ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Hiking Trails

Jm0513

All American
Aug 16, 2018
Suggestions please..🍃 I have hiked Mills, South Mountain, Palisades Interstate Park, Watchung Reservation (plus a bunch of others) and I'm bored.
I need some new scenery and variety.
Many of us are in different parts of NJ, so I figure this is the best place for feedback.
I use the app All Trails. It's pretty helpful.

I 2nd the Patriots Path, Columbia Trail, and/or any of the backroads of Long Valley, Tewksbury, Oldwick, Bedminster area. Not a tremendous amount of elevation, but if you're simply in it for the outdoors, horse farms, nice views, etc., it's great. Plus, the Black River General Store in Pottersville has great coffee and sandwiches. Nice area.

Hartshorne Park in Atlantic Highlands is a great place. Hike up to the top and there are ocean and NYC views.

Always liked Schooley Mtn Park in Morris, too.

Can't forget Hacklebarney.

I forgot about Hartshorne Woods -- it's one of those places that, you could live in the area forever, and never know it's there. And then you go, and then you get lost, and then they find you eaten.

Suggestions please..🍃 I have hiked Mills, South Mountain, Palisades Interstate Park, Watchung Reservation (plus a bunch of others) and I'm bored.
Many of us are in different parts of NJ, so I figure this is the best place for feedback.
Palisades is fun. Did you make it up the giant stairs?

Reactions: Jm0513
I 2nd the Patriots Path, Columbia Trail, and/or any of the backroads of Long Valley, Tewksbury, Oldwick, Bedminster area. Not a tremendous amount of elevation, but if you're simply in it for the outdoors, horse farms, nice views, etc., it's great. Plus, the Black River General Store in Pottersville has great coffee and sandwiches. Nice area.
And if in the Long Valley area she must go eat at the Long Valley Pub and Brewery about 100 yards from the Columbia Trail. There is also a coffee shop on the trail right there also.

And if in the Long Valley area she must go eat at the Long Valley Pub and Brewery about 100 yards from the Columbia Trail. There is also a coffee shop on the trail right there also.

I recently heard of the Chilton Mill Brewery in Long Valley -- was closed the one time I was in the area in the Fall, but those places are popping up, everywhere. Only thing with the LV Brew Pub, from what I understand, is that they don't brew their own beer, anymore. 😢.

Some of the most beautiful places to hike are in the Wildlife Management Areas. Most of the trails are unmarked, but some are just very long old sand roads with no traffic. These have hunting sections, but there aren’t that many days of the year when people hunt and there is NO Hunting in New Jersey on Sundays I hike even when there is hunting . I just wear orange and there aren’t that many people hunting anyway, especially by Noon.

I recently heard of the Chilton Mill Brewery in Long Valley -- was closed the one time I was in the area in the Fall, but those places are popping up, everywhere. Only thing with the LV Brew Pub, from what I understand, is that they don't brew their own beer, anymore. 😢.
They stopped brewing their own beer a few years ago. When they did brew , they made some tasty stuff. My family and I went there on New Years Eve . They do have a good selection of local beers now. Have not been to Chilton Mill some day I will go. I live about 15 minutes from there . I pass through there coming home from work every day .

They stopped brewing their own beer a few years ago. When they did brew , they made some tasty stuff. My family and I went there on New Years Eve . They do have a good selection of local beers now. Have not been to Chilton Mill some day I will go. I live about 15 minutes from there . I pass through there coming home from work every day .

I know this was about hiking from our resident hiker/drinker/sassy/cool/talented/dog-loving friend, but I can't emphasize just what a breath of fresh air it is to get out to Hunterdon County and spend some time walking and meeting up with folks and enjoying the outdoors. All of the side roads lead to something nice.

Reactions: Jm0513 and goru1869
Allaire State Park is right by your parents. And if @Knight Shift ever decides to start posting here again he can tell you where that lady makes all the dinosaurs out of tree branches in the forest. Plus they have Allaire Village where they have all the historical crafting shops.

Not the best trail out there, but not terrible either. Baldpate Mountain in Titusville, just a couple miles outside Lambertville. Then spend some time in LVille & New Hope.
This. Also, take a quick trip up to Goat Hill Overlook and see where Washington plotted the attack at Valley Forge.

Used to hike as 12-13 year old from Irvington up to the Falls in South Mountain . Then down to Millburn Diamond Mill pond to Vauxhall in Union and then home. Never worried about anything . Just a good time to be young. Today I would hesitate doing that . Never calculated the distance round trip but it was a long day.

Reactions: cicero grimes
The Appalachian Trail in NJ runs from the Water Gap through Stokes State Forest to High Point. From High Point it heads to east for a while before crossing into NY. Sunrise Mt. is a nice hike in Stokes. The trail network around High Point is nice too. Among the most popular is from the Delaware Water Gap to Sunfish Pond. The trail to Sunfish Pond is a lot like the AT in most of Pennsylvania, which is rough. When you ask AT thru-hikers when they considered packing it in, most say Pennsylvania. It's not really a trail so much as large boulders next to one another along the ridge line. Pennsylvania eats boots.

If you are looking for something a little more tame (and bikable), try tow paths along the canals.

Last edited:
Manasquan-Reservoir.jpg

Did that once Johnny with my two Great Pyrenees as pups. Didn't realize it was over 5 miles around. Started off early in the morning, one dog started loafing it the other had to piss on every tree. By 9am I'm carrying Savannah as she wouldn't move, by 10am I'm calling my wife, "how long is this fvcking trail?" By 11am people think I'm an animal abuser as everyone wanted to give us water as my two dogs lay pathetically on the ground panting. I had to thank each one and point to the two bowls of water they weren't drinking. It was a complete and utter disaster.

Grab a hammer and check out ringing rock park in PA. Short hike but you can spend time in the boulder field.

Allaire State Park is right by your parents. And if @Knight Shift ever decides to start posting here again he can tell you where that lady makes all the dinosaurs out of tree branches in the forest. Plus they have Allaire Village where they have all the historical crafting shops.
You know I've passed that sign 1000 times and never gave it any thought. Definitely will check it out. Thanks!!!

OT: Is Howling Woods farm still there? I went in 2016 was a fun experience.

You know I've passed that sign 1000 times and never gave it any thought. Definitely will check it out. Thanks!!!

OT: Is Howling Woods farm still there? I went in 2016 was a fun experience.
Yes, they bring Wolves to Ag Field Day(Rutgers Day) every year. One year I walked our biggest Great Pyrenees(Rawley) next to the cage to see how they compared in size. I wanted to see since Great Pyrenees were breed to fight off Wolves. Rawley's 32" height and about 110 lbs., I looked at him and said, "I don't know about that one buddy".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT