ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reactions: tico brown
Time for my second annual postseason roster analysis. (At least I think it's my second annual, I vaguely recall doing this last year.) A look at the de facto 49 man roster going into the offseason. That's the actual 40 man, plus 8 on 60 day IL, plus 1 Cano. This is long but worth it. At least I think so.

I) UNDER CONTRACT (7) - with their guaranteed 2022 salary

Robinson Cano - $20.25M (net of Seattle rebate)
Carlos Carrasco - $12M
Jacob deGrom - $36M
Franciscon Lindor - $34.1M
Trevor May - $7.75M
James McCann - $8.15M
Taijuan Walker - $8M

That adds up to over $126 million, which would have put the Mets squarely in the midpack of MLB salaries this year. And that's just for seven guys. Even for a Steve Cohen, that's gotta crimp your style somewhat.

Two big questions here:

1) DeGrom. He can opt out at the end of 2022. Does it make sense to discuss extension given his health questions? I think not.
2) What to do with Cano? I say let him show up to spring training and figure it out from there.

II) FREE AGENTS (12)

Javier Baez
Dellin Betances
Michael Conforto
Jeurys Familia
Brad Hand
Heath Hembree
Rich Hill
Aaron Loup
Kevin Pillar (mutual option)
Marcus Stroman
Noah Syndergaard
Jonathan Villar

The immediate questions are whether to exercise the option on Pillar (NO) and make qualifying offers to Conforto and Syndergaard (YES to both). Beyond that, we're into some serious roster construction issues to be made by the new POBO and his team. Fortunately, I think they will have time to do this, as I doubt that anybody is going to throw around major money until a new CBA is in place. I expect that this will be a very late-developing offseason.

Would not be shocked if the only two returnees on this list are Loup and Syndergaard.

III) ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE (16) - broken out by free agent year

Miguel Castro
Edwin Diaz
Robert Gsellman
Seth Lugo
Jose Martinez
Brandon Nimmo
Jose Peraza
Trevor Williams

J.D. Davis
Dominic Smith

Pete Alonso
Luis Guillorme
Joey Lucchesi
Jeff McNeil
Tomas Nido
Drew Smith

Alonso is gonna get paid. A few guys are gonna get traded. A few other guys are gonna get non-tendered. No one is gonna get extended. I think the new leadership team will come in with a "show me" attitude before they start spending Uncle Steve's hard earned dollars long term.

IV) UNDER TEAM CONTROL (14)

Travis Blankenhorn
Yennsy Diaz
Khalil Lee
Patrick Mazeika
Tylor Megill
Stephen Nogosek
Corey Oswalt
Mark Payton
David Peterson
Jake Reed
Sean Reid-Foley
Robert Stock
Thomas Szapucki
Jordan Yamamoto

The remarkable thing about this list is how totally un-remarkable it is. And that is the most damning piece of evidence against this team's recent management.

EVERY good team NEEDS a nucleus of young, controllable players that you don't have to pay for a while. This allows you to pay others. Who do the Mets have? Who on this list can we honestly say is a key part of the Mets present or future? Tylor Megill - maybe? David Peterson - maybe? Khalil Lee - maybe? That's about it. Sad.

So there you have it. Those are the 49 players that the new management team has to work with as it enters the offseason. Yes, there are promising young players coming up through the pipeline. A few of them (Mark Vientos for one) will need to be added to the 40 man this year. But none of them are expected to be 2022 contributors, at least not until mid to late season.

The new management team has decisions to make, and a lot of work to do.

Its ugly and unless Cohen is willing to go full Dodger mode, next year could be year the new GM sells off and starts over.

As far as Rojas goes, he was the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Probably was not ready to be a MLB manager but got thrust into the job because of Beltran.

Sounds like he isn't leaving the door open a crack. He's leaving it wide open.

I would think that the new manager would certainly be allowed to choose his own bench coach, and probably his own base coaches. However, I can see Alderson deciding to keep the hitting and pitching coaches, as they are more organizational in nature.
This is wtf I was talking about with Sandy and his rules that don’t even work.

Wildcard games are 50/50. Kinda silly baseball plays 162 meaningless games to have these flip of the coin playoff series.

worse for the dodgers.
Those 162 games weren't "meaningless" at all. The whole point of those games was is to dermine who is going to have to play the flip of the coin game. For instance, the Giants and Dodgers had a torrid race to see which team would have to play that game, and which would be guaranteed a best of five series with the home field advantage.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I love the 1 game play in - it keeps the races going, gives a couple of teams a chance to make a run and it rewards the teams that win their division. There isn't much not to like.
This to me is key.

I hated last year's 16 team tournament. The 8 seed and the 1 seed were essentially on an even keel. For a 60 game season, I get it. For a 162 game season, I hope we never see it.

Reactions: retired711
LAD would have won every other division in baseball but getting screwed by going to a 1 game. If they want to keep the playoffs this way they should eliminate divisions all together or base the WC matchups based on record not actual division winner and re-seed every matchup.

It actually sucks for SFG as well. They win 107 games and then possibly get 106 game WC winner in the next round not even the NLCS!! Very dumb.

Reactions: Mufasa94
They might tweak the teams that the division winners ultimately face. But you will never see divisions go away.

How about they get the next hire right?

Mets managerial records since 2003:

Luis Rojas: 103-119 (.464)
Carlos Beltran: 0-0 (Fired)
Mickey Callaway: 163-161 (.503)
Terry Collins: 551-583 (.486)
Jerry Manuel: 204-213 (.485)
Willie Randolph: 302-253 (.544)
Art Howe: 137-186 (.424)

Good lord.

How about they get the next hire right?

Mets managerial records since 2003:

Luis Rojas: 103-119 (.464)
Carlos Beltran: 0-0 (Fired)
Mickey Callaway: 163-161 (.503)
Terry Collins: 551-583 (.486)
Jerry Manuel: 204-213 (.485)
Willie Randolph: 302-253 (.544)
Art Howe: 137-186 (.424)

Good lord.
^^^^^ That's gotta play well in New York.
BTW, I knew Willie was the best.

This to me is key.

I hated last year's 16 team tournament. The 8 seed and the 1 seed were essentially on an even keel. For a 60 game season, I get it. For a 162 game season, I hope we never see it.
If I remember right, the 8 vs. 1 series was played entirely at 1's ballpark. The same was true of the other match-ups. I realize that homefield advantage does not mean as much in baseball as in other sports, but it's still something. But like you, I'm glad baseball is using this format not last year's. We'll see what format the new CBA brings.

Those 162 games weren't "meaningless" at all. The whole point of those games was is to dermine who is going to have to play the flip of the coin game. For instance, the Giants and Dodgers had a torrid race to see which team would have to play that game, and which would be guaranteed a best of five series with the home field advantage.
Fine but then why would the giants have to play the dodgers in the best of 5 when the Braves and brewers play each other.
How is that fair?

If I remember right, the 8 vs. 1 series was played entirely at 1's ballpark. The same was true of the other match-ups. I realize that homefield advantage does not mean as much in baseball as in other sports, but it's still something. But like you, I'm glad baseball is using this format not last year's. We'll see what format the new CBA brings.
It's more unfair now. Giants/ dodgers division series and Braves/ brewers.
what did the Braves win like 20 less games then the giants or dodgers and get an easier route.
Laughable

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Remember when we'd win countless games and not make the playoffs (i.e. 98 in '85)?

So, how large of a wager did you place on the Bosux sure thing this evening ?
Easy money, no ?
I won a large chuck of money on the percentage of Yankees fans that would jump on and off the band wagon. The Vegas under and over was 75%, and I took the over. That was the easiest of money. 😉

Wildcard games are 50/50. Kinda silly baseball plays 162 meaningless games to have these flip of the coin playoff series.

worse for the dodgers.
Win the division and you won’t have to put up with these silly wildcard games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT