ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the cheaters got off easy this year and not yet bounced from the playoffs. Screw them.

One thing on Bauer. Him and Cole despise each other going back to their UCLA days.

Both. In July he tweeted he is leaving baseball. Kinda retracted that but hasn't been playing anywhere. Yesterday Cashman called the incident that lead to his suspension "horrific"
I could be wrong, but I don't think he "kinda retracted that". I thought he made clear he was ready for 2021. Although i kinda think the Yankees will trade him.

Reactions: Section124
So these series have become very interesting. Game 7 in the ALCS and 3-2 in NLCS. Fox must be praying for Dodgers. A Tampa Atlanta series would be a ratings nightmare. I hate the cheaters so rooting for Tampa tonight.
With Yankees and Phillies playing Atlanta so much I do enjoy watching them more. Freddie Freeman can f-ing play.

I got the catcher that Cashman needs to go after... d Arnaud. Probably won't cost much and decent bat and good defensively.

Any word yet on the Yankees moving their minor league team from Trenton to Bridgewater? Have any MLB teams announced the minor league franchises they are dropping?

Frazier redeemed himself nicely this year. Good for him. Kind of liked him since he is so different then the type of guy the Yankees like to have. Curious how a Bauer would go over with the Yankee brass. It would be very interesting. lol

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Frazier redeemed himself nicely this year. Good for him. Kind of liked him since he is so different then the type of guy the Yankees like to have. Curious how a Bauer would go over with the Yankee brass. It would be very interesting. lol
NYY is a top quality organization with top quality personnel. One nutty player can't change that. He would be manageable.

Hope they bring Gardner back. Came on T end of year and great in clubhouse. And not completely sold on Frazier. Gardner would be a great insurance policy

Hope they bring Gardner back. Came on T end of year and great in clubhouse. And not completely sold on Frazier. Gardner would be a great insurance policy
Would they carry five outfielders? Tauchman doesn't have any options left, if I'm not mistaken, so they'd have to carry five (not counting Stanton) or lose Tauchman.

I can see Gardner coming back on a much cheaper contract. His option was for 10 million. He'd probably get 3 million at most.
He isn't coming back. Yankees should go after Adam Eaton. Shocked the Nationals didn't pick up his contract at just $10 million.

The key is they aren't going to spend money on a guy who's the 5th outfielder, nor should they. We'll be lucky if they re-sign DJ and a free agent pitcher.

Reactions: czxqa
The key is they aren't going to spend money on a guy who's the 5th outfielder, nor should they. We'll be lucky if they re-sign DJ and a free agent pitcher.
Adam Eaton won't be a 5th outfielder. He would be a starting outfielder and a much needed lefthand bat in the lineup.
DJ is a must get.

Ouch, AOC isn't gonna like this. In all honesty, playing in Somerset, with access right off Rt.287 is a no brainer, I wish the Mets had taken it. Nice shops and a few restaurants around there, and come on, if the truth be told, A LOT SAFER to walk to your car.https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/monmouth/news/betrayed-trenton-thunder-owner-calls-yankees-despicable/797504/
+1
No brainer. The TT owner was making indirect racial charges against the Yanks and why they are moving. Just sad.

+1
No brainer. The TT owner was making indirect racial charges against the Yanks and why they are moving. Just sad.
I was there twice with my wife and both my sons years ago, not exactly a good vibe around that stadium. I had to explain to my youngest son why women were standing on the corner waving to men in the window of a building across from the lot we parked in, lol. He said, why can't they just come out to talk, oh boy, that took a couple of minutes to explain. Those old Trenton Thunder vs Binghamton Mets games for me, will never be forgotten.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Definitely sounds like no Bauer, which makes sense.

Your team needs to save its money for DJ. Dodgers may make a run at him if Justin turner goes elsewhere. Mets have greater needs so I don’t think Mets seriously entertain DJ. I think Springer or Ozuna and Bauer are the big free agents Mets go after with Lindor trade.

Your team needs to save its money for DJ. Dodgers may make a run at him if Justin turner goes elsewhere. Mets have greater needs so I don’t think Mets seriously entertain DJ. I think Springer or Ozuna and Bauer are the big free agents Mets go after with Lindor trade.
+1
DJ is the priority. I would love to get Lindor and move Torres to 2nd and DJ to 1st, but that price will likely be too steep. Getting a solid catcher alternative to Sanchez is the second priority.

Reactions: biker7766
The Yankees don't need to "save" money for DJ. His $12 million came off the books. They amount over $12million that they offer him won't break the books. This contract will be more about years. There is no excuse for the Yankees not to get this done. Take his agents offer and sign it and move onto the next guy.

I'm not a fire Cashman guy in any way. However.....

If the Yankees continue to struggle in the playoffs for a few more seasons and no actions are taken I will shift my vote (not that anyone would care). Currently, his positives still outweigh any negatives that come up.
I was on team Cashman too but there are just so many issues that are head scratchers.

How do you have three young guys, Sanchez, Andujar and Frazier, who can't field at a competent level coming out of your farm system?

How do you lose the handle on Sanchez? Why did he become a dead pull hitter when he had so much success early on, hitting it the opposite way? Why has that not been addressed? Why is he still catching? Its obvious the guy is a long, long way from being a competent college catcher much less at the MLB level. Why have they kept trying? You can't win championships with a total defensive liability at catcher.

Why do you have so many guys playing out of position? Torres is no ss, anyone could see that before they made the switch. Why did they try?

What happened to Andujar? He was rookie of the year if not for the Japanese veteran, now he can't hit, can't play? Why?

What happened with Frazier? Now he can field but last year he couldn't? You can see the talent, why has he wasted so many years getting it together? If it were just him, ok but there are just too many guys with too much regression...

What about the injuries? WTH is going on with all the hamstring pulls and other muscle issues?

Development issues, roster issues....it's time to hand it over to someone else.

I was on team Cashman too but there are just so many issues that are head scratchers.

How do you have three young guys, Sanchez, Andujar and Frazier, who can't field at a competent level coming out of your farm system?

How do you lose the handle on Sanchez? Why did he become a dead pull hitter when he had so much success early on, hitting it the opposite way? Why has that not been addressed? Why is he still catching? Its obvious the guy is a long, long way from being a competent college catcher much less at the MLB level. Why have they kept trying? You can't win championships with a total defensive liability at catcher.

Why do you have so many guys playing out of position? Torres is no ss, anyone could see that before they made the switch. Why did they try?

What happened to Andujar? He was rookie of the year if not for the Japanese veteran, now he can't hit, can't play? Why?

What happened with Frazier? Now he can field but last year he couldn't? You can see the talent, why has he wasted so many years getting it together? If it were just him, ok but there are just too many guys with too much regression...

What about the injuries? WTH is going on with all the hamstring pulls and other muscle issues?

Development issues, roster issues....it's time to hand it over to someone else.
Some of the things you are mentioning have easy answers:

Adujar gets hurt for the year, gets surpassed by Urshela who is a superior fielder and an above average hitter. He may not hit as well as Andjuar but the fielding/hitting combo gives him the job.

Frazier begins fielding well after he heals from injuries that he was not being honest about. He's an obvious every day player now.

They took a shot on Torres being the every day SS in a 60 game shortened season . He was a shortstop in the minors and started playing 2B for the Yankees because we traded Starlin Castro away in the Stanton deal. It was worth trying, now I agree they have to fix the problem this offseason.

Now if you want to look at Cashman screwups, you only have to look at the big contracts they've taken on:

Ellsbury - horrible
Stanton - looking bad, but still can get some value, however greatly limits flexibility in the lineup
Hicks - not as much money, but looking like a true question mark at this point
Severino - good deal if he comes back healthy

One can say that they're the Yankees and they shouldn't worry about money, but that's a Hal thing and not a Cashman thing. Cashman's greatest strength is stockpiling cheap assets, It's time to let them play in the bigs or trade them for people who can. The one thing I always say about firing Cashman is, who will you get to replace him that is better? And you need to provide names that can do it successfully in the Yankees hierarchy. If you can't, then there's no point.

Now if you want to look at Cashman screwups, you only have to look at the big contracts they've taken on:

Ellsbury - horrible
Stanton - looking bad, but still can get some value, however greatly limits flexibility in the lineup
Hicks - not as much money, but looking like a true question mark at this point
Severino - good deal if he comes back healthy
I still don't understand the Hicks one. Ellsbury, Stanton, and Severino and their agents could all point to productive seasons that they'd had previously. When has Hicks ever been anything but mediocre with a bat in his hand ? It's especially puzzling if you factor in that the Yankees had a promising top centerfield prospect (Florial) working his way up through the minors.

Last edited:
I still don't understand the Hicks one. Ellsbury, Stanton, and Severino and their agents could all point to productive seasons that they'd had previously. When has Hicks ever been anything but mediocre with a bat in his hand ? It's was especially puzzling if you factor in that the Yankees had a promising top centerfield prospect (Florial) working his way up through the minors.
The love Cashman has for Hicks has always left
me baffled. I'm now guessing he thought he made out, because 70 million for 10 years is cheap. I believe Hicks took it as security for him and his family And the way he looks at it now is " I'll have some fun and stay healthy and have a stress free life." No goals for RBIs, Homer's, or batting average.

Last edited:
The love Cashman has for Hicks has always left
me baffled. I'm now guessing he thought he made out, because 70 million for 10 years is cheap. I believe Hicks took it as security for him and his family And the way he looks at it now is " I'll have some fun and stay healthy and have a stress free life." No goals for RBIs, Homer's, or batting average.
Hicks actually got MVP votes after the season where he got his contract extension so I get it I guess. However, anytime we try to catch a bargain by extending guys early, it nearly always blows up in our faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT