ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Off Season Thread

The Rangers are just never going to change.

Seven years?? They probably gave him a NMC as well.

If the kid line, and Miller. play as well next season as they did in the playoffs there is no way the Rangers can afford to sign all of them next offseason.

If the kid line, and Miller. play as well next season as they did in the playoffs there is no way the Rangers can afford to sign all of them next offseason.

Nothing to argue with what you've said.

Sooner or later, they always find a way to visit (salary) Cap Hell. Self imposed to boot.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I'm not loving the Bradan Smith signing. I get that he is a reliable extra defenseman, but personally I would prefer to play a young player like Bahl.

As I'm typing this the NYR just signed G Halak.

Hopefully Trocheck gets a boost in his production by playing on the same line as Panarin. I just hate the 7 years. Probably good for the first 4 and then cross your fingers for the last 3 (and then who needs to get paid among the young guys).

I'm not loving the Bradan Smith signing. I get that he is a reliable extra defenseman, but personally I would prefer to play a young player like Bahl.

As I'm typing this the NYR just signed G Halak.
Halak is a good signing.

Tampa giving 8 year contracts to 1) Sergachev 2) Cirelli and 3) Cernak.
I remember listening to a Rangers podcast before trade deadline 2017. They had a Tampa beat writer on talking about a potential McDonough trade and remember clear as day that the TB writer said the Rangers were after Sergachev or Foote, but were going to have settle for guys like Cirelli or Cernak.

Instead, we got Howden and Hayek.

Happy with this. Tough player, excellent on face-offs (which the NYRs have sucked at for a long, long time).

Didnt Brandon Smith play with the Rangers for a few seasons?
Yes, and the worst stretch of his career coincided with being coached by Lindy Ruff.

I like Smith for the Devils. Plays tough. Stepped up and fought Tom Wilson after the infamous game two years ago, even though he knew he was going to take done big shots.

Yes, and the worst stretch of his career coincided with being coached by Lindy Ruff.

I like Smith for the Devils. Plays tough. Stepped up and fought Tom Wilson after the infamous game two years ago, even though he knew he was going to take done big shots.

So a depth defenseman that can drop the mitts?

Happy with this. Tough player, excellent on face-offs (which the NYRs have sucked at for a long, long time).

Little Vinny ?

According to you, his size is “little”. 😆😉

• Haha
The Rangers just unload Nemeth to Arizona by paying a 2nd rounder.

Good move, only made necessary by one of last year’s bad signings.

True. But NYR were always going to get a ~5M 2C here.

I think KK gets bridged for 2@2.5. So, he will be probably be under contract, but can still be moved. For sure between those 4 you mentioned, something will have to give next year. Unless they drop LINDGREN or talk TROUBA into reuniting in DET with his buddies, one of those 4 kids may be gone.

I think the cap is slated to go up a lot the following year. Just bad timing for NYR and all those kids.

True. But NYR were always going to get a ~5M 2C here.

I think KK gets bridged for 2@2.5. So, he will be probably be under contract, but can still be moved. For sure between those 4 you mentioned, something will have to give next year. Unless they drop LINDGREN or talk TROUBA into reuniting in DET with his buddies, one of those 4 kids may be gone.

I think the cap is slated to go up a lot the following year. Just bad timing for NYR and all those kids.
My problem is more with the term. The Rangers have a bunch of guys in their early 20’s and keep signing contracts with other guys that will last until their mid 30’s.

When the young core of the Rangers is at its peak 2-4 years from now the team will be held back by a lot of declining players in their 30’s with NMCs.

My problem is more with the term. The Rangers have a bunch of guys in their early 20’s and keep signing contracts with other guys that will last until their mid 30’s.

When the young core of the Rangers is at its peak 2-4 years from now the team will be held back by a lot of declining players in their 30’s with NMCs.
Does he have a full NMC? That would be very Rangery, lol.

Out of nowhere, Columbus comes in and grabs Geaudreau. Devils & Isles fans will be disappointed as all day those were the two teams being mentioned.

No surprise, when you consider he was dragging his heels. He wanted the Flyers, and when they didn't come up with the cap space, decided Columbus was easier to play for, then the NJD or NYI.

I would now look for a trade for the Devils, say Tarashenko. With the hard cap, and not much size up front, this could be a blessing in disguise.

Smith is a good signing for the Devils. His best days are clearly behind him - they were when he was in NY - but is a good veteran presence a young Devils team.

I also think NJ lucked out with Johnny G. I dont think he's the type of player you want to commit that money / term to. Put it this way, as a Rangers fan, I was hoping they signed him.

It's simply unbelievable that no one has inked Ryan Strome yet! </sarcasm>

Smith is a good signing for the Devils. His best days are clearly behind him - they were when he was in NY - but is a good veteran presence a young Devils team.

I also think NJ lucked out with Johnny G. I dont think he's the type of player you want to commit that money / term to. Put it this way, as a Rangers fan, I was hoping they signed him.
I actually agree.

Gaudreau taking less to go to Columbus instead of staying in Calgary is wild. If you aren’t coming home, this just seems so out of left field to me

Gaudreau taking less to go to Columbus instead of staying in Calgary is wild. If you aren’t coming home, this just seems so out of left field to me
Columbus over Calgary isn't that surprising to me because it's obviously significantly closer to home, but Columbus over NJ is crazy to me (but I'm glad he didn't go to NJ)

I can't tell if you've seriously never heard of Andrew Brunette or if you're just trying to downplay the signing because it's the Devils. He was a solid player in the NHL for 16 years, played over 1000 games, and coached the Panthers to a Presidents Trophy this year. Fun fact--he was the last player to score on Patrick Roy. His overtime goal in Game 7 of the 2003 Western Conference quarterfinals ended Roy's career and clinched the Wild's first playoff series win after trailing the series 3-1.

Devils also just signed Ondrej Palat. 5 years with a cap hit of $6 million. I like it, coming in off of three straight finals appearances in which he was a key contributor. This team could use a proven winner.

I can't tell if you've seriously never heard of Andrew Brunette or if you're just trying to downplay the signing because it's the Devils. He was a solid player in the NHL for 16 years, played over 1000 games, and coached the Panthers to a Presidents Trophy this year. Fun fact--he was the last player to score on Patrick Roy. His overtime goal in Game 7 of the 2003 Western Conference quarterfinals ended Roy's career and clinched the Wild's first playoff series win after trailing the series 3-1.

Devils also just signed Ondrej Palat. 5 years with a cap hit of $6 million. I like it, coming in off of three straight finals appearances in which he was a key contributor. This team could use a proven winner.
If it was another team I would say that is a bit high for Palat, and I wouldn’t want to give 5 years to a guy that old, but with the Devils available cap space and where they are as a team that is a good signing.

ADVERTISEMENT