ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

Certainly the gauntlet staring us down on the schedule will challenge us.
Stacked with Philly, Washington, Atlanta, Boston, Tampa Bay and that other NY team.

Marisnick stinks so hope he doesn't get a lot of time in CF. Nimmo should have always been primary CF with Marisnick only coming for defense late in the game if needed.

Marisnick’s only value is as a late inning defensive replacement and the guy who starts the extra inning running on 2nd base.

Here are my 60 game stats for who I think will be our primary starters.
Hitters BA/OBP/Runs/HR/RBI
Nimmo- ..267/.410/35/6/24
McNeil- .332/.395/40/7/28
Alonso- .260/.385/38/16/46
Cesp - .305/.400/30/14/42
Conforto- .275/.360/28/12/ 35
Davis- .290/.365/30/10/28
Cano- .275/.340/20/7/25
Ramos- .280/.325/18/4/17
Rosario .287/.330/30/5/20

deGrom will start 12 games go 6-2 81 innings pitched under a 2.50 era and 96 K's win CY #3

Here are my 60 game stats for who I think will be our primary starters.
Hitters BA/OBP/Runs/HR/RBI
Nimmo- ..267/.410/35/6/24
McNeil- .332/.395/40/7/28
Alonso- .260/.385/38/16/46
Cesp - .305/.400/30/14/42
Conforto- .275/.360/28/12/ 35
Davis- .290/.365/30/10/28
Cano- .275/.340/20/7/25
Ramos- .280/.325/18/4/17
Rosario .287/.330/30/5/20

deGrom will start 12 games go 6-2 81 innings pitched under a 2.50 era and 96 K's win CY #3
If that lineup produces the numbers that you predict, we are playing in October.

Wilpons own 65% of SNY.

I do believe that ultimately, Wilpons will include their SNY stake as part of the sale. However, for the reasons I mentioned, I would not be shocked if someone is willing to buy the Mets without SNY - if the price is right.

Looking back, the Cohen deal seemed too good to be true. $2.6 BILLION for what?
  • 80% (not 100%) ownership stake
  • 0% ownership stake in SNY
  • Five year phase-in before he gets to run things.
That offer was cray-cray. Especially since Cohen wasn't bidding against anybody! Eventually he came to his senses.

When the dust settles, I would not be surprised if Cohen emerges as the owner - on HIS terms. And the Wilpons will be kicking themselves for not waiving the five year phase-in. If they had, the deal may have been done. They'll never see an offer that sweet again.
NY Post reporting that the Harris/Blitzer offer will be $1.4 billion, with no SNY stake.

If that lineup produces the numbers that you predict, we are playing in October.
My feeling is that these numbers are pretty much what should be expected. There will be a couple under and a couple over. And there is no accounting for injury...None of the numbers amount to a MVP season though. Which, Yankee fans will have for half their team. All of their hitters will be .290 + and 15 HR + in 60 games

Looking at the NL and who may be their DH...Having any of these 3 as DH or even just having that many more AB's is huge advantage Mets. Cespedes/Davis/Smith

Cespedes has big year and team makes a playoff run . Then it’s a pretty good contract, all things considered. Seriously
GOOD. Will gladly take that all the way through to World Series. Then thank him on his way out the door for that big contract.

Ring or Cespedes contract was a disaster for me (2015 doesn’t count regarding contact). Last few years were a farce (especially last year).

Ring or Cespedes contract was a disaster for me (2015 doesn’t count regarding contact). Last few years were a farce (especially last year).

2016 counts and made postseason. Last 3 years bad . Buy maybe a big 2020

Mets have announced 45 of the players on their 60 man "summer training" roster. They must still announce 15 more. Barring trades or FA signings, these are the only guys who can play for the Mets this year.

No surprises so far. Cespedes and Lowrie are on the list. Tebow is not.

2016 counts and made postseason. Last 3 years bad . Buy maybe a big 2020

Sadly, 2016 doesn’t count either: ‘Cespedes signed a four-year, $110 million deal ahead of the 2017 season after a brilliant first one-and-a-half seasons in New York.’

Mets sign veterans Melky Cabrera, Gordon Beckham, and Hunter Strickland. Their camp roster is now at 50.

Mets had one player on the 40 man roster test positive for COVID-19, also multiple minor leaguers.

MLB has pre-approved seven prospective purchasers of the Mets franchise. Three are known: ARod/JLo, the Devils/Sixers owners, and a pair of brothers worth about $14 billion. Plus four undisclosed groups.

Ah yes, Bobby Bonilla Day. That day every year when Met fans celebrate one of the BEST baseball decisions the Wilpons ever made. (I said BASEBALL decisions. Financially, not so much.)

First, the backstory. At the end of the 1999 season, it was clear that Bobby Bonilla had worn out his welcome with the Mets. (Who can forget Mets/Braves Game 6, both teams struggling mightily in extra innings, and Bonilla is playing cards in the clubhouse with Ricky Henderson?) Problem was, Mets still owed Bonilla one year's salary at about $6M. The parties agreed to pay it off in the form of a deferred annuity which would commence in 2011 and run through 2035. This was not unusual. Bret Saberhagen is still collecting under a similar agreement.

So why was it such a good baseball decision?
  • With the immediate savings, the Wilpons created budget room to acquire Mike Hampton, who helped the Mets get to the World Series.
  • When Hampton left as a free agent at season end, the Mets used the compensatory draft pick to select David Wright.
The interest rate used in determining the stream of future payments was 8%. Back then, that rate was not crazy. The assumption was that the endless stream of Madoff money would more than cover these payments. Oh well.

Ah yes, Bobby Bonilla Day. That day every year when Met fans celebrate one of the BEST baseball decisions the Wilpons ever made. (I said BASEBALL decisions. Financially, not so much.)

First, the backstory. At the end of the 1999 season, it was clear that Bobby Bonilla had worn out his welcome with the Mets. (Who can forget Mets/Braves Game 6, both teams struggling mightily in extra innings, and Bonilla is playing cards in the clubhouse with Ricky Henderson?) Problem was, Mets still owed Bonilla one year's salary at about $6M. The parties agreed to pay it off in the form of a deferred annuity which would commence in 2011 and run through 2035. This was not unusual. Bret Saberhagen is still collecting under a similar agreement.

So why was it such a good baseball decision?
  • With the immediate savings, the Wilpons created budget room to acquire Mike Hampton, who helped the Mets get to the World Series.
  • When Hampton left as a free agent at season end, the Mets used the compensatory draft pick to select David Wright.
The interest rate used in determining the stream of future payments was 8%. Back then, that rate was not crazy. The assumption was that the endless stream of Madoff money would more than cover these payments. Oh well.

I am sure you can find 20 or more similar type of contracts throughout the league.

Mets continue to stockpile veteran depth. They sign 35 year old righty reliever Jared Hughes, a seven year vet of five teams. As recently as 2018 he was really good, appearing in 72 games with Cincinnati with a 1.94 ERA. Last year, not so much. Was cut by Houston in Spring Training, way back in the Before Times. At worst, he's an alternative to the likes of Tyler Bashlor, Paul Sewald, and Jacob Rhame.

Camp roster now stands at 51, with nine vacancies. I hope they use at least some of these on their top young prospects so they don't just waste the whole year.

Last edited:
MLB has pre-approved seven prospective purchasers of the Mets franchise. Three are known: ARod/JLo, the Devils/Sixers owners, and a pair of brothers worth about $14 billion. Plus four undisclosed groups.
Metsmerized.com reporting that Cohen plans to get back into the bidding as well. Not surprised.

First round of bids to buy the Mets deemed weak, under $2B.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT