ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

I may be wrong on McNeil, but not in most cases. At the end of the day the Mets operate like a small market team counting every penny even the ones in the future. You get what you pay for.
I think it feels that way but he was injured one year too. And then he came up with pretty much no fanfare and seemed like The Met's almost wanted to keep him buried.
On the other hand, when you look at his 3 full minor league season, he did not need almost 2000 AB's to prove himself. Dude has been a hitting machine.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Clearest path for the Mets to make the playoffs is to finish second in their division. This would require three things to happen:
  • Slumping Marlins (28-27, losers of last three) need to lose three of their last five to finish 30-30. They are @Atlanta for two and @NYY for three.
  • Slumping Phillies (27-29, losers of last four) need to lose two of their last four to finish 29-31. They are @Washington for one and @TAMPA Bay for three.
  • Mets need to win last five. Obviously that's the hardest part.
If all those things happen, Mets and Marlins would finish tied at 30-30 and Mets would win tiebreaker.

The Mets’ problem hasn’t been delaying the promotion of young prospects. It’s been not having nearly enough of them and, recently with BVW, trading them away.
I think that at times until I look at Smith/Alonso/McNeil/Nimmo/Rosario/Conforto/ the two G's/Peterson and realize that we have actually brought up quite a few young stars into the league recently. And they came up during a time we felt we were bare too.
I just think the organization is a mess from top to bottom. But, under the right GM and owner, we can get it back quickly, which does not mean just spend to win now but to improve our draft choices, development, international etc...How anyone though a Player Agent could lead all of that is mind boggling.

Clearest path for the Mets to make the playoffs is to finish second in their division. This would require three things to happen:
  • Slumping Marlins (28-27, losers of last three) need to lose three of their last five to finish 30-30. They are @Atlanta for two and @NYY for three.
  • Slumping Phillies (27-29, losers of last four) need to lose two of their last four to finish 29-31. They are @Washington for one and @TAMPA Bay for three.
If all those things happen, Mets and Marlins would finish tied at 30-30 and Mets would win tiebreaker.
Washington has been killing it, and killing the Phillies. Let's hope they are tired for the 4 game season-ending series.

Sadly I just don't see us being able to win 5 in a row. Pitching will fail us.

The Mets’ problem hasn’t been delaying the promotion of young prospects. It’s been not having nearly enough of them and, recently with BVW, trading them away.
We are on a tight rope...The good thing is that the Met's have gotten super lucky that almost every star minor leaguer they have brought up over the last few years have become major players. Conforto, Rosario(even though it seems he didnt turn that corner), McNeil, Nimmo, Alonso, Smith, Peterson, Gimenez, Guillorme(still to early)
That is a pretty good run for most teams but can't be sustained. It is also a worry I would have with Sandy coming back in any capacity. Building the minors is a relatively inexpensive endeavor.

We are on a tight rope...The good thing is that the Met's have gotten super lucky that almost every star minor leaguer they have brought up over the last few years have become major players. Conforto, Rosario(even though it seems he didnt turn that corner), McNeil, Nimmo, Alonso, Smith, Peterson, Gimenez, Guillorme(still to early)
That is a pretty good run for most teams but can't be sustained. It is also a worry I would have with Sandy coming back in any capacity. Building the minors is a relatively inexpensive endeavor.
The Dodgers have a lock on minor league stars making a splash in the big leagues.

A little different subject as I really havent followed the AL all that much...holy crap- Astros have proved this year that their stats and records over the past couple years should be erased,,,It isnt even just a slight dropoff..

Sorry but ALL 3 is not happening. Esp if Wacha goes Wacha tonight.

With the state of this starting pitching staff (which was supposedly an overflow of riches at the end of last season and beyond), this season can't end fast enough for me.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Meaningful games in September! The annual Wilpon objective is achieved!

Nimmo CF
Conforto DH
McNeil RF
Alonso 1B
Smith LF
Cano 2B
Frazier 3B
Gimenez SS
Ramos C
---------------
Wacha P

Reactions: tico brown
61325078.jpg

I think that at times until I look at Smith/Alonso/McNeil/Nimmo/Rosario/Conforto/ the two G's/Peterson and realize that we have actually brought up quite a few young stars into the league recently. And they came up during a time we felt we were bare too.
I just think the organization is a mess from top to bottom. But, under the right GM and owner, we can get it back quickly, which does not mean just spend to win now but to improve our draft choices, development, international etc...How anyone though a Player Agent could lead all of that is mind boggling.
All the players we brought up who showed something are Alderson guys.

All the players we brought up who showed something are Alderson guys.
And if you read closely, I made it clear that we are very lucky how successful we have been with them but...it isn’t sustainable. We just don’t have enough to withstand a few whiffs...we almost need every prospect to pan out.

And if you read closely, I made it clear that we are very lucky how successful we have been with them but...it isn’t sustainable. We just don’t have enough to withstand a few whiffs...we almost need every prospect to pan out.
That was an Alderson trait which continued with BVW - the willingness to trade prospects for veterans. The most notable was Fulmer for Cespedes. That one worked out. But there were many other mid-level prospects traded in the Alderson regime. Mid-level prospects are like two-stars in CFB. You know most are not going to make it big. But if you have enough quantity, you have a better chance of hitting it big on at least a few of them. Mets gave up a lot of quantity which sometimes does translate to quality. An example is the Blake Taylor trade. A lightly-regarded prospect who probably wasn't going to make it, except that he is.

And I'm fully expecting Mets fans to rank on their own team if they somehow turn into a "buy a championship" club..
Nope, it'll be YOU that does it enough for all of us. Either way,we'll be put in a position to make the Yankees spend even more either in prospects or money to continue to try and buy that elusive #28 and be relevant,well as relevant as you think they still are to baseball fans across the country. Entitled fanbase, only legends in your own mind.

And I'm fully expecting Mets fans to rank on their own team if they somehow turn into a "buy a championship" club..
Actually not sure which way you are going with that. Rank on our current team because we want to buy a champ team or after he does go out to try to buy a team, rank on them then?

Cohen has just issued a statement that if he is approved by MLB, he will appoint Alderson as team President. Not advisor, President.

Presumably Alderson would appoint a GM who would do the heavy lifting involved with the position. But Alderson would be the final decision maker.

In other words, the franchise has traded Jeff Wilpon for Sandy Alderson. Even if the finances were equivalent, that is a quantum leap.

Cohen has just issued a statement that if he is approved by MLB, he will appoint Alderson as team President. Not advisor, President.

Presumably Alderson would appoint a GM who would do the heavy lifting involved with the position. But Alderson would be the final decision maker.

In other words, the franchise has traded Jeff Wilpon for Sandy Alderson. Even if the finances were equivalent, that is a quantum leap.
I cant press LIKE enough for this post. Would like to see how Alderson does without the restraints and the idiodicy from the Wilpons.

IF he hires a top GM and allows that person to do the day to day job that is needed without "conflict" then it is a good move. But let's say the Met's try to go for a Theo type GM, would there too much butting heads?

IF he hires a top GM and allows that person to do the day to day job that is needed without "conflict" then it is a good move. But let's say the Met's try to go for a Theo type GM, would there too much butting heads?
Fair point. Maybe I'm reading too much into the term President. I mean Saul Katz is the current President and he has little or no power.

I just don't see Alderson taking the job unless he is promised full authority, and non-interference from Cohen.

We do know that Cohen loves Alderson. As a minority owner, Cohen was (and still is) on the Mets Board of Directors and attended the Board meetings. When Alderson was GM, he would give a report/presentation at each meeting. Cohen was obviously very, very impressed.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Fair point. Maybe I'm reading too much into the term President. I mean Saul Katz is the current President and he has little or no power.

I just don't see Alderson taking the job unless he is promised full authority, and non-interference from Cohen.

We do know that Cohen loves Alderson. As a minority owner, Cohen was (and still is) on the Mets Board of Directors and attended the Board meetings. When Alderson was GM, he would give a report/presentation at each meeting. Cohen was obviously very, very impressed.

I read Cohen hardly attended those meetings and usually sent someone in his stead.

Also to your post above Sandy didn't trade nearly as many prospects as BVW and he was here many years longer. In fact he hoarded them until the Cespedes/Fulmer deal.

This year is a perfect example of a very poor GM and Rookie Manager. On paper, if you were told deGrom would be on a CY type year again, Lugo would step up as a Starter, a rookie like Peterson would come in the way he has, Diaz be sub 2.00 era
On offense- we would find a rookie SS who is slick fielding, can steal bases hit near .270 with some pop, have 4 starters with above a .310 BA, 5 guys with 24 or more HR's, 3 guys with 35 or more Doubles and the worst 2 hitters would be a catcher hitting .241 with 12 HR and a .250 18 HR guy(so many years those two would be our 5 and 3 hitter)...Most would say there is no F-ing way THAT team could be sub .500 much less a 72-76 win team...Also- not to forget leading the majors in BA and OBP

This year is a perfect example of a very poor GM and Rookie Manager. On paper, if you were told deGrom would be on a CY type year again, Lugo would step up as a Starter, a rookie like Peterson would come in the way he has, Diaz be sub 2.00 era
On offense- we would find a rookie SS who is slick fielding, can steal bases hit near .270 with some pop, have 4 starters with above a .310 BA, 5 guys with 24 or more HR's, 3 guys with 35 or more Doubles and the worst 2 hitters would be a catcher hitting .241 with 12 HR and a .250 18 HR guy(so many years those two would be our 5 and 3 hitter)...Most would say there is no F-ing way THAT team could be sub .500 much less a 72-76 win team...Also- not to forget leading the majors in BA and OBP

Say it with me. Small sample size. If this team had another 4 months we'd have a much better idea of what they really are.

ADVERTISEMENT