ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

BVW does not deserve an opportunity to be the GM under Cohen. It's criminal what he has done to the current pitching staff and minor leagues. He's signed god-awful retreads, hold onto the wrong pitchers (Wheeler walks, Matz stays), and trade away pitching depth in the minors. I hope the Wilpons (& Sterlings) burn in H E double hockey sticks. 🤬

Reactions: cicero grimes
I don't feel bad for any pro player. You're well paid compared to the average person and treated with kid gloves. With that said, I would walk Matz to the locker room and tell him to turn in his uniform. You've been released.

Reactions: tico brown
If Cohen takes over in November, he might not have time to hire a new GM and have that GM put his team together before the winter meetings and of season get going.

I don't feel bad for any pro player. You're well paid compared to the average person and treated with kid gloves. With that said, I would walk Matz to the locker room and tell him to turn in his uniform. You've been released.
"We've got 'em from the babies up. As soon as the kid can talk, he's taught to say Matzie, Matzie. Not Papa. Not Mama. Matzie, Matzie, Matzie."
- Casey Stengel (sort of)

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Matz better never take the rubber for us again. I remember when he broke into the league, he looked like he was going to be another Tom Glavine.

Reactions: tico brown
Matz better never take the rubber for us again. I remember when he broke into the league, he looked like he was going to be another Tom Glavine.
Great comparison. F*** Tom Glavine since he gave up 7 runs in the first to Florida in a game they had to win.

I think the Matz “experiment” should be put to bed. He’s toast. Don’t know what happened to him but his only hope is to get out of the Mets organization where a real pitching coach can attempt to fix him.

Reactions: shields
Rojas has presided over more anniliations than any manager I can remember - and after 50 games

Matz is arbitration eligible for a final time next year. His base salary (pre- COVID adjustment) this year is $5M. Will be interesting to see if they make him a tender offer. I am guessing yes. It's only money, and Cohen has it in abundance.

Matz is arbitration eligible for a final time next year. His base salary (pre- COVID adjustment) this year is $5M. Will be interesting to see if they make him a tender offer. I am guessing yes. It's only money, and Cohen has it in abundance.

I disagree. He will be non tendered. He is awful so it's still a waste of money.

So many seem to be ever ready to just get rid of guys. That isn't the Mets' problem. The Mets' problem is not having good players and not having them throughout the system. There's a reason that Matz pitched for the Mets last night and not someone else, and it's not the generous hearts of the manager and front office. It's because they don't have anyone else who is good. Other teams, like say the Braves, have good players. They have good hitting AND pitching AND defense, and they seem to have it throughout the system. So, sure, the Braves get rid of guys. Because the Braves have built a system with good options to replace the guys who aren't performing and they rid of, or that allows them to trade for good options to replace the guys that they want to get rid of.

With the Mets, it's deck chairs, titanic.

So many seem to be ever ready to just get rid of guys. That isn't the Mets' problem. The Mets' problem is not having good players and not having them throughout the system. There's a reason that Matz pitched from the Mets last night and not someone else, and it's not the generous hearts of the manager and front office. It's because they don't have anyone else who is good. Other teams, like say the Braves, have good players. They have good hitting AND pitching AND defense, and they seem to have it throughout the system. So, sure, the Braves get rid of guys. Because the Braves have built a system with good options to replace the guys that the get rid of, or that allows them to trade for good options to replace them.

With the Mets, it's deck chairs, titanic.
You do realize most of us are angry. Rational decisions are difficult when the organization misses golden opportunities to sign good players or give their fans the finger by going REAL CHEAP. We know you can't just dumb guys left and right, but it feels good to say it.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Mets, in need of a fresh arm, bring up Kilome and send down Guillorme.

Send him back

Well I hope you're happy because you got your wish. Kilome was sent down today (Oswalt up) and asked me why. I told him it was all your fault.

But seriously folks... most teams keep a long reliever for the unexpected contingency that the starter has to exit early. Mets need a fresh long reliever every day. No bueno.

Mets have not given up. Neither are we. Need to go 7-1. Porcello today, who actually has been very consistent, but not in a good way.

Same lineup as yesterday except for C and P. Mets have now landed on a set lineup, which they can use for another week.

Reactions: Greg2020
Mets have not given up. Neither are we. Need to go 7-1. Porcello today, who actually has been very consistent, but not in a good way.

Same lineup as yesterday except for C and P. Mets have now landed on a set lineup, which they can use for another week.
So the Mets have to go 7-0 after today, eh?

In case anyone cares, Mets announced the PTBNL in the Castro/Smith/PTBNL deal. Victor Gonzalez, infielder. 17 year old lottery ticket. Not in Top 30 list.

In case anyone cares, Mets announced the PTBNL in the Castro/Smith/PTBNL deal. Victor Gonzalez, infielder. 17 year old lottery ticket. Not in Top 30 list.
On the PBTNL front, Mets announced that Stephen Villines is the PBTNL in the Ariel Jurado deal. Villines is a 25 year old AAA righty reliever. Fringe (non top 30) prospect who was not part of the 60 man player pool.

Interesting nugget from Yahoo Sports - Cohen is expected to bring back Sandy Alderson in an unspecified capacity - NOT General Manager. My guess is as a special advisor reporting directly to Cohen. It's quite possible that in the new regime, he will be Cohen's key guy, even more so than the GM.

Interesting nugget from Yahoo Sports - Cohen is expected to bring back Sandy Alderson in an unspecified capacity - NOT General Manager. My guess is as a special advisor reporting directly to Cohen. It's quite possible that in the new regime, he will be Cohen's key guy, even more so than the GM.

is that good or bad.

is that good or bad.
It suggests to me that Cohen is willing to continue to focus on his very lucrative day job, while leaving to the experts to tend to his very expensive hobby. In other words, he has no intention of being Jeff Wilpon part deux. Which is unquestionably good.

If this goes down, I'd look forward to seeing what Alderson could do with an honest to goodness big market budget.

That said, Alderson's health is sadly a question mark. His role may need to be limited.

I can see where Cohen retains Brodie for now, and Brodie does all the heavy lifting. But Sandy sets the overall strategy, and says yea or nay on all major decisions.

It's probably a zero to longshot, but if the Mets were to make a run, would the Mets have to surpass all three of the Reds, Brewers and Giants to be the eighth NL team? For example, going 6-1, with the other three all going 1-5 would get it done, correct?
What if there is a tie for the 8th team?

It's probably a zero to longshot, but if the Mets were to make a run, would the Mets have to surpass all three of the Reds, Brewers and Giants to be the eighth NL team? For example, going 6-1, with the other three all going 1-5 would get it done, correct?
What if there is a tie for the 8th team?
Will never happen so why bother as long as Matz, Porcello, and Wacha are still around?

Will never happen so why bother as long as Matz, Porcello, and Wacha are still around?
Thanks, but in the unlikely event it does happen, the Mets would be in, correct?
And what happens if there is a tie?
And Porcello pitched a great game today. Too bad the Mets offense went into the deGrom mode and that bullpen collapsed.

ADVERTISEMENT