ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Jersey Devils '17-18 thread.......

nutfromSEC117

All American
Nov 2, 2002
Devils focused thread... my parking lot parade partners!
Bratt 19 years old , 3 goals early.
Look much faster this year , long ways from the cup but you can clearly see this team has way more speed. Still have more young guns waiting , Macleod , Quenville and few more guys that just missed cut.

Smoked Buffalo today.

How refreshing is it to see a team that can actually score goals?

After missing the playoffs for 5 years and boring their fans to death with the inability to score, this looks like a completely different team.

Younger, faster and much more exciting.

The next 3 games will be a massive test. Toronto, Washington and New York all playoff teams from last year. Go New Jersey Devils.

Reactions: Mike from MD
Good start to the season, I gotta admit I don't know half the team.

Speed, youth, talent - amazing how good the team can look on offense with those 3 things.

Devils focused thread... my parking lot parade partners!
Bratt 19 years old , 3 goals early.
Look much faster this year , long ways from the cup but you can clearly see this team has way more speed. Still have more young guns waiting , Macleod , Quenville and few more guys that just missed cut.

Smoked Buffalo today.
Devils history:
Before Lou/MD = Mickey Mouse Organization
Lou/MD = good run
After Lou/MD = Mickey Mouse Organization (until proven otherwise)

Good luck this season!

Reactions: radio43
I have never seen such a inferior fan base of a team who could have been considered dynasty in the last 20 years! It will be sad when they are gone!

6 playoff series:
4 wins for NYR
2 wins for Newark Devils
Don't fight with these people...... They will be dumpster diving for banners in Newark in a few years when they go elsewhere!
In my lifetime, and likely the two of yours too, I'll take the most important number instead.

And the only one that matters.

Devils history:
Before Lou/MD = Mickey Mouse Organization
Lou/MD = good run
After Lou/MD = Mickey Mouse Organization (until proven otherwise)
Good luck this season!

Mickey Mouse post...that's funny.

Relax, your 2.5 cups are long past. Try to make the playoffs first.

Happy to see three cups following the 1994 season. You want to call it a 0.5 cup? Ok, I can accept that. But what do you count the cups the Rangers won when there were only six teams? 0.1667 cup? And they still got spanked around by the Canadians like momma's little boy.

Reactions: robcac26
Here's an idea, put up a Devil's thread and watch division rival fans hijack it. That reminds me of Happy Valley faithful invading Rutgers posts for their little kicks and chest thumping antics.

Reactions: Kenetr
6 playoff series:
4 wins for NYR
2 wins for Newark Devils
That's largely because during the years the Devils were playing three and four playoff series a year, the Rangers were so inferior they missed the playoffs for nine straight seasons. You can't beat a team that is already finished playing. Then when they finally did make the playoffs in 2006 for the first time since 1997, the Devils slaughtered them in one of the most lopsided series in recent memory, outscoring them 17-4 in a four-game sweep.

Don't fight with these people...... They will be dumpster diving for banners in Newark in a few years when they go elsewhere!
You people have been predicting the impending move of the Devils for about a decade and a half now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenetr and czxqa
Oh and since once again we have Rangers fans trying to discredit 1995, I'll rehash an actual detailed comparison between the Rangers' Cups and the Devils' Cups...

Apparently for a Stanley Cup to count as one whole Cup, you have to play an 82-game regular season and then win 16 playoff games. The Devils have 2.5, so let's apply this rule to determine how many the Rangers have...

In 1940, the NHL season was 48 games long (oh look at that, same length as 1995), and the Rangers had to win 8 games to win the Cup, half as many as was required in all of the Devils' Cups, so with 1995 being half a Cup, 1940 must be less than half.

In 1933, the NHL season was 48 games long, and the Rangers had to win two two-game series and then pick up 3 wins in the final to win the Cup, so 1933 must be even less than 1940.

In 1928, the NHL season was 44 games long, and the Rangers had to win two two-game series and then pick up 3 wins in the final, so 1928 must be even less than 1933.

We now add their whole cup from 1994 to their less-than-half Cup in 1940, their less-than-1940 Cup in 1933, and their less-than-1933 Cup in 1928 to reach a total of something slightly less than 2.5, so the Devils, despite giving the Rangers a 48-year head start, during most of which there were only about five or six other possible champions since the league was so small, actually have more Stanley Cups than the Rangers do. Thank you, Rangers fans, for pointing out that not all Cups are worth the same.

Ah the old attendance and relocation put-downs from Rag fans. It's nice to be able to set your watch to something. The Devils are paying for their nearly 2 decades of playing among the elite. Rebuilding happens and they're finally approaching it the right way. Do Ranger fans not remember their own playoff drought from '97 to '04? They sure like to remind everyone of their 1 fleeting championship in 77 years.

The Devils' window is finally cracking open again.

This is a
Oh and since once again we have Rangers fans trying to discredit 1995, I'll rehash an actual detailed comparison between the Rangers' Cups and the Devils' Cups...

Apparently for a Stanley Cup to count as one whole Cup, you have to play an 82-game regular season and then win 16 playoff games. The Devils have 2.5, so let's apply this rule to determine how many the Rangers have...

In 1940, the NHL season was 48 games long (oh look at that, same length as 1995), and the Rangers had to win 8 games to win the Cup, half as many as was required in all of the Devils' Cups, so with 1995 being half a Cup, 1940 must be less than half.

In 1933, the NHL season was 48 games long, and the Rangers had to win two two-game series and then pick up 3 wins in the final to win the Cup, so 1933 must be even less than 1940.

In 1928, the NHL season was 44 games long, and the Rangers had to win two two-game series and then pick up 3 wins in the final, so 1928 must be even less than 1933.

We now add their whole cup from 1994 to their less-than-half Cup in 1940, their less-than-1940 Cup in 1933, and their less-than-1933 Cup in 1928 to reach a total of something slightly less than 2.5, so the Devils, despite giving the Rangers a 48-year head start, during most of which there were only about five or six other possible champions since the league was so small, actually have more Stanley Cups than the Rangers do. Thank you, Rangers fans, for pointing out that not all Cups are worth the same.
haha there ya go, ranger fans.

That's largely because during the years the Devils were playing three and four playoff series a year, the Rangers were so inferior they missed the playoffs for nine straight seasons. You can't beat a team that is already finished playing. Then when they finally did make the playoffs in 2006 for the first time since 1997, the Devils slaughtered them in one of the most lopsided series in recent memory, outscoring them 17-4 in a four-game sweep.

You people have been predicting the impending move of the Devils for about a decade and a half now.
The reverse can be said for the past 5 years, right? And FYI, NYR didn't miss the playoffs 9 seasons in a row. It was 7 and the Newark Devils are getting close to that.

I can't believe this is still a conversation. The Rangers are a joke. They wasted all of Lundqvist's prime years with 0 supporting cast and 0 cups.

4 appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals with 1 win in the last 77 years, and you want to talk?

We have been to the finals more times and won more cups in our franchise's existence than the Rangers have since before WWII.

Please stop with the nonsense.

The reverse can be said for the past 5 years, right? And FYI, NYR didn't miss the playoffs 9 seasons in a row. It was 7 and the Newark Devils are getting close to that.
You're right, it was seven seasons they missed the playoffs, I got it mixed up with it being a nine-year gap between playoff appearances which admittedly is skewed because of the lockout. Either way, no, the reverse can't be said for the past five years. While the Rangers were missing the playoffs, the Devils won three conference championships and two Stanley Cups. The Rangers have only accomplished one conference championship and no Cups, so for you to make this a level comparison, the Devils would need to miss the playoffs this year and next year and the Rangers would need to win back-to-back Cups.

I have never seen such a inferior fan base of a team who could have been considered dynasty in the last 20 years! It will be sad when they are gone!
We agree that the Rangers have an inferior fan base but we should not rub it in.

We agree that the Rangers have an inferior fan base but we should not rub it in.
Do the Devils actually have a fan "base".....or just a fan "group". Not sure how many fans are needed to qualify as a base. Just food for thought!

Do the Devils actually have a fan "base".....or just a fan "group". Not sure how many fans are needed to qualify as a base. Just food for thought!
Oy...Rangers fans are the worst.

Because we play in a big city and have a large number of fair weather fans, we are a better team and better people.

The attitude of Ranger fans is no different than Penn State fans. Because our team is sexier, we are better people.

Reactions: Kenetr and RUfromNJ
THIS! Rangers have accomplished ZIPPO

You're right, it was seven seasons they missed the playoffs, I got it mixed up with it being a nine-year gap between playoff appearances which admittedly is skewed because of the lockout. Either way, no, the reverse can't be said for the past five years. While the Rangers were missing the playoffs, the Devils won three conference championships and two Stanley Cups. The Rangers have only accomplished one conference championship and no Cups, so for you to make this a level comparison, the Devils would need to miss the playoffs this year and next year and the Rangers would need to win back-to-back Cups.

The Rangers do not have fans. They have corporate sponsors. Just food for thought.

thats just plain dumb. The area was packed last Sat afternoon for opening day. rangers will always have the advantage of playing in NYC.

Rangers can pack the garden, and when they're doing well you can feel it in the city, but to say the devils don't have a fan base is idiotic.

I remember growing up there were a lot of legacy fans which is a product of being around for a long time. Proud to say that my dad was a rangers fan living in NJ but once the Rockies moved from Colorado, he was all in rooting for his home state team.

Reactions: czxqa
Love you guys, this will be a fun season, when it starts after the Super Bowl! :)

Uhh, maybe getting this thread back on track. I have been very impressed with Hischier the first two games. Great hockey sense and great hands. He looks like he will be a top line player for years. Bratt has been a spark-plug with skill. His minor league and Swedish league stats don't jump out at you, but he is fast, aggressive and has good hands as well. Butcher is a smaller defenseman but he really sees the ice well and makes a nice QB on the power play. I am concerned when teams start pounding these three and how they will hold up over a long season. I haven't seen either team we have played so far really get physical with them, but I know that is coming.

Where exactly are the Devils going to move?

They have a fairly new arena, a big new Jumbotron, a young team on the rise, continue the positive momentum and it will show in ticket sales? The Devils aren't going to move to Canada or San antonio, there aren't many cities left to have a hockey team. So NJ will be its home

Where exactly are the Devils going to move?

They have a fairly new arena, a big new Jumbotron, a young team on the rise, continue the positive momentum and it will show in ticket sales? The Devils aren't going to move to Canada or San antonio, there aren't many cities left to have a hockey team. So NJ will be its home
Yeah, Newark is a hotbed of hockey fandom! :)

Actually, hockey has been steadily on the rise in New Jersey. Over the past 10 years, there have been a lot of rinks opening up and youth and high school hockey has expanded tremendously.

Uhh, maybe getting this thread back on track. I have been very impressed with Hischier the first two games. Great hockey sense and great hands. He looks like he will be a top line player for years. Bratt has been a spark-plug with skill. His minor league and Swedish league stats don't jump out at you, but he is fast, aggressive and has good hands as well. Butcher is a smaller defenseman but he really sees the ice well and makes a nice QB on the power play. I am concerned when teams start pounding these three and how they will hold up over a long season. I haven't seen either team we have played so far really get physical with them, but I know that is coming.
I like that the young guys do not seem overwhelmed thus far and that they haven't been overly impressed with themselves. Tells me a lot about their mental make-up, which along with their high hockey IQ, speed, and skill level have all of a sudden made the Devils a fun team to watch.

It does seem like Hischier can get pushed around at times, but he will physically get stronger and has the skills and IQ to manage that. The defense does scare me as Mueller and Butcher don't strike me as very physical, so as you say...a big strong team can probably pound the Devils a bit, but it is nice to see them able to go from defense to offense quickly and punish teams mistakes.

I will agree with everyone that has ragged on the Devils for a long time...offensive hockey is more fun to watch.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Actually, hockey has been steadily on the rise in New Jersey. Over the past 10 years, there have been a lot of rinks opening up and youth and high school hockey has expanded tremendously.
That’s true.

I liken it to the way lacrosse expanded in NJ from just the northern part of the state and prep schools to almost all over now.

Same thing in hockey but much more expensive.

Whether the new players to the sport become Devils fans is yet to be determined though.

Whether the new players to the sport become Devils fans is yet to be determined though.
If they can build around the young kids and maintain the style they have played with thus far (admittedly very early in the season), they will become Devil fans.

For any Devils fans, the Talking Red podcast is a good listen that is produced by the allaboutthejersey.com website (formerly inlouwetrust.com).

One thing to keep in mind is not to put too much stock into a small number of games. The Devils are absolutely on the way up, but are going to need their defense to play far better than expected in order to compete for a playoff spot this year.

2014-2015 they started 5-3-3
2016-2017 they were 12-7-6 on December 6.

Optimism about the future is perfectly reasonable particularly with all of the young talent they have. But enjoy the ride this season without expecting too much. Even contending for a playoff spot this year should be considered a bonus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT