ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure sounds like Mets are moving on to Plan C - Alderson acts as POBO for another year, and hires a GM.

While this is disappointing, IMO it is preferable to settling for a POBO that is not at least on your B list. Can try again next year, when Stearns (for one) will presumably be a free agent.

Sure sounds like Mets are moving on to Plan C - Alderson acts as POBO for another year, and hires a GM.

While this is disappointing, IMO it is preferable to settling for a POBO that is not at least on your B list. Can try again next year, when Stearns (for one) will presumably be a free agent.
Ferreira sounds intriguing. EVP with a successful organization with whom she's been with for over 2 decades. Works with Chaim Bloom

And now d'Arnaud on the verge of helping Atlanta get a ring. 😢
I for one cannot help but look back wistfully on what might have been, if only the Mets had kept Guillermo Heredia and his 75 OPS+.

BTW, in 2021 Travis d'Arnaud (admittedly in a limited sample) had an OPS+ of 74.

Maybe not you (idk), but I wish people here would do the same about a certain folk hero whos elsewhere now lol.
Are you referring to a certain Seattle Mariner? Sorry, I can't let that one go. I know I should, and perhaps someday I will. But not now, not yet. Too soon.

Yes, I will always have a special place in my heart for Paul Sewald.

Are you referring to a certain Seattle Mariner? Sorry, I can't let that one go. I know I should, and perhaps someday I will. But not now, not yet. Too soon.

Yes, I will always have a special place in my heart for Paul Sewald.
Not him. I’ll just leave it alone, lol.

Not sounding good for the Mets:

The Mets currently are so dysfunctional they make the Yankees look like movers and shakers. And say what you will about Steinbrenner, at worst he’s an invisible owner. Cohen, by contrast, has shown signs of being as meddlesome and tone-deaf as Wilpon, according to people who’ve interacted with him.

At this point it’s no longer possible to say it’s just coincidence that everyone keeps swiping left on the Mets. Crazy, isn’t it? Flushing should’ve been an attractive destination for someone, at least one of the game’s younger general managers. Think: Matt Arnold (Brewers) or Scott Harris (Giants), who could’ve inherited beautiful Citi Field, the successful SNY network, not to mention access to Cohen’s dollars for the rebuilding project.

Both said “no thanks” this week.

The Mets currently are so dysfunctional they make the Yankees look like movers and shakers. And say what you will about Steinbrenner, at worst he’s an invisible owner. Cohen, by contrast, has shown signs of being as meddlesome and tone-deaf as Wilpon, according to people who’ve interacted with him.

At this point it’s no longer possible to say it’s just coincidence that everyone keeps swiping left on the Mets. Crazy, isn’t it? Flushing should’ve been an attractive destination for someone, at least one of the game’s younger general managers. Think: Matt Arnold (Brewers) or Scott Harris (Giants), who could’ve inherited beautiful Citi Field, the successful SNY network, not to mention access to Cohen’s dollars for the rebuilding project.

Thanks for informing us that the Mets were having difficulties filling their executive positions. I don't think any of us were aware of that.

One problem with being a columnist is that you have to produce columns on a defined schedule, regardless of whether you have anything new to say. Such is the case here.

One note of interest - Klapisch clearly believes that the problem is Cohen, not Alderson.

I still believe there are members of MLB owners who are blackballing the Mets. The level at which teams are denying the Mets opportunities to interview front office personnel for upward movement is suspicious. It seems the only people who are given permission are women. There's nothing wrong with that, but the candidate pool should be bigger.

There is a lot of personal hate on display. It reminds me of Jerry Jones when he first purchased the Cowboys. Unfortunately, plenty of media people are ignoring the possibility this is true or just not speaking on it.

I still believe there are members of MLB owners who are blackballing the Mets. The level at which teams are denying the Mets opportunities to interview front office personnel for upward movement is suspicious. It seems the only people who are given permission are women. There's nothing wrong with that, but the candidate pool should be bigger.

There is a lot of personal hate on display. It reminds me of Jerry Jones when he first purchased the Cowboys. Unfortunately, plenty of media people are ignoring the possibility this is true or just not speaking on it.
100% - I have never seen so many team deny permission to people for a promotion. And these have been teams that are not even competitors. I can understand a Philly/Wash/Atl not allowing it but the Brewers?

That also the one that baffles me a little. If I am Arnold and know that my boss just turned down the Met's to stay in Mil...I would know that is not my future. But then his bosses block the Met's from interviewing him...OK- I'm Arnold, I would be a little annoyed as this was a promotion to the level of his boss, Stearns. But then he agrees to an extension. OK, great, but that means he is going to stay in a lesser role in a lesser market. Accepting the extension is what I don't really understand.

Reactions: redking
100% - I have never seen so many team deny permission to people for a promotion. And these have been teams that are not even competitors. I can understand a Philly/Wash/Atl not allowing it but the Brewers?

That also the one that baffles me a little. If I am Arnold and know that my boss just turned down the Met's to stay in Mil...I would know that is not my future. But then his bosses block the Met's from interviewing him...OK- I'm Arnold, I would be a little annoyed as this was a promotion to the level of his boss, Stearns. But then he agrees to an extension. OK, great, but that means he is going to stay in a lesser role in a lesser market. Accepting the extension is what I don't really understand.
Not a mystery why this is happening. Cohen seems to be a jerk and likes to mouth off on social media (which other owners don't like).

A very timely article in The Athletic (paywall). A group of minor leaguers have issued a class action suit against MLB, claiming they have been unfairly underpaid. They have introduced into evidence an infamous quote from none other than Steve Cohen, who bragged that MLB draft picks are worth five times their cost.

When you are the new kid on the block, that is no way to win friends and influence people.

No action in The Dead Zone? I guess a Mets fan posted in the Yankee thread so you have permission to post here, lol What page has your teams thread fallen down to, I can't even find it?

Last edited:
So 2 of the last 3 World Series Champions have come from The NL Least, how about that kids. 😁

How far behind are the NY Mets from the World Series champion Atlanta Braves?

Very far, esp with “collusion” within other front offices to not allow their personnel interview with the Mets and national writers saying the Mets should never have fired Zack Scott after his DUI.

Mets fans are so weird. The day will never come when Yankees fans will be bragging about the Bosux or Rays winning a World Championship.
But Yankee fans are so worried about how fans of some insignificant team in Queens think of them that they go on the Mets threads so that they won’t be forgotten.

But Yankee fans are so worried about how fans of some insignificant team in Queens think of them that they go on the Mets threads so that they won’t be forgotten.
I can't get through to you guys that you're encouraging someone who is coming here just to provoke a response. Stop answering him if you want him to go away.

Not interested in response.
Love posting the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT