ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bruce has a bad spring training, he won't even make the team. There's plenty of scrubs that teams take. a flyer on with minor league deals and pray for the best.

Why even be interested in Bruce? Yankees have a whole team of Bruce’s. (Power hitters, not good average hitters). So frustrating.

Its frustrating that he’s focused on minor league batters when the rotation is what they need to upgrade.
How many potential starters would you like to have? We have 4 established starters and the choice of like 6-7 young kids to choose from. At some point you have to actually give the kids a chance to win the job.

How many potential starters would you like to have? We have 4 established starters and the choice of like 6-7 young kids to choose from. At some point you have to actually give the kids a chance to win the job.

How many potential power hitting outfielders does Cashman wanna have?

so many question marks at rotations. That’s what he should be focused on. A combined 11 starts between 3 of the “established 4” in thr rotation since 2019. Not very confident in this rotation and think instead if continuing to add minor league power cashman should go a different route. That’s all

Well my established 4 was based upon experience, not injury history.

Cole, Montgomery, Talion, Kluber were my definites. German should be in if he proves stable enough.

Then you got: Schmidt, Garcia, Chacin, King and others.

I'm not sure if Cashman has made the right move by going with high upside guys with injury concerns but that die has been cast already. Time to move on and go with it. FWIW, I'm always a go with the kids kind of guy to see if they can actually make it but that's my philosophy.

How many potential power hitting outfielders does Cashman wanna have?

so many question marks at rotations. That’s what he should be focused on. A combined 11 starts between 3 of the “established 4” in thr rotation since 2019. Not very confident in this rotation and think instead if continuing to add minor league power cashman should go a different route. That’s all
How much focus does it take to someone to a minor league contract?

Well my established 4 was based upon experience, not injury history.

Cole, Montgomery, Talion, Kluber were my definites. German should be in if he proves stable enough.

Then you got: Schmidt, Garcia, Chacin, King and others.

I'm not sure if Cashman has made the right move by going with high upside guys with injury concerns but that die has been cast already. Time to move on and go with it. FWIW, I'm always a go with the kids kind of guy to see if they can actually make it but that's my philosophy.
Taillon isn't an established pitcher. One complete season 2018. Injured most of 2019 just 7 games. Out last season

Taillon isn't an established pitcher. One complete season 2018. Injured most of 2019 just 7 games. Out last season
Tallion has 82 starts to his name over 4 seasons. He pitched significant time over 2016-2017,

And if that's true, then Montgomery and German are worse options. Montgomery only has 46 starts over 4 seasons. German has 38 starts over 3 years.

Tallion has 82 starts to his name over 4 seasons. He pitched significant time over 2016-2017,

And if that's true, then Montgomery and German are worse options. Montgomery only has 46 starts over 4 seasons. German has 38 starts over 3 years.
They are bad options. Especially for German. When you sit out for a year away from the team you have no clue what you will get. At least Montgomery did pitch last year albeit poorly. It's not a great pitching staff at all.

They are bad options. Especially for German. When you sit out for a year away from the team you have no clue what you will get. At least Montgomery did pitch last year albeit poorly. It's not a great pitching staff at all.
Keep in mind that German benefitted from a very good offense. His ERA 2 years ago was awful for winning that many games...It is going to be very important that Seve can come back strong at some point this year.

I certainly was wrong about any team going over the luxury cap. The Dodgers not only went above the cap but they went past the highest tax level and will pay over $13 mill on top of their $256 mil salary. They were under the cap as early as last week before they signed Bauer. Crazy!
I think the acquisitions San Diego scared them and big contracts come off the payroll in 2022. They really want to repeat.

No worries guys... The NYY will get Kyle Hendricks at the trade deadline for some high minor leaguers.

Keep in mind that German benefitted from a very good offense. His ERA 2 years ago was awful for winning that many games...It is going to be very important that Seve can come back strong at some point this year.

Sorry, but this statement does not fly. While I'm certainly no fan of German's DV - in 2019 he showed to be a pretty good pitcher in both the W/L column as well as stats. Among starting pitchers in the AL who pitched 100 innings or more - he was ~20th in ERA, Top 10 in WHIP and Top 5 in ERA+ (adjusted for ballparks). We'll find out more about how a year away from MLB will effect his ability.

Sorry, but this statement does not fly. While I'm certainly no fan of German's DV - in 2019 he showed to be a pretty good pitcher in both the W/L column as well as stats. Among starting pitchers in the AL who pitched 100 innings or more - he was ~20th in ERA, Top 10 in WHIP and Top 5 in ERA+ (adjusted for ballparks). We'll find out more about how a year away from MLB will effect his ability.
He was not awful but a +4 era and 18 wins...you just can’t expect that as a norm.

He was not awful but a +4 era and 18 wins...you just can’t expect that as a norm.

His ERA was slightly over 4 (4.03) which is not bad if you may need to factor in the AL East, Ballpark and DH in the juiced ball era. It's why I also used the ballpark adjusted ERA which is in the AL top 5. The 2019 Yankees were built to support 5-6 inning starters with a high emphasis on a strong pen. He had ~4 bad outings that contributed significantly to raising his ERA.

If he is able to return to form, while I might not expect 18 - 4 record again, I would expect a quality #3 - 5 rotation level starter. He was a guy with 4-5 pitches (including a "plus" power sinker and emerging curve & change). His control and velocity were also very good as well.

His ERA was slightly over 4 (4.03) which is not bad if you may need to factor in the AL East, Ballpark and DH in the juiced ball era. It's why I also used the ballpark adjusted ERA which is in the AL top 5. The 2019 Yankees were built to support 5-6 inning starters with a high emphasis on a strong pen. He had ~4 bad outings that contributed significantly to raising his ERA.

If he is able to return to form, while I might not expect 18 - 4 record again, I would expect a quality #3 - 5 rotation level starter. He was a guy with 4-5 pitches (including a "plus" power sinker and emerging curve & change). His control and velocity were also very good as well.
He had 13 really well pitched games. A handfull of 3 runs in 5/6 innings and a9 games that were either not so good to awful. A few of those were just very short 2 inning type games that may have been good or bad.
But that is the resume of a guy that will usually fall into that 10-12 win area, not 18. Yanks did average 6.5 per game for him.
Again- he is not bad...but he is not a guy to count on for 15+- I would put him in that 3 slot type of guy that could move up to a 2 if he has another solid year. With a year off- it is hard to bank on it. Yankees need Darvish to pitch really well this year. We know Cole will do his part but then there is just a lot of hope. Need at least 2 of the guys behind Cole to have really good years. It is possible and also could have 3 or 4 guys have good years too. But wow- a lot of uncertainty. Add in that Chapman had a bad year, hope that was because of the F'd up year.
I actually love seasons when both NY teams are doing well. It just makes the season a ton of fun.

Regarding German, he seems highly volatile and unstable given these latest revelations. Looks like ALL of his problems are between the ears.

Also might not fly well with his teammates. The more I think about it, the more I feel like he won't contribute in 2021. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: biker7766
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT