ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

If the Mets finish 6-1, they would finish the season at .500, 30-30. If that is the eighth best record in the NL, or better, then the Mets make the playoffs. Not likely.

If there is a simple two team tie for the last spot, then they have a one game play-in. Same as in a normal season. But if it is a mutiple-team tie, then I don't know what they do.

In theory, there could still be a six team tie for the last two spots.

And if you're really into chaos theory: the Cardinals, who missed a ton of games due to COVID, will have only played 58 games at season end. The remaining two games, with the Tigers, will only be played if necessary in a double-header on the Monday after next. The outcome of those games, if played, could result in ties that will need to be broken.

FWIW, ESPN still gives the Mets a 7% chance to make the playoffs. Seems impossible that it's that high.

Porcello and Wacha were the cheaper alternative to Wheeler that was a huge risk. And both blew up in BVWs face.

Matz should be pitching in the Mexican League.

Porcello and Wacha were the cheaper alternative to Wheeler that was a huge risk. And both blew up in BVWs face.

Matz should be pitching in the Mexican League.
Can't defend BVW...I still think that at the time, Phil's over paid for Wheeler but...BVW never should have let it get to FA anyway. Same with Noah or Conforto.
As of this year, maybe Wheeler is worth what they paid him, he has had a great year.
Thinking Porcello or Wacha could replace him, not sure if that was the intent as BVS thought he had Noah and Stroman going into the season. Quite honestly, if we had Jake, Noah, Stroman, Peterson and Pocello as our starting 5, I would be ok with that. But BVW too a risk and tried to go the cheap route. And we are where we are.

Matz, he will go down as a great unknown. Guy is a lefty with great stuff. Maybe it is NY that is f-ing him up

Can't defend BVW...I still think that at the time, Phil's over paid for Wheeler but...BVW never should have let it get to FA anyway. Same with Noah or Conforto.
As of this year, maybe Wheeler is worth what they paid him, he has had a great year.
Thinking Porcello or Wacha could replace him, not sure if that was the intent as BVS thought he had Noah and Stroman going into the season. Quite honestly, if we had Jake, Noah, Stroman, Peterson and Pocello as our starting 5, I would be ok with that. But BVW too a risk and tried to go the cheap route. And we are where we are.

Matz, he will go down as a great unknown. Guy is a lefty with great stuff. Maybe it is NY that is f-ing him up
Looking at the last few years for Wacha and Porcello, you knew neither would replace Wheeler. BVW knew this, but still sold the fans a false bill of goods. Both peaked years ago and have struggled to perform half as well as their best year. I think Wheeler had one foot out the door after the Mets failed to engage his agent in serious talks before the start of last season. I believe had Wheeler remained with the Mets, Stroman might have considered resigning with the Mets after this season because the main pieces are in place to win now.

Included in Cohen’s purchase are three minor league affiliates. Syracuse, Port St. Lucie, and Brooklyn Cyclones

Reactions: cicero grimes
Included in Cohen’s purchase are three minor league affiliates. Syracuse, Port St. Lucie, and Brooklyn Cyclones
Wondering if Trenton could be brought in as another affiliate if Yankees move away as reports indicate. Or is three MiLB orgs thebnew max?

Has anyone's views on the Cano trade changed after this season? Cano has had a decent year and Diaz improved greatly over last year. I still reach for the pepto each time he comes in but he seems to have settled down. My initial view of the trade was favorable when it happened. That changed to OMG did we get fleeced last year. This year I am more of the jury is still out. Cano and Diaz have had better years, Kelenic has not to my knowledge made it up to the big team and Dunn has struggled a bit but its early.

Reactions: shields
Has anyone's views on the Cano trade changed after this season? Cano has had a decent year and Diaz improved greatly over last year. I still reach for the pepto each time he comes in but he seems to have settled down. My initial view of the trade was favorable when it happened. That changed to OMG did we get fleeced last year. This year I am more of the jury is still out. Cano and Diaz have had better years, Kelenic has not to my knowledge made it up to the big team and Dunn has struggled a bit but its early.
My view on the trade is as it was. It's a WIN NOW trade. When you make a WIN NOW trade, you better win now. If you do, then it's a good trade. Period. Regardless of what the guys you give up go on to do. If you don't win now, then it's a bad trade. Period. Even if the guys you give up flop.

I evaluate trades on one basis only - did it help MY team achieve its objectives. Not on whether or not it helped the other team.

Problem is, the Mets have yet to win now, and the win-dow is closing (certainly on Cano, and also on Diaz who is two years away from free agency.)

Wondering if Trenton could be brought in as another affiliate if Yankees move away as reports indicate. Or is three MiLB orgs thebnew max?
If the Mets have Syracuse at AAA, Brooklyn promoted to AA, and Port St. Lucie at High-A, all of which they own, then I doubt they would have any interest in Trenton.

My view on the trade is as it was. It's a WIN NOW trade. When you make a WIN NOW trade, you better win now. If you do, then it's a good trade. Period. Regardless of what the guys you give up go on to do. If you don't win now, then it's a bad trade. Period. Even if the guys you give up flop.

I evaluate trades on one basis only - did it help MY team achieve its objectives. Not on whether or not it helped the other team.

Problem is, the Mets have yet to win now, and the win-dow is closing (certainly on Cano, and also on Diaz who is two years away from free agency.)
Yes, they really have to win next year and Cohen is the only hope. Need a catcher and a front line starter. I think you also have to pray the NL keeps the DH. Lugo needs to stay in the pen with Diaz. I don't want BVW in charge of talent anymore. The Alderson rumor is a good start but really want Theo in the front office.

If the Mets finish 6-1, they would finish the season at .500, 30-30. If that is the eighth best record in the NL, or better, then the Mets make the playoffs. Not likely.

If there is a simple two team tie for the last spot, then they have a one game play-in. Same as in a normal season. But if it is a mutiple-team tie, then I don't know what they do.

In theory, there could still be a six team tie for the last two spots.

OK I was totally wrong on this. No tiebreaker play-in games this year. All ties will be broken formulaically, as in the NFL. First tiebreaker is head to head.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This season? I think you mean the past few weeks. Both had a few "good" weeks last season as well.

This is a great post.
Two years in and thigh Diaz is still very inconsistent, he improved greatly this year and after coming back from his first half injury last year, Cano has been outstanding. We still don’t know how the guys that were traded will end up but at this point, it isn’t worth the thought.
the real problem of the trade is if Cabo’s money stopped us from making a serious offer to Wheeler. And if there is no DH next year, who gets left out? The DH allowed us to see a couple of really good infielders we had. If there was no DH this year, would Cano have blocked them?
Also, did getting Cano stop us from going after someone else and we know it took early AB’s away from McNeil and Davis last year.
funny though, if not for the money, it may not have been a horrific trade as I actually love him coming to bat with guys on or when we need a hit.
BVW f-Ed up with the “other” moves he should or should not have made.

No the trade was still terrible.

Cohen getting rid of BVW when Sandy comes in per the Twitter.

No the trade was still terrible.

Cohen getting rid of BVW when Sandy comes in per the Twitter.
AM New York reporting "Any way you slice it, Cohen is going to clean house."

This season? I think you mean the past few weeks. Both had a few "good" weeks last season as well.
Cano had just a few good weeks? You can't really be serious, can you serious...he has been as consistent from the beginning to the season until now. Actually even had his BA slip down to .297 over the past 30 days but a little more power.
Diaz has also been the same all year. A couple of bad games early, a couple late and all the others almost scoreless with a ton of K's and his walks and putting people on all year has also stayed the same(in a bad way) But both have been the same player day one as they were in the middle and as they are now. You try too hard

Reactions: Greg2020
Cashman? Now I would be down for that but why would he leave the Yankees?

Cano had just a few good weeks? You can't really be serious, can you serious...he has been as consistent from the beginning to the season until now. Actually even had his BA slip down to .297 over the past 30 days but a little more power.
Diaz has also been the same all year. A couple of bad games early, a couple late and all the others almost scoreless with a ton of K's and his walks and putting people on all year has also stayed the same(in a bad way) But both have been the same player day one as they were in the middle and as they are now. You try too hard
Cano has only batted .246 in Sept. Overall, he's had 4 good weeks, but a normal season is 26 weeks. Once again, calm down about his great "season". It was a month.

Cano has only batted .246 in Sept. Overall, he's had 4 good weeks, but a normal season is 26 weeks. Once again, calm down about his great "season". It was a month.
C'mon. This is worse than your hair-brained diet pontificating.
Cano has batted .324 for the year. That's his best BA since 2006. But you want to throw a wet blanket on 20 days of September? He batted .360 in July and .381 in August. That's more than 4 good weeks.

C'mon. This is worse than your hair-brained diet pontificating.
Cano has batted .324 for the year. That's his best BA since 2006. But you want to throw a wet blanket on 20 days of September? He batted .360 in July and .381 in August. That's more than 4 good weeks.
2006 - 2019 were 162 game seasons, right?
Apples and oranges.

He's had a good 1/6 of a season. Just count the weeks.

OK this is weird.

Mets are on life-support. Need to run the table to make the playoffs, and even that might not be enough.

Sooooo... today they put Marisnick on IL and call up Guillermo Heredia, an OF previously with Seattle and Pittsburgh. OK so far. But Rojas has put him right into the starting lineup tonight, and has BENCHED CONFORTO! Someone smarter than me please explain that. I cannot.

Anyway, need to go 1-0 tonight with Jake. Here goes:

Nimmo RF
McNeil LF
Davis 3B
Smith 1B
Cano 2B
Alonso DH
Rosario SS
Heredia CF
Ramos C
--------------
deGrom P

I guess it's a lefty/righty thing. Tampa Bay is starting a righty opener, but backing him up with a lefty. But still...

OK this is weird.

Mets are on life-support. Need to run the table to make the playoffs, and even that might not be enough.

Sooooo... today they put Marisnick on IL and call up Guillermo Heredia, an OF previously with Seattle and Pittsburgh. OK so far. But Rojas has put him right into the starting lineup tonight, and has BENCHED CONFORTO! Someone smarter than me please explain that. I cannot.

Anyway, need to go 1-0 tonight with Jake. Here goes:

Nimmo RF
McNeil LF
Davis 3B
Smith 1B
Cano 2B
Alonso DH
Rosario SS
Heredia CF
Ramos C
--------------
deGrom P

unless Conforto is hurt, the stupidity never ceases to amaze me. 7 games left and they
might need to win them all and they bench their best player against a righty...mind boggling.

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Now deGrom has to pitch a dozen more pitches because Davis can’t catch a baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT