ADVERTISEMENT

OT- NHRA Drag Racing

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
This is insane. After each run they pull the motor and rebuild it in about an hour. They have on mechanic for the block, one for pistons, one for clutch, and yet another mechanic for super charger. They try and get the car up to 400 degrees (normal car runs at 120 degrees) before the run and they are reaching 300+ mph in under 4 seconds.

Most cars opens its thermostate @ about 180 F and operates @ around 200 F.

This is insane. After each run they pull the motor and rebuild it in about an hour. They have on mechanic for the block, one for pistons, one for clutch, and yet another mechanic for super charger. They try and get the car up to 400 degrees (normal car runs at 120 degrees) before the run and they are reaching 300+ mph in under 4 seconds.

What car runs at 120 degrees

Yeah they blow the doors off those NASCAR kids. It's absolutely crazy how fast those guys are going by the time they hit the brakes. The top fuel cars have 10,000 horsepower and finish in less than 4 seconds all the time.

The blocks are air cooled. They lack the water jackets used for water cooling in order to strengthen the block. All based off of the Chrysler 426 Hemi (obviously very modified). Pistons are the size of coffee cans. If you have ever been to see them in person, the feeling in your body is other worldly.

Reactions: Beancounter88
The top fuel cars have been measured at 180 decibels. You must see it in person to appreciate it. The jet cars are something else altogether with the afterburners lit.

Reactions: Piscataway
Grew up near Raceway Park. It is a spectacle to see once in your life - speed and sound is incredible. Fun night when they have open competition and people race in their homemade cars.
I grew up in a nearby town and could hear the nitromethane cars loud and clean during the Summernationals. I went a bunch of times and loved it growing up. You just don't hear or see the cars go down the track, you feel them. Amazing experience. I'm just still annoyed that they shortened the track for Top Fuel and Funny Cars from 1/4 mile to 1000 feet. I know why they did it, but it still feels very lame.

Reactions: RUsSKii
I grew up in a nearby town and could hear the nitromethane cars loud and clean during the Summernationals. I went a bunch of times and loved it growing up. You just don't hear or see the cars go down the track, you feel them. Amazing experience. I'm just still annoyed that they shortened the track for Top Fuel and Funny Cars from 1/4 mile to 1000 feet. I know why they did it, but it still feels very lame.
I live roughly 5 miles east of Raceway Park. During the Summer Nationals, my house shakes. One year I was cutting the grass, lawnmower going with ear protection on, and I could hear them.

Reactions: DirtyRU and RUsSKii
Yeah, it's just not the same thing. Then again, the cars are way nore powerful than they were 30 years ago too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT