ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Matrix on idetifying Trolls to our Board "Post/Like ration"

posters on the rivals main board get a lot of views, and if you have a clever post can really rack up likes..... I am not sure if the totals we see here are only for our site, or a combined total.... we do have a few guys here who frequent the main board.

The problem is that we have a bunch of fans here that like the troll posts because it makes their own miserable views seem like they have support.

Damn, even though many of my posts were from the old site...I am nearly 50%...............

Here's another issue. (Other school) fan comes in and trolls. Three (other school) fans like that post. Now the guy has a 300% like rate.

What do we do then?

Example #2. CE board member trolls daily on the football board. Except that, because that board is so partisan, the members there get likes by half of the board every time they post. That skews the sports-related likes.

What do we do then?

Yes, I know this wasn't a real serious post by OP, but still, I've got nothing better to do right now than reply to hypothetical stuff. Work is a little slow today. I've already gone through and deleted a handful of reported posts.

In addition to the items you cited and the obvious flaw in the "pre-like" board posts being a huge variable, there's one other variable: people who like other people's posts get more likes themselves - it's like saying hello and isn't related to the intrinsic value of the posts. Bottom line is that there are too many uncontrolled variables for the simple ratio to be of much value. Now if we could just put up pix of everyone and have them rated against each other until we found the best looking one...

Math won't work here, just common sense will.

Good old logic.

Just because someone is a fan of another team doesn't mean they are a troll. Other fans are allowed and welcome.

Just because someone vents after a lost or while we are losing doesn't mean they are a troll, they can just be passionate or drunk or both.

Also just because you don't agree with someone opinion doesn't mean they are a troll, people are allowed to disagree.

Signs that someone might be a troll:

Do they take sadistic glee when Rutgers is doing bad or gets bad news? But rarely ever reply to good news or when we are winning?

Do they post a lot after a loss but are no where to be found after a win?

Do they always try to downplay every win and anything positive?

Are they always stirring the pot? Is nearly every thread and post they make just a way to get people riled up?

Reactions: ATIOH
Flaw in this thinking.

People have had thousands of posts on the forum before the like system was implemented. So the hardcore fans that have been here since the beginning shouldnt be respected?

I just judge posts by what they write. Doesn't take a rocket scientist or a mathamagacian to see who is a troll and who isnt.
Seniority will always be considered
56 % (191/341) x 100) !
just thru you a like, lets get that baby up to 60% before the day is over

Reactions: dconifer
As a Penn Stater (hopefully not a secret to anyone) with a 56% likability score, all I want to know is where do I pick up my prize? I mean I have to be the most liked PSU person on this site, right? ;)

0.165938864628821 Higher than I thought. I have a high standard for a like and don't do it as frequently as others; maybe if I was more free with them I'd get more back. Not losing sleep.

I find very high like percentage with lower posts to be troll like as the trolls support each other but have to keep reinventing themselves.
An easy way to get likes up is to go to the CE board and bash Trump, you will get multiple likes from the libs.

A couple of "flaws" or "caveats" to the "Like ratio" thing:

1) If one posts regularly on the political board one receives very few "likes" these for doing so:
2) If you tend to post or "break news"/"start threads-you get relatively few "likes for that"
3) All boards have moderators and are subject to their backgrounds and opinions. Also some boards (not ncecessarily here) are controls by the athletic administration. If one posts inside "in the know" potentially helpful stuff the moderators/athletic staff may not like and that person is morel likely to be banned (thus either not posting at all or using another name I guess). I have heard of -and others here have spoken of- getting banned elsewhere due to one "negative" team comment.. I know instances where posters have lost their account due to expressing their opinion (without any negative comments) of one player should play over another. I also know of an instance where moderators have PMd the poster saying "I don't like the way you write/your writing style". Most of all I think there are a fair amount of posters who post worthless Kiss b*tt comments or just try to be funny just to increase their "likes". What I consider a good poster is one who constantly adds to a given conversation and makes good points/provides insight or inside information-even if they may disagree with myself.

Equation definitely requires and if/then statement. If you have 1000 likes, then you are not a troll. If you have a high ratio but less than 75 likes, you may still be a troll or at least a lurker. Who holds the belt for most likes?

Lots of freshman on this thread all of a sudden, person joins 20 days ago and has a whole history of how his board is and how it should work
Big ten itch seem sketchy, the PSU kind f sketchy

As a Penn Stater (hopefully not a secret to anyone) with a 56% likability score, all I want to know is where do I pick up my prize? I mean I have to be the most liked PSU person on this site, right? ;)

I think theres a big color picture somewhere of Franklin calling "Time Out" this past Saturday (with seconds left) in his attempt to preserve the 56-0 shutout win over St Mary's School for the Blind.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Lots of freshman on this thread all of a sudden, person joins 20 days ago and has a whole history of how his board is and how it should work
Big ten itch seem sketchy, the PSU kind f sketchy

1) Some names become outdated (thus are changed)-or need to be updated. For instance,"BigEast Phil" -please get out of the 90's!
2) Posters who have "inside" stories" that tend to be negative get banned.
3)) Some posters (for years) who are smart (want to prevent preemptive banning) created multiple accounts. This was true from close to the beginning of the site.
4)) Some posters only post good comments under one name, negative comments under another.
5) Some posters liked to post serious posts here and troll elsewhere. Liikely use different names. Therefore if banned with the one name they are still safe on the "most desireablle/home team" board.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT