ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHLPA board approves league's plan for 24-team playoffs upon coronavirus return

T2Kplus10

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2010
Interesting formal. Still no Devils. :)

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...ague-plan-24-team-playoffs-coronavirus-return

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Top seeds: Boston Bruins (1), Tampa Bay Lightning (2), Washington Capitals (3), Philadelphia Flyers (4)
Play-in series: Pittsburgh Penguins (5) vs. Montreal Canadiens (12), Carolina Hurricanes (6) vs. New York Rangers (11), New York Islanders (7) vs. Florida Panthers (10), Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (9)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Top seeds: St. Louis Blues (1), Colorado Avalanche (2), Vegas Golden Knights (3), Dallas Stars (4)
Play-in series: Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12), Nashville Predators (6) vs. Arizona Coyotes (11), Vancouver Canucks (7) vs. Minnesota Wild (10), Calgary Flames (8) vs. Winnipeg Jets (9)

If they go with this plan, the two big questions still to be decided are:

Do the losers of the play in round get in the draft lottery, or just the 7 teams that were completely left out?

Will it be the normal lottery rules or the old rule where a team can only move up 4 spots (as was rumored)?

If they go with this plan, the two big questions still to be decided are:

Do the losers of the play in round get in the draft lottery, or just the 7 teams that were completely left out?

Will it be the normal lottery rules or the old rule where a team can only move up 4 spots (as was rumored)?
I would have to imagine the 7 teams left off would be the only ones who could get the #1 pick. Every other team would be slotted accordingly to their final record once they are eliminated. If they don’t have any warm up games, you will see a ton of randomness in the outcomes.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I would have to imagine the 7 teams left off would be the only ones who could get the #1 pick. Every other team would be slotted accordingly to their final record once they are eliminated. If they don’t have any warm up games, you will see a ton of randomness in the outcomes.
While the play-in games are going on, the top 4 seeds of each conference will play round robins games for updated seeding and warm-up games.

So does this mean that theres 7 teams too many in the NHL if they cant get a legit season with all of their organizations?

So teams that aren’t in are just done, I assume? I had 7 devils tix for the end of March that are just on hold. It was supposed to be my sons’ first game, along with my parents for my dad’s bday, so super bummed it couldn’t happen

So does this mean that theres 7 teams too many in the NHL if they cant get a legit season with all of their organizations?

Would assume that there has to be some revenue sharing plan to ensure the 7 teams outside the playoffs aren’t completely disadvantaged by being left out.

You would think that, but I have read it is still in question, and one of the options still being considered is to slot the play-in round losers as teams 8-15 in the lottery (in reverse order of points) that would have the normal rules where even team 15 has a tiny chance at #1.

So teams that aren’t in are just done, I assume? I had 7 devils tix for the end of March that are just on hold. It was supposed to be my sons’ first game, along with my parents for my dad’s bday, so super bummed it couldn’t happen
They got a lot of resistance from the 7 teams that would have to go through an extended training period just to play what to them would be meaningless games, and it also makes sense to leave them out just to reduced the overall number of people potentially exposed.

I thought the NFL couldn't be topped with, hey if you hire a black coach you can move up draft slots, then the NHL comes out with this stupidity. NBA is coming off the top rope though...just wait 2 weeks.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I thought the NFL couldn't be topped with, hey if you hire a black coach you can move up draft slots, then the NHL comes out with this stupidity. NBA is coming off the top rope though...just wait 2 weeks.
I think the NHL is getting a little too much heat for the 24 team format.

Teams played different totals of games so you just couldn’t go by the standings. You could go by points per game, but even that isn’t particularly fair to teams who thought they had 10-12 games left when the season abruptly stopped.

The 24 team playoff includes the 24 teams, 12 per conference, who were at .500 or above when the season unexpectedly ended. That is pretty clean.

Interesting formal. Still no Devils. :)

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...ague-plan-24-team-playoffs-coronavirus-return

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Top seeds: Boston Bruins (1), Tampa Bay Lightning (2), Washington Capitals (3), Philadelphia Flyers (4)
Play-in series: Pittsburgh Penguins (5) vs. Montreal Canadiens (12), Carolina Hurricanes (6) vs. New York Rangers (11), New York Islanders (7) vs. Florida Panthers (10), Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (9)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Top seeds: St. Louis Blues (1), Colorado Avalanche (2), Vegas Golden Knights (3), Dallas Stars (4)
Play-in series: Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12), Nashville Predators (6) vs. Arizona Coyotes (11), Vancouver Canucks (7) vs. Minnesota Wild (10), Calgary Flames (8) vs. Winnipeg Jets (9)
Still worried about the Devils are you ? You SHOULD be happy about the Devils situation, it means the media darlings can't be eliminated by their rival from New Jersey yet again.

They don’t all make the playoffs in the regular season, so no.
It’s a clear and desperate money-making enterprise. It will be hilarious if the no-doubt shitty 24th rated team wins it all in this clear welfare move...it’s hockey though...so more power to them.

It’s a clear and desperate money-making enterprise. It will be hilarious if the no-doubt shitty 24th rated team wins it all in this clear welfare move...it’s hockey though...so more power to them.
That’s what you play a series than just one game.

Could there be an upset? Sure. It’s sports, that can happen.

But IMO it says more about the higher seed than anything else.

Last edited:
Man people will complain about anything but I haven't seen anyone come up with a more fair and feasible format.

24 team playoff...LOL is this the professional sports version of a participation trophy??
It wouldn't be fair to the teams on the bubble to just take the normal amount of teams since the season was abruptly ended. Since those teams weren't given the opportunity to fight for playoff spots and the teams in the last few spots weren't forced to maintain their place in the standings, the play-in round essentially replaces the home stretch of the regular season. After the play-in round, we are left with 16 teams and it's basically the same as a normal postseason from here on out.

Aside from the Rangers and Philadelphia, I want Columbus to get knocked out asap

I'll never forget that the maniac who shot Dimebag to death was wearing a Blue Jackets jersey
That's ridiculous, that one asshole obviously isn't representative of the Blue Jackets or their fanbase. It's not like the Blue Jackets had some sort of issue with Dimebag, the guy just happened to be wearing their jersey at the time. I'm sure there are plenty of Blue Jackets fans that are also Pantera fans.

16 makes the playoffs, not 24.
Yeah, after a season with a defined endpoint. This one didn't have that, so abruptly ending the season at a point that nobody was expecting it to end and then restarting with a normal postseason would rob the teams on the bubble of a chance to fight for a playoff spot, and it would unfairly reward the teams in the last few playoff spots who would normally have to keep winning games to maintain their spot. Since there was no home stretch to the point where everyone played 82 games, the play-in round replaces that so that you have to win your way into the 16-team bracket.

Last edited:
Not one player kneeled for the anthems before the Carolina vs New York game.

If you're looking for a sport without left wing politics shoved down your throat, there are hockey games on all day on NBC and NBCSN.

Last edited:
Not one player kneeled for the anthems before the Carolina vs New York game.

If you're looking for a sport without left wing politics shoved down your throat, there are hockey games on all day on NBC and NBCSN.
You mean you can watch a game, enjoy its strategy and athleticism without having some numbnut announcer lecture you? I’ve never watched hockey and would not have a clue what I’d be seeing but at least it’s JUST a game vs unrequested social commentary!!

You mean you can watch a game, enjoy its strategy and athleticism without having some numbnut announcer lecture you? I’ve never watched hockey and would not have a clue what I’d be seeing but at least it’s JUST a game vs unrequested social commentary!!
You’re Texas now, right?

When it all calms down try and see one in person if you can. No matter what level...

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Pro-hockey-booming-in-Texas-760404.php

Lots of fun live and in person.

Reactions: robcac26
Games today have been close and fast paced. Hockey still has as good a playoffs as there is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT