ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

C'mon. This is worse than your hair-brained diet pontificating.
Cano has batted .324 for the year. That's his best BA since 2006. But you want to throw a wet blanket on 20 days of September? He batted .360 in July and .381 in August. That's more than 4 good weeks.
Even over the last 30 days, a slumping per tk, Cano, has hit 297 with 5 HR
So obviously, the previous 30 days he was on a mister tear but if you were to take his “bad” 30 days, it would be pretty much a 300 season with 20-25 HR...
There is no possible way to even try to find a knock on Cano hitting this year.

So obviously, the previous 30 days he was on a mister tear but if you were to take his “bad” 30 days, it would be pretty much a 300 season with 20-25 HR...
Except if you are one of the 3 Amigos.

BVW disaster.

Anthony DiComo
@AnthonyDiComo
Jake Marisnick's season is now over. He can become a free agent following a year that saw him play in 16 games.

To acquire Marisnick, the Mets gave up two pitching prospects, including Blake Taylor, who has a 2.41 ERA for the Astros (and five years of team control remaining).

Diaz era right now is 1.57. But having worse year than Betances that someone wrote. Can't make it up.

Time for the Hot Stove winter meetings thread to be created

☠ R.I.P. LGM2020
Phillies lost
Brewers lost
Giants losing.

Mets go 6-0, LGM
tenor.gif

Last edited:
BVW disaster.

Anthony DiComo
@AnthonyDiComo
Jake Marisnick's season is now over. He can become a free agent following a year that saw him play in 16 games.

To acquire Marisnick, the Mets gave up two pitching prospects, including Blake Taylor, who has a 2.41 ERA for the Astros (and five years of team control remaining).

BYE BVW

Reactions: redking and shields
While it would be bad form to establish a next season thread while it's still this season, it's probably time to at least transition. To that end, I offer the following analysis of the Mets current 47 man roster (their actual 40 man, plus 7 on long term IL or COVID).

1) PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT - 3

Cano
deGrom
Familia

COMMENT - Yep, only three players under contract - but those three take up a good chunk of payroll. Keep in mind that deGrom has an opt-out after 2022. That's two years. I wonder if Cohen will try to make it go away. Everybody's got a price for the 15 billion dollar man.

2) FREE AGENTS - 16

Betances (player option for $6M, with $3M buyout)
Brach (player option for $1.25M)
Cespedes
Chirinos (club option with $1M buyout)
Frazier (club option with $1.5M buyout)
Hughes
Lowrie
Marisnick
Nunez
Porcello
Ramirez
Ramos (club option with $1.5M buyout)
Rivera
Stroman
Wacha
Wilson

COMMENT - First question: does Stroman get a qualifying offer? My guess is yes, and he may just take it. He of course is the only one on this list for whom that is even a consideration.

They may try to re-sign Marisnick and maybe a couple of pitchers, although I don't know who. Betances and Brach have player options so we may see them again. But most of the players on this list will surely be gone.

3) ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE - 11

Castro
Conforto
Diaz
Gsellman
Heredia
Lugo
Matz
Nimmo
Rosario
Shreve
Syndergaard

COMMENT: The major question seems to be can we extend Conforto. But there are other questions. Most notably - do you tender Syndergaard, or cut him loose? He is a free agent in 2022, and there's no guarantee he'll be healthy enough to play in 2021. I guess you have to tender him. There are a few other non-tender candidates on this list as well.

4) WELL-PAID SLAVES (Curt Flood Terminology) - 17

Alonso
Davis
Gimenez
Guillorme
Jurado
Kilome
Mazeika
McNeil
Nido
Oswalt
Peterson
Sanchez
Sewald
Smith, Dom
Smith, Drew
Szapucki
Zamora

COMMENT - Mets do have a pretty good core of position players who are not yet arb eligible, and are thus controllable for a few years. Pitchers, not so much. Some of these guys may have already had their 15 minutes.

Thanks for staying with this - comments appreciated!

Only the usual suspects would mock Cano this year. Wouldve been interesting a full season would turned out for Cano.

Diaz era right now is 1.57. But having worse year than Betances that someone wrote. Can't make it up.
While it would be bad form to establish a next season thread while it's still this season, it's probably time to at least transition. To that end, I offer the following analysis of the Mets current 47 man roster (their actual 40 man, plus 7 on long term IL or COVID).

Cano
deGrom
Familia

COMMENT - Yep, only three players under contract - but those three take up a good chunk of payroll. Keep in mind that deGrom has an opt-out after 2022. That's two years. I wonder if Cohen will try to make it go away. Everybody's got a price for the 15 billion dollar man.

2) FREE AGENTS - 16

Cespedes
Hughes
Lowrie
Marisnick
Nunez
Porcello
Ramirez
Rivera
Stroman
Wacha
Wilson

COMMENT - First question: does Stroman get a qualifying offer? My guess is yes, and he may just take it. He of course is the only one on this list for whom that is even a consideration.

They may try to re-sign Marisnick and maybe a couple of pitchers, although I don't know who. Betances and Brach have player options so we may see them again. But most of the players on this list will surely be gone.

Castro
Conforto
Diaz
Gsellman
Heredia
Lugo
Matz
Nimmo
Rosario
Shreve
Syndergaard

COMMENT: The major question seems to be can we extend Conforto. But there are other questions. Most notably - do you tender Syndergaard, or cut him loose? He is a free agent in 2022, and there's no guarantee he'll be healthy enough to play in 2021. I guess you have to tender him. There are a few other non-tender candidates on this list as well.

Alonso
Davis
Gimenez
Guillorme
Jurado
Kilome
Mazeika
McNeil
Nido
Oswalt
Peterson
Sanchez
Sewald
Smith, Dom
Smith, Drew
Szapucki
Zamora

COMMENT - Mets do have a pretty good core of position players who are not yet arb eligible, and are thus controllable for a few years. Pitchers, not so much. Some of these guys may have already had their 15 minutes.

want nothing to do with Stroman. He showed who he is..all talk with nothing to back it up. Then he bailed on the team after BS’ing everyone. He’s a cancer like Cespedes.

BVW disaster.

Anthony DiComo
@AnthonyDiComo

This is why I don't want BVW making personnel decisions going forward.

Cano
deGrom
Familia

2) FREE AGENTS - 16

Cespedes
Hughes
Lowrie
Marisnick
Nunez
Porcello
Ramirez
Rivera
Stroman
Wacha
Wilson

Castro
Conforto
Diaz
Gsellman
Heredia
Lugo
Matz
Nimmo
Rosario
Shreve
Syndergaard

Alonso
Davis
Gimenez
Guillorme
Jurado
Kilome
Mazeika
McNeil
Nido
Oswalt
Peterson
Sanchez
Sewald
Smith, Dom
Smith, Drew
Szapucki
Zamora

Great putting this together. If nothing else, it is a great "go-to" for a Met's fan.

My thoughts:
Under contract:
deGrom- do anything possible to have him through his age of 37 or 38. Very little innings on his arm for his age. And if nothing else, he is ours, don't pull a Seaver
Cano- it is what it is- hope the DH sticks because that makes him a major player on our team
Familia - ehhh we just paid way too much. If he was making 5 instead of 10, I would be ok with him

FA's:
Wilson - I would consider him
Marsinak grew on me but I would'nt pay him much and keep him as a bench player
No F-ing way on Stroman. I was ok with him until he pulled his BS.
Depending on how things fly with SP'ing would consider a real Team friendly offer to Porcello ony as a 5th starter.

Arb Ell:
You sign Noah now- will never have a better team friendly time to do so. Is it a gamble? yes, but do it. He may just sign for a Nola type contract. If he comes back from TJ and even has a handful of "power" starts, he will get big $$$ from someone
Conforto- have to go big and do it now. If he continues at his pace, he will be the top FA when he becomes available.
Nimmo- may be able to have him do it another year to prove he can go 162 games
Lugo- but will have to give him a SP salary and give him a promised shot in rotation. If you don't do that- he is 100% gone to the team that makes him a starter.

Others- we have time but do you start thinking about making McNeil a lifer? He may be on a HOF path

From the Managing Editor and co-host of Forbes SportsMoney on YES Network and Assistant Managing Editor at Forbes Media.

Reactions: Greg2020
Whether we consider Cano's mini-season spurt of productitivy, after yet another injury, to be an indicator that his 38, 39 and 40 year old seasons will be more like this year than last year's abomination doesn't matter so much with Cohen in charge. Unlike the Wilpons, he can absorb BVW's mistake and, you know, deal with a $23 mm/year Cano as a part-time DH in 2022 and 2023. I'm just glad to read that he's actually looking at professional front office people with successful pasts as the potential replacement to the mess that we have now.

Believe it or not, ESPN still gives us a 3.5% chance to make the playoffs. LGM! The fat lady has not yet bombed Pearl Harbor!

Tonight's interesting lineup (as in we live in interesting times):

McNeil RF
Davis DH
Smith LF
Frazier 3B
Cano 2B
Alonso 1B
Rosario SS
Heredia CF
Chirinos C
-------------
Lugo P

Great putting this together. If nothing else, it is a great "go-to" for a Met's fan.

My thoughts:
Under contract:
deGrom- do anything possible to have him through his age of 37 or 38. Very little innings on his arm for his age. And if nothing else, he is ours, don't pull a Seaver
Cano- it is what it is- hope the DH sticks because that makes him a major player on our team
Familia - ehhh we just paid way too much. If he was making 5 instead of 10, I would be ok with him

FA's:
Wilson - I would consider him
Marsinak grew on me but I would'nt pay him much and keep him as a bench player
No F-ing way on Stroman. I was ok with him until he pulled his BS.
Depending on how things fly with SP'ing would consider a real Team friendly offer to Porcello ony as a 5th starter.

Arb Ell:
You sign Noah now- will never have a better team friendly time to do so. Is it a gamble? yes, but do it. He may just sign for a Nola type contract. If he comes back from TJ and even has a handful of "power" starts, he will get big $$$ from someone
Conforto- have to go big and do it now. If he continues at his pace, he will be the top FA when he becomes available.
Nimmo- may be able to have him do it another year to prove he can go 162 games
Lugo- but will have to give him a SP salary and give him a promised shot in rotation. If you don't do that- he is 100% gone to the team that makes him a starter.

Others- we have time but do you start thinking about making McNeil a lifer? He may be on a HOF path

Nice analysis. However, way too early to speculate on McNeil as a HOFamer but he’s already 28 and got a very late start in the majors. Mets didn’t believe in him and kept him in the minors too long.

Nice analysis. However, way too early to speculate on McNeil as a HOFamer but he’s already 28 and got a very late start in the majors. Mets didn’t believe in him and kept him in the minors too long.
Good point and having this this in the middle of it will cost as well. So- maybe doesn’t make HOF but could give us 7-10 more HOF type years. Even if only 5-6 more HOF type years, I’ll take it.

McNeil, like several Mets, got a raw deal. It seemed like the Mets delayed players on purpose to keep from starting their service time. The cheap Mets didn't want some of these guys reaching free agency during their prime (i.e. Wheeler) and be forced pass because you can't afford the player. Not a good look for piss poor organization telling the fans you're trying to win when you actually trying to save money.

Good point and having this this in the middle of it will cost as well. So- maybe doesn’t make HOF but could give us 7-10 more HOF type years. Even if only 5-6 more HOF type years, I’ll take it.
McNeil, Smith, and Alonso are all in the same contractual position. One more year of involuntary servitude and three years of arbitration before free agency. So you've got each of them locked up for the next four. How much further can you go? That depends on how much upside they're willing to give up, in exchange for security.

Want to extend McNeil? Offer him six years at $90 million (scaling upwards) and ask for two club option years in back of that. All he can do is say no...

McNeil, like several Mets, got a raw deal. It seemed like the Mets delayed players on purpose to keep from starting their service time. The cheap Mets didn't want some of these guys reaching free agency during their prime (i.e. Wheeler) and be forced pass because you can't afford the player. Not a good look for piss poor organization telling the fans you're trying to win when you actually trying to save money.
You are incorrect on this one.

McNeil's development was just fine. He came out of college in June 2013 at age 21. He was a 10th round pick, so he wasn't fast tracked like say Conforto. He spent 2013 in rookie ball, 2014 in Low A to High A, and 2015 in High A to AA. So he made AA at age 23, which is right on pace for a college player.

But then came the injuries. He only played in 3 games in 2016, and 48 in 2017. In his short time in 2017 he earned a promotion to AAA, but only hit .254 there. So naturally he was ticketed to start 2018 in AAA where he tore it up, and was promoted to the bigs in August at Age 26.

A shame about the injuries, but apart from that, nothing wrong with his progression.

You are incorrect on this one.

McNeil's development was just fine. He came out of college in June 2013 at age 21. He was a 10th round pick, so he wasn't fast tracked like say Conforto. He spent 2013 in rookie ball, 2014 in Low A to High A, and 2015 in High A to AA. So he made AA at age 23, which is right on pace for a college player.

But then came the injuries. He only played in 3 games in 2016, and 48 in 2017. In his short time in 2017 he earned a promotion to AAA, but only hit .254 there. So naturally he was ticketed to start 2018 in AAA where he tore it up, and was promoted to the bigs in August at Age 26.

A shame about the injuries, but apart from that, nothing wrong with his progression.
I may be wrong on McNeil, but not in most cases. At the end of the day the Mets operate like a small market team counting every penny even the ones in the future. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Happy for Alonso. He has had a tough year. David Wright was on the broadcast and he said about Alonso: "He set the bar way to high last year."
The bar was was too high but he may have had only a single week last year where he looked "lost"...this year, he has had that lost or at the very least, unsure, of himself way too much.
The good news...outside of the horrific BA, his bad year would have still amounted to 35+ HR and 90+ RBI

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT