ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem IMO is that the GM candidates all know that the plan is to hire a POBO next year, who will likely want to bring in his own GM. So why would anyone want the job now?

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
The problem IMO is that the the GM candidates all know that the plan is to hire a POBO next year, who will likely want to bring in his own GM. So why would anyone want the job now?

It's a mess. Also why one of the candidates is someone who left baseball 4 years ago to be a lawyer.

It's a mess. Also why one of the candidates is someone who left baseball 4 years ago to be a lawyer.
He's likely a candidate because of the collusion among the MLB owners against Cohen. No current MLB employee of another team is allowed to seriously consider the Mets without facing repercussions. Just a theory based on what's taking place over the last few months.

I believe it is a combo of both.
Cohen came on the scene and acted like a hedge fund bully and didn't realize that in this old boys club of owners, money doesn't always talk.
Then you have Sandy. I don't think his reputation does him any favors. Porter and Calloway- and you know damn well he had heard all the things Calloway was doing while here but as an old boys club member- he looked the other way. And then you know there is no way he isn't going to still have a major influence on decisions. Why would one of the best of the best have him casting a shadow on them. Cohen isn't going anywhere- he really does have to get Sandy the hell out of town.
Your wrong. Money talks in baseball like it talks anywhere else.
The Mets issue is two fold with finding a big name GM
1) Exodctations are super high and "win now" and the roster is a mess. This was highlighted on the 1st page of this thread. It's not a win now roster. There is a lot of bad contracts and bad players to work through
2) Thisbis still Sandy's team. He is still there and his son is a senior assistant GM. No big name will work for that.

Reactions: rurahrah000

Hahahah. Blaming NYC for reasons Mets can't hire anyone. This guys is a nut job.
Maybe the reason is that the roster is a mess, the owner is a crazy crook and sandy and son are still running things. Nobody with multiple options would want this.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Hahahah. Blaming NYC for reasons Mets can't hire anyone. This guys is a nut job.
Maybe the reason is that the roster is a mess, the owner is a crazy crook and sandy and son are still running things. Nobody with multiple options would want this.
YEAH… Mets ain’t winning sh** until he’s gone…

What a mess this off-season is for Mets.
How is Cohen any different then Wilpons?
everything is the same
I hate to say it but even with Cohen, he seems to be afriad to just buy what he wants. I really think Sandy is running the show. I don't want Cohen to be the modern day George but he needs to use his money when he has to.

I hate to say it but even with Cohen, he seems to be afriad to just buy what he wants. I really think Sandy is running the show. I don't want Cohen to be the modern day George but he needs to use his money when he has to.
I want Cohen TO BE a modern day George. Never understood why Yankee fans hated him so much. All he did was want to win

Your wrong. Money talks in baseball like it talks anywhere else.
The Mets issue is two fold with finding a big name GM
1) Exodctations are super high and "win now" and the roster is a mess. This was highlighted on the 1st page of this thread. It's not a win now roster. There is a lot of bad contracts and bad players to work through
2) Thisbis still Sandy's team. He is still there and his son is a senior assistant GM. No big name will work for that.
Weird...number 2 is pretty much agreeing with me. Need to get Sandy the hell out of here...

As for number 1- I do think it could be a win now if Cohen wants to act like a top of the market owner and hires the right management.
I may be in the minority but I bet 10 years from now- people may think different.
* Lindor is not going to be a bad deal and should not handcuff us. He will end his career either 1 or 2 in almost every category along with D Wright
* The real bad contract is Cano- so either use him as a DH or just cut and take our loss.
So- besides those two- outside of deGrom- no one else making over $12mil...help me out with the current bad contracts.
* How do you make a serious run without killing the future- sign Stroman. Thor will take his QO. Let Conforto walk. Go hard at S Marte and Bryant. We lose no draft picks. Maybe try to pick up a 1/2 year vet pitcher that also cost no draft picks. And then look at middle relief.

Make a couple of trades- consider Smith, JD and maybe McNeil. Maybe the best chances for good middle relief and a few good prospects.

Oh yeah- sign Loup lol

and all of a sudden, we should be right up there. disclaimer- Thor and deGrom need to be good next year lol

Weird...number 2 is pretty much agreeing with me. Need to get Sandy the hell out of here...

As for number 1- I do think it could be a win now if Cohen wants to act like a top of the market owner and hires the right management.
I may be in the minority but I bet 10 years from now- people may think different.
* Lindor is not going to be a bad deal and should not handcuff us. He will end his career either 1 or 2 in almost every category along with D Wright
* The real bad contract is Cano- so either use him as a DH or just cut and take our loss.
So- besides those two- outside of deGrom- no one else making over $12mil...help me out with the current bad contracts.
* How do you make a serious run without killing the future- sign Stroman. Thor will take his QO. Let Conforto walk. Go hard at S Marte and Bryant. We lose no draft picks. Maybe try to pick up a 1/2 year vet pitcher that also cost no draft picks. And then look at middle relief.

Make a couple of trades- consider Smith, JD and maybe McNeil. Maybe the best chances for good middle relief and a few good prospects.

Oh yeah- sign Loup lol

and all of a sudden, we should be right up there. disclaimer- Thor and deGrom need to be good next year lol
I co-sign to this

Funny thing is that the only person in MLB charged and convicted of supplying steroids and human growth hormone and other drugs worked for the Mets! Everytime Mets fans bring up this topic they conveniently forget Kirk Radomski. The Mets were the most juiced team in baseball and still sucked.
Why are you responding to me? You call me a troll, but I guess you really don't know the meaning, unforking real. Why are you even in this thread? Go back to the Dead Zone, no one wants you here.

Reactions: tico brown

But yet Sandy still has gotten the Mets a WS appearance more recently than your guy, and we are the JV,too forking funny.

Why are you responding to me? You call me a troll, but I guess you really don't know the meaning, unforking real. Why are you even in this thread? Go back to the Dead Zone, no one wants you here.
Why am I repsonding to you?? I quoted your stupid post with the idiotic image. I came on here to talk Mets baseball history. Former Mets manager is up for the Hall of Fame. I guess you fans don't care. You would rather talk about Sandy and take another jab at the Yankees success. Talk about a Dead Zone.

Why am I repsonding to you?? I quoted your stupid post with the idiotic image. I came on here to talk Mets baseball history. Former Mets manager is up for the Hall of Fame. I guess you fans don't care. You would rather talk about Sandy and take another jab at the Yankees success. Talk about a Dead Zone.
Yankee Success? Come on guy this isn’t the ancient history board.

Why do you make us do this...anyway - "As for performance-enhancing drugs, Radomski told ESPN.com that the only Mets he supplied during his clubhouse days in New York were Lenny Dykstra and David Segui, though he writes that his plea agreement with the government states that he didn't begin distributing until after he left the Mets." ~ Radomski and per Radomski - Radomski supplied the drugs to personal trainer Brian McNamee, who has testified that he provided performance enhancers to Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Chuck Knoblauch.

Just thought it may be good to provide some info with a source rather than your non stop trolling- and yes, you have stepped above the 3 Amigos.
yesrutgers01 nails it, "his non stop trolling", love it. He's so ignorant he doesn't realize his trollness. I counted 4 people he was having a meltdown with in one Yankee thread that started out as a good baseball read about baseball swings, yes I read the Yankee thread as every now and then they have decent threads that he then makes his own, unreadable, and talks down to several that don't see his "baseball knowledge", lol. He also fails to acknowledge I was responding to another Yankee troll in this thread who took his usual broken record shot at our last WS win, at which point this doofus decides he's The Cape Crusader of Steroid Free Yankee Baseball. Please go back to The Dead Zone and bitch slap your own since in your mind, you are loved and respected over there! LMFAO Shortbus!!!

Last edited:
Yankee Success? Come on guy this isn’t the ancient history board.
BeOS5sHCQAAs0bC.jpg:large

Oh yeah- sign Loup lol

Good thoughts. You should apply . But can you handle nyc ?

As an attorney, he represented sports figures and was involved in sports arbitration cases. One could argue that this actually strengthens his resume.

He does come from a solid organization (Washington).

We could do worse. We have done worse.

Remember when hiring BVW was stupid because he had no MLB front office experience? Now you got regular lawyers being mentioned for the job.

Theres IS collusion, I’m telling you.

As an attorney, he represented sports figures and was involved in sports arbitration cases. One could argue that this actually strengthens his resume.

He does come from a solid organization (Washington).

We could do worse. We have done worse.
I'm not sure this won't be as worse as used car salesman BVW. The game has developed greatly in 5 years and GM is not the position where you learn on the fly. It's ok to admit this a disaster at this point.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Per multiple sources in The Athletic today (paywall) the Mets primary target for POBO remains David Stearns. They believe he will be a free agent next year, that he has strong interest in the job, and they are willing to wait to get him. Whomever they hire as GM this year would a one-year placeholder. That person would essentially be on a one-year audition to convince Stearns to retain him. Presumably, the same would be true for whomever they hire as manager.

There are obviously some concerns with this strategy. For one thing, no one knows Stearns' contract status for certain. It isn't in the public domain. Maybe Attanasio (the Brewers owner) convinces Stearns to re-up between now and them. And if Stearns does become a free agent, the Mets won't be his only suitor.

But all of that aside, I agree with this strategy. If Stearns is the guy you want, then it's better to go after him when you can, and muddle through this year as best you can. Preferable to settling for Plan B, C, D or whatever we're down to now.

Per multiple sources in The Athletic today (paywall) the Mets primary target for POBO remains David Stearns. They believe he will be a free agent next year, that he has strong interest in the job, and they are willing to wait to get him. Whomever they hire as GM this year would a one-year placeholder. That person would essentially be on a one-year audition to convince Stearns to retain him. Presumably, the same would be true for whomever they hire as manager.

There are obviously some concerns with this strategy. For one thing, no one knows Stearns' contract status for certain. It isn't in the public domain. Maybe Attanasio (the Brewers owner) convinces Stearns to re-up between now and them. And if Stearns does become a free agent, the Mets won't be his only suitor.

But all of that aside, I agree with this strategy. If Stearns is the guy you want, then it's better to go after him when you can, and muddle through this year as best you can. Preferable to settling for Plan B, C, D or whatever we're down to now.
Beats the shit out of giving up any players wanted since we're not exactly loaded with gems.

If we could pull this off, I would be ok with it. Though, if Stearns all of a sudden extends his current contract, I will be shaking my head.

I am sorry, but Cohen or not- being successful for the Met's is a whole different world then being successful in Milwaukee.
But, with this move- I don't see Sandy stepping away from baseball decisions. Though, he was never going to do that anyway.

Just hoping this bumbling search ends soon and we somehow get Stearns next year

About as blah a hire you can get but at least it wasn't Cromie.
I don't need a splashy hire. Been there, done that. See BVW.

I will happily settle for quiet competence. Will Eppler bring that to the table? I guess we'll see.

Reactions: FrankZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT