OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
After much discussion, our staff has decided to one final COVID thread, HERE is the link to the old one should you feel the need to go back and reference something. The old thread once again had people started to bring politics into it.

I don't know how many time I have to say it, but NO POLITICS in this thread. If you bring politics into the thread there will be no warnings and you will be banned from the thread permanently. No more warnings.

Here's my anecdotal shot reaction report.

I had my first shot (Pfizer) 2/6 at the Javits Center - very smooth process, no waiting, only reaction was minor arm pain, like a flu shot. Kept waiting for something to happen and it didn't.

The second shot was Saturday, 2/27, about 11am, place was a little more crowded, probably from those of us getting second shots but only had to wait about 5 min. About 6 hrs after it, I started feeling tired, and by another 6 hrs later (11pm) I was feeling pretty crummy; muscle and joint pain, slight fever, chills, a little nausea (never threw up), all of which I'd call moderate. I hardly slept at all that night, just couldn't get comfortable. Felt the same the next morning but by about 10pm Sunday I was feeling better and slept well that night. Some joint pain was still around Monday but it diminished as the day wore on. Today (Tuesday) I feel fine.

And btw, I registered for v-safe where you can report your symptoms.

Thanks for bringing back the thread Richie. It is very useful when we avoid the bickering.

I had my first shot (Pfizer) 2/6 at the Javits Center - very smooth process, no waiting, only reaction was minor arm pain, like a flu shot. Kept waiting for something to happen and it didn't.

The second shot was Saturday, 2/27, about 11am, place was a little more crowded, probably from those of us getting second shots but only had to wait about 5 min. About 6 hrs after it, I started feeling tired, and by another 6 hrs later (11pm) I was feeling pretty crummy; muscle and joint pain, slight fever, chills, a little nausea (never threw up), all of which I'd call moderate. I hardly slept at all that night, just couldn't get comfortable. Felt the same the next morning but by about 10pm Sunday I was feeling better and slept well that night. Some joint pain was still around Monday but it diminished as the day wore on. Today (Tuesday) I feel fine.

Thanks for the info. I have my 2nd Pfizer shot tomorrow 8am. The other day my dentist said she and her workers mostly got moderna, and many had similar side effects, many were fine. She also said 2 of her grandparents got moderna and were totally fine. Seems like luck of the draw.

Thanks for bringing back the thread Richie. It is very useful when we avoid the bickering.

Thanks for the info. I have my 2nd Pfizer shot tomorrow 8am. The other day my dentist said she and her workers mostly got moderna, and many had similar side effects, many were fine. She also said 2 of her grandparents got moderna and were totally fine. Seems like luck of the draw.

FWIW, my wife and I had both shots of Pfizer and neither of us had any reaction at all, so who knows.

Just ran into a young 30 yo guy who said he got shot cause he travels a lot. Claimed Same thing. It was Moderna and 2nd shot he said he got good fever and was out for 30 hrs. I, the end still worth it but he was concerned if his older grandparents in their 80s get a 103 fever.
Wife got both phizers and not much. Reading Pfizer is now deemed 80% against serious illness after 1st shot.
I was exposed to covid (didn't know till 5 days later) 2 weekends ago but got 1st shot on Monday the day after. Never felt a thing either from shot or covid 10 days ago. Great timing.

The timeline for every American to be able to receive a vaccine is now by the end of May, moved up from end of July due to production increases. So some good news there.

Sure would be nice if this was indeed the final COVID thread then!
I think we can all agree on that.

Repeating and slightly expanding on my post from the other thread...

𝗕𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗼𝗺 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝘀𝗸𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀: 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝟭 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 (𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘇𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝗳𝗮𝗿), 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝟱𝟬-𝟲𝟰 𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽 (𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀) 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗽𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘇𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗖𝗢𝗩𝗜𝗗 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯-𝟰𝘅 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 ~𝟭𝟮,𝟬𝟬𝟬 𝗽𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝗠𝗠. 𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟭𝟴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 4𝟬 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝘂𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲.

Here's some details on what I just posted above. For people in my age group (50-64), the risk of any serious vaccine side effects are well less than 1 in 1MM (and no actual serious side effects have been seen yet, except for anaphylaxis in highly allergic people - the risk for that is maybe 2-3 in 1MM and is well known), which is extremely low. And the risk of death from vaccination, so far is essentially zero (none reported due to the vaccine).

On the other hand, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~3500 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID if you're 50-64 or even the ~11,000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. For those 40-49, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~1000 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID or the 3000-4000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. Even for those 18-29, the benefit of vaccination is avoiding the ~100 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID.

I just want to see people avoid a potentially deadly/debilitating disease that is well over 3000X more deadly than a vaccine. FYI, the numbers are about 72K deaths in the 50-69 age group and out of ~60MM total, in that group, ~35% are estimated to have been infected (~21MM) so far, which gets one the ~3500 deaths per 1MM number (and of those 21MM infected, about 4-5MM have had positive COVID PCR tests, so the death rates for people who have had positive COVID tests is about 4-5X higher. Similar calcs for other age groups...

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku/data

Just ran into a young 30 yo guy who said he got shot cause he travels a lot. Claimed Same thing. It was Moderna and 2nd shot he said he got good fever and was out for 30 hrs. I, the end still worth it but he was concerned if his older grandparents in their 80s get a 103 fever.
Wife got both phizers and not much. Reading Pfizer is now deemed 80% against serious illness after 1st shot.
I was exposed to covid (didn't know till 5 days later) 2 weekends ago but got 1st shot on Monday the day after. Never felt a thing either from shot or covid 10 days ago. Great timing.
Good to hear you didn't get COVID! Also, minor/moderate side effects (pain, headache, fever, chills, etc., i.e., flu-like symptoms) are more common in younger people with more active immune systems. My father got almost no effects from shot #2, while my son was knocked out for 18-24 hrs with flu-like symptoms.

Good to hear you didn't get COVID! Also, minor/moderate side effects (pain, headache, fever, chills, etc., i.e., flu-like symptoms) are more common in younger people with more active immune systems. My father got almost no effects from shot #2, while my son was knocked out for 18-24 hrs with flu-like symptoms.
Thanks numbers. Interesting to know.

Reactions: RU848789
I had my first yesterday. Now after 24 hours other than a bit sore to the touch in the immediate area I just have some stiffness. I did fall asleep yesterday afternoon an hour or so and feeling tired, I went to bed early and slept 8 hours plus which is a long time for me. No headache or chills.

Agreed, thanks Richie.

Hospitalizations have taken a path upward as all of the other metrics,discharges,intensive care,those on ventilators are plummeting.

The question that comes to mind:Are more marginal cases being admitted and higher standards for discharges being put in place for financial reasons?That's not politics but merely a suspicion of greed clouding the issue.

Numbers or others. Could you provide a view on the efficacy of JJ. Earlier vaccines results were considered after a longer time period had eclipsed. Is The MRNA really that superior?

I am getting in earlier than expected and guessing they have JJ vaccine to give more liberally.

Numbers or others. Could you provide a view on the efficacy of JJ. Earlier vaccines results were considered after a longer time period had eclipsed. Is The MRNA really that superior?

I am getting in earlier than expected and guessing they have JJ vaccine to give more liberally.
Posted this on Friday. I think the efficacy differences (with regard to preventing mild/moderate COVID) could be at least partly due to different locations and timing/variants for the J&J vs. mRNA vaccines. Plus #1, #2, and #3 most important is that they all seem to prevent hospitalization and death, so I would take any of them if offered.

"In the least surprising news of the day, the FDA advisory panel voted 22-0 to recommend and Emergency Use Authorization of the J&J single shot adenovirus vector vaccine. Great news for everyone. Efficacy is probably a bit lower than the mRNA vaccines (but that's harder to read since Pfizer/Moderna ran their trials earlier and didn't likely encounter some of the new variants, while J&J did), but the take home message for all of them is that they all prevent hospitalizations and deaths after full dosing (after 28 days for J&J with full immune response). That is so much more important than small efficacy differences and the refrigerated storage is a nice bonus. We need them all to beat the pandemic, worldwide, so this is a great day for science and humanity. Formal approval by the FDA should come tomorrow."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/world/FDA-Johnson-and-Johnson-vaccine.html

Reactions: RC1991 and pmvon
Hospitalizations have taken a path upward as all of the other metrics,discharges,intensive care,those on ventilators are plummeting.

The question that comes to mind:Are more marginal cases being admitted and higher standards for discharges being put in place for financial reasons?That's not politics but merely a suspicion of greed clouding the issue.

My friend told me yesterday that hospitalizations at his hospital in Central Jersey are real low right now.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Texas and Mississippi opening 100% dropping masks mandates and capacity restrictions..full steam ahead
Classic. Texas one of the worst states for vaccinations and Mississippi 5th most deaths per capita in the country from COVID, and it is not a very dense state, and was not hit first.

BTW, please don't get this thread locked like the last one.

Yes, as per the trial data, younger people are more prone to AEs (still mostly mild).

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
I should have mentioned that I'm 73 and my fever was 100.7. I didn't even think I had one. My 97 y/o MIL gets her second in 10 days and she felt nothing but injection site pain on the first - hopefully the same on the second.

Glad you never showed symptoms.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Repeating and slightly expanding on my post from the other thread...

𝗕𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗼𝗺 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝘀𝗸𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀: 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝟭 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 (𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘇𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝗳𝗮𝗿), 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝟱𝟬-𝟲𝟰 𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽 (𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀) 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗽𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘇𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗖𝗢𝗩𝗜𝗗 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯-𝟰𝘅 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 ~𝟭𝟮,𝟬𝟬𝟬 𝗽𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝗠𝗠. 𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟭𝟴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 4𝟬 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝘂𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲.

Here's some details on what I just posted above. For people in my age group (50-64), the risk of any serious vaccine side effects are well less than 1 in 1MM (and no actual serious side effects have been seen yet, except for anaphylaxis in highly allergic people - the risk for that is maybe 2-3 in 1MM and is well known), which is extremely low. And the risk of death from vaccination, so far is essentially zero (none reported due to the vaccine).

On the other hand, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~3500 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID if you're 50-64 or even the ~11,000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. For those 40-49, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~1000 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID or the 3000-4000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. Even for those 18-29, the benefit of vaccination is avoiding the ~100 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID.

I just want to see people avoid a potentially deadly/debilitating disease that is well over 3000X more deadly than a vaccine. FYI, the numbers are about 72K deaths in the 50-69 age group and out of ~60MM total, in that group, ~35% are estimated to have been infected (~21MM) so far, which gets one the ~3500 deaths per 1MM number (and of those 21MM infected, about 4-5MM have had positive COVID PCR tests, so the death rates for people who have had positive COVID tests is about 4-5X higher. Similar calcs for other age groups...

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku/data
When you say allergic people, do you mean seasonal/pet allergies or vaccine allergies?

Shocked I tell you.
Our borders should be closed to non citizens until we are free of restrictions and teachers unions agree to teach our children in person.

I’m waiting for the JNJ vaccine for the following reasons.
1) 1 shot versus two
2) I trust the company that made the products that washed me and kept me diaper rash free as a baby.
3) I worked in New Brunswick and have lived in NJ my entire life. I support the home team.
those are my reasons and I’m sticking to them.

I’m waiting for the JNJ vaccine for the following reasons.
1) 1 shot versus two
2) I trust the company that made the products that washed me and kept me diaper rash free as a baby.
3) I worked in New Brunswick and have lived in NJ my entire life. I support the home team.
those are my reasons and I’m sticking to them.
You know they have a bunch of lawsuits over hiding the safety of Talc and continued to use it in their products for years right?

Any younger than 65 patients Zap? I’m ready to go when they’re ready for me.

Texas and Mississippi opening 100% dropping masks mandates and capacity restrictions..full steam ahead

Will be interesting. I think it was you who clapped for Texas when they barely wore mask for like 2 weeks back a ways and opened back up. Only to be inundated within the hospitals and had to reverse course. Warmer weather, no big holidays, and vaccines will help prevent the hell they bestowed upon themselves in June and November. Hospitals were in bad shape and Texas won the prize of first state to reach one million cases. Yay for them!!!

Any younger than 65 patients Zap? I’m ready to go when they’re ready for me.

Friend got first vaccine in CVS this week. She is 54.

Science prevails.

Texas doesnt follow science and took many risks by not following common sense in the past. They dont give a crap, resisted science and took a big smack on the ass for it. They should fare better this time for the reasons I stated above.

Will be interesting. I think it was you who clapped for Texas when they barely wore mask for like 2 weeks back a ways and opened back up. Only to be inundated within the hospitals and had to reverse course. Warmer weather, no big holidays, and vaccines will help prevent the hell they bestowed upon themselves in June and November. Hospitals were in bad shape and Texas won the prize of first state to reach one million cases. Yay for them!!!

Friend got first vaccine in CVS this week. She is 54.

Texas doesnt follow science and took many risks by not following common sense in the past. They dont give a crap, resisted science and took a big smack on the ass for it. They should fare better this time for the reasons I stated above.
Who cares how many cases Texas had? NJ still leads death per capita. Texas is 21st on the list. Its not even close.

Shocked I tell you.
Our borders should be closed to non citizens until we are free of restrictions and teachers unions agree to teach our children in person.
Absolutely unreal. Do we have restrictions at airports for incoming travelers?

Most my family has now received vaccine as they are teachers/ essential workers. So I'll run down just for people here. From my experience moderna seems to had slightly more post shot symptoms.

wife- moderna- 1st shot minor fatigue/ 2nd major fatigue and fever
FIL- Pfizer fatigue on both
MIL- Moderna- 1st nothing/ 2nd major fatigue/ fever
SIL - Moderna- 1st nothing /2nd fatigue/ fever
BIL- Pfizer- 1st major fatigue/ 2nd nothing
SIL 2- Moderna- 1st nothing / 2nd major fatigue
BIL 2- Had Covid , nothing for both
Sister- Pfizer- nothing for both
Mom- Pfizer -1st shot minor fatigue

I should have mentioned that I'm 73 and my fever was 100.7. I didn't even think I had one. My 97 y/o MIL gets her second in 10 days and she felt nothing but injection site pain on the first - hopefully the same on the second.

Glad you never showed symptoms.
Nice of you to say and good for you and best to her. I hope I run into that 30 YO again to share the thoughts. Not sure how widely this "reaction by age" thing is but I know of no older folks walking away from vaccine like a bunch of younger folks I know (not a judgment comment). I think there is just more of a trust thing there for those generations. Plus the risk factor for sure.

I bowl in a Senior league on Thursday with several really older folks. By now most have gotten the shots so it will be an interesting test of the theory once I hear the stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT