ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2020 season

c10j10s

Senior
Nov 25, 2012
Figured it’s about time to get this started. I’ll start this off by posting my 26 man opening day roster prediction from the off-season thread:

C Gary Sanchez
1B Luke Voit
2B DJ LeMahieu
SS Gleyber Torres
3B Gio Urshela
LF Giancarlo Stanton
CF Brett Gardner
RF Aaron Judge
DH Miguel Andujar

C Kyle Higashioka
IF/OF Tyler Wade
OF Mike Tauchman
1B Mike Ford

SP Gerrit Cole (boy that felt nice to type)
SP James Paxton
SP Masahiro Tanaka
SP Luis Severino
SP JA Happ

RP Aroldis Chapman
RP Zack Britton
RP Adam Ottavino
RP Tommy Kahnle
RP Chad Green
RP Jonathan Loaisiga
RP Luis Cessa
RP Jonathan Holder

The first real bits of news have started to come out in front of spring training. Happ has been confirmed at the 5th starter and the team has told Andujar to prepare to take reps at 1B and LF.

Reactions: RU4ever
Aaron Hicks at CF, Garner off the bench, unless I missed something.

Aaron Hicks at CF, Garner off the bench, unless I missed something.
Josh Hicks?
7RKHORVZXFGW5GOKFTREAFJLJ4.jpg

Reactions: Abro1975
When was his last clutch hit? 3 years ago in the playoff?

I mean right off the bat he had the huge homerun off Verlander in game 5 of the ALCS to keep their season alive. 3 huge homeruns against Tampa this season as they were battling for the division. Go ahead homerun in Minnesota down to their final out then the Superman catch with the bases loaded to save the game. I’ll do a deeper dive later. He gets big hits.

When was his last clutch hit? 3 years ago in the playoff?
I think he meant the clutch hit in 2018 was followed by another one in 2019. I do not view him as a clutch hitter at all. once in
awhile he get into small hitting streaks..But he fails with men on base frequently. Another thing just mentioned,
Happ, Torres, Andujar, Judge, & Ford. were early Arrivals at Camp. Where were Stanton and Sanchez? Counting their money?
I truly believe if Stanton, Sanchez, and Hicks miss the season we would be fine. Just like last year when 30 something players were hurt, and we just kept getting better.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
So Baseball Refernce keeps track of stats for high leverage situations. Basically the clutch stat.

Here are Aaron Hicks’ numbers in high leverage situations for the 2019 season:

32 G, 50 PA, 41 AB, 4 HR, 20 RBI, .293 BA, .380 OBP, .659 SLG, 1.039 OPS

Last edited:
Figured it’s about time to get this started. I’ll start this off by posting my 26 man opening day roster prediction from the off-season thread:

C Gary Sanchez
1B Luke Voit
2B DJ LeMahieu
SS Gleyber Torres
3B Gio Urshela
LF Giancarlo Stanton
CF Brett Gardner
RF Aaron Judge
DH Miguel Andujar

C Kyle Higashioka
IF/OF Tyler Wade
OF Mike Tauchman
1B Mike Ford

SP Gerrit Cole (boy that felt nice to type)
SP James Paxton
SP Masahiro Tanaka
SP Luis Severino
SP JA Happ

RP Aroldis Chapman
RP Zack Britton
RP Adam Ottavino
RP Tommy Kahnle
RP Chad Green
RP Jonathan Loaisiga
RP Luis Cessa
RP Jonathan Holder

Looks about right, but i could easily see Montgomery in over Cessa. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Reactions: dt913
Looks about right, but i could easily see Montgomery in over Cessa. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I think they still see Montgomery as a starter long term. Barring an injury I’d be really surprised if he didn’t open the season in the AAA rotation. He’s still a young guy and he barely pitched last year.

I think they still see Montgomery as a starter long term. Barring an injury I’d be really surprised if he didn’t open the season in the AAA rotation. He’s still a young guy and he barely pitched last year.
Surely not a guy to count on. If he makes to the majors great. Bonus. But if the Yankees are counting on him it's a big mistake.

Reactions: c10j10s
What I like about the Yankees, as a whole, is the options they can create if needed. Jordan Montgomery, Deivi Garcia and Domingo German (back in early June) buffer the starters. They'll be needed. If one or both aren't good, it won't sink the starting staff. I heard a stat that the average MLB team starts a pitcher for 39% of their season who was NOT part of the starting five at the beginning of a season. The extra starters also provide some depth for the bullpen. I'm not big on Holder, Cessa or Loaisiga at the back end of that pen.

And overall, it allows for players to show their potential (or not) but not greatly impact the team's chances for the post season.

If Urshela turns into a bust, you still have his glove and Andujar can play. If Andujar can't return to form, then DJ can play there. Voit and Ford can play first. Andujar may also be an option there if needed.

Tauchman doesn't get the respect he deserves from last year and will be a fourth outfielder. If he doesn't recover from last year's injury then Tyler Wade can fill in there and in the infield.

They've got a lot of options if players don't come back to form or get injured again.

Last edited:
The minor league system is definitely gunna be another fun follow this year. That AA rotation should be chock full of exciting prospects. The only thing the Yankees lack right now is an exciting position prospect in the upper level of the minors. This is gunna be a make or break year for Florial. Needs to stay healthy. Pitching wise names to keep an eye that could potentially impact the Yankees this year: Deivi Garcia, Mike King, Miguel Yajure, Clark Schmidt, Luis Medina. And of course we’ll hopefully see the professional debut for the 16 year old bonus baby Jasson Dominguez. Kid has the potential to be a generational talent.

Didi will definitely be missed from an emotional standpoint. Definitely gunna have to catch some Philly games this year.
I think he'll also be missed when Gleyber makes his first key error.

Last edited:
Didi will be missed but you can't keep everybody. The injury and lack of production after it made it an easy decision for the brass.

Reactions: c10j10s
Surely not a guy to count on. If he makes to the majors great. Bonus. But if the Yankees are counting on him it's a big mistake.

Bad take - especially since they would have Happ, Garcia and German in the wings.

Bad take - especially since they would have Happ, Garcia and German in the wings.

I disagree with that for sure. Can’t count on Monty right now. He pitched 7.2 innings between the minors and the majors last year. That’s it. They need to build his arm up in the minors. Happ is the 5th starter. They’ve already decided that. German is out until mid-June and Garcia is no sure thing. He struggled when he got the bump to AAA.

He certainly isn't paid like a 5th starter!

I'm not sure how that's relative to the discussion. Regardless of how much he is paid, on this staff Happ is a #5. Barring injury, come the playoffs, he would go into a bullpen roll.

Didi will be missed but you can't keep everybody. The injury and lack of production after it made it an easy decision for the brass.
Also, believing that Gleyber could play shortstop was a huge factor. I hope they were right.
I'm gonna miss Didi.

Also, believing that Gleyber could play shortstop was a huge factor. I hope they were right.
I'm gonna miss Didi.
I believe shortstop is his natural position. He only played 2nd so Didi would not have to be moved..

Reactions: czxqa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT