spring, when death rates per hospitalization were much greater, while the vast majority of states had ~10% (or less) of their deaths in the spring. Specifically, NJ had about 15,040 deaths in the spring and 8310 since spring, so that would've been about 15,830 (15,040/2 + 8310) deaths/8.88MM or 1780 deaths/1MM, while NY had about 32,000 deaths in the spring and 16,000 since the spring, so that would've been about 32,000 deaths (32K/2 + 16K)/19.45MM or 1645 deaths/1MM.

𝗦𝗰𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗼 𝟮: 𝗛𝗮𝗹𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀/𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗽 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗮𝗹𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗮𝘀𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗦𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝗡𝗝/𝗡𝗬

In addition to being hit first, we had almost no interventions in place when the virus was silently multiplying exponentially in the densest population areas in the country (with very high commuting densities). Again, as I posted many times back in the spring, if we had had any testing in place we could have put interventions like distancing/masking in place well before mid/late March, when testing started getting going, and likely avoided a large chunk of those spring cases/deaths on top of halving the death rates as discussed above. We also would've likely started the stay-at-home orders 1-2 weeks earlier, which several studies have said would've saved 50-80% of the lives lost in wave 1. Even if it was just a 50% reduction in cases/deaths, that added on top of halving the deaths per hospitalization in the spring, would've dropped NJ/NY even further down in death rates, overall.

If we had had 50% less cases/deaths in the spring due to better testing and earlier interventions and had the lower death rates in the spring that other states have seen since summer (meaning roughly 1/4 the deaths we had in the spring), NJ would have had 12,070 total deaths (3760 in spring vs. 15,040 actually in the spring, plus 8310 since spring), which translates to about half of the current 23.2K NJ deaths, which would bring the per capita death rate down from 2640 to 1360/1MM, which would place NJ at about 30th in the US. And NY would have had 24,000 total deaths (8000 in spring vs. 32,000 actually in the spring, plus 16,000 since spring), which translates to about half of the current 48K NY deaths, which would bring the per capita death rate down from 2480 to 1240/1MM, which would place NY at 34th in the US. Both states would have lower death rates per capita than Texas (1540/1MM) and Florida (1470 deaths/1MM), if we had not been hit first and so hard.

𝗗𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀/𝟭𝗠𝗠 𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝗳 𝗠𝗮𝘆 𝗶𝗻 𝗦𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗦𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀

And if we wanted to see how states have done since the first wave, which nobody was really prepared for, but which NJ/NY were hit far harder in, as detailed above, things really get interesting. Just looking at deaths per 1MM people in selected states (mostly the ones I've discussed before, as per the post linked above), since the end of May, it shows that NJ/NY have better records than most other states (would be in the 35-40th range out of 50 states). People in this area have responded pretty well and only had one significant peak since spring, which was half the peak (in hospitalizations) vs. the spring and had about 1/4 the death rate vs. spring, due to the improved treatments/procedures as discussed previously. I'm only showing the graphs (from the link below) for NJ/NY/FL/TX, just to show the shapes of the trajectories of cases/hosp/deaths.

https://covidtracking.com/data

Arizona: 15,183 deaths/7.28MM = 2085 deaths/1MM
South Dakota: 1832 deaths/0.88MM = 2081 deaths/1MM
Texas: 42,561 deaths/28.99MM = 1468 deaths/1MM
Florida: 28,826 deaths/21.48MM = 1340 deaths/1MM
Calilfornia: 48,801 deaths/39.51MM = 1235 deaths/1MM
New Jersey: 10,049 deaths/8.88MM = 1131 deaths/1MM
New York: 17.675 deaths/19.45MM = 908 deaths/1MM

lOC78Tn.png

yVZ1nO7.png

uSVEIag.png

eqtax5j.png
Geez, another "War and Peace" post.
raw

According to worldometer US is number 11 in deaths per capita and Sweden with no lockdowns or BS is number 23.
Wow, so they're slightly lower than the US and a few countries in Europe, but are clearly in the "really crappy" list of countries that nobody should be looking at as examples of how to fight a pandemic. Also, remember that out of countries with over 15MM people on the WM list, the US is 3rd in deaths per capita. The list I posted is only "major" countries of over 50MM people with some selected countries people might be interested in with under 50MM people (that included Sweden).

Reactions: Greg2020
Had my second Pfizer yesterday 8am. Was pretty much fine throughout the day, just some arm soreness. Then at 3am I woke up with a pretty bad fever/chills/body aches. Was not able to fall back asleep. Fever started to subside tho and at 7:30 I got up and showered, and felt decent enough to go to work. Here now and still not 100% but decent enough. I’m 24 btw.

Had my second Pfizer yesterday 8am. Was pretty much fine throughout the day, just some arm soreness. Then at 3am I woke up with a pretty bad fever/chills/body aches. Was not able to fall back asleep. Fever started to subside tho and at 7:30 I got up and showered, and felt decent enough to go to work. Here now and still not 100% but decent enough. I’m 24 btw.
That sounds almost exactly like what my son's response to dose 2 was. Hoping I'm old enough to have more minor side effects from dose 2, lol. My 87 year old father had no side effects from dose 2 (where the older one is, on average, the lesser the side effects, since immune systems become less active as one ages - we were talking about this in the previous thread - not sure if everyone saw that).

Reactions: Greg2020 and RU23
For those folks who keep saying vaccine "passports" aren't coming for travel, the workplace and public events...they're very likely coming, as per the story below on multiple tech vendors developing and testing such systems in NYC right now.

With the limited resumption of sporting events at venues in New York, Madison Square Garden and the Barclays Center will be used as testing grounds for a new digital pass that could confirm the owner's COVID status. It will confirm an individual's vaccination or recent negative coronavirus test. First tested at the Brooklyn Nets game at Barclays Center on Feb. 27, the Excelsior Pass created with IBM, was tested for a second time during the New York Rangers game on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden.

"We're doing everything we can to vaccinate as many New Yorkers as possible, as quickly as possible, while keeping the infection rate down and reenergizing our economy in a safe, smart way," said Gov. Cuomo. "As we begin reopening the valves on different sectors of our economy, we are putting guidelines in place to ensure individuals attending events involving larger gatherings have tested negative for COVID or have been vaccinated to avoid an outbreak of the virus. "

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/ny-testing-covid-passport

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/alabama-set-to-play-in-full-stadium.213005/post-4991516

For those folks who keep saying vaccine "passports" aren't coming for travel, the workplace and public events...they're very likely coming, as per the story below on multiple tech vendors developing and testing such systems in NYC right now.

With the limited resumption of sporting events at venues in New York, Madison Square Garden and the Barclays Center will be used as testing grounds for a new digital pass that could confirm the owner's COVID status. It will confirm an individual's vaccination or recent negative coronavirus test. First tested at the Brooklyn Nets game at Barclays Center on Feb. 27, the Excelsior Pass created with IBM, was tested for a second time during the New York Rangers game on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden.

"We're doing everything we can to vaccinate as many New Yorkers as possible, as quickly as possible, while keeping the infection rate down and reenergizing our economy in a safe, smart way," said Gov. Cuomo. "As we begin reopening the valves on different sectors of our economy, we are putting guidelines in place to ensure individuals attending events involving larger gatherings have tested negative for COVID or have been vaccinated to avoid an outbreak of the virus. "

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/ny-testing-covid-passport

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/alabama-set-to-play-in-full-stadium.213005/post-4991516
Reminds me of the old Rutgers Football "Parking Pass" Where you would just make copies and hand them off to all your friends. Pay for one and get 10 cars in.

Reactions: bac2therac
Just because you're young doesn't mean you don't have conditions that make you vulnerable. That's not 'skipping the line.'

Plus NJ's qualifications make a majority of the state eligible for the shot anyway.
Thanks for sticking up for me to the troll but to clarify I don’t have any conditions, and I don’t live in NJ. I work at FBI HQ and have to go into the office every day so was eligible under law enforcement. Guy in the cubicle next to me got covid in early Jan but thanks to mask-wearing and distancing none of the rest of us got it. Was behind most of my coworkers in getting an appointment but now we’re all vaccinated pretty much which is really awesome.

Reminds me of the old Rutgers Football "Parking Pass" Where you would just make copies and hand them off to all your friends. Pay for one and get 10 cars in.
I'm not saying it might not be a shitshow, but I will be surprised if we don't see it for football games, unless our case rates are extraordinarily low by then (they could be if enough people decide to get vaccinated). Would obviously mean one would need to get in line earlier to get in by kickoff.

Thanks for sticking up for me to the troll but to clarify I don’t have any conditions, and I don’t live in NJ. I work at FBI HQ and have to go into the office every day so was eligible under law enforcement. Guy in the cubicle next to me got covid in early Jan but thanks to mask-wearing and distancing none of the rest of us got it. Was behind most of my coworkers in getting an appointment but now we’re all vaccinated pretty much which is really awesome.

Lolz

I know people who wore masks and socially distanced but still got it. I do think they help but not 100%. Sick of them for sure and can’t wait until we get rid of them.

I'm not saying it might not be a shitshow, but I will be surprised if we don't see it for football games, unless our case rates are extraordinarily low by then (they could be if enough people decide to get vaccinated). Would obviously mean one would need to get in line earlier to get in by kickoff.
I'm hoping it's low enough by then because it's already a pain in the ass to get in the front gate. I go in through the Scarlet Lot gate and that is much better but adding in something like this will be a cluster F

Well, a year ago today, 3/3, was one of the most surreal days in my life, as we very likely clinched an NCAA tourney berth with that huge win over MD at home, which was euphoric, and after I got home, I immediately washed my clothes, took a shower and hoped I didn't do something dumb by going to that game and getting infected. That day was the start of our quarantine, as our son had moved home earlier in the day, as he's immunocompromised (as is my wife), and his roommates were completely unconcered with the coming pandemic.

That was the last day any of us went anywhere indoors in public without a mask on and we generally only went to places to shop very late at night to avoid other humans and we had a fairly elaborate decontamination system for groceries, takeout, mail/packages etc. (which we relaxed significantly a few months later after it became clearer that surface transmission was rare). And outside of doing some outdoors, socially distant visits with friends, it was the last time we hung out with other humans. As I've acknowledged before, I thought this wouldn't necessarily be much worse than a flu through early Feb, but by mid/late Feb, I was posting about it becoming a pandemic and I made the post above on 3/1/20 and started the first COVID science thread by 3/4, as it was obvious where we were headed by then.

And unfortunately, just about the worst case scenario has played out in NJ, the US, and in much of Europe and South America, with this pandemic killing millions (2.5MM so far and over 500K in the US) and infecting over 110MM as per PCR virus testing and likely having infected over half a billion people in actuality. Only countries that stopped/greatly slowed transmissions, usually by some combo of testing. tracing, and isolating to detect minor outbreaks and prevent them from growing into major outbreaks, augmented by distancing (which occasionally meant lockdowns for some)/masking to greatly reduce transmissions in general (this was all in our underused pandemic playbook). Many of these countries only have 1/20th to 1/100th the deaths per capita that the US and many European/South American countries have.

It's easy to see in the table below (which is 2 weeks old, but still relevant) that deaths per 1MM and cases per 1MM generally trend together, i.e., those countries with low case rates, per capita, are the ones with low death rates, per capita (the table is sorted from high to low deaths per capita). Just about every country with over 1000 deaths/1MM has over 35,000 cases/1MM, while almost every country with under 40 deaths/1MM has under 2000 cases/1MM (except Singapore, who has, by far, the highest testing rate per case, so have found far more asymptomatics than anyone). And the way to keep cases and deaths low is to keep cases low from the beginning, by doing testing (with fast results), so that the testing can actually be used to isolate cases and prevent new ones.

The ~520K dead in the US is certainly in the range of what I said was possible a year ago, just based on simple death rate comparison vs. the flu, if we did nothing, i.e., 120K to 1.2MM dead - and we didn't do much more than nothing relative to what the successful countries did. Yes, we've done a lot of tests, but with little intelligence behind them (so isolation and tracing can stop the spread) and starting way too late, letting epidemics break out. And yes, some think we made great sacrifices, but I doubt we've ever had more than 60-70% masking, especially in private homes with small family/friends gatherings, where most transmissions likely occur (as well as the big gatherings too) and 95-100% masking in indoor public spaces (which we only ever had in some states anyway), but 60-70% masking in private is simply not enough to do more than slow the spread.

So, a year later we're here and the one thing we've done extraordinarily well is developing vaccines for this virus, thanks to some of the best scientists in the world, collaborating worldwide for decades on vaccine research, and excellent support from Operation Warp Speed. I know many thought this would take 18-24 months given the fastest vaccine to market had been over about 4 years, but I truly thought we'd have a vaccine ready for the public by the end of the year, even back in April and fortunately that ended up being correct. And after a rough start to distribution, vaccination rates are climbing rapidly and we have a chance to slow this pandemic significantly and to even hopefully stamp it out - if we can get to herd immunity (70-80% probably) from vaccinations, combined with infections (with ~30% infected/mostly immune), ASAP, especially before the more transmissible variants can cause case/death increases again.

We'll have enough doses by the end of March to vaccinate 40% of (110MM of 270MM) all adults and as per the President's announcement the other day, we should have enough vaccines for every adult by the end of May, so we ought to be able to vaccinate at least 60-70% of adults by then, which will be very close to herd immunity. Hopefully, we'll be back to "normal" by mid/late summer if we can get enough people vaccinated and if we dont see new variants emerge which can evade our vaccines (a real threat, especially with the rest of the world not being close to herd immunity by then, which increases the likelihood of such a variant - which we can make boosters for quickly, but distribution still takes months). Anyway, I hope to be in Rutgers Stadium with the rest of you fanatics, without a mask, for our first game in September. We'll see...

CGqNjt6.png
Was there a reason you don’t see our favorite CHINA listed here ?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I know people who wore masks and socially distanced but still got it. I do think they help but not 100%. Sick of them for sure and can’t wait until we get rid of them.
I agree masks are annoying but they certainly help. I got something called angular cheilitis from wearing mine so much (and probably not washing often enough). Doctor said it’s usually found in old people but that she’s been seeing a ton of it lately due to the masks. Annoying obviously but not the end of the world.

I agree masks are annoying but they certainly help. I got something called angular cheilitis from wearing mine so much (and probably not washing often enough). Doctor said it’s usually found in old people but that she’s been seeing a ton of it lately due to the masks. Annoying obviously but not the end of the world.
That blows but it says it will likely go away right? I’m more concerned with my lungs and breathing when working out. Warm weather is coming so I’ll just get outdoors like I did last March-November.

Reactions: RU23
It will be. You can store it on your phone or print it out. Which means you can send it to anyone that needs it.

I highly doubt you will be able to just sent to anyone. If they can figure it out for a bus pass, pretty sure they can figure this out.

I highly doubt you will be able to just sent to anyone. If they can figure it out for a bus pass, pretty sure they can figure this out.
Read the articles #s posted. Doesn't sound very sophisticated. If you can print it out at home then it's not very high tech. All your friends would need is a printer or smartphone.
Scalpers will have a field day. Selling tickets and vaccinations QR codes.

China is listed. As I said that list is in descending order of deaths per capita and they're near the bottom. Even if deaths were 10X what was reported in Wuhan, as I think they were, they'd still be near the bottom.

Gonna go out on a limb and say they have this figured out.

NJ hit 1.5M first doses. We were at 1M on 2/15. At the rate we are currently going at, we’ll hit the 4.7M goal sometime in May, maybe even at the end of April.
Add 3 weeks for fully vaccinated

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT