ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

I read Cohen hardly attended those meetings and usually sent someone in his stead.

Also to your post above Sandy didn't trade nearly as many prospects as BVW and he was here many years longer. In fact he hoarded them until the Cespedes/Fulmer deal.
Your first point is correct. As minority owner, Steve Cohen sent his top lieutenant Andrew Cohen (no relation) to the Board meetings. In the Cohen empire, Andrew is in charge of non-financial equity investments, which includes Steve's 8% Mets share. Andrew formed a strong relationship with Sandy, and Steve formed a relationship through Andrew.

Sandy traded a ton of prospects in 2015-16 when he was in buy mode. But you're right, he did accumulate prospects before then.

Here is the exact wording of Cohen's statement today:

“If I am fortunate enough to be approved by Major League Baseball as the next owner of this iconic franchise, Sandy Alderson will become president of the New York Mets and will oversee all Mets baseball and business operations.

Sandy is an accomplished and respected baseball executive who shares my philosophy of building an organization and a team the right way. I am excited to have Sandy in a key leadership role with the Mets if my purchase of the team is approved. Lets’ Go Mets!”

Let's parse it, shall we? (I mean, we parse the quotes of 17 year old HS recruits, why not multi-billionaires?)

1) Alderson gets authority over ALL operations, not just baseball. Why would Cohen do that? Maybe because Alderson's ethical reputation is impeccable. May give the owners a comfort level in light of Cohen's shady (if not flat-out illegal) business practices. They may think "If Sandy's willing to do business with the guy, I guess he can't be THAT bad."

2) Interesting quote that Sandy "shares my philosophy of building an organization and a team the right way". Oh, and what way might that be? Sandy has never been a free spender, as he has never had the funds to spend. IMO, Cohen is clearly sending a message to the other owners, "Don't worry guys, I won't disrupt the salary structure." I guess we'll just see about that.

3) Let's Go Mets! Not Let's Fvcking Go Mets! Cohen is making it clear that he is a straight-laced gentleman worthy of invitation to the country club. Not an unrefined new-money type like that Bobby Axelrod character. Also, misplaced use of the apostrophe (Lets' instead of Let's) shows the world he's just a regular guy at heart.

Last item is tongue in cheek, but I am serious about the first two.

So to finish 2nd at this point, Mets must win them all, Phillies, must lose them all, and Marlins can only win one.

If the Mets win them all but do not finish 2nd, I guess they are still mathematically alive for one of the two remaining wild cards, but that computation is beyond my pay grade.

So to finish 2nd at this point, Mets must win them all, Phillies, must lose them all, and Marlins can only win one.

If the Mets win them all but do not finish 2nd, I guess they are still mathematically alive for one of the two remaining wild cards, but that computation is beyond my pay grade.
It ain't happening

Say it with me. Small sample size. If this team had another 4 months we'd have a much better idea of what they really are.
Small sample but say it with me...that is the equivalent 55 game run the Met's have had so it is 100% relevant to this sample sized season. Their offense is like we have never had in Met history(by the numbers). The other 4 months doesn't matter- I only used full season stats to just make it make more sense. Giving this sample size season is sometimes hard to let it sink in...So, shrink it back down to what they are doing now...this team has no reason to be this bad

Met's are not getting to the playoffs- I am only staying with the team remainder of the year, first because I am a fan but I also hope for the following

Conforto and Nimmo reach 10 HR's each. Smith reach 45 RBI, Alonso get to 15 HR
Conforto/Smith/Cano/McNeil BA's
deGrom's last start- can they actually get him a win and can he throw a great gem - 7 inns, 3 hits 0 ER's and 10+K to get his 3rd CY
Continued growth from Gimenez

Here is the exact wording of Cohen's statement today:

“If I am fortunate enough to be approved by Major League Baseball as the next owner of this iconic franchise, Sandy Alderson will become president of the New York Mets and will oversee all Mets baseball and business operations.

Sandy is an accomplished and respected baseball executive who shares my philosophy of building an organization and a team the right way. I am excited to have Sandy in a key leadership role with the Mets if my purchase of the team is approved. Lets’ Go Mets!”

Let's parse it, shall we? (I mean, we parse the quotes of 17 year old HS recruits, why not multi-billionaires?)

1) Alderson gets authority over ALL operations, not just baseball. Why would Cohen do that? Maybe because Alderson's ethical reputation is impeccable. May give the owners a comfort level in light of Cohen's shady (if not flat-out illegal) business practices. They may think "If Sandy's willing to do business with the guy, I guess he can't be THAT bad."

2) Interesting quote that Sandy "shares my philosophy of building an organization and a team the right way". Oh, and what way might that be? Sandy has never been a free spender, as he has never had the funds to spend. IMO, Cohen is clearly sending a message to the other owners, "Don't worry guys, I won't disrupt the salary structure." I guess we'll just see about that.

3) Let's Go Mets! Not Let's Fvcking Go Mets! Cohen is making it clear that he is a straight-laced gentleman worthy of invitation to the country club. Not an unrefined new-money type like that Bobby Axelrod character. Also, misplaced use of the apostrophe (Lets' instead of Let's) shows the world he's just a regular guy at heart.

Last item is tongue in cheek, but I am serious about the first two.

Moneyball with money.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Conforto done for the year, put on IL.
Yep. Guillorme up. This reduces that 1.8% playoff chance even further.

Mets try to stay alive for another day against the lefty Corbin - remember 6:00 start!

McNeil RF
Davis DH
Smith LF
Alonso 1B
Cano 2B
Frazier 3B
Rosario SS
Heredia CF
Chirinos C
-------------
Peterson P

Met's are not getting to the playoffs- I am only staying with the team remainder of the year, first because I am a fan but I also hope for the following

Conforto and Nimmo reach 10 HR's each. Smith reach 45 RBI, Alonso get to 15 HR
Conforto/Smith/Cano/McNeil BA's
deGrom's last start- can they actually get him a win and can he throw a great gem - 7 inns, 3 hits 0 ER's and 10+K to get his 3rd CY
Continued growth from Gimenez
Welp- nevermind on Conforto...

MLB.pipeline has released its All-Rookie team. Gimenez named to second team. Peterson not selected.

I’ll save you all the pain of another 50 page Mets thread. Here is a full preview of the Mets season.

man. I nailed the Mets season in the second post of this thread. Same old Mets. Loser organization. And many in this thread owe me an apology for correctly predicting “little” petey Alonso would be the mess that he is. A whiff machine who has a whole in his glove.
#LoLmets

Say it with me. Small sample size. If this team had another 4 months we'd have a much better idea of what they really are.
Lol. Dude. 8 teams out of 15 made the playoffs. Every good team figured it out. Dodgers, Braves, Yankees, rays. Everyone else figured it out. Except the lovable loser Mets.
Are Mets fans really going to respect Cohen as their owner. Guy has a super shady past. Very bad.

man. I nailed the Mets season in the second post of this thread. Same old Mets. Loser organization. And many in this thread owe me an apology for correctly predicting “little” petey Alonso would be the mess that he is. A whiff machine who has a whole in his glove.
#LoLmets
Way too soon to write off Mr. Alonso. Shortened season. Now if he plays the same way next year, different story. To be very clear.......no one “owes” you a thing.

Reactions: tico brown
Mets win! And Magoo, don't complain about Diaz. He got it done.

tenor.gif

Oh, and superfan is still a dickhead.

Seeds 5 -8 Available (7 Teams):
Cards. 28-26. Four games with Brewers
Reds. 29-28. Three games with Minnesota.
Marlins. 29-28. Three games with Yankmees.
Giants lose. 28-28. Four games with the Padres.
Phillies. 28-29. Three games with Tampa Bay.
Brewers. 27-29. Four games with Cards.
Mets. 26-31. Three games with Washington

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record (if applicable), and the next is intradivisional record. If the teams are still tied, the next tiebreaker is the teams’ record in their final 20 division games (plus one until the tie is broken).

Improbable, but possible scenario:
Mets need to win all three, ending 29-31. Porcello pitches tonight. Then deGrom, Lugo.
Cards win out, or go 3-1 against Brewers. Mets pass Brewers, Brewers end 27 or 28 wins.
Phillies must lose all three to Tampa Bay. Can't rely on tie and head to head record against Phils.
Giants lost all four to Padres, end up 28-32.

If there is a tie (excluding Phillies), Mets are in if:
Mets intradivisional record is 17-20; win all three, intradivisional record ends at 20-20.
Brewers intradivisional record is 17-19. If Brewers win two, Mets still pass Brewers.
Giants intradivisional record is 17-19. If Giants lose two, Mets pass Brewers.
Phillies still need to lose all three.

Probably screwed something up in that analysis- check my work, but:
tenor.gif

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record (if applicable), and the next is intradivisional record. If the teams are still tied, the next tiebreaker is the teams’ record in their final 20 division games (plus one until the tie is broken).

Mets need to win all three, ending 29-31. Porcello pitches tonight. Then deGrom, Lugo.
Cards win out, or go 3-1 against Brewers. Mets pass Brewers, Brewers end 27 or 28 wins.
Phillies must lose all three to Tampa Bay. Can't rely on tie and head to head record against Phils.

Mets intradivisional record is 17-20; win all three, intradivisional record ends at 20-20.
Brewers intradivisional record is 17-19. If Brewers win two, Mets still pass Brewers.

tenor.gif
In other words, it's not happening

In other words, it's not happening
There are two types of people in this world. Optimists and pessimists. I don't stop believing---until it is time to stop believing, because Ya gotta believe! Remember that?
Carry on.

YGB_new_tee.jpg

tenor.gif
Mets can also still finish second in their division. A simpler path, albeit equally unlikely.

Mets win out to finish 29-31
Marlins lose out to finish 29-31
Phillies lose out to finish 28-32.

Mets win a two-team tiebreaker with Marlins, due to a 6-4 advantage head to head. That is the only tiebreaker scenario that they win. Phillies win a two-team tiebreaker with Mets. (EDIT: With Marlins win yesterday, a Phillies-Mets tie is no longer possible.) Marlins win a two-team tiebreaker with Phillies. Marlins also win a three team tiebreaker.

No more margin for error. But still a chance. ESPN has it at 2.1%. If you had a multi-million dollar lottery ticket and were one of fifty finalists, you'd feel pretty excited about it, no?

There are two types of people in this world. Optimists and pessimists. I don't stop believing---until it is time to stop believing, because Ya gotta believe! Remember that?
Carry on.

YGB_new_tee.jpg
I'll believe when they clinch. And Porcello is supposed to to pitch in one of these games? OK.

My opinion. I think as of now Bauer gets the Cy this year.
Hate to say I agree. he pretty much leads in every category except wins. deGrom comes in 2nd with another insane year
#LoLmets
Funny thing is, he would still be 2nd on the Yankees in HR and RBI...

Pete did have an off year. Just never seemed to get on tract for any period of time. The good news is...if projected out for a full season his really bad year still would be almost 40 HR and 90+ RBI...His glove, I didnt get to watch the games but followed mostly online so hard to talk what seemed to be wrong there. DH, if it stays helps the Met's a lot with Pete and Cano on the team. If DH stays, we can live with a Pete that ends up a split between his two seasons and ends up a .250 hitter with 40 HR's a year. Pete wasn't our problem this year. Part of it but no where near our biggest concern at all.
How did your bubby Mr Judge do? Asking for a friend

Reactions: RC83
Lol. Dude. 8 teams out of 15 made the playoffs. Every good team figured it out. Dodgers, Braves, Yankees, rays. Everyone else figured it out. Except the lovable loser Mets.
Are Mets fans really going to respect Cohen as their owner. Guy has a super shady past. Very bad.
Steinbrenner was a convicted felon. Where was the groundswell from yankee fans demanding he sell the team? Surely they could not respect him.

I'll believe when they clinch. And Porcello is supposed to to pitch in one of these games? OK.
I never said they definitively would "clinch." I just said there is a chance and Ya Gotta Believe, just like Tug McGraw said in 1973. And my thread said Porcello, deGrom and Lugo to pitch. Now watch Porcello pitch a no hitter tonight and deGrom get lit up like the Times Square Xmas tree tomorrow. Because that would be so Mets. [roll]

I never said they definitively would "clinch." I just said there is a chance and Ya Gotta Believe, just like Tug McGraw said in 1973. And my thread said Porcello, deGrom and Lugo to pitch. Now watch Porcello pitch a no hitter tonight and deGrom get lit up like the Times Square Xmas tree tomorrow. Because that would be so Mets. [roll]
After his last start- would be nice to see Porcello follow it up...But lets say he goes 7, less than 7 hits, 9k's and get the win with 2 or less runs...What do we do about him? I would kind of like him as a number 5 to be honest. If we go into next year with deGrom, Peterson, Lugo, Porcello unil Noah is back someone we may get in the off season to start the season and then when Noah gets back, move Porcello into the 5th spot...More important, they all stay healthy , we may have found something. Nothing else- Porcello does eat innings and is capable of big games at times. perfect for a number 5...
And it would be so Met's to run off those games and make the final game count and then shit the bed. lol

Because, I have enjoyed the last 2 days since I have written them off.

#LoLmets
Even in a shortened season, Alonzo plays more games then the face of baseball, Mr. Softee, lol. Do you want to become an Honorary Member of The 3 Amigos Fan Club? Seems your also $hit scared of what a loaded financial owner of The Mets might be able to do. Enjoy your extra 3 games, as a #28 in a *** season*** wouldn't mean dick anyway. Alonzo> Judge, that is all.

After his last start- would be nice to see Porcello follow it up...But lets say he goes 7, less than 7 hits, 9k's and get the win with 2 or less runs...What do we do about him? I would kind of like him as a number 5 to be honest. If we go into next year with deGrom, Peterson, Lugo, Porcello unil Noah is back someone we may get in the off season to start the season and then when Noah gets back, move Porcello into the 5th spot...More important, they all stay healthy , we may have found something. Nothing else- Porcello does eat innings and is capable of big games at times. perfect for a number 5...
And it would be so Met's to run off those games and make the final game count and then shit the bed. lol

Because, I have enjoyed the last 2 days since I have written them off.
Porcello has to show more. Wheelwr did and what did that do for him? A ticket out of town. Not that Wheeler is suffering, but more is required of Porcello if he's to stick around.

Even in a shortened season, Alonzo plays more games then the face of baseball, Mr. Softee, lol. Do you want to become an Honorary Member of The 3 Amigos Fan Club? Seems your also $hit scared of what a loaded financial owner of The Mets might be able to do. Enjoy your extra 3 games, as a #28 in a *** season*** wouldn't mean dick anyway. Alonzo> Judge, that is all.
This is an embarrassing post. Sorry buddy your team stinks. No need to attack me or the better run organizations in the sport. Better luck next year.

Last edited:
While the free agent market for pitching is very thin right now, I think it will open up. I think that some teams will go on a pandemic austerity kick. Look for some attractive arbitration-eligible candidates to emerge, because they will be non- tendered due to cost cutting.

In other words, I think we can do better than Porcello.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Porcello has to show more. Wheelwr did and what did that do for him? A ticket out of town. Not that Wheeler is suffering, but more is required of Porcello if he's to stick around.
Except that Porcello would be getting #5 start $$$ not Ace money

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT