ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Free Agency

Last edited:
My gut - and talk we're hearing - is Anders Lee. Who is actually the type of forward the Devils need but I'm having a hard time getting onboard with handing him a monster contract, Lee comes across as the type of player who will regress to being a 15-20 scorer after getting a big contract, and I'm not saying he'll sit back and take it easy when he cashes in because by all accounts he sounds like a player of good character, I just sense it won't work here. Plus big forwards tend to decline once they get to or near 30 years old, for example Rick Nash, he scored 42 goals when he was 30 and he already had eight 30 goal seasons under his belt, the next four seasons he totaled 77 goals and never came close to a 30 goal season again.

Milan Lucic - he had five 20 goal seasons (with a high of 30 goals in 2010-2011) before he turned 29, the last two seasons just 16 goals in 161 games and he's only 31.

If we sign Lee I fear we will regret it in a couple years.

As a Rang

As a Ranger fan looking from the outside, I think the Devils should be checking into whether Lehner is disillusioned by how much effort the Isles are making to sign Bobrovsky after Lehner had a great year.

He would be a major improvement the Devils goaltending which was a weakness.

Not a bad idea.

Lehner is an upg to the washed up Schneider

Panarin to Rangers..7 yrs 11.6 annually.

Great player but that’s a lot of money...

If thats going to be similar to Hall wants..I trade him before the season.

BOOM! Panarin takes less money to come the elite hockey team in the area. MSG has a pull. A little more seriously, lots of money, but the Rangers have done a nice job building via the draft, so they have flexibility.

The rebuild is over! :)

BOOM! Panarin takes less money to come the elite hockey team in the area. MSG has a pull. A little more seriously, lots of money, but the Rangers have done a nice job building via the draft, so they have flexibility.

Now if they could get out of that albatross of a goalie contract, they would be in good shape.

Reactions: T2Kplus10

Next summer will be a bloodbath for the Rangers. Going to have 5 or 6 contracts to renew with just a few million in cap space.

Great player, btw. But going to be tough

Devils sign Wayne Simmonds.

While I don’t hate it (it’s only for 1 year) don’t really get it either.

Next summer will be a bloodbath for the Rangers. Going to have 5 or 6 contracts to renew with just a few million in cap space.

Great player, btw. But going to be tough
What are you talking about???

The only relevant contracts expiring after this year are Kreider, Strome and Namestnikov, and the expectation is that at least one if not two will be traded this summer.

None of their ELCs end until the year after, when $25 million drops off their cap.

The Rangers are in great shape with the cap for the foreseeable future barring any crazy moves.

The only relevant contracts expiring after this year are Kreider, Strome and Namestnikov, and the expectation is that at least one if not two will be traded this summer.

None of their ELCs end until the year after, when $25 million drops off their cap.

The Rangers are in great shape with the cap for the foreseeable future barring any crazy moves.
+1
Sounds good to me.

Good move because of the short term. I had read that Simmons was looking for 3-4 year deals, which would have been crazy.

If anyone thinks they will push Hughes around because he is still a little light, Simmons will put an end to that.

Good move because of the short term. I had read that Simmons was looking for 3-4 year deals, which would have been crazy.

If anyone thinks they will push Hughes around because he is still a little light, Simmons will put an end to that.
So will the other guy.

+1
Sounds good to me.

Sure, if they trade 2 or three of them they’ll be in good shape.

I wouldn’t say they’re in good shape now

Wrong again.

If they sign Trouba for the expected $7.5-8 million deal they will have $2+ million in cap space left with the only business left to complete being the bridge deals for Buchnevich, Deangelo and Lemieux. Burying Beleskey and Smith in the minors clears another $2 million, and only about $4 million (one player) will need to be cleared.

And before you chime in with another fallacy about how their long term cap is a problem, the Skjel, Zbad, Panarin and (soon to happen) Trouba deal are the only contracts they have that extend past the 2020-21 season.

Wrong again.

If they sign Trouba for the expected $7.5-8 million deal they will have $2+ million in cap space left with the only business left to complete being the bridge deals for Buchnevich, Deangelo and Lemieux. Burying Beleskey and Smith in the minors clears another $2 million, and only about $4 million (one player) will need to be cleared.

And before you chime in with another fallacy about how their long term cap is a problem, the Skjel, Zbad, Panarin and (soon to happen) Trouba deal are the only contracts they have that extend past the 2020-21 season.

Only thing I’ve claimed is their cap for next summer is going to be a problem. And it will be. Unless they trade someone or two.

Only thing I’ve claimed is their cap for next summer is going to be a problem. And it will be. Unless they trade someone or two.
Which is still incorrect because beyond the fact the Rangers have no intention of resign all three players who be UFAs if they kept them, they theoretically could if they wanted to because the Beleskey contract ends and the Dan Girardi buyout reduces by almost $3 million.

Bad day for the Islanders. Not only did they lose out on Panarin, but he's going to the Rags. Now the Isles will probably have to overpay to keep Lee and the same for Lehner.

Which is still incorrect because beyond the fact the Rangers have no intention of resign all three players who be UFAs if they kept them, they theoretically could if they wanted to because the Beleskey contract ends and the Dan Girardi buyout reduces by almost $3 million.

Agree to disagree.

Montreal just offer sheeted Aho for 5 years at 8.45. That is only a 1st, 2nd 3rd as compensation. The deal is front loaded with 21 million paid over the next 12 months, and CAR doesnt like to throw cash around.

I will be pissed if Montreal gets him for that little.

Montreal just offer sheeted Aho for 5 years at 8.45. That is only a 1st, 2nd 3rd as compensation. The deal is front loaded with 21 million paid over the next 12 months, and CAR doesnt like to throw cash around.

I will be pissed if Montreal gets him for that little.
I think Carolina attitude is thanks for doing the dirty work but will wait till the last minute to match so to tie up the Habs to making any other moves.

What compensation level is he on?

He's a beast on the power play, is a good guy in the locker room and he's a very tough son of a bitch that will help protect our young talent like Jack and Nico.

He's also one player who I feel never gets the proper recognition, for example he went a four-year stretch with the Flyers where he scored 120 goals, that averages out to 30 a season. The guy is a tough hockey player with skill, come Xmas time Devils fans are going to be in total swoon over him.

Nobody knows if the rangers signings were good or bad until @RU Cheese weighs in. That guy has studied the cap space for many yearsHe was there when the Rangers built it in the early 90s. He called for the drafting of lundqvist. Think of him as our Francessa here. He is just as fat too.

I’ll sit back and wait for him to break it all down.

At least it's only for 1 year. 30+ year old player with diminishing stats. Hmm.
Looks like the Devils have cap space...so they get a tough veteran winger with good screening abilities and good reach around the net. I'm not sure who Devils fans consider their sniper to be...but I'm thinking that you'll see plenty of Subban blasting away on the power play with Simmonds screening in front.

ADVERTISEMENT