ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the 90 Day Trends Chart.
XeW1Ace.jpg

Reactions: bac2therac
What makes the J&J vaccine any safer than the AstraZeneca vaccine that was pulled for a time because of so many side effects? Both are based on the same platform that uses a adenovirus, and the jury is still out on whether the body can handle a booster with this vaccine. What happens if variants make this type vaccine obsolete with a dire need for a booster? Just another example of how ill informed the public is. Asking because my Mom has insisted on waiting for this vaccine, and I told her, I'm not taking ANY of them until there's more results, but if she wants it, I'll do the leg work. My sister was forced at her place of employment to get vaccinated or face a furlough, which to me is a complete bullshit move by her boss.

lol Gates is vile, you are actually bringing him up like he is some expert
I have no problem if you're not a Gates fan, but surely you can appreciate that he has certainly done a lot of good with his fortune funding some very worthy philanthropic efforts, no? He was also way out ahead in recognizing the risks from pandemics before COVID and if we had followed his advice like other countries did, we would have done significantly better than we did. And even if you don't agree with all he says, what exactly do you find "vile" (i.e., "extremely unpleasant or morally bad; wicked.") in what he has done or said?

Reactions: RU23 and pmvon
As I wrote several minutes ago young man😊 I respect the info you provide and not only for covid19... you appear to be a well rounded guy with varied interests. So I will leave it at that . If we met on a ball field , court, or even at an educational or business event we may actually , believe it or not, find things we could agree upon. Have a good weekend #’s . 😷🪓
Thanks - I know you mean well and are a good guy - my only advice would be to just read what you're responding to a little more closely before responding, as I think that would prevent some unnecessary arguments and I should probably let things go more. I have no doubt I'd be able to hang with anyone on this board who I might argue with over politics - I have a good chunk of friends who are on the right and we argue vociferously about many things (@mildone has posted a few times about our post-soccer shouting matches at the coffee shop), but are still friends.

Once vaccinated, there's probably nobody on this board I'd want to give a high five and a hug to in Indy at the NCAA tourney than @bac2therac and you know how much we argue, as I know how much we've been through as fans (and we've met at bowls/bowl parties and at the RAC many times). Same with @AreYouNUTS - different sides of the aisle, but first and foremost huge Rutgers fans. Take care.

What makes the J&J vaccine any safer than the AstraZeneca vaccine that was pulled for a time because of so many side effects? Both are based on the same platform that uses a adenovirus, and the jury is still out on whether the body can handle a booster with this vaccine. What happens if variants make this type vaccine obsolete with a dire need for a booster? Just another example of how ill informed the public is. Asking because my Mom has insisted on waiting for this vaccine, and I told her, I'm not taking ANY of them until there's more results, but if she wants it, I'll do the leg work. My sister was forced at her place of employment to get vaccinated or face a furlough, which to me is a complete bullshit move by her boss.
Totally fine with a vaccine mandate for certain jobs and situations. If your sister can work from home without missing a beat, fine. If not, good decision by the employer. Gotta protect everyone.

But agreed, I would lean towards the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for now. The tech just seems better for this virus.

Thanks - I know you mean well and are a good guy - my only advice would be to just read what you're responding to a little more closely before responding, as I think that would prevent some unnecessary arguments and I should probably let things go more. I have no doubt I'd be able to hang with anyone on this board who I might argue with over politics - I have a good chunk of friends who are on the right and we argue vociferously about many things (@mildone has posted a few times about our post-soccer shouting matches at the coffee shop), but are still friends.

Once vaccinated, there's probably nobody on this board I'd want to give a high five and a hug to in Indy at the NCAA tourney than @bac2therac and you know how much we argue, as I know how much we've been through as fans (and we've met at bowls/bowl parties and at the RAC many times). Same with @AreYouNUTS - different sides of the aisle, but first and foremost huge Rutgers fans. Take care.
Just replying so you know I gave you a like ... 😀👏👍

Reactions: RU848789
Both the J&J and Oxford/Astra-Zeneca vaccines are considered very safe (as are the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines), so not sure what you're asking. Early on in the clinical trials, there was a hold placed on an early AZ trial, due to a serious side effect (transverse myelitis an inflammation of the spinal cord), which was later determined to be very likely related to the patient having MS - holds often occur in trials as safety is critical and side effects need to be carefully investigated. In the phase III US trials and in the UK trials, the incidence of transverse myelitis and any other serious side effects was statistically no greater in the vaccine group than in the placebo group. AZ did screw up their dosing regimen in one of the trials which resulted in a delay, but that wasn't a safetyh issue. I would take any of the vaccines, since they all prevent hospitalizations and deaths, but I would pick Pfizer/Moderna if given a choice, given likely better efficacy.

https://theconversation.com/how-do-we-know-the-covid-vaccine-wont-have-long-term-side-effects-155714

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-01/02-COVID-Villafana.pdf

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Totally fine with a vaccine mandate for certain jobs and situations. If your sister can work from home without missing a beat, fine. If not, good decision by the employer. Gotta protect everyone.

But agreed, I would lean towards the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for now. The tech just seems better for this virus.
Agree 110%.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
IIRC wasn't the issues proven within days to be totally unrelated to the vaccine? It was like a 3 to 5 day pause?

Ok, just saw #'s reply which was exactly what I thought.
Now that something like 50 million doses have been given and nobody is dying From the shots while the results are even more positive I would say the nay-sayers were yet again wrong and we owe these folks out lives. Literally. This is a HUGE human survival/success story.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrdcorhays
I have no problem if you're not a Gates fan, but surely you can appreciate that he has certainly done a lot of good with his fortune funding some very worthy philanthropic efforts, no? He was also way out ahead in recognizing the risks from pandemics before COVID and if we had followed his advice like other countries did, we would have done significantly better than we did. And even if you don't agree with all he says, what exactly do you find "vile" (i.e., "extremely unpleasant or morally bad; wicked.") in what he has done or said?

The most “vile” thing about Gates is how he behaved in his younger years as the founder of Microsoft. He was overly emotional and egotistical to the point he actually tried to avoid meeting Buffett when his father invited him to a social gathering at their home. Gates promised to speak to him but thought his time would be wasted with some stock picker. Turns out it turned into one of his best lifelong friendships, and I think Buffett had a very grounding effect on Gates. But, yeah, there is nothing vile about his current activities, that’s for sure.

Here Is his TED talk on pandemic readiness from 2015.

Reactions: ScarletNut
In the least surprising news of the day, the FDA advisory panel voted 22-0 to recommend and Emergency Use Authorization of the J&J single shot adenovirus vector vaccine. Great news for everyone. Efficacy is probably a bit lower than the mRNA vaccines (but that's harder to read since Pfizer/Moderna ran their trials earlier and didn't likely encounter some of the new variants, while J&J did), but the take home message for all of them is that they all prevent hospitalizations and deaths after full dosing (after 28 days for J&J with full immune response). That is so much more important than small efficacy differences and the refrigerated storage is a nice bonus. We need them all to beat the pandemic, worldwide, so this is a great day for science and humanity. Formal approval by the FDA should come tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/world/FDA-Johnson-and-Johnson-vaccine.html

The most “vile” thing about Gates is how he behaved in his younger years as the founder of Microsoft. He was overly emotional and egotistical to the point he actually tried to avoid meeting Buffett when his father invited him to a social gathering at their home. Gates promised to speak to him but thought his time would be wasted with some stock picker. Turns out it turned into one of his best lifelong friendships, and I think Buffett had a very grounding effect on Gates. But, yeah, there is nothing vile about his current activities, that’s for sure.

well that was a very interesting watch. Frankly impressive but it just supports the need for more private sector leadership as the government only reacts to crap.
Thanks for sharing. You made an impact on my position and opinion today.
Now I'm even more pissed about how this happened.

Got my first shot today at the Deschutes County Fairgrounds. Most efficient government run operation ever. National Guard tasked to do the most important steps: records, the shot, follow up appointment. Bravo!

amazing day. J&J vaccine was approved by the FDA and 1c is now a GO for New Jersey.

I got an email from the state today and I am booked for my 1st shot Monday!

Very excited! 🥳
+1
There are a lot of vaccine sites that are filling open appointments with the gen pop (to stay on schedule and keep up with maxing shots). To those without an appointment yet, you should register directly with a bunch of local sites. They will contact you when you can book.

amazing day. J&J vaccine was approved by the FDA and 1c is now a GO for New Jersey.

Very excited! 🥳

where did you see that 1C is a go? I’m 1C and haven’t gotten an email or any notification.

Did you guys get shots or appointments yet? Time to get the numbers up as high as possible.
2nd shot on 3/6 (Pfizer) for my wife and I; son already has both shots. Dad got his 2nd shot today in FL, but sister has to wait, as FL is only doing over 65 and she's 61.

Thought I recall you saying you got yours.

Reactions: RUtix4me
Got my 1st shot in Mass today at Gillette Stadium, very well run. They give you a card at the shot time, you take the picture and it sets you up for round 2. Its the Moderna Vaccine, they are running two separate clinics on west and east concourse, about a thousand shots an hour each side i think.

I have minor aches, chills, and headache, seem to be dissipating or at least not getting worse. 90 mile ride, I will do it again in 4-weeks.

where did you see that 1C is a go? I’m 1C and haven’t gotten an email or any notification.

Maybe I just assume that I was 1c since it took so long to get to me, perhaps I was 1b all along? Or they haven't updated their website yet.

Got my 1st shot in Mass today at Gillette Stadium, very well run. They give you a card at the shot time, you take the picture and it sets you up for round 2. Its the Moderna Vaccine, they are running two separate clinics on west and east concourse, about a thousand shots an hour each side i think.

I have minor aches, chills, and headache, seem to be dissipating or at least not getting worse. 90 mile ride, I will do it again in 4-weeks.

that is the same one I will get. Different place. I will post what happens as far as how long it took and any side effects.

2nd shot on 3/6 (Pfizer) for my wife and I; son already has both shots. Dad got his 2nd shot today in FL, but sister has to wait, as FL is only doing over 65 and she's 61.

Thought I recall you saying you got yours.
Wife and I got Pfizer #1 yesterday. It was originally scheduled for last week.....f'ing snow! I guess karma for weather trolling. LOL. #2 on 3/18.

Besides a modestly sore arm, no AEs with #1 (for either of us).

Very excited! 🥳

Haven't seen 1C eligible yet, - do you have a source for that comment? I've been thinking we wouldn't see 1C become eligible until late March, at least, as 1A and 1B should be about 60% of all adults - but not all of them will seek appointments - maybe 60-70% of them, so I think we see 1C become eligible when we're at maybe 35-40% having received a single vaccine (95-110MM of 270Mm adults).

I'm guessing that we'll get to that point by the end of March, when we should have, in hand, enough vaccines to fully vaccinate 120MM people (44% of our 270MM adults), although that doesn't mean those will all be in arms by then, given distribution not matching supply.

Right now, we're only at 15% in the US having received at least a single shot (and 70MM vaccines given of 94MM distributed to the States), but the vaccination rate is going to go up steadily and I expect to be well over 2MM doses per day, in March, on average, which should get us to 130-150MM doses given by the end of March.

Wife and I got Pfizer #1 yesterday. It was originally scheduled for last week.....f'ing snow! I guess karma for weather trolling. LOL. #2 on 3/18.

Besides a modestly sore arm, no AEs with #1 (for either of us).
Yep, just sore arms; son felt like he had a mild flu for 24-36 hours after the 2nd shot. Today was day 14 for us and that's the point of demarcation after shot #1, where significant efficacy is seen in preventing infections.

We'll still wear masks in public out of respect for others, since there is still a small chance of becoming infected and infectious, but we're already starting to plan social activities with other vaccinated friends and I'm going to try like hell to get tickets for RU in the NCAA tourney, as I'll be fully immune by then (14 days after 2nd shot is when full immunity is achieved) - and we're going to go visit my dad and sister in FL in late March or early April, who we haven't seen in over a year.

As more and more people get vaccinated and the results continue to look so good, I think we'll eventually see 75% of American adults getting vaccinated (significantly higher than say they'll get vaccinated now), which is just about enough to get to herd immunity (since we'll also have some infected/immune people). I also think part of the motivation will be likely requirements of vaccines for work, travel, events and such.

Just noticed on the CDC tracker that we’re almost at 20% of all adults having received the first dose. Will probably be close to 40% by the end of March.

Good stuff, can’t wait to see the Israel type graphs for this country.

Got my 2nd Moderna shot a little over 2 weeks back. Had zero side effects until maybe 17 hours later in my sleep. Woke up at 1am huddled in a ball and freezing and couldn’t even move to get up for another blanket. Thought the heat broke.
Finally sucked it up and got up and drank some Gatorade and grabbed another blanket. Woke up about 2:30 sweating like I ran a marathon. And that was that. Woke up at 6am and went to my office to check in on things there for a couple hours and felt great. Weird, almost surreal night though. Just the relief factor of actually procuring the shots, the second one in a snowstorm to boot, and being so grateful for it. So happy to hear and see people finally having success getting their appointments. What a year it’s been.

well that was a very interesting watch. Frankly impressive but it just supports the need for more private sector leadership as the government only reacts to crap.
Thanks for sharing. You made an impact on my position and opinion today.
Now I'm even more pissed about how this happened.
Great post. Here's more if you're interested. There's no doubt that Global Health Security has been mostly ignored for decades by both parties, but every administration going back 30 years has at least made some attempts to improve pandemic preparedness, as per summary of efforts in the Wired article, linked below. And more recently, the Obama Administration did develop a pandemic playbook, which was passed along to the Trump Administration, which even was involved peripherally with the CSIS/GHPC Pandemic Playbook from 2019 and conducting its own HHS "Crimson Contagion" simulation in 2019. But sadly, almost all of this guidance was simply ignored in 2020, as the US clearly did not meet the expectations of world pandemic experts who had voted the US as the best preapred country to handle a pandemic. I discussed much of this in the post below (excerpt in italics) from 4/30.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...es-interventions-and-more.191275/post-4535630

https://www.wired.com/story/an-oral-history-of-the-pandemic-warnings-trump-ignored/

The Administration had access to both the CSIS/GHPC Pandemic Playbook, "Strengthening America’s Health Security," which was put together by the Global Health Policy Center, operating under the Center for Strategic International Studies (the most respected and bipartisan think tank on National Security in DC) during 2018-2019 (first link, below) and they had the HHS's own "Crimson Contagion" simulation from last year of a new flu pandemic gone wild (2nd link).

These were not wild eyed liberals looking to make social justice - these were consummate professionals (co-chaired by Merck's own Julie Gerberding, former CDC head and infectious diseases expert, and Kelly Ayotte, former Republican Senator from NH) looking to prepare the US for the inevitable next pandemic - which it turns out was already brewing in China when the report was issued in Nov-2019.

https://csis-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/...8qNWY_2gKvjrX7Z3MXhJ8uCi1d83jqxxPgXp10ssMopfM

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthe...bd797500ea55be0724/optimized/full.pdf#page=18

I too despised Gates early on, mostly for his monopolistic views on bundling with his Windows OS. I was a big Netscape fan which he bankrupted. I've done a 180 on him with his philanthropies and dedication to better our world since he stepped down from Microsoft.

Haven't seen 1C eligible yet, - do you have a source for that comment? I've been thinking we wouldn't see 1C become eligible until late March, at least, as 1A and 1B should be about 60% of all adults - but not all of them will seek appointments - maybe 60-70% of them, so I think we see 1C become eligible when we're at maybe 35-40% having received a single vaccine (95-110MM of 270Mm adults).

I'm guessing that we'll get to that point by the end of March, when we should have, in hand, enough vaccines to fully vaccinate 120MM people (44% of our 270MM adults), although that doesn't mean those will all be in arms by then, given distribution not matching supply.

Right now, we're only at 15% in the US having received at least a single shot (and 70MM vaccines given of 94MM distributed to the States), but the vaccination rate is going to go up steadily and I expect to be well over 2MM doses per day, in March, on average, which should get us to 130-150MM doses given by the end of March.
Well we hit a record 2.2MM doses administered yesterday. Let's see if we can sustain it, which I think we will and more. Hoping for 3MM/day by mid/late March.

I too despised Gates early on, mostly for his monopolistic views on bundling with his Windows OS. I was a big Netscape fan which he bankrupted. I've done a 180 on him with his philanthropies and dedication to better our world since he stepped down from Microsoft.
Same here - hated him as MS CEO, especially as I was a Mac guy back then and he was part of the Evil Empire. Like him much more as a philanthropist.

Well we hit a record 2.2MM doses administered yesterday. Let's see if we can sustain it, which I think we will and more. Hoping for 3MM/day by mid/late March.
With J&J coming up shouldn't the reported data show which is which since J&J is only a one shot vaccine? I wish they report completely vaccinated instead of vaccines given. It doesn't give the full story.

Reactions: Knight Ed
With J&J coming up shouldn't the reported data show which is which since J&J is only a one shot vaccine? I wish they report completely vaccinated instead of vaccines given. It doesn't give the full story.
Thanks!
This is promising.
They did answer - was put on hold for a coupe minutes, then a person answered and took my phone number, said someone will call me tomorrow to make appointments for my parents.

I've been on all the websites at this point - and trying things such as the "lottery" for the Atlantic City Conv Center megasite. Last night they had 2700 appointments available and I was number 47000 in the queue (suppsoedly random assigned numbers). I know all f you in NJ have been dealing with this crazy system, but I REALLY appreciate that in NH we have not had to do more than a single registration and appointments were made.
Update: appointments made for both parents at Rowan Sewell / Deptford. This is what used to be called Gloucester County College, Not Rowan U in Glassboro.
Much thanks to all here. This proves the great value in this message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT