ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any "most memorable" list is highly personal and there are no wrong answers. Definitely not the same as "most significant". We all remember things for our own reasons.

So... going back to the original ground rules, here are my Top Ten Most Memorable Mets At-Bats:

1) Mookie's 1986 grounder. This gets extra credit because the same at-bat included two memorable events: the "gets by Buckner", and the Stanley WP which preceded it. Plus, it's top of my list because I was there.

2) Beltran's called third strike in 2006. Memorable is not always good.

3) Bartolo's HR. Gary Cohen's intentionally over-the-top call was an integral part of this for me.

4) Benny Agbayani's walk-off HR in 2000 NDLS against the Giants. This one is higher than it might otherwise be because I was there.

5) Todd Pratt's 1999 NLDS walk-off. I was listening to Cohen's radio call for this one. "Finley jumps... (a full one-second pause)... and it's OUTTA HERE! OUTTA HERE!

6) JC Martin's 1969 sac bunt in WS Game 4 where the throw hit him and rolled away, and the runner scored to win the game. He was running in fair territory and should have been called out, but whatever.

7) Willie Mays' game winning HR in his Met debut, May 14, 1972. I had to look up the date, but I remembered the event, so it counts.

8) Daniel Murphy's HR in 2015 NLDS Game 5 to beat the favored Dodgers. The most memorable of a bunch of memorable HR's Murphy hit in that stretch.

9) The 1969 Cleon Jones shoe polish ball in the deciding Game 5 WS.

10) I will close my list with one that has been forgotten but everyone but me. It was in 1980. Those of us of a certain age may remember that as "The Magic Is Back" year. The Mets were actually getting good again, or so it seemed. On June 14, Steve Henderson capped a five run ninth inning rally with a 3 run homer to move the Mets just ONE GAME BELOW .500! A very big deal back then. Then the magic dissipated, not to return for four years.

Note I have omitted the Piazza 2001 HR. It was a significant emotional event to many, but not to me. Didn't affect my mood at all.

Former Rutgers Baseball and Football Player, Eric Young, who is the father of former Met Eric Young Jr, is headed to the World Series.

Heaven, I know of your ardor for all things Rutgers. But this is a Met OT thread. So to keep this off-topic thread on topic, I took the liberty of slightly editing your post.

Here’s a suggestion: stop being a troll on the Rutgers Al level and you’ll be an ok person lol.
Not sure what you mean by "troll", but I've been having fun at the expense of Mets fans since 1962.
As Van Morrison sang......"It's too late to stop now"".

Not sure what you mean by "troll", but I've been having fun at the expense of Mets fans since 1962.
As Van Morrison sang......"It's too late to stop now"".
You were making fun of Mets fans in the expansion year of 19-freakin-62?

That's just mean.

And you seemed so nice on the CE board...

Reactions: Kbee3
KB is an asshole - always is and always has been.
100%. He'll never see #28. Put that prediction under my name, unlike the wussies who won't admit to coining The New Core 4 and winning several titles in the 5 years following 2016 when often injured Judge, along with Torres, Sanchez and Andujar were going to set the baseball world on fire.

Any "most memorable" list is highly personal and there are no wrong answers. Definitely not the same as "most significant". We all remember things for our own reasons.

So... going back to the original ground rules, here are my Top Ten Most Memorable Mets At-Bats:

1) Mookie's 1986 grounder. This gets extra credit because the same at-bat included two memorable events: the "gets by Buckner", and the Stanley WP which preceded it. Plus, it's top of my list because I was there.

3) Bartolo's HR. Gary Cohen's intentionally over-the-top call was an integral part of this for me.

4) Benny Agbayani's walk-off HR in 2000 NDLS against the Giants. This one is higher than it might otherwise be because I was there.

5) Todd Pratt's 1999 NLDS walk-off. I was listening to Cohen's radio call for this one. "Finley jumps... (a full one-second pause)... and it's OUTTA HERE! OUTTA HERE!

6) JC Martin's 1969 sac bunt in WS Game 4 where the throw hit him and rolled away, and the runner scored to win the game. He was running in fair territory and should have been called out, but whatever.

7) Willie Mays' game winning HR in his Met debut, May 14, 1972. I had to look up the date, but I remembered the event, so it counts.

8) Daniel Murphy's HR in 2015 NLDS Game 5 to beat the favored Dodgers. The most memorable of a bunch of memorable HR's Murphy hit in that stretch.

10) I will close my list with one that has been forgotten but everyone but me. It was in 1980. Those of us of a certain age may remember that as "The Magic Is Back" year. The Mets were actually getting good again, or so it seemed. On June 14, Steve Henderson capped a five run ninth inning rally with a 3 run homer to move the Mets just ONE GAME BELOW .500! A very big deal back then. Then the magic dissipated, not to return for four years.

Note I have omitted the Piazza 2001 HR. It was a significant emotional event to many, but not to me. Didn't affect my mood at all.
1. Is Mookie’s grounder. Also because it was the night of my bachelor party and I had two pitchers of beer poured on my head immediately afterwards at Olde Queen’s (will be married 35 years in a couple weeks). And I enjoyed every minute of it.

Good list. I was at 1), 2), and 5).

ESPN reporting that it is almost certain that the current CBA will expire on December 2 with no agreement being reached.

IMO this works to the Mets advantage, given their difficulties in filling their front office positions. For practical purposes the trade / free agent market is frozen until a new agreement is reached. No one will want to make any major moves or investments until they know what the new rules are. Come December 2, the market could well be officially frozen.

Will Atlanta Brave fans be allowed to use the Chop, or will "woke" media and Stacy Abrams try to ban it? I'm guessing Joey Whispers will be told to come out against it.

Will Atlanta Brave fans be allowed to use the Chop, or will "woke" media and Stacy Abrams try to ban it? I'm guessing Joey Whispers will be told to come out against it.
Well that’s one way to have this Mets thread closed or thrown into the CE board without mentioning THE METS.

And between the Yankee fans and other stuff that appears here, people wonder why these Mets threads always outnumber the other team threads 2-1.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Some reports we're now looking internally for the POBO job. I wish Sandy would retire again.

Some reports we're now looking internally for the POBO job. I wish Sandy would retire again.
Yeah. I've been very upbeat about this whole process, but it's hard to stay positive now.

NY Post is reporting that Mets are considering Assistant GM Ian Levin, and/or VP of Amateur/International Scouting Tommy Tanous. I know nothing of either of these gentlemen. They could be excellent candidates for the POBO position - someday. But given their current positions, it's hard to think that either would be ready now.

Despite his strong desire to step back, Sandy may be forced to remain hands-on for a while. Maybe a long while. I feel sorry for the guy. 😉

Might have an offer out to Matt Arnold for the POBO job. Currently GM of the Brewers. Would be a fantastic hire if they get him!

So MLB doesn't have guidelines in place like the NFL which stipulates that your current team can't block you from speaking to other interested teams for a position that would be a promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT