ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

It's good without SNY. What do the Wilpons expect? They ran the franchise into the ground running it as a small market team while Tampa and Minnesota has had better success with a fraction of the Mets budget.

If Cohen buys the team, I’d like a name change to the NY Cohens.

If Paul Brown can have a nfl franchise named after him so can Steve Cohen.

For those who can't wait until 7/24, Mets and Yanks will face one another in an exhibition subway series on 7/18 (@Citi) and 7/19 (@YS).

Last edited:
Next year the Mets will host the Yankees on September 11, for the 20th anniversary of 911.
Dont take this personal as "Anniversary" is how most are saying it but my preference is "Remembrance" It feel it should be the official term used. Just my thoughts though. Anniversary tends to make me think of something good.

Dont take this personal as "Anniversary" is how most are saying it but my preference is "Remembrance" It feel it should be the official term used. Just my thoughts though. Anniversary tends to make me think of something good.

Yeah was thinking the same but that’s the term used when I read about it so just used it, but agree.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
The Jacob Rhame era has sadly come to an end. He was waived and claimed by LA Angels. Ryley Gilliam, a bullpen prospect, has been added to the camp roster which remains at 51.

The Jacob Rhame era has sadly come to an end. He was waived and claimed by LA Angels. Ryley Gilliam, a bullpen prospect, has been added to the camp roster which remains at 51.
More like the Jacob Rhame "Error".....man was he awful......

Cohen reportedly offering $2M for the team and another $2M for SNY. The other bids are coming in at about $1.7M.

Supposedly Wilpons would prefer to sell to the ARod/JLo group. Cohen will need to overbid to get the team, and appears to be willing to do so.

And he is happy to do so---saved himself about 500 million and gets to toss sonny boy out on his ass.

Cohen reportedly offering $2B for the team and another $2B for SNY. The other bids are coming in at about $1.7B.

Supposedly Wilpons would prefer to sell to the ARod/JLo group. Cohen will need to overbid to get the team, and appears to be willing to do so.
Does it seem like the Wilpons are control freaks? They NEED money in the worse way and Cohen can offer more, but they rather sell to ARod/JLo just to have some sense of control. SNY must make them more money than even their real estate investments. :cry: I don't see ARod/JLo offering more to gain control of SNY.

Does it seem like the Wilpons are control freaks? They NEED money in the worse way and Cohen can offer more, but they rather sell to ARod/JLo just to have some sense of control. SNY must make them more money than even their real estate investments. :cry: I don't see ARod/JLo offering more to gain control of SNY.
Not sure I'd go that far. I think that other things equal, the Wilpons would much prefer to sell to the ALo group for several reasons, not the least of which is that the Wilpons probably like them a whole lot more than Cohen. The Wilpons will require that Cohen pay a premium over their other offers, but still a lot less that his prior offer (assuming it was ever legitimate). Cohen will pay that premium and the Wilpons will take it. Money talks, the rest of us walk.

Not sure I'd go that far. I think that other things equal, the Wilpons would much prefer to sell to the ALo group for several reasons, not the least of which is that the Wilpons probably like them a whole lot more than Cohen. The Wilpons will require that Cohen pay a premium over their other offers, but still a lot less that his prior offer (assuming it was ever legitimate). Cohen will pay that premium and the Wilpons will take it. Money talks, the rest of us walk.
How I see it based on what you just said, seems to indicate the Wilpons are a little hurt from the first deal with Cohen falling apart. As much as the Wilpons want to sell the team to ARod/JLo, their debt problem is too great to pass up the offer from Cohen.

Even when the clowns sell, they will screw us by not selling to Cohen. Cohen will offer more and out of spite they ll work out some type of arrangement with ARod whereby doofus Jeff will somehow still have some transitional control. Even in despair, these clowns cannot do what is right for this franchise.

Cohen really is the best option for the fans. He has deep pockets and does not require a consortium of investors. He may also be willing to spend money up front on free agents. I worry about the ALo thing because if it is true the Mets are losing 90 million a year, they might go the Jeter route and try selling off pieces to rebuild.

Cohen really is the best option for the fans. He has deep pockets and does not require a consortium of investors. He may also be willing to spend money up front on free agents. I worry about the ALo thing because if it is true the Mets are losing 90 million a year, they might go the Jeter route and try selling off pieces to rebuild.
The report I saw said $60M per year. I'm sure that is without SNY. After all it is local TV money that makes a big market franchise profitable. Without it, yes it is a money loser. But your point is well taken. ALo et al can't drop $60M a year (at least until the current SNY contract expires) and not feel it. Cohen can.

The report I saw said $60M per year. I'm sure that is without SNY. After all it is local TV money that makes a big market franchise profitable. Without it, yes it is a money loser. But your point is well taken. ALo et al can't drop $60M a year (at least until the current SNY contract expires) and not feel it. Cohen can.
Yes, the number was based on baseball operations only. Who knows if it is true, after all this is the Wilpons we are talking about. I read somewhere that Alo have a combined net worth of 750 Million. Cohen 13 Billion. His art collection is probably worth more than their combined net worth. Alo will have partners who may not be keen on losing money. Cohen will only have to answer to himself. Part of me wonders if Arod is only doing this because Jeter did it. He always seemed like he was competing with Jeter so who knows. I just that I personally do not want a new owner who is coming in like Jeter to slash expenses and perform a 7-10 year rebuild. Been through the Seaver trade once. That is enough for any fan.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I wonder how different this franchise would have been if Doubleday never sold his half to the Wilpons.

Reactions: FrankZ
The Mets don't legitimately lose money. They get less from SNY than they should because it makes more sense from a revenue sharing standpoint to keep the money in SNY than in the Mets.

Interesting article in the Athletic today (paywall) about why sports franchise valuations are so high. One reason is the tax code. The buyer of a franchise can amortize the full payment price over 15 years. It's as though the franchise value would be down to zero after 15 years, when in all likelihood it would have appreciated several times over.

So if Cohen buys the Mets for $2B, for tax purposes he can knock off $133M from his business income for the next 15 years. (Assuming that his other business ventures are profitable, which I assume they are.) Sweet. That would offset most if not all of any operating losses from running the Mets.

If a new owner can come in and run the Mets well, they will be getting a good deal. Not only is it a baseball franchise in NY, but it is one that for many years, despite not winning regularly, drew better than did the Yankees. Check it out. The Mets were the first NY team to have 1 million, then 2 million, and then 3 million in attendance. Then the Wilpons next-level incompetence, mixed with jerkiness (mostly the son) set in, and the Yankees have well surpassed them in attendance (first to 4 millon), viewership and, frankly, everything else. But if someone comes in and runs the Mets well, that owner will do well and may very will learn that NY remains a national league town (though that ship may have sailed). I bet that Cohen understands some of these things.

Last edited:
Will those short-term pitching deals Brodie signed with Wacha and Porcello for depth turn out to be brilliant? I was thinking more about that after Noah went out for the year. Losing DeGrom for any amount of time would be huge under any circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT