ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Diet?

RU_PAYBACK

All American
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2008
Anyone ever try this NJ Diet deal? I hear it advertised on WFAN a lot. I'm just assuming it's an equivalent of one of these fad diets?

Anyone ever try this NJ Diet deal? I hear it advertised on WFAN a lot. I'm just assuming it's an equivalent of one of these fad diets?
I know two people who did it.
First person lost 40 pounds or so and gained back 20 over time.

Second person similar results but seems to have gained back most of the weight lost.

IIRC, cost was $2-3K. One of the things I did not like (from what I heard), is under the plan, you are not supposed to exercise. That sounded dumb.

Losing weight is hard, especially when you get in your 40's and 50's. There is no better diet plan than eating less and moving (exercising) more. Calories burned>>Calories consumed.

NJ.diet seems to do that, but the lack of exercise was concerning.

Second person similar results but seems to have gained back most of the weight lost.

IIRC, cost was $2-3K. One of the things I did not like (from what I heard), is under the plan, you are not supposed to exercise. That sounded dumb.

Losing weight is hard, especially when you get in your 40's and 50's. There is no better diet plan than eating less and moving (exercising) more. Calories burned>>Calories consumed.

Thanks. That cost is outrageous! You're right..... You need a caloric deficit/portion control, exercise, and consistency... A few things that I've faltered on lately!

Thanks. That cost is outrageous! You're right..... You need a caloric deficit/portion control, exercise, and consistency... A few things that I've faltered on lately!
Easier said than done.
One thing you may want to try - time restricted feeding. Basically, you eat within a 8 or 9 hour window, and fast the rest of the time, consuming only water. It is not as hard as it sounds. Many people will eat dinner, and not eat anything else until late the next morning.

Joe Rogan has had on several guests who have discussed it:

All these types of diets are fad scams.

If you are seriously about losing weight just ask your doctor, they will give you paperwork to follow. You can also just go to a
Dietician which is covered by most insurance. They can create a meal plan just for your medical needs.

Easier said than done.
One thing you may want to try - time restricted feeding. Basically, you eat within a 8 or 9 hour window, and fast the rest of the time, consuming only water. It is not as hard as it sounds. Many people will eat dinner, and not eat anything else until late the next morning.

I have sort of been doing this for 6 months now. Went from 180 down to 153 just yesterday.

I dont starve myself completely though. I eat a light salad for lunch thats about 300 Calories. Have 2 eggs in 1 slice of bread for breakfast. Eat a normal dinner. Also do intense aerobic exercise atleast 5 times a week.

Its working really well.

Last edited:
There is no better diet plan than eating less and moving (exercising) more. Calories burned>>Calories consumed.

This sounds so simple. It must be true.
Except that it has been proven wrong again and again.

Hormonal systems have much to do with how your body stores and burns energy.
The brain (hypothalamus) directs these systems to restore your body to it's "desired mass". Many people have elevated this "desired mass" over time, probably through consistently elevated blood sugar levels. This exhibits itself as gaining back all the weight one has lost, and often more (no matter the specific diet and / or exercise regime used).

Intermittent fasting has shown to be effective in lowering the "desired mass" levels to break this cycle.

The brain (hypothalamus) directs these systems to restore your body to it's "desired mass". Many people have elevated this "desired mass" over time, probably through consistently elevated blood sugar levels. This exhibits itself as gaining back all the weight one has lost, and often more (no matter the specific diet and / or exercise regime used).

Intermittent fasting has shown to be effective in lowering the "desired mass" levels to break this cycle.
There is a lot that is not understood about weight loss. If it was understood and universally applicable, we would all be the ideal weight and in the proper BMI on the poster on our doctors' walls.

Peter Attia has a lot of interesting articles and talks on the general topic of weight, weight loss, etc.

This is worth a watch:

I intermittent fast...it began unintentionally now it has become a lifestyle for the past year. I guess my body has become used to not eating until 1:30-2pm because I'm truly not hungry beforehand. I do however drink coffee (so technically I'm not fasting 100%[eyeroll]) I was big on going out for breakfast and brunch, but I can honestly say I've gone 2 or 3 times since the fasting began.

Easier said than done.

I love Joe.. "Your trainer tells you to eat bread, you fire your f***ing trainer." haha

Reactions: Knight Shift

The no exercise does seem odd.

I work out at the Max and they have a diet plan. I'm down 25 lbs without really following the diet plan, just cutting down. More importantly I've lost 4 inches on my waist, the last 2 without losing any weight.

The no exercise does seem odd.

I work out at the Max and they have a diet plan. I'm down 25 lbs without really following the diet plan, just cutting down. More importantly I've lost 4 inches on my waist, the last 2 without losing any weight.
If there is a Max near you, you should try it out. They allow guests to try it. Its a combination of cardio and weight training. We do cardio on Monday and Wednesday, arms on Tuesday, legs on Thursday and kickboxing on Friday (don't run into me in a dark alley). It costs me $99 per month.

When did bread become satan?

f2b611551b7bf05bcfb86112c50be285.gif

Reactions: czxqa
I have sort of been doing this for 6 months now. Went from 180 down to 153 just yesterday.

I dont starve myself completely though. I eat a light salad for lunch thats about 300 Calories. Have 2 eggs in 1 slice of bread for breakfast. Eat a normal dinner. Also do intense aerobic exercise atleast 5 times a day.

Its working really well.

A day or a week?

I lost 32 pounds about 10 years ago going from 222 to 190 on Jenny Craig for about 1 year at 53 years old. Kept the weight off for 5 years but stop weighting myself and gained to 207 at 59 years old. Lost 30 pounds in 6 months to 177 and now at 182 at 63years old. Going to the doctor in July, expect to be at 175 pounds. I pretty much follow the intermittent fasting, cut carbs and sugar and watch calories.

Coffee for breakfast. For lunch, I’m eating a hamburger (180 cal)with no bread with a small salad. For dinner, some type of protein with vegetables but small portion. My snack is now 6 chicken nuggets (280 cal) or a slice of pizza (250 calories). Other snacks, ice pop sugar free 5 cal, chocolate pudding 8 cal or jello. I occasionally will eat a bag of potatoes chip every couple of days.

I jog and work out almost every day but the exercise doesn’t really make a difference in weight loss unless you run 2-3 miles a day.

Reactions: superfan01
This!! Intermittent Fasting basically allows one's body to essentially reset by depleting glucose levels and using Glycogen for energy and simply put.....essentially using fat for energy instead of sugar.

Coffee should be ok for Intermittent fasting (as long as you don't load up on milk and sugar):). I just started out....... been eating one meal a day for the past several weeks, plenty of water and also continue to have coffee, so far feel great, dropped some weight, don't feel hungry and sleeping much sounder. Actually pretty easy so far.

I intermittent fast...it began unintentionally now it has become a lifestyle for the past year. I guess my body has become used to not eating until 1:30-2pm because I'm truly not hungry beforehand. I do however drink coffee (so technically I'm not fasting 100%[eyeroll]) I was big on going out for breakfast and brunch, but I can honestly say I've gone 2 or 3 times since the fasting began.

I lost 32 pounds about 10 years ago going from 222 to 190 on Jenny Craig for about 1 year at 53 years old. Kept the weight off for 5 years but stop weighting myself and gained to 207 at 59 years old. Lost 30 pounds in 6 months to 177 and now at 182 at 63years old. Going to the doctor in July, expect to be at 175 pounds. I pretty much follow the intermittent fasting, cut carbs and sugar and watch calories.

Coffee for breakfast. For lunch, I’m eating a hamburger (180 cal)with no bread with a small salad. For dinner, some type of protein with vegetables but small portion. My snack is now 6 chicken nuggets (280 cal) or a slice of pizza (250 calories). Other snacks, ice pop sugar free 5 cal, chocolate pudding 8 cal or jello. I occasionally will eat a bag of potatoes chip every couple of days.

I jog and work out almost every day but the exercise doesn’t really make a difference in weight loss unless you run 2-3 miles a day.

BOTH jog and work out every day? What does the workout consist of?

By intermittent fasting are you fasting 2 days a week (5/2) or something else?

Has anybody tried HIIT training, namely the Sprint-8 method, which their advocates say shreds weight better than jogging? This seems like a gimmick, like NJDiet:
https://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/BodyXerciseLibrary/Intervals/index.htm

The Sprint 8 includes 2 minute warmup, and 8 intervals of 30 second bursts of all out activity followed by 90 second rest periods. I have been doing this on a Schwinn Airdyne bike, but not long enough to determine if it is successful.

This!! Intermittent Fasting basically allows one's body to essentially reset by depleting glucose levels and using Glycogen for energy and simply put.....essentially using fat for energy instead of sugar.

Coffee should be ok for Intermittent fasting (as long as you don't load up on milk and sugar):). I just started out....... been eating one meal a day for the past several weeks, plenty of water and also continue to have coffee, so far feel great, dropped some weight, don't feel hungry and sleeping much sounder. Actually pretty easy so far.
I eat 1main meal and then small salad and snacks during my "eating time." Oddly enough I haven't lost any weight. I guess because I'm basically eating what I would have in a day in my 5hrs? So for today I'm home so I will go to get some veggie sushi with my father at 2. Then maybe a salad or veggies when my daughter has her dinner so we can sit together. Later on some snacks. I won't eat past 730pm and then I fast until 130-2pm the following day. It does seem like a long time to go without food, but I'm honestly not hungry. There have been times that when I can't sleep I want to grab the Oreos at 3am, but I distract myself and the urge passes. lol It's more of discipline and control for me.

I hit 100 days doing this...energy levels higher, I work out a lot of the time during the fast and am not tired.

very easy to fast once you do it a day or two...the first day was hell. Now I can go 17 hours without trouble. I skip breakfast.

you can drink coffee, but has to be black. drink a lot of water.

Easier said than done.

Reactions: Jm0513
I eat 1main meal and then small salad and snacks during my "eating time." Oddly enough I haven't lost any weight. I guess because I'm basically eating what I would have in a day in my 5hrs? So for today I'm home so I will go to get some veggie sushi with my father at 2. Then maybe a salad or veggies when my daughter has her dinner so we can sit together. Later on some snacks. I won't eat past 730pm and then I fast until 130-2pm the following day. It does seem like a long time to go without food, but I'm honestly not hungry. There have been times that when I can't sleep I want to grab the Oreos at 3am, but I distract myself and the urge passes. lol It's more of discipline and control for me.
I eat the Oreos, and it is totally worth it. But that only happens once every 6 or 8 weeks.

I hit 100 days doing this...energy levels higher, I work out a lot of the time during the fast and am not tired.

very easy to fast once you do it a day or two...the first day was hell. Now I can go 17 hours without trouble. I skip breakfast.

you can drink coffee, but has to be black. drink a lot of water.
What is a "lot" of water. Usually drink 2 liters of lightly flavored seltzer, and at least 32 ounces of regular water per day.

Has anybody tried HIIT training, namely the Sprint-8 method, which their advocates say shreds weight better than jogging? This seems like a gimmick, like NJDiet:

The Sprint 8 includes 2 minute warmup, and 8 intervals of 30 second bursts of all out activity followed by 90 second rest periods. I have been doing this on a Schwinn Airdyne bike, but not long enough to determine if it is successful.
My jogging is somewhat HIIT training with 1 minute jogging and 1 minute walking for a mile trying to get the heart rate up to 135-140. Sometime twice a day. The workout is light weights chest press and leg press and dumb bells at home for arm curls. I only want to get more tone, I use to get big easily when I lifted.

You have to weight yourself at least every week but I do it every day and some days expect to lose a pound a day when I’m strict with the diet. I gain when I don’t weight myself for a couple of months.

The intermittent fasting is every day skipping breakfast and only coffee and lunch at 11:00 and dinner at 6-7:00. I’m not strict about the diets but using a combination of diets helps. I still might have 1-2 big bags of potatoes chips a week. Once I stop the chips, I will lose the weight fast. I eat like my old self at BBQ, parties and occasions and drink once a week but a lot less.

Last edited:
Alot of people do Intermittent Fasting wrong at the beginning.

It should be called "Intermittent Eating".
You are still supposed to eat the same amount - just condensing the time.

You still need to get all your calories/macros (protein, carbs, fats) within the eating time.

A bad example:
12pm-8pm eating time.
Well I'll skip breakfast and just eat Lunch and Dinner.

That is starving yourself.
You may lose weight initially but its not sustainable and will lead to "snacking" and eating convenient crap.

Alot of people do Intermittent Fasting wrong at the beginning.

It should be called "Intermittent Eating".
You are still supposed to eat the same amount - just condensing the time.

You still need to get all your calories/macros (protein, carbs, fats) within the eating time.

A bad example:
12pm-8pm eating time.
Well I'll skip breakfast and just eat Lunch and Dinner.

That is starving yourself.
You may lose weight initially but its not sustainable and will lead to "snacking" and eating convenient crap.
I guess this is why I haven't lost any weight because as I said I am still eating what I would have normally just now in a shorter time frame.

Reactions: NickRU714

You might not be eating enough actually.
Body needs fuel to burn - especially if you are active.

If you arent fueling it enough, it will cling to fat stores and slow down metabolism.

I guess this is why I haven't lost any weight because as I said I am still eating what I would have normally just now in a shorter time frame.

Your supposed to eat the same amount - not less.

Intermittent Eating is about giving your body and cells time to focus on other activities (not just digesting foods).

Repair inflammation and fix broken cells.

It's not about restricting amount of food.
Its about restricting timing of eating.

I thought the HIIT training did help loss weight but I was feeling something strange with my heart when it was getting up to 150 BPM especially in my sixties. The recommendations is no more than 140 BPM.

No-one on this board needs to go on a diet. Refer to the waist size thread.

So true. Losing weight is 10% what we do in the gym and exercise and 90% what we do at the dinner table.

Portion control is a big factor imo as well as adopting a healthy eating plan. Reducing your appetite over time is important.

I lost 30# two years ago while in my 60’s, a difficult time in life to lose weight after carrying it for 20 years. Maintaining the weight loss is a difficult challenge. I weigh myself first thing every morning and if I’m up a few pounds I go to the spartan eating plan for that day. The difference in overall health between 195 and 228 is literally huge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT