ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Draft

Redskins having a heckuva draft

Sweat is a steal that late in the 1st round.

Giants taking Jones instead of Haskins looks like Blackledge over Marino

Jets picked a beast, Good pick.

Devin White will be a long time All Pro

Raiders look like they have no clue what they are doing
Pretty much nailed it. Bills and Eagles did well too. If giants did not love Haskins, I would have traded for Rosen and drafted Allen and OL.

Redskins having a heckuva draft

Sweat is a steal that late in the 1st round.

Giants taking Jones instead of Haskins looks like Blackledge over Marino

Jets picked a beast, Good pick.

Devin White will be a long time All Pro

Raiders look like they have no clue what they are doing
Your last point was your best. How in the world can you take Clelin Ferrell with Josh Allen still on the board at the same position.Josh Jacobs at 24 give me a break.

Happy the Steelers traded up to get a replacement for Ryan Shazier.

Who did they trade with and what did they give up to move ? I thought the Bengals would take Bell at #11 (guess they did too)
Broncos, gave up their #20 pick and a second round pick. Also, I think a 3rd round pick in 2020. Pretty high price, but this was someone they really wanted.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Vikings took a center, good pick, need offensive line help

What's the story with Arizona ? They pick a QB last year 10th overall. He played a bit with mediocre results (not unexpected for a rookie) now, a year later they throw in the towel and pick another QB ? Not the way to run a franchise, imo

Reactions: beaced
What's the story with Arizona ? They pick a QB last year 10th overall. He played a bit with mediocre results (not unexpected for a rookie) now, a year later they throw in the towel and pick another QB ? Not the way to run a franchise, imo

New coach hitching career to Murray .

If you hit on a franchise QB - nobody ever says "but look at what they had to trade for him!".

If Murray is a star - nobody will care about Rosen being #10 pick the year before.
Arizona new staff thinks Murray is it - then go for it.

I would buy low on Rosen though - like was said not sure if you can accurately guage him based on last years terrible staff.

Look at it this way- if the Giants end up #1 next year, do you pass on Tua just because they took Jones at #6 this year?

Could be they are admitting a mistake made last year in picking Rosen and/or thinking Josh doesn't fit the type of offense they will be changing to and Murray looks like he'll thrive in it based on how he played at Oklahoma last year
The Card's OL was a mess last year and that hurt their rookie QB's play and put the experienced one ( with bad knees) they planned to be the 2018 starter out to pasture.

Murray is a make it or lose your job pick for the Card's GM and how he handles Rosen will mean a lot to.
The Cards probably couldn't get a draft choice position high enough for the value they put on Rosen before the draft and now I would guess they'll look for a player to trade Josh for to fill a position of need before next season starts.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Thought the Jets should have drafted Winovitch vs Polite. Understand it may have been a defensive scheme issue with Polite playing in a 3-4, however I always liked Winovitch’s ability to put his hands in the dirt and get to the QB. I don’t like Mac and his drafts overall.

Tonight's 2nd round, I unofficially count :

14 from SEC
4 from Pac 10
3 from Big``12
2 from ACC
2 from Big 10
2 from MAC
2 from AAC
and Hawaii, UMass, Delaware

Tonight's 2nd round, I unofficially count :

13 from SEC
4 from Pac 10
3 from Big``12
2 from ACC
2 from Big 10
2 from MAC
2 from AAC
and Hawaii, UMass, Delaware, missing 1 I think

I count 3 BIG players - Sanders, Campbell and Jones not that it’s a major difference
Edit: thought you were also counting the 3rd round where Jones was picked

Thought the Jets should have drafted Winovitch vs Polite. Understand it may have been a defensive scheme issue with Polite playing in a 3-4, however I always liked Winovitch’s ability to put his hands in the dirt and get to the QB. I don’t like Mac and his drafts overall.
I going to reply to my own post because I’m disgusted. Winovitch to the Pats. Figures. Now he can torment the Jets for the next decade. That’s the difference between a well managed organization and a bunch of dumb asses.

First round was:

SEC -- 9
ACC -- 7
Big Ten -- 7
Big 12 -- 3
Pac-12 -- 3
Independent -- 1
AAC -- 1
FCS - 1

Of the Big10s 9 players drafted In the first 2 rounds:

Ohio St 3
Michigan 2
Iowa 2
Penn St 1
Maryland 1

That's 8 from the BIG East and 1 from the West.

I going to reply to my own post because I’m disgusted. Winovitch to the Pats. Figures. Now he can torment the Jets for the next decade. That’s the difference between a well managed organization and a bunch of dumb asses.
Winovich is already 24 years old so he isn’t going to be in the league 10 years let alone tormenting the Jets that long.

Polite is definitely a risk, but the Jets already tried the “did nothing in actual football games, but kicked ass in the draft process” route with Vernon Gholston and had it blow up in their face, so maybe Polite will work out because he is the complete opposite.

Could be they are admitting a mistake made last year in picking Rosen and/or thinking Josh doesn't fit the type of offense they will be changing to and Murray looks like he'll thrive in it based on how he played at Oklahoma last year
The Card's OL was a mess last year and that hurt their rookie QB's play and put the experienced one ( with bad knees) they planned to be the 2018 starter out to pasture.

Murray is a make it or lose your job pick for the Card's GM and how he handles Rosen will mean a lot to.
The Cards probably couldn't get a draft choice position high enough for the value they put on Rosen before the draft and now I would guess they'll look for a player to trade Josh for to fill a position of need before next season starts.
I’m not a big fan of Rosen, but I am sympathetic to him in one area due to my experience of watching Rutgers. He hasn’t played for the same offensive coordinator two years in a row since he was in high school.

Winovich is already 24 years old so he isn’t going to be in the league 10 years let alone tormenting the Jets that long.

Polite is definitely a risk, but the Jets already tried the “did nothing in actual football games, but kicked ass in the draft process” route with Vernon Gholston and had it blow up in their face, so maybe Polite will work out because he is the complete opposite.

It’s all a guess however the probability of Winovitch being a productive every down player is higher then this kid. Winovitch may not be the best athlete and has been criticized for his burst, however, his competitive toughness and ability to also play the run will get him on and keep him on the field. Polite who admittedly I didn’t watch a lot of this year, is at best a 3rd down pass player and even then probably only has one role of seeking out the QB and from an outside LBer position. At this stage I’ll take Winovitch every day of the week.

Outside of the first round, Mac’s drafts stink. I have no doubt he’ll eventually lose his job if the Jets ownership have any smarts.

It’s all a guess however the probability of Winovitch being a productive every down player is higher then this kid. Winovitch may not be the best athlete and has been criticized for his burst, however, his competitive toughness and ability to also play the run will get him on and keep him on the field. Polite who admittedly I didn’t watch a lot of this year, is at best a 3rd down pass player and even then probably only has one role of seeking out the QB and from an outside LBer position. At this stage I’ll take Winovitch every day of the week.

Outside of the first round, Mac’s drafts stink. I have no doubt he’ll eventually lose his job if the Jets ownership have any smarts.
Nothing you said about Winovich and Polite is wrong, but when you look at what the Jets real need is, the higher ceiling of Polite's pass rush (even if he is only a situational player) makes him a great fit for the Jets.

If you were comparing the two in January, they wouldn't be considered close . Polite's historically bad performance in the draft process can't be ignored, but the Jets have so much history with the "workout warrior that never did anything on the field" type players failing, that I am willing to bet that someone who was the exact opposite will work out.

I am with you on Macc in general, though. I still need someone to explain to me why the Jets traded a seventh round pick yesterday to move up one spot from 93 to 92 while the Cowboys were still on the clock at 90 and eventually picking the guy (McGovern) we should have been after.

Reactions: RURM85
Looks like the Jets are going to be the fun metro area team to watch. If it wasn't for Barkley the Giants would be throwbacks to the 70s. Where's Mendenhall when you need him?

Nothing you said about Winovich and Polite is wrong, but when you look at what the Jets real need is, the higher ceiling of Polite's pass rush (even if he is only a situational player) makes him a great fit for the Jets.

If you were comparing the two in January, they wouldn't be considered close . Polite's historically bad performance in the draft process can't be ignored, but the Jets have so much history with the "workout warrior that never did anything on the field" type players failing, that I am willing to bet that someone who was the exact opposite will work out.

I am with you on Macc in general, though. I still need someone to explain to me why the Jets traded a seventh round pick yesterday to move up one spot from 93 to 92 while the Cowboys were still on the clock at 90 and eventually picking the guy (McGovern) we should have been after.

My view is definitely biased. I watched 1-2 Florida games this past season and was focusing on their opponent compared to watching every Michigan game. My basis is solely reading about Polite.

My concern about Polite is not so much the Combine results or the bad attitude, it's the reasons behind the results. Supposedly he shows up 20 lbs heavier than playing weight with hamstring issues and proceeds to have a bad Combine. The reason he probably adds the 20 lbs from a playing weight of approx. 240 pounds (true LBer weight) is a perceived knock that he needs to gain mass and strength because he can't shed tackles and is poor in re-directing his movement when being blocked. There's also a question mark about his pass coverage skills with many NFL defenses nowadays going to nickel with 4-2 and 3-3 fronts. I see more yellow flags with Polite compared to an edge rusher in Winovitch who will put his hands in the dirt and play on the line with huge motor and toughness.

Totally agree on Mac. What's he doing? Trades a draft pick to move up one spot probably afraid another team is going to move 1 spot ahead of the Jets to draft the same USC OT? I also agree on a versatile lineman in McGovern who can play Center. He should have been the target. For me I'm ok with Mac's first round draft picks through the years. He uses logic and typically gets it right. It's the rest of the draft where it falls apart for me with his picks. And he's supposed to be the Scouting guru?

The Dolphins thank the Cards for giving Josh a year of NFL experience.Go Fins. (Home team)

Reactions: MADHAT1
The Dolphins thank the Cards for giving Josh a year of NFL experience.Go Fins. (Home team)
The way Arizona handled speculation on who their #1 pick would be and Rosen rumors , made sure other teams knew thay could wait and get AZ to commit to a deal like AZ gave them.
To add insult to injury, the Dolphins' originally were talking about giving their 2nd round pick when it was #48, but seeing how desperate they were to trade,the Dolphins set the Saints the 48th and 116th overall picks for the 62nd and 202nd picks this year, plus a 2020 second-round pick. Then traded that 62nd choice and a 2020 fifth rounder for Rosen.

Seems like the Card GM needs to learn not to show his hand and maybe come out with a better deal next time he needs to trade a player.
This trade was good for Miami, because Arizona handled drafting Murray so ineptly and in the process made it impossible for Josh to want to stay a Cardinal, making trading Rosen right away a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: beaced
Totally agree on Mac. What's he doing? Trades a draft pick to move up one spot probably afraid another team is going to move 1 spot ahead of the Jets to draft the same USC OT? I also agree on a versatile lineman in McGovern who can play Center. He should have been the target. For me I'm ok with Mac's first round draft picks through the years. He uses logic and typically gets it right. It's the rest of the draft where it falls apart for me with his picks. And he's supposed to be the Scouting guru?
Now Maccagnan seems to be following the unique strategy of building a defense that is strong up the middle with Williams, Mosley and Adams while on offense not caring that he doesn’t have a Center.

Reactions: RURM85
ADVERTISEMENT