ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Jersey Devils '17-18 thread.......

We want the cup!
I’d be happy with a good playoff run this year, but yeah, I’m with you. This team is crazy young, this is just the beginning.

And I know defense has been suspect this year, but they’ve held some high powered teams to low scores the last few weeks.

So who does everyone want to play? Tampa or Boston? Or does it matter?

I think I want Tampa

Theyve had their number this year and have beaten them every time they’ve played them this year.

However, that means they’d have to beat them. 7 times this season..which is very hard.

So I’ll take either. Think they’re playing well enough that they can give either team a scare.

I think I want Tampa

Theyve had their number this year and have beaten them every time they’ve played them this year.

However, that means they’d have to beat them. 7 times this season..which is very hard.

So I’ll take either. Think they’re playing well enough that they can give either team a scare.
They don't need to beat them seven times now, they just need to beat them four times. Having beaten them three times already doesn't mean the next four are any more difficult than they otherwise would be. Just like if you flip a coin and get heads twice in a row, it doesn't make the next flip more likely to be tails. However, regular season statistics mean absolutely nothing once the puck drops to start the playoffs anyway.

Reactions: JMORC2003
I don't want either of them. I'm really confused why we took our foot off the gas and rested 5 players last night. If we won that game we'd be playing Pittsburgh who I think we have even odds to beat. The Bruins in particular I don't like our chances. We played a couple good games against them but they added Rick Nash since and then and with home ice advantage I think their gonna just knock us around.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
I don't want either of them. I'm really confused why we took our foot off the gas and rested 5 players last night. If we won that game we'd be playing Pittsburgh who I think we have even odds to beat. The Bruins in particular I don't like our chances. We played a couple good games against them but they added Rick Nash since and then and with home ice advantage I think their gonna just knock us around.

At the start of the weekend, the Devils moved up and were in line to play the Washington Capitals. The Devils lost at home to the Caps 5-2 on October 13; lost 5-2 at Washington on December 20; won in overtime 4-3 at home on January 18; lost at Washington 5-3 on April 7.

Because they lost and Philadelphia won, the Devils will play Boston if the Bruins win tonight. The Devils lost at home 3-2 in a shootout to Boston on November 22; lost 3-2 at Boston on January 22; lost 5-3 at home on February 11.

If the Boston Bruins lose tonight. The Devils will play the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Devils won a 5-4 shootout at home on October 17; won 4-3 at Tampa on February 23; won 2-1 at home on March 24.

Final Score: Panthers 4 Bruins 2.

New Jersey Devils at Tampa Bay Lightning, 7:00 pm Thursday, April 12.

Last edited:
Classic pick your poison but if I would have had a choice I would have preferred Pittsburgh. Just think they're not as "hungry" as the others and ripe for a first round knockoff after winning back-to-back Cups.

Reactions: RUinBoston
I am sure all the experts believe TB will sweep the Devils. But the Devils have found ways to win all year long.

Love playoff hockey--Go New Jersey--Go Devils--This is going to be fun.

I like our matchup against the Lightning. I think it's much better than Boston or Pittsburgh. The Penguins are bored by the regular season and believe they will turn it up now.

Was not expecting a win last night. Figured TB would come out flying at home in game 1. Gotta take game 2 and earn the split or else this series is over

Was not expecting a win last night. Figured TB would come out flying at home in game 1. Gotta take game 2 and earn the split or else this series is over
This is said way too often in my opinion. Teams come back from being down 2-0 often enough that Game 2 is never a must win. Obviously you are in a big hole down 2-0, but it's still far from over.

Reactions: goru1869
This is said way too often in my opinion. Teams come back from being down 2-0 often enough that Game 2 is never a must win. Obviously you are in a big hole down 2-0, but it's still far from over.

I would agree with that if this were the 4-5 matchup or even the 3-6. I think if you're the 8th and playing a playoff hardened #1 seed you better take one of the first two if you plan on sticking around

Last edited:
It’s obviously never over until someone wins 4. But almost 90% says it’s more likely over than “far from over”.

I would agree with that if this were the 4-5 matchup or even the 3-6. I think if you're the 8th and playing a playoff hardened #1 seed you better take one of the first two if you plan on sticking around

True. Upsets usually happen to teams that don't have a lot of playoff experience; that's not the Lightning.
BUT, upsets do happen. Good luck to Devils and fans; (No, I'm not one.)

I remember the Devils being the #1 seed and losing in the opening round.
But they lost one of the two home games.

They can win today if they outsmart Tampa.

Devils look overmatched

They are. This is a mismatch. TB now out scored Devils 9-2. This is over in 4. Would have been better off if Florida made it. You’d have the whole Sunshine state rivalry going on and thus more competitive. Now because they made the playoffs ( even though they played like dogs in it) all the pressure will be off Baldi. I’ll watch Hulu on Monday. Won’t waste my time on Baldi’s losers

They are. This is a mismatch. TB now out scored Devils 9-2. This is over in 4. Would have been better off if Florida made it. You’d have the whole Sunshine state rivalry going on and thus more competitive. Now because they made the playoffs ( even though they played like dogs in it) all the pressure will be off Baldi. I’ll watch Hulu on Monday. Won’t waste my time on Baldi’s losers
Screw Florida. In the long run this is s building block for the Devils and $$ for the club.

Only thing Shero should focus on in offseason is defense. Defense. Defense.

Not saying season is done yet, but first two games (and basically all of regular season) shows they need to upgrade that terribly.

Reactions: RU old timer
Lol you sound like a great fan. Down 2-0 in the series so you won't bother watching Game 3? I guess you stopped watching Rutgers football after the loss to Eastern Michigan too.

WOW.

Overmatched my ass!! The loser is you and your lack of hockey knowledge!
Can't wait to hear from those that were there. The Rock was rocking!

Overmatched my ass!! The loser is you and your lack of hockey knowledge!
Can't wait to hear from those that were there. The Rock was rocking!

What a win.

I still truly believe Devils are overmatched. Bunch of young kids up against playoff tested vets. Kinda like USA/Soviets in 1980.

Place sounded like it was rocking. Dare I say winner of Game 4 wins the series? I think so

What a win.

I still truly believe Devils are overmatched. Bunch of young kids up against playoff tested vets. Kinda like USA/Soviets in 1980.

Place sounded like it was rocking. Dare I say winner of Game 4 wins the series? I think so
They lost Saturday not because they were overmatched but Kincade couldn't make a save. The Devils out shot them 40 to 26.
And I wish I was there tonight. I love the Rock. Jealous for those that were there.

What a win.

They lost Saturday not because they were overmatched but Kincade couldn't make a save. The Devils out shot them 40 to 26.
And I wish I was there tonight. I love the Rock. Jealous for those that were there.

Roll with Corey.

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT