ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still need to work out a long term deal with Noah...but can wait on his return
Ya know I don't think that Cohen thinks that way. I think he views the entire 2022 free agent class as his marketplace. If he thinks (or more specifically, if Alderson/Porter advise him), that somebody else offers better quality/value, that's where he'll go.

I think that's his mindset with Lindor as well.

Ya know I don't think that Cohen thinks that way. I think he views the entire 2022 free agent class as his marketplace. If he thinks (or more specifically, if Alderson/Porter advise him), that somebody else offers better quality/value, that's where he'll go.

I think that's his mindset with Lindor as well.
Ahhhh- I get you but he is also a Met's fan in if there is any additional value to a guy Met's fans feel is their own, I think he will lean that direction. Noah vs a pitcher with exact same stats in Clev will land on Noah every single time. Lindor- to me is a statement- I do think there will be great SS's available in 2022 but Lindor will represent something to a Met's fan...OK- unless he pulls a Alomar on us lol

How the hell is Matz worth 5.2 mil?🤬
If you view last year as an aberration which will not be repeated, as the Mets obviously do, then he is clearly worth $5.2 million.

Once the Mets decided to offer Matz arbitration, then a salary of approximately $5M was a certainty. That's how arbitration works.

Hate to bring up the Yankees but I am not going to be a troll on their thread so I do have to bust some balls and have fun with it so I will do it here...
Up until yesterday, their previous last post was Dec 10th...lol
Now- after they kept a player from leaving(didn't add him, just didn't lose him) - though, I do give Cashman credit for a very Club friendly contract and paid $11 mil bidding against themselves for a SP that has pitched 36 innings in the last 2 years. (yes, I would like him for potential 5th starter but that would have been with a $6mil base and incentives- no Fing way for 11mil)
They are jumping up and down over there like they just won the off season.

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Hate to bring up the Yankees but I am not going to be a troll on their thread so I do have to bust some balls and have fun with it so I will do it here...
Now- after they kept a player from leaving(didn't add him, just didn't lose him) - though, I do give Cashman credit for a very Club friendly contract and paid $11 mil bidding against themselves for a SP that has pitched 36 innings in the last 2 years. (yes, I would like him for potential 5th starter but that would have been with a $6mil base and incentives- no Fing way for 11mil)
Mets fans got our own problems to worry about Yankees:
Do they extend Conforto, Thor, Lindor, deGrom (again),
Dom or Pete at 1B,
Who's the CF,
Do they get another SP, BP (Hand)?
How the hell is Matz STILL on the team?
And... umm... How does Rojas do in a full season?

The best player that has moved or could have moved (FA or trade) is DJ. Yanks kept him at a remarkable club friendly contract because DJ loves being a Yankee. Mission accomplished. Kluber with a no-risk contract, another win.

The best player that has moved or could have moved (FA or trade) is DJ. Yanks kept him at a remarkable club friendly contract because DJ loves being a Yankee. Mission accomplished. Kluber with a no-risk contract, another win.
Two great pick ups by the Yanks.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Two great pick ups by the Yanks.
+1
The Yanks don't need much. Their biggest issue is staying healthy. If we do, we will be a legit WS contender, if we don't, we need to start dumping those often injured players and move on.

+1
The Yanks don't need much. Their biggest issue is staying healthy. If we do, we will be a legit WS contender, if we don't, we need to start dumping those often injured players and move on.
BTW, I told the other Yankee fan K about having a truce for the 22 season but never heard back from him. What say you? 🤷🏻‍♂️

BTW, I told the other Yankee fan K about having a truce for the 22 season but never heard back from him. What say you? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Truce is good for the 22 season, but for the 21 season, I'm going to BURY you guys!!!!!
😜

Dom or Pete at 1B,
Who's the CF,
My responses are in red:

These to me are more decisions than problems per se. There is a difference. To use a very bad analogy, it's like you have a car with one year to go on the lease. You really like the car. The dealership will let you buy it now. You are unsure if you want to do that, or let the lease expire and shop around (and maybe buy it back then). Either way, you can't really go wrong as long as you have the money to spend!

Dom or Pete at 1B,
If this is a problem, there are a whole lot of teams who would be happy to have that problem.

Who's the CF,
OK that's a problem, but I believe a solution is at hand. (And speaking of Hand...)

My glass ball (fake crystal) says yes, they get another SP, but not necessarily one you'll be happy with. More like an inexpensive Wacha type, but hopefully with better results. Why? Because they will have spent the money elsewhere, on a CF... and Hand!

It's January. Let's see if he's on the team in mid-March. If I understand it correctly, his full salary isn't guaranteed until then.

That depends on how the team does. I know that sounds snarky but it's the best answer I got.

My responses are in red:

These to me are more decisions than problems per se. There is a difference. To use a very bad analogy, it's like you have a car with one year to go on the lease. You really like the car. The dealership will let you buy it now. You are unsure if you want to do that, or let the lease expire and shop around (and maybe buy it back then). Either way, you can't really go wrong as long as you have the money to spend!
Good description.

Dom or Pete at 1B,
If this is a problem, there are a whole lot of teams who would be happy to have that problem.
Agreed but there's some who says Alonso is an automatic at this spot, eventhough Smith is becoming an equal with his own set of skills. DH makes this moot but if no DH, I'd put Smith in LF for his bat and call it a day.

Who's the CF,
OK that's a problem, but I believe a solution is at hand. (And speaking of Hand...)
If no Springer, then just go with Nimmo and hop he improves. If not he should be first bait for a July trade.

My glass ball (fake crystal) says yes, they get another SP, but not necessarily one you'll be happy with. More like an inexpensive Wacha type, but hopefully with better results. Why? Because they will have spent the money elsewhere, on a CF... and Hand!
I could live with this. Really dont need Bauer's one great year skew everything up.

It's January. Let's see if he's on the team in mid-March. If I understand it correctly, his full salary isn't guaranteed until then.
This guy has more chances than most. Wouldve been ideal if Matz went to the pen as the other lefty and Lugo eat up innings as the 5th man.

That depends on how the team does. I know that sounds snarky but it's the best answer I got.
Heres hoping that Alou Baseball Blood in him guides him through 21 ok lol.

You know what? On second thought...

Only if the Mets goes balls deep on Lindor and Conforto.

To clarify what I am saying- I agree that both moves were good- DJ was a no brainer and a super club friendly contract...Kluber- I would have liked him on the Mets...
But- DJ signing does not make you stronger...You just didn't get weaker. Had to sign him and the $$$ makes it a huge deal- but your lineup did not improve with this signing. Status Quo
Kluber- You are banking on 175-200 innings for $11mil...Anything less is a bust. He also needs to be pitching like a 2.3 starter. If we had signed him, I would have only looking for him to be a better option than Matz and not a huge bust if he doesn't do well.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Dom or Pete at 1B,
Who's the CF,
And we finally have 1st world problems. lol

Reactions: Doctor Worm
This guy has more chances than most. Wouldve been ideal if Matz went to the pen as the other lefty and Lugo eat up innings as the 5th man.

Agree pretty much with what you and DW had to say on each point. Though, with this point, I would rather hope that Matz can be his "inconsistent" pre 2020 self and eat the innings as 5th starter until Noah is back if we do not sign someone else. Except we do need a lefty in the BP...Lugo is so freaking valuable in the pen...Not sure if he could handle full time starter roll but then, if he has the full spring to work up to it...maybe not bad. Would like to see us sign one more guy as 5th starter though but the priority right now is Hand. And cross fingers for the DH

Reactions: tico brown
I would think other agents cannot be happy with the contract DJ signed. May actually help the Mets if they are still negotiating with Springer.

If the decision is to sign Springer and let Conforto walk or vice versa I choose Conforto 10 times out of 10.
I agree with this- he is younger and we may not have seen his best years yet. Springer, while a HR signing as he is a very good CF with a bat- but, he isn't ours. If that makes sense.

I would rather have Smith/Nimmo/Conforto than Nimmo/Springer/???

Agree pretty much with what you and DW had to say on each point. Though, with this point, I would rather hope that Matz can be his "inconsistent" pre 2020 self and eat the innings as 5th starter until Noah is back if we do not sign someone else. Except we do need a lefty in the BP...Lugo is so freaking valuable in the pen...Not sure if he could handle full time starter roll but then, if he has the full spring to work up to it...maybe not bad. Would like to see us sign one more guy as 5th starter though but the priority right now is Hand. And cross fingers for the DH
I rather take my chances of stretching Lugo out than watching Matz's weekly 6 run in one inning blowout.

I agree with this- he is younger and we may not have seen his best years yet. Springer, while a HR signing as he is a very good CF with a bat- but, he isn't ours. If that makes sense.

I would rather have Smith/Nimmo/Conforto than Nimmo/Springer/???
BINGO

"Wait Till Next Year", is this year!!!
138925734_10157695848246466_7426790001505602935_n.jpg

My current take on the Met's 2021...Having learned a little more about the Luxury Tax(as we didn't have to worry about it before)- the penalties get very prohibited the number of consecutive years you go over it.
Knowing that I want to sign Conforto long time to be a Met Captain (D Wright) type Met, hoping Noah comes back to form and need to sign him, Lindor or one of his SS contemporaries that hit the market, maybe Stroman if he has a big year. The Met's will most likely have to go past the LC in 2022. So- with that said, I would much rather go into this year with the lineup we have on the field and just adding Hand and maybe a number 4/5 type picher on a friendly contract.
We are currently a team that has 1st world problems. We are not a mess with no hope like we have most years.
Current team has ZeRO, none, zilch holes in it at the plate. (ok- lacking the SB but a lot of these guys are actually fast enough to be good base runners- they don't steal but don't clog the bases)
Defense is the problem but Lindor does a LOT to help. And if DH is in play- D Smith is a above average 1B so the Inf gets better. OF will be the OF. Our single real weakness.
SP- Carrasco is actually the anti Cano deal. We all talk Lindor but this guy comes in as a very solid number 2 guy and doesn't really break the bank. Stroman- expect him to be a solid innings eater that usually keeps you in most games, Peterson- can he follow up on a great rookie year and Matz(again - 1st world problems- We have a super generational Ace, we have 2 proven number 2 guys and a 1/2 guy coming back in June, we hope he is to form. Worst case, has a 3/4 type season) and our big worry is Matz...

BP- underrated- they were quietly pretty good last year. If Lugo can be back or if MAtz comes in as an effective lefty out of the pen, they this is a very good BP- adding my final piece of Hand makes this most likely a team strength.

Adding a Springer at this point may have a snowball effect for the next few. UNLESS- Cohen just says- F-it and willing to just pay luxury taxes for the next 4-5 years. As I really want to keep Conforto, Noah and maybe re-negotiate deGrom for an extension.

Again- feels good to actually have these kinds of worries with our lovable Met's. But if we stay healthy- I just can't see a true argument that doesn't have us a one of the top contenders. We too often look at our team in a globe and forget the other teams out there have a ton of issues themselves.

As a Yankees fan I endured years of petty derisive “the Yankees buy their pennants” comments from the Mets fans. Where did those folks go?

My current take on the Met's 2021...Having learned a little more about the Luxury Tax(as we didn't have to worry about it before)- the penalties get very prohibited the number of consecutive years you go over it.
Knowing that I want to sign Conforto long time to be a Met Captain (D Wright) type Met, hoping Noah comes back to form and need to sign him, Lindor or one of his SS contemporaries that hit the market, maybe Stroman if he has a big year. The Met's will most likely have to go past the LC in 2022. So- with that said, I would much rather go into this year with the lineup we have on the field and just adding Hand and maybe a number 4/5 type picher on a friendly contract.
We are currently a team that has 1st world problems. We are not a mess with no hope like we have most years.
Current team has ZeRO, none, zilch holes in it at the plate. (ok- lacking the SB but a lot of these guys are actually fast enough to be good base runners- they don't steal but don't clog the bases)
Defense is the problem but Lindor does a LOT to help. And if DH is in play- D Smith is a above average 1B so the Inf gets better. OF will be the OF. Our single real weakness.
SP- Carrasco is actually the anti Cano deal. We all talk Lindor but this guy comes in as a very solid number 2 guy and doesn't really break the bank. Stroman- expect him to be a solid innings eater that usually keeps you in most games, Peterson- can he follow up on a great rookie year and Matz(again - 1st world problems- We have a super generational Ace, we have 2 proven number 2 guys and a 1/2 guy coming back in June, we hope he is to form. Worst case, has a 3/4 type season) and our big worry is Matz...

BP- underrated- they were quietly pretty good last year. If Lugo can be back or if MAtz comes in as an effective lefty out of the pen, they this is a very good BP- adding my final piece of Hand makes this most likely a team strength.

Adding a Springer at this point may have a snowball effect for the next few. UNLESS- Cohen just says- F-it and willing to just pay luxury taxes for the next 4-5 years. As I really want to keep Conforto, Noah and maybe re-negotiate deGrom for an extension.

Again- feels good to actually have these kinds of worries with our lovable Met's. But if we stay healthy- I just can't see a true argument that doesn't have us a one of the top contenders. We too often look at our team in a globe and forget the other teams out there have a ton of issues themselves.
To me Matz is not someone who I think can work effectively out of bullpen. Doesn’t have makeup for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT