ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now Murphy is warning the NY city variant is rushing through the city. Please tell the Governor he’s not up for recall . Pretty soon each state will have it’s own Covid 19 variant. It’s still the same virus.
No, actually they're not the same viruses and it does no good to spread misinformation. These variants are what happens over time with probabilistic mutation frequency, where some of the random variations produce more "successful" variants which can be transmitted more easily and/or elude the body's immune defense, even when energized by a vaccine.

People shouldn't panic over them, but sooner or later a variant may emerge which completely eludes our vaccines and then we'll have a problem - not an insurmountable problem, as developing vaccines modified to address such variants can be done in weeks and on the market in under 2 months, but it'll likely mean booster shots for everyone who already is vaccinated - unless we can vaccinate the world to herd immunity before such a variant emerges.

It's really simple: stopping/slowing transmissions is the best way to stop/slow mutation and vaccinations and masks/distancing are the best way to stop/slow transmissions.

More good news on Regeneron's cocktail of two monoclonal antibodies for treatment/prevention of COVID (first link). The ongoing trial with mild to moderately ill COVID outpatients (not serious enough to be in a hospital), which showed good results at an interim analysis, was stopped by the IDMB (independent data monitoring board), as their review showed unequivocally strong efficacy (i.e., driving down viral loads and not allowing progression to severe COVID vs. placebo) for the cocktail, meaning it would be unethical to continue with a placebo arm of the trial.

They also said their cocktail appears to still be able to fend off the new variants, due to the differences in design of the two antibodies, targeting different parts of the virus's spike protein and in particular, in the lab theirs is still effective against the South African variant, while the Lilly antibody combo is not (2nd link). They expect to publish the results in March and expect to have 1.25MM doses (if the lower dose is approved - not clear on that - would be half that if not) by June.

While that's nowhere near enough doses at 50-100K infections per day, currently, if vaccinations and behaviors can continue to drive transmissions down to maybe 10-20K/day, which I think is likely by April, then that would likely be enough cocktail doses for most people who get infected, meaning we'd have great prevention (vaccines) and treatments in place for nearly everyone. I had always thought Regeneron would come through and be effective, but will admit it took longer than expected (EUAs weren't issued until Nov - was expecting Sept) and has been overshadowed by the vaccines (3rd link).

https://endpts.com/regeneron-halts-...nds-clear-efficacy-but-there-are-no-data-yet/

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/reg...uth-africa-variant-lillys-does-not-study-2021

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-covid-science-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-90-effective-regeneron-antibody-cocktail-looks-very-promising-in-phase-ii-iii-trial-and-more.203426/post-4922821

No, actually they're not the same viruses and it does no good to spread misinformation. These variants are what happens over time with probabilistic mutation frequency, where some of the random variations produce more "successful" variants which can be transmitted more easily and/or elude the body's immune defense, even when energized by a vaccine.

People shouldn't panic over them, but sooner or later a variant may emerge which completely eludes our vaccines and then we'll have a problem - not an insurmountable problem, as developing vaccines modified to address such variants can be done in weeks and on the market in under 2 months, but it'll likely mean booster shots for everyone who already is vaccinated - unless we can vaccinate the world to herd immunity before such a variant emerges.

It's really simple: stopping/slowing transmissions is the best way to stop/slow mutation and vaccinations and masks/distancing are the best way to stop/slow transmissions.
Well numbers I’m not spreading misinformation . It is from the same virus. Originally known as covid19. Yes believe it or not I’m very aware of how and why it changes and sometimes disappears. What is strange is in one day we have new reports of a California variant, NJ variant and a NY variant. And we already know there is a highly questionable variant in DC. Most people aren’t scared anymore. Cautious or apprehensive perhaps but after a year people for the most part do what they need to do. The booster vaccine already being tested against the UK variant from which some believe started during fall. One thing though don’t accuse someone of spreading falsehoods when it’s untrue. Your biggest fault is accusing others of being uneducated and attempting to spread lies. Even if you slow the spread the virus will continue changing except if you reside in China.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Well numbers I’m not spreading misinformation . It is from the same virus. Originally known as covid19. Yes believe it or not I’m very aware of how and why it changes and sometimes disappears. What is strange is in one day we have new reports of a California variant, NJ variant and a NY variant. And we already know there is a highly questionable variant in DC. Most people aren’t scared anymore. Cautious or apprehensive perhaps but after a year people for the most part do what they need to do. The booster vaccine already being tested against the UK variant from which some believe started during fall. One thing though don’t accuse someone of spreading falsehoods when it’s untrue. Your biggest fault is accusing others of being uneducated and attempting to spread lies. Even if you slow the spread the virus will continue changing except if you reside in China.
And you're still wrong. These variants, by definition, are not the same virus - highly related, yes, but not the same, and they don't have the same transmission and vaccine/immune response susceptibilities. This isn't up for debate. It's not a fault to point out when people are wrong and spreading misinformation, as you have done on this topic and others - it's called setting the record straight. I also don't think anyone has ever accused me of "spreading lies" before - you might want to try to back that up with an example or else take it back.

Reactions: brad1218
And you're still wrong. These variants, by definition, are not the same virus - highly related, yes, but not the same, and they don't have the same transmission and vaccine/immune response susceptibilities. This isn't up for debate. It's not a fault to point out when people are wrong and spreading misinformation, as you have done on this topic and others - it's called setting the record straight. I also don't think anyone has ever accused me of "spreading lies" before - you might want to try to back that up with an example or else take it back.
You can twist the narrative all you want . So these variant changes are not related to the original novel Covid 19. See by you saying wrong again and in the same sentence say” highly related” but not the same . Transmission and response to vaccines is different doesn’t make it a “ new “ virus. The viral ancestry of this lab induced virus is one and the same. You are a typical left side of the brain escape artist. This has nothing to do with what someone posted months ago and it is not only me questioning the sudden multiple virus claims going around the country. You just spread a lie about me saying “ spreading misinformation “. That is a great left sided media take . If we didn’t have this covid19 we would have no other variants. I don’t take anything back . Last I checked you and I still are able to have an opinion .

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
So 7 states totaling over 250 k deaths California, NY, Texas,Florida , NJ , Pennsylvania , Illinois the other 250k spread out amongst the remaining 43 states. Why did the new improved “ California” variant develop? Why not in any of the other

What is the population of those 7 States compared to the other 43?

You can figure it out tom1944 ... if those 7 states account for 250+ k then the others probably make up the other part of the equation.

You can figure it out tom1944 ... if those 7 states account for 250+ k then the others probably make up the other part of the equation.

I did they make up a little less than half the US population so it is not unexpected they would have half the deaths

You can twist the narrative all you want . So these variant changes are not related to the original novel Covid 19. See by you saying wrong again and in the same sentence say” highly related” but not the same . Transmission and response to vaccines is different doesn’t make it a “ new “ virus. The viral ancestry of this lab induced virus is one and the same. You are a typical left side of the brain escape artist. This has nothing to do with what someone posted months ago and it is not only me questioning the sudden multiple virus claims going around the country. You just spread a lie about me saying “ spreading misinformation “. That is a great left sided media take . If we didn’t have this covid19 we would have no other variants. I don’t take anything back . Last I checked you and I still are able to have an opinion .
Bob - there's no twisting. These mutations have been painstakingly documented across the world by virologists using highly reliable genetic sequencing tools Is it that you don't believe that there are mutated versions of the original SARS-CoV-2 virus, which was first seen in China, circulating around the world? Their differences in transmission and ability to be evade antibodies are based largely on lab studies to date, along with epidemiological studies where the variants are predominant, and the differences clearly seem to be real. Do you also not believe that these differences in transmission and response to the immune system are real?

If you don't believe the mutations are real and/or that the impacts of those mutations are real, why not? Do you simply not trust scientists - you know, the kind that have developed the vaccines that will likely save millions of lives around the world and hundreds of thousands of American lives? You also seem to be saying that this is a "lab induced virus" - that would be news to the rest of the world - care to share your research on that? To be honest, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say, as logic and coherence aren't your strong suits. You're welcome to your opinion, of course, even if it's demonstrably in error.

They need to produce a lot more than that and develop some procedure to administer it. Seems random right now who gets it and often too late to get anyone’s attention until you’re in the hospital. Then they won’t admin it. Maybe that changes? Part of the hospital treatment?

I did they make up a little less than half the US population so it is not unexpected they would have half the deaths
The point is they have half the deaths which still does not make it acceptable. Are you saying because of the larger population demographic automatically equates to higher deaths . I may accept New Jersey’s density levels but not New York nor California since the land areas are more spread out . Seems like that is just another excuse. Let’s call it undocumented 😷

The point is they have half the deaths which still does not make it acceptable. Are you saying because of the larger population demographic automatically equates to higher deaths . I may accept New Jersey’s density levels but not New York nor California since the land areas are more spread out . Seems like that is just another excuse. Let’s call it undocumented 😷
Actually it is documented. Other than NY and NJ per capita the rest aren't the worst. And your not accepting NY which has the most densely populated city in the US which accounts for 30 of the 42 million deaths in the state. You are way off base on this issue.
All these states should be called out by you as well as they are ahead of the rest of states you listed.

Rhode Island: 235
Population: 1.1 million

Massachusetts: 231
Population: 6.9 million

Mississippi: 222
Population: 3 million

Arizona: 216
Population: 7.3 million

Connecticut: 213
Population: 3.6 million

South Dakota: 211
Population: 884,659

Louisiana: 205
Population: 4.6 million

Alabama: 199
Population: 4.9 million

North Dakota: 193
Population: 762,062

More good news on Regeneron's cocktail of two monoclonal antibodies for treatment/prevention of COVID (first link). The ongoing trial with mild to moderately ill COVID outpatients (not serious enough to be in a hospital), which showed good results at an interim analysis, was stopped by the IDMB (independent data monitoring board), as their review showed unequivocally strong efficacy (i.e., driving down viral loads and not allowing progression to severe COVID vs. placebo) for the cocktail, meaning it would be unethical to continue with a placebo arm of the trial.

They also said their cocktail appears to still be able to fend off the new variants, due to the differences in design of the two antibodies, targeting different parts of the virus's spike protein and in particular, in the lab theirs is still effective against the South African variant, while the Lilly antibody combo is not (2nd link). They expect to publish the results in March and expect to have 1.25MM doses (if the lower dose is approved - not clear on that - would be half that if not) by June.

While that's nowhere near enough doses at 50-100K infections per day, currently, if vaccinations and behaviors can continue to drive transmissions down to maybe 10-20K/day, which I think is likely by April, then that would likely be enough cocktail doses for most people who get infected, meaning we'd have great prevention (vaccines) and treatments in place for nearly everyone. I had always thought Regeneron would come through and be effective, but will admit it took longer than expected (EUAs weren't issued until Nov - was expecting Sept) and has been overshadowed by the vaccines (3rd link).

https://endpts.com/regeneron-halts-...nds-clear-efficacy-but-there-are-no-data-yet/

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/reg...uth-africa-variant-lillys-does-not-study-2021
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-covid-science-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-90-effective-regeneron-antibody-cocktail-looks-very-promising-in-phase-ii-iii-trial-and-more.203426/post-4922821

While there is no disagreeing that this is very good news, I'm concerned about the practicality of administering this cocktail on a timely basis. Don't many COVID cases progress from mild symptoms to more severe disease rather quickly and unexpectedly? The concern would be whether COVID patients with mild disease would seek out these cocktails on a timely basis before their symptoms became severe, especially if they are not in a hospital setting when they have mild to moderate symptoms .... thoughts?

Reactions: pmvon
Bob - there's no twisting. These mutations have been painstakingly documented across the world by virologists using highly reliable genetic sequencing tools Is it that you don't believe that there are mutated versions of the original SARS-CoV-2 virus, which was first seen in China, circulating around the world? Their differences in transmission and ability to be evade antibodies are based largely on lab studies to date, along with epidemiological studies where the variants are predominant, and the differences clearly seem to be real. Do you also not believe that these differences in transmission and response to the immune system are real?

If you don't believe the mutations are real and/or that the impacts of those mutations are real, why not? Do you simply not trust scientists - you know, the kind that have developed the vaccines that will likely save millions of lives around the world and hundreds of thousands of American lives? You also seem to be saying that this is a "lab induced virus" - that would be news to the rest of the world - care to share your research on that? To be honest, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say, as logic and coherence aren't your strong suits. You're welcome to your opinion, of course, even if it's demonstrably in error.
I’m not looking for bickering nor arguments on a subject which is very near and dear to all of us numbers. It was an opinion ... you as a scientist and educated man are entitled to defend your position however immediately when someone posts something which seems contrary to you immediately, “ your wrong”... “ totally uncalled for . You immediately say, “ stop spreading misinformation”. You can’t prove it either way whether it is or isn’t. The fact is and inadvertently you agree by saying “ yes but it ‘s different” . I completely understood the new variants manifest themselves in the human body and can be more severe but if it were not for the covid19 virus there would be no variants. I bet you have been that way since high school . You suffer from emotional doubts. Here’s a suggestion for you kind sir : Marta Krajniak Professor of Psychology perhaps she is talking about not only you but many of us. I love your postings but damn people do not have to agree nor believe everything a scientist puts out in an article. What is funny though is on one day, TODAY, 3 governors warn of their NY, NJ and California variants. Kind of funny how that corresponds to teachers refusing to go back to classrooms in those states and all with strong teachers unions. You don’t suspect they could be related do you? Goodnight and stay well.

If you have half the population it would not be extraordinary to have half the deaths

If you have half the population it would not be extraordinary to have half the deaths
And your point then is those 7 states did a good job? NJ and NY should have been shutdown much sooner but we all know that did not happen . Face it some states did a much better job. Too much politics all around.

It is not about the population size. The two don’t equate (population to numbers of deaths) . Deaths per total population rates NJ # 1 with 259 per 100k out of 8.9 mil.... # 2 N.Y. 250 per 100k ...California....

Now Murphy is warning the NY city variant is rushing through the city. Please tell the Governor he’s not up for recall . Pretty soon each state will have it’s own Covid 19 variant. It’s still the same virus.

SSSSS, alot of pockets going to be lined the more fear produced and the more booster shots administered

Stop reading right wing media and read his actual quotes. He never said any of those things as you've reported them. People have corrected this misinformation many times and I'm not inclined to hunt it all down again.

what is wrong with you...stop reading left wing media..aka ny times, etc

he said exactly those things

he also said no worries in February yet its surprising who got slammed for not doing anything yet the CDC and Fauci were Awol as the virus was spreading

And your point then is those 7 states did a good job? NJ and NY should have been shutdown much sooner but we all know that did not happen . Face it some states did a much better job. Too much politics all around.

Nope my point is math

@RUBOB72 I usually roll my eyes at your posts, but you absolutely nailed the point on governors complaining about new variants in teachers union states. Not a political thing my ass.

Reactions: biker7766
We all understand there are variants which have come out. UK, SA, Brazil, and now we see within a week or less: NY / NJ , California perhaps a “spring surge” at the doorstep. Well it is too coincidental especially when you know how and who supports these governors . Then turn to the left media and for all intensive purpose most is a left biased view in 2021. The point is probably 85-90 % of the public wear a mask inside stores and places of business. The only time I have seen anyone sans mask is outside walking or maybe driving. Wednesday we witnessed untold numbers of people alone in their vehicles driving with a mask on . The one I love are those on a zoom call wearing a mask talking with nobody else in the room. I am going to assume people are washing their hands and for the most part social distancing when they have to. We will see soon enough as we have been told by vaccinating the general public we can stop the spread and the cycle of new variants. Should we believe all the Science? Or will we be told something new by Easter?

No I never said nor claimed that tom1944. In certain instances math isn’t how one should analyze the death totals . Recently we have seen how in NY deaths counts were manipulated by unscrupulous leadership. Or is the math correct that the medical advisors used?

Would suspect there will be a booster shot soon and recommended.
I believe numbers would agree booster shots are a distinct reality with all these variants on the horizon. Hard to understand how this continues to spread though almost 90% are following CDC guidelines.Hoping for more vaccines , herd immunity and better times ahead in 2022-2023.

No I never said nor claimed that tom1944. In certain instances math isn’t how one should analyze the death totals . Recently we have seen how in NY deaths counts were manipulated by unscrupulous leadership. Or is the math correct that the medical advisors used?

I would never defend the manipulation of data and people should at a minimum resign and possible face prosecution for doing that.

But if data is correct it would not be surprising that States with half the population have half the deaths. Of course there are other factors like age of the State residents on average, population density and when the virus arrived in those States for example but on its face having half the deaths is not a sign that those States failed anymore than the other 43 States

Last edited:
I would never defend the manipulation of data and people should at a minimum resign and possible face prosecution for doing that.

But if data is correct it would not be surprising that States with half the population have half the deaths. Of course there are other factors like age of the State residents on average, population density and when the virus arrived in those States for example but on its face having half the deaths is not a sign that those States failed anymore than the other 43 States
tom1944 I think we can agree on this . There has been too many deaths and many of them were needless loss of life.

While there is no disagreeing that this is very good news, I'm concerned about the practicality of administering this cocktail on a timely basis. Don't many COVID cases progress from mild symptoms to more severe disease rather quickly and unexpectedly? The concern would be whether COVID patients with mild disease would seek out these cocktails on a timely basis before their symptoms became severe, especially if they are not in a hospital setting when they have mild to moderate symptoms .... thoughts?
Well, I know about 5-6 people who I'm FB friends with who got COVID (some were high risk and were already struggling a bit with it) and who read my posts and they asked me what I thought and I told them to run, not walk to get the antibody cocktails and they quickly got them (Regeneron or Lilly) and were fine in a few days. It's a single IV infusion, so it's not that complicated and from what I've read, it's still not being fully utilized so it's generally available. If I had COVID trying to get this treatment is the first thing I would do.

I’m not looking for bickering nor arguments on a subject which is very near and dear to all of us numbers. It was an opinion ... you as a scientist and educated man are entitled to defend your position however immediately when someone posts something which seems contrary to you immediately, “ your wrong”... “ totally uncalled for . You immediately say, “ stop spreading misinformation”. You can’t prove it either way whether it is or isn’t. The fact is and inadvertently you agree by saying “ yes but it ‘s different” . I completely understood the new variants manifest themselves in the human body and can be more severe but if it were not for the covid19 virus there would be no variants. I bet you have been that way since high school . You suffer from emotional doubts. Here’s a suggestion for you kind sir : Marta Krajniak Professor of Psychology perhaps she is talking about not only you but many of us. I love your postings but damn people do not have to agree nor believe everything a scientist puts out in an article. What is funny though is on one day, TODAY, 3 governors warn of their NY, NJ and California variants. Kind of funny how that corresponds to teachers refusing to go back to classrooms in those states and all with strong teachers unions. You don’t suspect they could be related do you? Goodnight and stay well.

outstanding post

We all understand there are variants which have come out. UK, SA, Brazil, and now we see within a week or less: NY / NJ , California perhaps a “spring surge” at the doorstep. Well it is too coincidental especially when you know how and who supports these governors . Then turn to the left media and for all intensive purpose most is a left biased view in 2021. The point is probably 85-90 % of the public wear a mask inside stores and places of business. The only time I have seen anyone sans mask is outside walking or maybe driving. Wednesday we witnessed untold numbers of people alone in their vehicles driving with a mask on . The one I love are those on a zoom call wearing a mask talking with nobody else in the room. I am going to assume people are washing their hands and for the most part social distancing when they have to. We will see soon enough as we have been told by vaccinating the general public we can stop the spread and the cycle of new variants. Should we believe all the Science? Or will we be told something new by Easter?

one of the new officials that works for Biden went on tv to talk about a hurricane of new cases because of the variants. It was the kind of behavior that I would hope people like Numbers would call out. Total fear porn. What amazing is Left wing media for a year says that its spreading because we dont wear masks and then its saying its dropping because more people are complying and wearing double masks now...that is truly truly bizarre, its gaslighting. Its why I call out the BS that the media feeds us and yes some of these scientists and pundits are benefitting from the continuation of the pandemic. The variance hysteria has been called out already by real reputable epidemologists not the so called tv doctors

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT