ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian McCann ranked #10 in mlb.com rankings of Top 10 Catchers Right Now.

No Mets were named in their rankings of Top Ten Relief Pitchers. Brad Hand, a Met target, was #6.

Those are the only rankings announced thus far.
MLB.com just announced it's Top 10 CF right now. Nimmo #5!!! Speaks to a dearth of quality CF. Springer #3, behind Trout and Bellinger.

Reactions: Greg2020
With the signing of Martinez, the Mets Opening Day 26 man roster is taking shape. We are now at the point where you can put together a credible roster with no further moves. I fully expect that the Mets will make one more big (or at least midsize) move and a couple of smaller ones. But if they don't, here's their roster:

STARTING LINEUP:
Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Conforto RF
Alonso DH (assuming there is one)
D. Smith 1B
Davis 3B
McNeil 2B
Martinez LF
McCann C

BENCH
Nido C
Guillorme IF
Peraza (non-roster) IF
Heredia OR Mallex Smith (non-roster) OF

STARTING PITCHING
deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco
Peterson
Matz OR Lugo

BULLPEN
Diaz
May
Lugo OR Matz
Familia (guaranteed contract)
Betances (ditto)
Brach (ditto, although his is smaller and more cuttable)
About a dozen guys competing for the last two spots, or maybe five or six spots, depending on how much guaranteed money the Mets are willing to eat.

Yes we could use a CF, another starter, and another reliever. But if we had to go to war with this 26 man roster, it wouldn't be terrible.

With the signing of Martinez, the Mets Opening Day 26 man roster is taking shape. We are now at the point where you can put together a credible roster with no further moves. I fully expect that the Mets will make one more big (or at least midsize) move and a couple of smaller ones. But if they don't, here's their roster:

STARTING LINEUP:
Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Conforto RF
D. Smith 1B
Davis 3B
McNeil 2B
Martinez LF
McCann C

BENCH
Nido C
Guillorme IF
Peraza (non-roster) IF

STARTING PITCHING
deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco
Peterson
Matz OR Lugo

BULLPEN
Diaz
May
Lugo OR Matz
Betances (ditto)
About a dozen guys competing for the last two spots, or maybe five or six spots, depending on how much guaranteed money the Mets are willing to eat.

Yes we could use a CF, another starter, and another reliever. But if we had to go to war with this 26 man roster, it wouldn't be terrible.
We're looking at a 88-92 win team, with a wild card spot for the taking I think. Based on the full season every baseball fan is hoping for.

Reactions: cicero grimes
We're looking at a 88-92 win team, with a wild card spot for the taking I think. Based on the full season every baseball fan is hoping for.
I’m not as confident. I see a team with a weak bench; a questionable back end rotation ; a questionable relieve corps and questionable defense in Nimmo; Davis and Martinez.

To become that 88-92 win team, I think Mets need Brad Hand, a back end starter (Paxton / Odorizzi / Kluber/Tanaka) and another bat that can play defense ( Bradley). Of course or Springer or Bauer as well. Lol
Martinez though a good signing needs to be a compliment off the bench. Not a starter. If I recall, his defense is very shaky.
I realize Thor returns in mid season but you can’t count on him given the injury until 2022

Last edited:
Even when the DH Martinez would be coming off the bench. Definitely need another SP and RP. I think we get Hand.

One factor I did not mention was help from upcoming rookies, and with good reason. For position players, Mets have nothing on the horizon for at least another year, more likely two. Maybe Szapucki, Kilome or McWilliams will emerge as candidates for fifth starter. There are several rookie bullpen candidates, but none who jump out at you.

We do need a middle relief and would love a back end starter so that we know that Lugo is in the BP. No way do I touch Bauer at this point though. Like the Paxton type of signing or possibly Kluber if he showed anything the other day.
Bench is a bit weak. I am not as high on JBJ but the recent signing may make that option better. If we have MArtinez on the bench and JBJ in CF- that makes a very solid team out there.
But even as DW has the lineup above- insane that our Met's could actually have a guy that you can just pencil in for .310 15 HR batting 7th, a guy that you can most likely pencil in for .280 15HR batting 8th and a C batting 9th with a .265 15 HR
Not to long ago- that would be better than our 3-4-5 guys lol

Hand close to deal with Mets per Rosenthal!!!! Even better since I just predicted 30 mins ago.

Hand close to deal with Mets per Rosenthal!!!! Even better since I just predicted 30 mins ago.
This would be another HR move.

What I like is that while the Met's do have a owner with unlimited funds- they are also making smart baseball decisions. Signing a guy like McCann instead of JTR allows us to make a bunch of other great moves. The TRADE- brilliant as well. Again- by not signing JTR's or Bauer types- it will allow us to possible go Bank with Lindor and Conforto

STARTING LINEUP:
Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Conforto RF
D. Smith 1B
Davis 3B
McNeil 2B
Martinez LF
McCann C

BENCH
Nido C
Guillorme IF
Peraza (non-roster) IF

STARTING PITCHING
deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco
Peterson
Matz OR Lugo

BULLPEN
Diaz
May
Lugo OR Matz
Betances (ditto)

Its a competitive lineup. Just stay healthy. Not a lot of minor league depth to compensate for injuries.

My Idealistic Remaining Goals:
1) Springer
2) Hand
3) Better SP over Matz (April-June)
4) Solid defensive 3B
5) Trade JD Davis, Familia, Betances to help clear room/space to accomplish 1-4 (nobody wants Familia and/or Betances at those salaries, I know). Open to trading Dom too if they sadly park the DH.

1) Springer
2) Hand
4) Solid defensive 3B
5) Trade JD Davis, Familia, Betances to help clear room/space to accomplish 1-4 (nobody wants Familia and/or Betances at those salaries, I know). Open to trading Dom too if they sadly park the DH.
I was glad to hear Alderson said that Dom is going nowhere. I hope he can be taken at his word and this is not similar to the dreaded voted of confidence that coach's often receive before being canned.

Reactions: Zak57 and Greg2020
1) Springer
2) Hand
4) Solid defensive 3B
I would hold onto Dom. Even if no DH in 2021, the collective agreement is up and we should see the DH in 22.

I would hold onto Dom. Even if no DH in 2021, the collective agreement is up and we should see the DH in 22.
Who is the bench guy then? Can't have DS as a bench guy, no way Alonso is bench and want to punch myself in the face if Davis is on the bench.
If no DH- we have to move someone for a mega horde of prospects

Who is the bench guy then? Can't have DS as a bench guy, no way Alonso is bench and want to punch myself in the face if Davis is on the bench.
If no DH- we have to move someone for a mega horde of prospects
You speak as though Davis is a superstar. I like Davis but if he gets beat out and winds up on the bench then they have a stronger bench.

You speak as though Davis is a superstar. I like Davis but if he gets beat out and winds up on the bench then they have a stronger bench.
full year- worst case with Davis is .265 20 HR, best case is .300 25-30HR most likely pencil him in for .275 22-25 HR 90 RBI
That guy is a solid above average hitter. He also just seems like a Clubhouse rock.

But to your point, it is why I bring him up as the most likely move for prospects. This guy would be a 10 year DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT