ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mets have traded several players, including 22-year-old shortstop Andres Gimenez, to the Cleveland Indians in exchange for 4-time All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor and pitcher Carlos Carrasco, the team confirmed Thursday.

Reactions: Greg2020
Hate to see Gimenez go. Rosario had Jose Reyes as his mentor. Not sure that was a good thing. Always need pitching. $$$$

Reactions: redking
Their history remains this:0 for 19 for winning seasons during the first term of a Democratic President.Why should it change now?

Hate to see Gimenez go. Rosario had Jose Reyes as his mentor. Not sure that was a good thing. Always need pitching. $$$$
Rosario comes across as the player that's going to leave you wanting more from him, every year you think this is the year he'll blossom into a star, but never does.

Gimenez doesn't blow me away.. Rosario could still be a very good hitter, in fact he has shown some of that already. Not much I know about the 2 prospects except Wolf hits 97 mph on occasion. Clearly, signing Lindor to a long term, face of the franchise deal is a must!!! Carrasco is a nice #4/5 until they sign or develop another pitcher.

I never thought the Mets would pull the trigger on this trade without locking up Lindor first. If this is only a rental, the price is WAY too high. I will assume Cohen gets this done.
I am going to assume we see Lindor locked up...and if that happens- big time HR with also bringing back a pretty good SP to boot.I would still hope they go for Springer of Bradley but it is starting to look like Springer may be asking too much. And though it isnt my money- we cant be stupid

Alderson was asked if they had discussions with Lindor about an extension. He said no. They made this trade for one year of Lindor. If they work out an extension, all the better.

This was a trade for 2021.

The trade is a monster win by all accts for me. The only kind of bad thing is the Mets will have 4 of the top 10 FA next year. We need to sign 3 of them preferably in this order. Lindor, Conforto, Thor, Stroman.

Rosario and Gimenez are limited. Wolf and Greene have high upsides but they are far away so anything can happen and I am a big minor league junkie. Lindor is still young that you can't worry about it. This is no Kelenic/Cano or Stroman/SWR deal.

The trade is a monster win by all accts for me. The only kind of bad thing is the Mets will have 4 of the top 10 FA next year. We need to sign 3 of them preferably in this order. Lindor, Conforto, Thor, Stroman.

Rosario and Gimenez are limited. Wolf and Greene have high upsides but they are far away so anything can happen and I am a big minor league junkie. Lindor is still young that you can't worry about it. This is no Kelenic/Cano or Stroman/SWR deal.
Conforto, Thor, Lindor

Wolf and Greene were supposedly the #9 and #10 prospects in the organization. If they Indians hit with one of them the deal will look better. Surprised the Indians wanted both Rosario and Gimenez. Hopefully the Mets lock up Lindor although hearing he may be looking for a Mookie Betts type deal. Is he that good? The Mets top prospect Maurico also plays SS.

I love Conforto but Lindor is an overall better player at a more important position which is why I put him #1.
Oh... you wanted this in order?

Lindor, Conforto, Thor. Lol. But it is a disaster if this is only a one year deal.

I have to think Mets know what Lindor wants and will give him the $. I would have preferred that Mets had spoken to his agent prior to the trade however

I never thought the Mets would pull the trigger on this trade without locking up Lindor first. If this is only a rental, the price is WAY too high. I will assume Cohen gets this done.
Careful not to pay too much for Lindor. He normally comes up small in big games. Nice player, but not worth getting any too many assets.

Lindor has nice power numbers, I wonder how Cleveland plays as a HR site compared to Citi Field?

I have to think Mets know what Lindor wants and will give him the $. I would have preferred that Mets had spoken to his agent prior to the trade however
At first I thought that too, but now I don't know. Maybe the Cohen/Alderson approach is why lock up Lindor now - why not let him play out his contract, and then be prepared to shop next year in a loaded SS market. (Baez, Correa, Seager, Story as well as Lindor.)

Reactions: RURM85 and Greg2020
Wolf and Greene were supposedly the #9 and #10 prospects in the organization. If they Indians hit with one of them the deal will look better. Surprised the Indians wanted both Rosario and Gimenez. Hopefully the Mets lock up Lindor although hearing he may be looking for a Mookie Betts type deal. Is he that good? The Mets top prospect Maurico also plays SS.
MLB.com just updated their rankings to reflect the trade. They've slotted Wolf at #12 and Greene at #16 in Cleveland's rankings. Maybe an indicator that their farm system is stronger.

In the press conference, Alderson said while no one is untouchable, there are 5 or 6 prospects that they really don't want to give up. Obviously Wolf and Greene were not among them.

Good point about Mauricio. Maybe Mets think that if they don't re-sign Lindor, Mauricio may be ready in 2022. Although some reports suggest that at 6'3", as his body matures he may outgrow SS and be a better long term fit at 3B.

At first I thought that too, but now I don't know. Maybe the Cohen/Alderson approach is why lock up Lindor now - why not let him play out his contract, and then be prepared to shop next year in a loaded SS market. (Baez, Correa, Seager, Story as well as Lindor.)
You very well could be right but I think if this happened, it would be very bad optics.

Buster Olney had a very interesting tweet. Said Lindors leverage is probably at its highest now given the strong free agent SS market next year. Thus my thinking that deal gets done prior to season. Probably 7 year $230M or so.

Met's fans are worried that we may only have Lindor for a year- 3 Amigos think he comes up short in big games so such a bad move. And this is from the Amigos who are paying Stanton 30 something million per year for the next generation.

My take- Rosario and or Gimenez are both limited. Neither would ever be a top 20 SS. Lindor is a top 5 guy and an amazing fielder and they say great clubhouse guy. We aren't going to miss the two guys we gave up and neither prospect is a HR for Cleveland.
Worst case- we don't sign Lindor and end up signing one of the other SS's instead. What would be the difference of locking up Lindor this year to a 5-7 year contract or make him play it out and either try to sign him next year or one of the other top 5 SS's that will be out there.

Love this move. And we get a quality Starter as well. Our 2021 team is looking strong as hell right now. Now if he can pull the trigger on Springer...

Big fantasy postseason guy and I was done drafting Lindor. Hope this isn’t Wright 2 come crunch time.

Reactions: redking
When I sort the data for home runs I come up with Citi as 6th most and Progressive in the bottom half at 19. Progressive is a little easier to hit doubles and Citi is extremely difficult to hit triples.

Big fantasy postseason guy and I was done drafting Lindor. Hope this isn’t Wright 2 come crunch time.
Looks like he had good post seasons in 2016 and 2018 but came up short in 17 and 20...so, who knows.
But if he gets us there and fields- we have a ton of bats in our lineups. But honestly- if you prorate his Post Seasons into a full season stats he is a .263 BA 30+ HR guy...just saying

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT