ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
File Bryant in the same postseason bin as Lindor for me. Springer if we are going to add another big salary, please.

I never thought the Mets would pull the trigger on this trade without locking up Lindor first. If this is only a rental, the price is WAY too high. I will assume Cohen gets this done.

Signing windows aren't really a thing anymore. Nothing to worry about.

As I look at the team now- Worst case is we hold off on a CF and we have a week defensive OF- interesting though, if we do get a good CF, our Outfield defense goes immediately from bad to above average. But with no further moves, I still feel good with the following "realistic offense" if everyone stay relatively health
C/McCann - .270 18 HR 6-70 RBI
1B/Alonso - .255 35-40 HR 100+ RBI
2B/McNeil - .310-.320 15 HR 70RBI
3B/Davis - .275-.290 20-25 HR 80-90 RBI
SS/Lindor - .280 25-30 HR 100+ Runs 90 RBI 20 SB
LF/Smith - .280-.310 30HR 100+ RBI
CF/Nimmo - .260/.385(OBP) .270-.280 15-20HR 60-70 RBI
RF/Conforto - .280-.300 25-35 HR 90-110 RBI

SP- deGrom(2.50) Carrasco (2.90-3.50) Stroman(3.30-3.60) Peterson(3.40-3.90) Matz/Lugo(4+)
MR - Would be much better if Lugo is there but should at least not be a weakness with adding May
C- Diaz (2019) looks to have been the outliner and he may be a top 10 closer

Outside of OF/3B defense - this is a pretty damn solid team. As a Met fan- we have never had a team quite like it...Would like to see more speed though. But Nimmo/Conforto/Davis/McNeil arent that slow, they just aren't base stealers.
I'll sign for this. Might be a bit high on Smith's HR total, but love him as a hitter.

I'll sign for this. Might be a bit high on Smith's HR total, but love him as a hitter.
It could be high but depends on the AB's- last 2 years he has had 177 AB's each season and has had 11 & 10 HR's- both years would be in the 28-33 HR for a full year. But even if he goes .300 28 HR- guy was an RBI machine last year. I think we both agree a very good hitter. Doesn't look to have too many holes in his swing either
I would have worried about a rental if this trade was made in the last administration, but Cohen will get this done.
I am not even worried about a rental...We gave up two SS's who may have a potential to be .280 and 10-15 HR. 20ish SB's. That is maxed out potential as I see it at least. The minor league guys...ehhh not a game changer. I may have given up Rosario and 1 or 2 of those minor league guys for Carrasco. Which means we gave up Gimenez and maybe a mid level prospect for Lindor.
Now, let's say we don't lock him up- what is the difference between locking him up now or signing either him or one of the other great SS's on the market next year? But everything I see with this kid, he wants NYC in a big way

Getting queasy at thoughts of $300M+ it will likely take to resign him. 🤕

I am not sure where the PS stuff is coming from.

Just double-checked my October 2020 postseason roster. Of 25 players on my team, he put up a whopping -1.25 to finish at the bottom of the list. He's done something similar in one of the recent years.

Not the type of output I'm looking for from my fantasy squad, let alone the real team that I root for at crunch.

Last edited:
In fairness, I dropped him after his 9/29 game this year as I had since this movie before (and knew they were about to be done in the series vs. the Yanks).

Just double-checked my October 2020 postseason roster. Of 25 players on my team, he put up a whopping -1.25 to finish at the bottom of the list. He's done something similar in one of the recent years.

Not the type of output I'm looking for from my fantasy squad, let alone the real team that I root for at crunch.
He has had a couple of duds but a couple of good series too. I believe his numbers were outstanding during their WS run. But to be honest- I don't base value on someone's "fantasy teams"...Does not talk of their defense, leadership or even how their presence may change how a pitcher pitches to the rest of the team.

I would be very happy to sign this guy for 10 years.

You can count the players worth a 10 year deal on both hands and Lindor is defintely one of them.

You can count the players worth a 10 year deal on both hands and Lindor is defintely one of them.
Being 27 is key...he could actually be performing at a high level in the last 3 years of that type of contract. At very worst, moved to 3B

I would rather go after Hand for much less....Question- Is Corey Kluber finished or would he be worth a flier for a favorable contract? He can't be worse than Matz...
My opinion: Mets really need to sign Mr Hand. Solidifies bullpen. Kluber - only sign him with extremely favorable contract. Too injury prone. He cannot be worse than Matz. Lol. I’m in the minority I’m sure but I actually think James Paxton would be a decent signing. Add another lefty to rotation and he won’t cost much and can probably get him for 2 year deal.

Or 2b as well. 10 years is a huge commitment I’d prefer 7 - 8 years.
Don't disagree but the reality is that a 27/28 y/o SS who is a top player in the sport- is going for 10 years. Plus- the 300M number has been talked about- I am sure the 200M number that Clev couldnt get done was most likely a 7 year deal. And yes, 2B is a good spot too.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
My opinion: Mets really need to sign Mr Hand. Solidifies bullpen. Kluber - only sign him with extremely favorable contract. Too injury prone. He cannot be worse than Matz. Lol. I’m in the minority I’m sure but I actually think James Paxton would be a decent signing. Add another lefty to rotation and he won’t cost much and can probably get him for 2 year deal.
I also would consider Paxton. Getting Carrasco changes this off season a lot. Right now- signing anyone better than Matz helps this team. Paxton may actually be a HR signing if at the right price. Kluber- I saw someone in an article propose something like a $6m base and make it incentive laced based on things like innings pitched. Go with just a 1 year deal but a player option if he hits certain incentives. Agree- Gotta really go after Hand
Would love a rotation of deGrom/Carrasco/Stroman/Paxton or Kluber/Peterson and Noah coming back in June.
BP May, Hand, Familia, Lugo Closer Diaz
With our lineup...
And if we don't bring in Springer, I debate if JBJ defense and some speed is worth losing Smith's bat in the lineup.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Don't disagree but the reality is that a 27/28 y/o SS who is a top player in the sport- is going for 10 years. Plus- the 300M number has been talked about- I am sure the 200M number that Clev couldnt get done was most likely a 7 year deal. And yes, 2B is a good spot too.
Is 10 year 300 mil contract feasible ?

Manny Machado, who IMO is not as valuable as Lindor, got $300M over 10 years. I am sure Team Lindor views that as a floor. That's where negotiations start.

On the other hand, Mookie Betts got $365M over 12 years. I suspect (although I am less sure of this) that the Mets view that as a ceiling. That's where negotiations end.

Expect $320M over 10, with some of the money deferred.

I wonder how the Mets attack this contract with Lindor? Do they try to get this done during spring training or wait to see how he adapts to NYC the fans and media. If he gets off to a fast start, the price goes up, and if not, how much cheaper does he really come? I'd hope the thinking is get it done before Opening day, have him in place for the next 5-7 years and get ready to fill in the spots that turn up to be real needs. Either way, the feel and optics of being a Mets fan haven't been this high since 2015.

I wonder how the Mets attack this contract with Lindor? Do they try to get this done during spring training or wait to see how he adapts to NYC the fans and media. If he gets off to a fast start, the price goes up, and if not, how much cheaper does he really come? I'd hope the thinking is get it done before Opening day, have him in place for the next 7-10 years and get ready to fill in the spots that turn up to be real needs. Either way, the feel and optics of being a Mets fan haven't been this high since 2015.
FIFY
5-7 won't work- he turned that down in Clev already.

Reactions: Greg2020
Sounds like if a deal isn't done before the start of the season then there won't be one until after.

Paxton results wise is good but he's always hurt. We'll have to sign another SP if get him just to back him up which scares me. I would love a small base high incentive deal for Kluber if he looks get at his workout.

I disagree. See Stanton.
Stanton always had that feel of a paper tiger. Plus, OF/DH is not really a position that a player can also control games without a bat. SS- is one of those positions that even defense and leadership can be a difference maker. So- bat could go cold but a player at SS can still be valuable to the team.
You could also argue that the first Arod yankee contract was good for the Yanks and so were the long Jeter deals.
I hate to also use this but I also feel going all in on a player like this would also just pay for itself in the image of the team to it's fans.

Mets are still talking to Springer and Hand, as well as LeMahieu... Hand they are just not agreeing on the years apparently.

Mets are still talking to Springer and Hand, as well as LeMahieu... Hand they are just not agreeing on the years apparently.
My issue at this point with DJ and Springer- It would mean that there would be a good chance of at least one of Noah, Conforto, maybe a McNeil not being in our long term plans

On the other hand...I sort of would love DJ on the team, move McNeil to 3B and trade Davis for some good prospects. Of course, Springer is also a great signing if we can do it but not sure we would go with a contract like his and also Lindor new contract in same year.

Brian McCann ranked #10 in mlb.com rankings of Top 10 Catchers Right Now.

No Mets were named in their rankings of Top Ten Relief Pitchers. Brad Hand, a Met target, was #6.

Those are the only rankings announced thus far.

Brian McCann ranked #10 in mlb.com rankings of Top 10 Catchers Right Now.

No Mets were named in their rankings of Top Ten Relief Pitchers. Brad Hand, a Met target, was #6.

Those are the only rankings announced thus far.
With the Met's 2019 being so awful- would be hard to put Diaz up there even with the 2020 he had. Fair enough with RP's

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT