ADVERTISEMENT

OT: new med school in NJ

RUnTeX

All American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
The Land of Pleasant Living
Interesting, hadn't really heard any rumblings about this or read anything in the lead up but could be I just wasn't paying that much attention.

Our illustrious friends in South Orange have partnered with Hackensack Meridian Health to start a brand new medical school in the state, and the only private one. Four other ones currently in existence are all public. Location is in northern NJ (border of Passaic/Essex counties; Clifton/Nutley at municipal level), site of the former Hoffman LaRoche complex.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...05/nj_just_got_a_brand_new_medical_school.amp

Last edited:
I’m envious. They get a nice fresh start with what is probably considered one of NJ’s premiere medical centers as a teaching hospital.

Inheriting UMDNJ comes with a litany of issues including politics, infighting, underperformance, absorbing debt.

We’ll see how to shakes out in 15 years.

I’m envious. They get a nice fresh start with what is probably considered one of NJ’s premiere medical centers as a teaching hospital.

Inheriting UMDNJ comes with a litany of issues including politics, infighting, underperformance, absorbing debt.

We’ll see how to shakes out in 15 years.
I think your envy is reversed. With Rutgers taking over UMDNJ and the merger of RWJUH and Barnabas, and the plans for Rutgers Health, the RWJBarnabas network (and especially RWJ Hospital in New Brunswick) is poised to sail far ahead as the premier academic medical facility in New Jersey. Hackensack Meridian needed to something to remain relevant and not recede to nothing more than a regional hospital system. That's why they're spending a small fortune to fund a med school.

Reactions: RUseaweed
Upstream,are you heading anything about Rutgers Health,RWJBarnabas RBHS expanding deeper into South Jersey--Cape May,Atlantic City,Vineland,Gloucester,Camden,etc.? Any more affiliations with hospitals there or more RBHS locations? For example,as far as I know there are no dentistry schools in those areas.Agree with your statement,I think Rutgers is so far ahead if would take billions for another university to catch up to RU.

I think your envy is reversed. With Rutgers taking over UMDNJ and the merger of RWJUH and Barnabas, and the plans for Rutgers Health, the RWJBarnabas network (and especially RWJ Hospital in New Brunswick) is poised to sail far ahead as the premier academic medical facility in New Jersey. Hackensack Meridian needed to something to remain relevant and not recede to nothing more than a regional hospital system. That's why they're spending a small fortune to fund a med school.
Hackensack is still routinely ranked ahead of RWJ New Brunswick in the hospital rankings. So is Morristown. RWJ SHOULD be the premier institution in NJ but it's not. Hopefully this merger can turn it into an elite hospital, however, you have to realize that Barnabas was the entity with the $ in the merger. Their flagship institution St. Barnabas is also going to be propped up.

Reactions: RUSK97
Does RWJUH lagging behind HUMC and MMC in annual rankings have anything to do with mismanagement and corruption at UMDNJ? Or as a teaching hospital was it only loosely affiliated with that institution? Perhaps now that it's affiliated with Rutgers instead we can hope that might improve its stature and performance.

On an unrelated note, a few years ago, how did a private university from another state, Drexel, make a move into NB (seemingly UMDNJ territory at the time in terms of medical education) and make St. Peter's a teaching hospital for its medical school? Is there a backstory to that and/or perhaps another case of UMDMJ incompetence?

Last edited:
Reactions: Korbermeister
On an unrelated note, a few years ago, how did a private university from another state, Drexel, make a move into NB (seemingly UMDNJ territory at the time in terms of medical education) and make St. Peter's a teaching hospital for its medical school? Is there a backstory to that and/or perhaps another case of UMDMJ incompetence?
St Peters wanted an academic affiliation and UMDNJ wasn't interested, but Drexel was. Note that today St Peters is affiliated with Rutgers.

St Peters wanted an academic affiliation and UMDNJ wasn't interested, but Drexel was. Note that today St Peters is affiliated with Rutgers.
There might be more to that (I don’t know). St. Peter’s was previously affiliated with UMDNJ before Drexel, then Rutgers. That was when the initially changed their name from St. Peter’s Medical Center to St. Peter’s University Hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT