ADVERTISEMENT

OT - New rules in MLB!

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
The biggest is limiting non manager/coach visits to the mound to 6 per game. Yes, 6 PER GAME! Thank god, alleluia, praise the baseball gods!
I've seen hundreds of innings in the last few years where there were more than 6 in a 1/2 inning.

As a Yankee I hope this is a wake up call for Gary Sanchez to take the work to become a better cather more seriously. He was one of the worst offenders.

The biggest is limiting non manager/coach visits to the mound to 6 per game. Yes, 6 PER GAME! Thank god, alleluia, praise the baseball gods!
I've seen hundreds of innings in the last few years where there were more than 6 in a 1/2 inning.

As a Yankee I hope this is a wake up call for Gary Sanchez to take the work to become a better cather more seriously. He was one of the worst offenders.
That is 6 visits without removing the pitcher. Not sure how much of a reduction this will be.

Pitcher should have to throw the ball inside of 30 seconds after receiving ball back from catcher, ump or from around the horn.. with no one on base.
How about the batter can't step out of the box and the pitcher can't leave the mound during an at bat?

Batter is part of the 30 second rule, has to be ready, if he steps out, he better do it quick and be back for delivery
30 second rule is fine with me (as a fan), but I have heard/read a lot of players whining about such a time rule. How do you think player would handle that?

30 second rule is fine with me (as a fan), but I have heard/read a lot of players whining about such a time rule. How do you think player would handle that?
Of course they’d wine, to bad as far as I’m concerned.
You’d need a waiver of sorts during rain or extraordinary situations like insects.
But for average no one on base play, ball out of the pitchers hand...30 seconds.
Watch Tom Seaver in 1969 WS, he literally catches the ball from Grote with his foot on the rubber and getting the sign 3 seconds later ready to go.

Zap as an ex-player, what your current thoughts on the players' union leadership? It's looking like there will be some major roadblocks when it comes to negotiating in a few years and the recent labor peace will be gone.

Honestly, I don't see how the players shouldn't settle for anything less than a 50/50 revenue split if they're going to keep a "soft" cap in place. I question if Tony Clark is the right person to lead them into an ugly battle that's coming. He seems to nibble around the edges of issues too much to make change.

SIAP:

Just heard on WFAN that the average time-per-pitch is now 3 seconds longer than it was 15-years ago so, over a 297-pitch game (average last year in MLB, apparently...), that was an extra 13-minutes of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING going on during the game.

Reactions: cicero grimes

It’s already happening in the minor leagues so only matter of time until Union doesn’t care anymore.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I love watching Chris Sale pitch. From the time he gets the ball back from the catcher, it’s about 7-9 seconds. LOVE IT!! Keeps everyone involved, fielders etc.

David Price on the other hand is 30-35 seconds. Painful.

Zap as an ex-player, what your current thoughts on the players' union leadership? It's looking like there will be some major roadblocks when it comes to negotiating in a few years and the recent labor peace will be gone.

Honestly, I don't see how the players shouldn't settle for anything less than a 50/50 revenue split if they're going to keep a "soft" cap in place. I question if Tony Clark is the right person to lead them into an ugly battle that's coming. He seems to nibble around the edges of issues too much to make change.
You just wrote more than I know Rhuarc, I wish I could give you an informed answer, but I can’t.
I swear I don’t remember who our player rep was (I think Tekulve) and i fell asleep during Marvin Miller’s annual spring training meeting.

I’m not proud of it, I was a dumb ass.

Although not required for approval by the players union they gave their ok on these changes. Both baseball and the union are not ready to go to a pitch clock but it will come sooner than later.
I have no problem with the time of baseball games. If they can get every game average to 3 hours or under I'd be thrilled. Especially Yankees/Red Sox games. What annoys me is stupid stuff as the catcher going out to the mound endlessly. A sure indication of not doing your homework. Throwing over to first with no intent is dumb as well

Onthebanks said:I'll add another one. Batter cannot step out of the box more than twice during an at-bat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not even close to Mike Hargrove who was called the human rain delay

Last edited:
It's a combination of things that happen. Usually the batter steps out after a pitch or foul ball and gets back in with his hand up. He's telling the ump he's not quite set. So no immediate pitch. Meanwhile, the pitcher is seldom ready to deliver a pitch because of the batter.
Will be interesting to see what happens.

Pitcher should have to throw the ball inside of 30 seconds after receiving ball back from catcher, ump or from around the horn.. with no one on base.
Zap wasn’t this a rule that was implemented a few years ago or were they just talking about it

The visit to the mound rule is a step in the right direction although it will affect some teams (Sanchez) more than others. Pitch clock is an idea whose time has come. Cut the number of warm-up pitches at the start of an inning from 8 to 5 or 6. Relief pitchers cannot be replaced until they've gotten one out or given up one run. Of course the last two cut into commercial time and MLB and their teams wouldn't like that.

I'm glad to hear this, but it seems to my untrained eye that the biggest delay is the batter stepping out of the box after every pitch to tighten gloves and adjust testicles. Are there any limitations placed on batters?

Loving this thread. There's nothing better than when I go to a high school game and they're playing under "hurry-up" rules. ( I can't remember what the rules are called, but the South Jersey Coaches tournament every spring does it so they can get two games in on a weekend morning.

And when is Zappaa going to get his own pinned thread? Always interesting!

Batter is part of the 30 second rule, has to be ready, if he steps out, he better do it quick and be back for delivery

So could the pitcher throw even if the batter wasn't back, or wasn't ready? I would like that.

The visit to the mound rule is a step in the right direction although it will affect some teams (Sanchez) more than others. Pitch clock is an idea whose time has come. Cut the number of warm-up pitches at the start of an inning from 8 to 5 or 6. Relief pitchers cannot be replaced until they've gotten one out or given up one run. Of course the last two cut into commercial time and MLB and their teams wouldn't like that.
They are changing the warm up rules as well. Time limit instead of pitch limit.

So could the pitcher throw even if the batter wasn't back, or wasn't ready? I would like that.
absolutely...
It would be an easy adjustment, pitcher knows he’s gotta get rid of the ball in 30 seconds, hitter can’t step out or ASK for time-out while pitcher’s foot is in contact with rubber.
Hitter must be ready to hit at all times within that 30 second time frame.
Sorry, you can’t look down to the third base coach 3-0 looking for a take sign, you have to know what your doing.
All bets are of when men are on base and getting signs from the 3rd base coach are in play, and guys are being held on.
I would still be very interested in keeping the no asking for timeout or stepping out when pitchers foot is in contact with rubber

Last edited:
Hargy was a jackass

absolutely...
It would be an easy adjustment, pitcher knows he’s gotta get rid of the ball in 30 seconds, hitter can’t step out or ASK for time-out while pitcher’s foot is in contact with rubber.
Hitter must be ready to hit at all times within that 30 second time frame.
Sorry, you can’t look down to the third base coach 3-0 looking for a take sign, you have to know what your doing.
All bets are of when men are on base and getting signs from the 3rd base coach are in play, and guys are being held on.
I would still be very interested in keeping the no asking for timeout or stepping out when pitchers foot is in contact with rubber
This sounds like fastpitch softball tournaments my kids play in. To check the 3rd base coaches signs the batter must have 1 foot in the box. Ump is very quick to tell the batter to get in the box and for the pitcher to pitch. But the games usually have an hour 15 minute or hour and a half time limit.

No backing out of the box when you take the pitch, except for umpires discretion if it high and tight and knocks you down, and I mean REALLY high and tight. These batters leaning over the plate in full body armor, then jump out of the way on a pitch on the inside half of the plate, then bark at the pitcher really need to settle down.

Ban the body armor too, then have the umpires call the real strike zone, meaning the whole plate. Also, raise the mound 6 inches too.

I think 30 seconds in that scenario is generous. I'd suggest it should be within 20 unless there was an equipment issue (shoelace untied, cleats need cleaning because of light rain / muddy conditions, etc).

Waaaaaa too ****ing bad....I'm sorry but you DO NOT need 30+ seconds between pitches, ever, whether you're on the mound or in the box. That is a LONG time my friend. These whack-a-doodles with their rituals, and whatnot, too freakin' bad. Either you can hit, or you can't, and same with pitching.

Are they still keeping that intentional walk rule this season?

Waaaaaa too ****ing bad....I'm sorry but you DO NOT need 30+ seconds between pitches, ever, whether you're on the mound or in the box. That is a LONG time my friend. These whack-a-doodles with their rituals, and whatnot, too freakin' bad. Either you can hit, or you can't, and same with pitching.
Unfortunately the Yankees have one of the worst offenders, if not the worst, in Sonny Gray. Speeding up his game could lead to an improvement.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT