ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like he had good post seasons in 2016 and 2018 but came up short in 17 and 20...so, who knows.
But if he gets us there and fields- we have a ton of bats in our lineups. But honestly- if you prorate his Post Seasons into a full season stats he is a .263 BA 30+ HR guy...just saying

Trust me, Iā€™m hoping for Jeter output at crunch for the Metsies for the next X years. Will believe it when I see it.

Trust me, Iā€™m hoping for Jeter output at crunch for the Metsies for the next X years. Will believe it when I see it.
If we have a SS that can field, run bases, hit .285+ 25-35 HR and good clubhouse...Linder/Story etc for the foreseeable future...Iā€™ll take my chances in the playoffs we most likely see on a yearly basis...šŸ‘šŸ˜€

Reactions: RUfinally2008
You can't negotiate with a player while he is on another team and under contract. I can't imagine they traded for him without seriously planning to sign him.
You can with permission. Since Cleveland was actively shopping him, I believe they would have granted permission.

Same concept as if you want to interview another team's coach for your managerial job.

I have to say that in my book- the trade that also brings in a solid #2/3 starter, should allow us to forego Bauer and his over inflated wishes and maybe pick up a back of the rotation guy.
Saving money on not going for Bauer- I would hope they decide to step it up on Springer.

Yeah Carrasco ends the Bauer bid for me. All in on Springer I plead. Iā€™ll cope with JBJ.

Reactions: Greg2020
Yeah Carrasco ends the Bauer bid for me. All in on Springer I plead. Iā€™ll cope with JBJ.
There could be an argument that Carrasco could be the better pitcher. Outside of 2019...he has never had an era over 3.63
He is a solid 2 on most teams and would be the Ace on some of the lower teams.

Reactions: Greg2020
So after adding the Linder and Carracco salaries to the 2021 payroll how far off are the Mets from the luxury tax threshold? And do they have enough in the gas tank to pay for Springer and another bullpen hand without paying a luxury tax? Inquiring minds want to know.

So after adding the Linder and Carracco salaries to the 2021 payroll how far off are the Mets from the luxury tax threshold? And do they have enough in the gas tank to pay for Springer and another bullpen hand without paying a luxury tax? Inquiring minds want to know.
The a-hole in me, which is occasionally predominant, tells you to research it yourself like I did.

The nice guy in me provides a link and a summary. Mets may be able to acquire Springer (but not much else) and stay under the 2021 threshold. But the primary concern is 2022-23. That's when their payroll will be bloated by a Lindor extension, a Conforto extension, and two more years of Cano.

• Haha
Reactions: redking
The a-hole in me, which is occasionally predominant, tells you to research it yourself like I did.

The nice guy in me provides a link and a summary. Mets may be able to acquire Springer (but not much else) and stay under the 2021 threshold. But the primary concern is 2022-23. That's when their payroll will be bloated by a Lindor extension, a Conforto extension, and two more years of Cano.
Too lazy tonight. Was listening to Baseball Night in NY and the talking heads were saying they doubt Mets sign Springer due to not wanting to surpass the Luxury Tax. Needed more details and I wanted talking heads to explain of which they didnā€™t. I knew you would have the answers instead of Google. Thank you.

I re-read the article... IMO the most important takeaway is this question: "So this could come down to who do you want more long term: Springer or Conforto?" Or maybe which two of the three do you want more long term: Springer, Conforto, or Lindor? I would be shocked if the Mets give long term $200M+ contracts to all three.

As the article states, Lindor will probably use Manny Machado's 10 year $300M contract as the baseline. Springer wants at least 5 @ $150M. Boras isn't going to be doing the Mets any favors with Conforto (nor should he). Syndergaard and Stroman are coming due - gotta sign one of them, right? And you've still got two more years of Cano.

Here is where the Mets depletion of the minor league system comes home to roost. No team, market size notwithstanding, can afford a roster full of veteran stars. You need the constant flow of pre-arbitration guys to support those stars. In the last few years, we had that with the likes of Rosario, Gimenez, Alonso, McNeil, Smith, Davis, and Peterson. But, you have to pay them eventually. So the pipeline must flow consistently. It should resume around 2023. But what to do until then?

Last edited:
Reactions: redking and RURM85
Yeah JBJ seems most likely now, hence another reason why I wasnā€™t in favor of a Lindor trade.

What do we do now with Smith if there is no DH and we do get JBJ or Springer?
Davis seems to be locked in at 3B and we would have 4 OF that need to play every day? Somehow- smith needs to find 450-500 AB

Hate the DH even though at this point in time, it's a good fit for the Mets. Still I'll take a pass.
Iā€™ve actually changed my mind over it. Originally hated it. Hated it more since it is the only sport where there are different rules for the divisions. After watching pitchers get hurt trying to bat/bunt I have seen the light.

What do we do now with Smith if there is no DH and we do get JBJ or Springer?
Davis seems to be locked in at 3B and we would have 4 OF that need to play every day? Somehow- smith needs to find 450-500 AB

I think they would look to trade him. Too good to sit on pine.

Iā€™ve actually changed my mind over it. Originally hated it. Hated it more since it is the only sport where there are different rules for the divisions. After watching pitchers get hurt trying to bat/bunt I have seen the light.

Iā€™m all in now too.

Reactions: RuBird
I think they would look to trade him. Too good to sit on pine.
It is funny- as it would be a crime for this guy not to be starting somewhere- It would also be a crime to trade a potential AS/MVP type player without a significant return. And even if worse if anyone of the OF or Alonso get hurt during the season. As part of any package, we would need a proven 4th OF, maybe a 2/3rd P or a couple of top prospects

As I look at the team now- Worst case is we hold off on a CF and we have a week defensive OF- interesting though, if we do get a good CF, our Outfield defense goes immediately from bad to above average. But with no further moves, I still feel good with the following "realistic offense" if everyone stay relatively health
C/McCann - .270 18 HR 6-70 RBI
1B/Alonso - .255 35-40 HR 100+ RBI
2B/McNeil - .310-.320 15 HR 70RBI
3B/Davis - .275-.290 20-25 HR 80-90 RBI
SS/Lindor - .280 25-30 HR 100+ Runs 90 RBI 20 SB
LF/Smith - .280-.310 30HR 100+ RBI
CF/Nimmo - .260/.385(OBP) .270-.280 15-20HR 60-70 RBI
RF/Conforto - .280-.300 25-35 HR 90-110 RBI

SP- deGrom(2.50) Carrasco (2.90-3.50) Stroman(3.30-3.60) Peterson(3.40-3.90) Matz/Lugo(4+)
MR - Would be much better if Lugo is there but should at least not be a weakness with adding May
C- Diaz (2019) looks to have been the outliner and he may be a top 10 closer

Outside of OF/3B defense - this is a pretty damn solid team. As a Met fan- we have never had a team quite like it...Would like to see more speed though. But Nimmo/Conforto/Davis/McNeil arent that slow, they just aren't base stealers.

As I look at the team now- Worst case is we hold off on a CF and we have a week defensive OF- interesting though, if we do get a good CF, our Outfield defense goes immediately from bad to above average. But with no further moves, I still feel good with the following "realistic offense" if everyone stay relatively health
C/McCann - .270 18 HR 6-70 RBI
1B/Alonso - .255 35-40 HR 100+ RBI
2B/McNeil - .310-.320 15 HR 70RBI
3B/Davis - .275-.290 20-25 HR 80-90 RBI
SS/Lindor - .280 25-30 HR 100+ Runs 90 RBI 20 SB
LF/Smith - .280-.310 30HR 100+ RBI
CF/Nimmo - .260/.385(OBP) .270-.280 15-20HR 60-70 RBI
RF/Conforto - .280-.300 25-35 HR 90-110 RBI

SP- deGrom(2.50) Carrasco (2.90-3.50) Stroman(3.30-3.60) Peterson(3.40-3.90) Matz/Lugo(4+)
MR - Would be much better if Lugo is there but should at least not be a weakness with adding May
C- Diaz (2019) looks to have been the outliner and he may be a top 10 closer

Outside of OF/3B defense - this is a pretty damn solid team. As a Met fan- we have never had a team quite like it...Would like to see more speed though. But Nimmo/Conforto/Davis/McNeil arent that slow, they just aren't base stealers.
Good analysis. At the very minimum, must add a couple of bench pieces. Right now the bench is Guillorme and not much else.

Crazy part is DeGrom @ 2.50 would be a big drop off for a full season !!

best part of Degrom ....when you talk about game and say ā€œman Jake didnā€™t have it tonight ā€œ then you read box score ....6 & 2/3 2 runs 8 hits 2 walks. Heā€™s that good !!!!!!!!

Reactions: cicero grimes
Crazy part is DeGrom @ 2.50 would be a big drop off for a full season !!

best part of Degrom ....when you talk about game and say ā€œman Jake didnā€™t have it tonight ā€œ then you read box score ....6 & 2/3 2 runs 8 hits 2 walks. Heā€™s that good !!!!!!!!
I tried to be very conservative with the numbers. We all know some guys will do better and others worse.
But you are right with deGrom. Itā€™s amazing to write 2.50 ERA as a conservative number. You are also right on how we now judge his individual games. If he gives up 2 runs in 6 innings- we feel it was a bad game.

Drury sucks. Would be a surprise if he were a good bench piece this year.

Very nervous about Lindor signing long term or if he does, ruining the pay structure moving forward.https://www.mlb.com/mets/video/mets-on-deal-for-lindor-carrasco?t=trade-talk

I'm optimistic about all of the above.

Worst case scenario is they don't sign Lindor. A bunch of Shortstops are due to become FAs next year and then the Mets are in the marketplace. In some ways, it may be good to see how Lindor performs this year prior to signing him. In addition, Lindor's highest leverage is now and may not be the same during the season or after the season.

As for Pay Structure, while it will not happen for the 2021 season, Cohen is not opposed to exceeding the Luxury Tax threshold (per his prior statements) and that may very well happen for a period of time. Some other teams currently exceed the threshold, and Cohen may have to play this game. He clearly has the money, thus, wouldn't be constrained to a degree, as opposed to prior Ownership. If it happens, it happens.

The most important thing long term is the Minor Legaue System - identifying talent and player development, of which the Mets need to get better at and this will support a reasonable pay structure in the future. We know Cohen plans to make significant investments in the Minor League system and Alderson (and staff) are highly qualified to develop a stronger minor league system which theoretically will reduce the pay structure in the future (ie bringing up young talent as opposed to signing older talent at a higher cost).

Last edited:
Drury sucks. Would be a surprise if he were a good bench piece this year.
As a bench player- he may fit the role. Veteran player, can play mult positions, professional type guy who may not have flash but plays baseball smart and has some pop off the bench. Who know- only signed to a minor league deal so no biggie either way...Would actually love a Flores/Cabrera type but I think both those guys are still considered full time players

As I look at our team and the "IF" we don't sign Springer...I would rather go into the season with our position players as they are instead of going for JBJ. I just don't really see the plus side of him. Yes, he is a better fielder than Nimmo in CF but at the plate- he really sucks. His defensive improvement would mean we lose a bat like Smith's. is a .285-.300 30/35 HR 100+ RBI guy. JBJ - .240ish with 15HR's or so...
Would much rather do what we did last year and find a 4th OF that is a defensive replacement and save the $$$ we would spend on JBJ to use it for an extension for one of our young stars like Conforto/Noah etc

Reactions: redking
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT