ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

Instead of trying to look like George Atlas, "Thor" should have been working on flexibility and light weights. He's another player in NEw York that will NEVER reach his full potential because of being injury prone.

Reactions: Kbee3
Instead of trying to look like George Atlas, "Thor" should have been working on flexibility and light weights. He's another player in NEw York that will NEVER reach his full potential because of being injury prone.
What flamethrower over the last decade has not thrown out their arm? Among starters can probably count on 1 hand. I don’t think it’s his workout. These guys just throw so much harder then in the past. There ligaments can’t take it.m
It’s unnatural to throw this hard. They have built their bodies too strong for their own good.

Only the Mets would have a pitcher tear an elbow in a season that doesnt exist. Maybe this will finally make him move to the bullpen to become the closer instead of him throwing 100 mph for 7-8 innings.
Don't most guys come back from TJ throwing even harder than they did before?

The Mets have played a 23 inning,a 24 inning,and a 25 inning game in their history,plus being on the losing end of the first perfect game in the NL in about 80 years to Jim Bunning in 1964.Other than losing all 4 of these games,what else did these games have in common?

The Mets have played a 23 inning,a 24 inning,and a 25 inning game in their history,plus being on the losing end of the first perfect game in the NL in about 80 years to Jim Bunning in 1964.Other than losing all 4 of these games,what else did these games have in common?
Ed Sudol was the home plate umpire for all of them. Very grueling. In a 20+ inning game, the umpires don't get to sit down every half inning.

And now a question for you (or anyone who wants it). A total of 15 former Met players are now in the Hall of Fame. Without looking it up, how many can you name?

A quick 12:Spahn,Berra,Ashburn,Mays,Snider,Seaver,Carter,Piazza,Henderson,Murray...............Martinez,Glavine.
These 12 are correct, and BigEastPhil has correctly added Nolan Ryan. So there are two more. The last two are tough, although you guys got some very tough ones! I'll leave this open for a little while and then give hints.

This is Met PLAYERS who made the HOF. Casey Stengel doesn't count. Nor does a member of his original coaching staff, Rogers Hornsby.

These 12 are correct, and BigEastPhil has correctly added Nolan Ryan. So there are two more. The last two are tough, although you guys got some very tough ones! I'll leave this open for a little while and then give hints.

This is Met PLAYERS who made the HOF. Casey Stengel doesn't count. Nor does a member of his original coaching staff, Rogers Hornsby.

Alomar

Reactions: Doctor Worm

Alomar Torre

How could I miss Nolan Ryan?He gave up his first hit in 1966 to Torre.I wasn't sure that Alomar was in.

Ed Sudol was the home plate umpire for all of them. Very grueling. In a 20+ inning game, the umpires don't get to sit down every half inning.

And now a question for you (or anyone who wants it). A total of 15 former Met players are now in the Hall of Fame. Without looking it up, how many can you name?
I brought up Sudol because I lived in the same apartment building as did his relatives in the early 60's.

Just what I needed.

giphy.webp

Which 3 Mets played with Satchel Paige and with Tom Seaver?
The answer you are looking for is Tommie Reynolds, Larry Stahl, and Jack Aker. Those were the three future Mets who appeared in the September 25, 1965 game between the Kansas City A's and the Cleveland Indians. As a publicity stunt, KC had signed 59 year old Satchel Paige to pitch in that game. Which he did, quite effectively, three scoreless innings!

However, I think there are multiple answers to that question, depending on your definition:
  • One could argue that of the three, technically only Reynolds "played with" Paige, as he was the only one actually on the field with Paige. The other two entered the game after Paige had exited.
  • Or under a more expansive definition, you could include future Mets Ed Charles and Skip Lockwood, who were on the active roster and in the dugout with Paige, but did not play in the game. Lockwood, a future Met closer, was at the time an 18 year old infielder.
  • And do opposing players count? Future Met Jim Gosger batted against Paige in that game, does that count as "playing with" him?
Sometimes you get more than you bargained for!

And while we're at it, a related trivia question: that 1965 A's team included two future HOFers - Paige, and a teenager 40 years his junior. Who was he?

Catfish Hunter.
My father bet against him that year in the first game of a double header at Yankee Stadium when he beat the Yankees.Fortunately,my father recouped his losses by betting big on the Bombers in Game 2.

Anthony DiComo of mlb.com posed an interesting question - name the Top 5 shortstops in Met history. Once you get past two or maybe three, you'll find yourself really reaching! Shortstop has really been a barren position in Met history.
https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-all-time-best-shortstops
I would have went with
Reyes
Buddy- my favorite player as I was growing up
Rosario - easy number 2 if he continues to get better
Elster
Ordonez

Has anyone seen an updated injury report on Conforto?

Any update on [Michael] Conforto’s oblique? — @PatCollins63

Conforto is taking regular batting practice and team officials seem encouraged by his workouts, based on what I have heard in recent days. It’s probable that Conforto, six weeks removed from straining his right oblique, would have already returned to the lineup (or been close to it) if the season had started as scheduled. So barring any kind of setback, the Mets are counting on Conforto at full strength should spring training resume.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/mets-mailbag-where-michael-conforto-yoenis-cespedes-recoveries-stand/

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Looks like SNY will be showing one game from the 1969 World Series each night this week, Monday through Friday

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT