ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm indifferent to the news of Boone returning. He's not the problem at all.

I want to know why our good young players regress and fix it. We screw up good players at an alarming rate compared to our peers. Having such a high payroll should put us over the top, but having good scouting and development is step #1,2 and 3. 200 million a year should put you in championship position every year, not just trying to make the playoffs.

if it's Cashman that's holding us back, make a change.
If it's Yankee team philosophy, make a change.

Don't just repeat again and again what's going on and hope it works.

I used to think that the Steinbrenner kids would care as much as his dad. Not in the way of breaking rules but in the motivation and drive to win. Now, I agree with Bus and just shake my head that their Dad would beat their asses if he could talk to them now after seeing the lack of success in recent years.

Reactions: RW90
I'm curious for all the new launch angle guys- why is it that the greatest HR hitters in the history of baseball all say to swing down for power and yet, these new guys with the uppercuts are not matching what many of the greats did?

But who actually swung down for power? I can't think of anyone who swung like that.

But who actually swung down for power? I can't think of anyone who swung like that.
I've heard Mike Schmidt say he did that. (Schmidt was a color commentator for Sunday Phillies games at home this year, and that's why I heard him.) Schmidt is very critical of the modern emphasis on launch angle.

OTOH, I have Ted Williams' book on hitting. Williams says not to swing flat,but instead to have an upward angle. After all, the ball is coming down from the pitcher's hand on the mound, and so swinging upward amaximizes the chance of hitting the ball solidly. But I think he wouldn't have liked today's launch angles. Guys are either hitting home runs or missing completely.

OTOH, I have Ted Williams' book on hitting. Williams says not to swing flat,but instead to have an upward angle. After all, the ball is coming down from the pitcher's hand on the mound, and so swinging upward amaximizes the chance of hitting the ball solidly. But I think he wouldn't have liked today's launch angles. Guys are either hitting home runs or missing completely.
The mound was much higher in Ted's day also.

They all used to do it and not just for power. If you look at Paul O'Neill and Jeter practice swings in the batter's box they over emphasized the down swing.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I've heard Mike Schmidt say he did that. (Schmidt was a color commentator for Sunday Phillies games at home this year, and that's why I heard him.) Schmidt is very critical of the modern emphasis on launch angle.
I don’t have all the names but anyone that grew up playing little league in the late 60’s - 70’s, that was what you were taught and what you heard hitters talk about. Keep in mind- they are talking about where bat meets ball, not the Finnish. The thought was it was going to generate line drives with a back spin that would help it rise over the fence and cut down on pop ups, lazy fly outs and make more contact. Kind of everything that is now fully accepted.

As is common with statistics, people don't understand them and act like they do.

This video does a great explanation.

Launch angle is a result - a data point.
"Launch angle" isn't the problem. It's bad coaching that doesn't understand how to use analytics.

Also - of course agents are going to overemphasize stats that help the image of their players. Their job isn't to be accurate. It's to get their players paid.

As is common with statistics, people don't understand them and act like they do.

"Launch angle" isn't the problem. It's bad coaching that doesn't understand how to use analytics.

Also - of course agents are going to overemphasize stats that help the image of their players. Their job isn't to be accurate. It's to get their players paid.

That was great and backs up much of what I was saying...Watch when they talk about Aaron...

Reactions: retired711

This was very enlightening. Who were the guys?

Shaved head guy is Billy Ripken. This is from MLB Network.
I was thinking he might be, because his face looked similar to Cal Ripken's and they were calling him Billy. I'm sure all of you know that his late father was a major league coach in the Orioles organization for years, and managed them for a while. So Billy knows a lot about baseball.

They all used to do it and not just for power. If you look at Paul O'Neill and Jeter practice swings in the batter's box they over emphasized the down swing.
Practice swings and real swings are very different.

Practice swings and real swings are very different.
Of course they are. Never said they weren't. However it is a routine to promote muscle memory when swinging. Their intention was to keep that their last thought and feel before taking a real swing. It was taught throughout the NY Yankees during the late 90's

So maybe Cashman is finally feeling the heat about the future of his job. It seems some much needed changes are coming. Especially when it comes to the hitting system in place.
"I acknowledge that we’re not as athletic as we’d like to be, and certainly not as contact-oriented as we’d like to be,” Cashman said. “We’ll continue to evaluate all the available choices in the marketplace … to have the best opportunity for the massive success our fan base deserves"
That he finally sees that contact is important in hitting is a big plus. Ignoring strikeouts maybe a thing of the past for the NY Yankees.
Torres is not going back to shortstop, Yankees looking to upgrade SS as a top priority.
On the bad end is he admitted no decision has been made on Sanchez. Anyone in that organization that is even considering keeping Sanchez should be fired.

So maybe Cashman is finally feeling the heat about the future of his job. It seems some much needed changes are coming. Especially when it comes to the hitting system in place.
"I acknowledge that we’re not as athletic as we’d like to be, and certainly not as contact-oriented as we’d like to be,” Cashman said. “We’ll continue to evaluate all the available choices in the marketplace … to have the best opportunity for the massive success our fan base deserves"
That he finally sees that contact is important in hitting is a big plus. Ignoring strikeouts maybe a thing of the past for the NY Yankees.
Torres is not going back to shortstop, Yankees looking to upgrade SS as a top priority.
On the bad end is he admitted no decision has been made on Sanchez. Anyone in that organization that is even considering keeping Sanchez should be fired.
What's ruined Sanchez is he's no longer using all fields when hitting and trying to hit homers rather than make contact. What the Yanks need most are more contact hitters who get on base and fewer home run/ strike out hitters.

Last edited:
What's ruined Sanchez is his no longer using all fields when hitting and trying to hit homers rather than make contact. What the Yanks need most are more contact hitters who get on base and fewer home run/ strike out hitters.
Having Cashman admit that they don't have enough contact hitters is a big change in his mindset. Let's hope this is a real change and not something he is just saying to get an extension.

I’m not quite sure how that makes sense…
He's saying that O'Neill swung down in his practice swing but in game they he didn't actually do that. So it really doesn't matter that his practice swing was emphasizing the downward swing.

What are the actual odds that there is a full season (or any season) this year? Both sides are so far apart and nothing's moved for over 6 months. I think there's a high probability of missed baseball this year.

He's saying that O'Neill swung down in his practice swing but in game they he didn't actually do that. So it really doesn't matter that his practice swing was emphasizing the downward swing.
What?? Go look at videos of O'Neill, Jeter, Bernie, Tino etc and what was their approach in hitting. Practice swing, real swing.

It's funny that Mets fans complain when Yankees fans post on the Mets thread yet they have no issues posting here. Trolls are trolls.

Reactions: NickKnight 1

What?? Go look at videos of O'Neill, Jeter, Bernie, Tino etc and what was their approach in hitting. Practice swing, real swing.
I am with whitebus - baseball, more than almost any other sport relies on muscle memory as well as mental. There is a reason that someone "practices" - you do not practice something that you are not going to do.
And watch the video someone posted about this- swinging down can and will still end up with the barrel of the bat ending with an upward swing- the downward swing keeps your shoulders in place and is downward to the point of contact giving the ball a backspin. You make contact with an up swing and it will have a forward spin which will not help with HR power.

What are the actual odds that there is a full season (or any season) this year? Both sides are so far apart and nothing's moved for over 6 months. I think there's a high probability of missed baseball this year.
It's too soon to know, but I disagree. I remember the 1994 strike, and I remember the damage it did to baseball (including financial damage) I don't think either side wants that to happen again.

Mets thread in a meltdown 😂 Thor played them so bad. If he fails his physical with Angel's he can still accept the Mets qualify offer of $18 mill. Too funny! And they hire a friggen nobody GM . And 2008 mocks us for taking their manager as a 3rd base coach. Called Yankees stupid for taking Mets leftovers. I guess that idiot doesn't understand the difference from a manager and a lowly 3rd base coach.

Mets are just lucky the Yanks waited until after they let Rojas go to offer him a coaching job with the Big Club.

Ha 2008 who says he doesn't come to this thread has proven again he is a troll. What a clown. His IQ Is lower then most Mets pitchers batting average. What a turd!

Mets thread in a meltdown 😂 Thor played them so bad. If he fails his physical with Angel's he can still accept the Mets qualify offer of $18 mill. Too funny! And they hire a friggen nobody GM . And 2008 mocks us for taking their manager as a 3rd base coach. Called Yankees stupid for taking Mets leftovers. I guess that idiot doesn't understand the difference from a manager and a lowly 3rd base coach.
Thor did what is best for him. Mets did the right thing there.
Mets have a “ nobody “ GM but you still have a guy that hasn’t been to a WS going into a 2nd decade.
And Rojas- only hired him as Met’s Manager because our real choice made Yankee fans cry.
WB- biggest Met’s flamer and crybaby ever
To the rest of you..most are pretty ok…he just causes his own pain

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Mets fans just lucky that the Yanks didn't offer Rojas that third base coach job until after the Mets got rid of him.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Look Mets fans posting on a Yankees thread about people posting on the Mets thread. You can't make this shit up. Mental midgets.
You have a problem with midgets? Btw- honest truth- when responding to your dumb posts, I just assume it was in the Met’s thread. You do tend to flame more on there than post on the Yankee thread.
So, my apologies to making my post in the Yankee’s thread…

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT