ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ is Second in Nation in Quality of Life

I love NJ, but i”m the last of my siblings here. I would move due to cold winters and high cost of living if my industry (fragrance) wasn't located in the nyc area.

Good public educational system in NJ?

Good Public Education system period? LOLOL

Sure if you want millions of indoctrinated drones.

Tell me again about the literacy rates for inner city graduates in NJ.

do other states only have nice towns and cities?

The comment referencing some of our not so hot cities is not so productive. Every state has issues and run down towns and most have a lot more poverty and shittier education.

bitnez - where are you thinking about moving to? My wife and I can't agree at all where we'd move to. I suffer through these 90+ degree days and never want to spend another summer here - at least not at the shore. and my wife wants to move to Fla where she has family - i'll never live there.

Go to Nebraska or Iowa.

Reactions: Pete in LA
If you love getting taxed to death, far left politics, cold weather, and general bitterness, this is the state for you.
Taxes pay for essential services, don't think NJ's politics are terrible, agree on cold weather, but general bitterness seems to be off. In our experience, North Carolina people seemed to dislike Yankees, and their Southern hospitality came off as disingenuous. Ohio had some of the most parochial and unfriendly people we ever experienced. Upstate NY was kind of OK, but a really boring place to live.

If you don't like NJ leave. If you don't like California leave. I live 16 miles from Disneyland, it's often 68 or 70 degrees in January, I have big orange trees in my backyard and the area is incredibly diverse. People from around the world dream of living where I live. They don't dream about Mississippi. I have a state government which does not always please me and taxes a lot but also will defend me from discrimination and will likely make sure that if the Supreme Court decides to allow health insurance companies to start booting people with pre-existing health conditions like me again that I won't find myself unable to get insurance. Many parts of America offer me few or none of these things. They might be paradise to some but to me they're hell. I don't care about guns or barbecue.

Taxes pay for essential services, don't think NJ's politics are terrible, agree on cold weather, but general bitterness seems to be off. In our experience, North Carolina people seemed to dislike Yankees, and their Southern hospitality came off as disingenuous. Ohio had some of the most parochial and unfriendly people we ever experienced. Upstate NY was kind of OK, but a really boring place to live.
In my experience people and human nature are the same wherever you go.

I moved to California in 1986 for a job - have lived here ever since. I loved growing up and living in New Jersey, but my heart is in California. Both are great states to live in, but neither is perfect.

The state has a lot to offer but it's not for everyone. You can't be poor and live here. The leftists also make it intolerable at times.
I have to say that I have never been the slightest bit troubled by leftists, rightists or any other kind of political ists. It's the easiest thing in the world to ignore political extremists (although not nearly as fun as messing with them).

90+ degree days and never want to spend another summer here - at least not at the shore. and my wife wants to move to Fla where she has family - i'll never live there.
Not bitnez but my wife and I looked at several places. Places where we could buy another farm. We went during their extremes to see what life would really be like, not the social media everything's always perfect here. We stayed at friends we know in each place.

S. Carolina in the summertime I wanted to rip my skin off to get cooler, same with Florida. Montana in the wintertime I didn't want to step outside as even dressing like the Stay Puff Marshmallow man wasn't enough clothes. There's a happy medium out there somewhere, but for right now, my New Jersey farm is where they're going to bury me.

Last edited:
😲 But... but... but how you gonna shoot the guy stealing the last piece of chicken from the grill?
I'll hit him with the skimmer for my inground pool. A great thing about America is that there are different places to go to give you what you want. Lots of people hate New York, for many reasons. Having been around much of the US and the world I love New York and appreciate it more than when I lived nearby--and find some of their places as detestable as they find New York. To each his own but the endless whining from NJ haters is tiresome.

In my experience ppeople and human nature are the same wherever you go.

The best places, imo, are where people are just downright happy to be there and alive. When I moved to CO mountains, having random people walk by and say "Hi" — like when I was on my own porch minding my business — was disconcerting. For a while, had to stifle the NJ part of me tempted to say, "Who the hell you sayin' hi too, you mf." But I did ... successfully.

Recently had the same experience in ID. People just happy to be there.

I have to say that I have never been the slightest bit troubled by leftists, rightists or any other kind of political ists. It's the easiest thing in the world to ignore political extremists (although not nearly as fun as messing with them).
The people who obsess over politics get bothered by such things. But it's very easy to mostly avoid such stuff if you choose.

The state has a lot to offer but it's not for everyone. You can't be poor and live here. The leftists also make it intolerable at times.

The one thing I will agree with is California is generally a crappy place to be poor. A political problem with California (and a lot of states) is the opposition party is so weak. The GOP here has been worthless since they denied Schwarzenegger a speaking gig at the state convention - while he was governor. California needs a moderated GOP to give voters more of a choice.

Not bitnez but my wife and I looked at several places. Places where we could buy another farm. We went during their extremes to see what life would really be like, not the social media everything's always perfect here. We stayed at friends.

S. Carolina in the summertime I wanted to rip my skin off to get cooler, same with Florida. Montana in the wintertime I didn't want to step outside as even dressing like the Stay Puff Marshmallow man wasn't enough clothes. There's a happy medium out there somewhere, but for right now, my New Jersey farm is where they're going to bury me.
If it's during wrestling season, please leave your remaining tickets in your mailbox. I'll sell them for you. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar
I'll hit him with the skimmer for my inground pool. A great thing about America is that there are different places to go to give you what you want. Lots of people hate New York, for many reasons. Having been around much of the US and the world I love New York and appreciate it more than when I lived nearby--and find some of their places as detestable as they find New York. To each his own but the endless whining from NJ haters is tiresome.
110% agree with that (I added the 10 just to piss off people irritated by imprecision in math). And I agree that it's irritating when people whine about where they live (or whine about lots of other stuff that's entirely under their control to change).

The best places, imo, are where people are just downright happy to be there and alive. When I moved to CO mountains, having random people walk by and say "Hi" — like when I was on my own porch minding my business — was disconcerting. For a while, had to stifle the NJ part of me tempted to say, "Who the hell you sayin' hi too, you mf." But I did ... successfully.

Recently had the same experience in ID. People just happy to be there.
These things can happen in pockets of areas and neighborhoods. For example, when we lived near Cincinnati, we briefly lived in a lake community in Indiana, and people were generally friendly. When we moved to the east side of Cincinnati to a nice suburban town, nobody said a thing to us for the time we lived there, except for the lonely old widower across the street who would talk to a statue because he was so lonely.

Upstate NY was a company town, and it was easy to make friends-there were a lot of NJ transplants. North Carolina was OK too in that regard, but the locals really seemed to resent "Yankees." I would tell them, "Hey, I'm a Mets fan."

In NJ, we generally have had good experiences in all the towns we have lived in, with the best being our current town of Wall, where we felt like we knew our neighbors better after a few weeks than we did our neighbors in Rumson, where we lived for quite a few years. Rumson was very parochial, and there seemed to be an investment banking clique. They were unfriendly, just tightly knit.

Reactions: Leonard23 and fsg2
If you want to find something bad to claim a positive ( like quality of life rating) is really a negitive, look hard enough and you'll usually find something.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Same here. I don't reveal my politics to many people, and my everyday life is not impacted by who is in charge of my local, county, State or federal government, perhaps except during the pandemic where some of the restrictions were unnecessarily too strict and silly. Maybe taxes would be lower if one party did not rule Trenton, but both parties seem to find ways to squander money to their special interest groups.

One of the best parts of NJ in my view is people are for the most part in your face and real. You know where you stand with most people pretty quickly. Sure, there are a few phonies, but seem to be a lot less than in other places.

If it's during wrestling season, please leave your remaining tickets in your mailbox. I'll sell them for you. 😉
Doubt we'll move, too much of my blood, sweat and whipping of tools all over put into this place. The conveniences are just too plentiful. I'm the type that always forgets that one bolt or grocery item. If I didn't have a Lowe's or Stop N Shop 5 minutes away my blood pressure would shoot through the roof. Now, if someone could just reopen that movie theater down the street, I wouldn't have to travel farther than a ten mile radius.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Maybe you have not looked closely:

NJ haters always judge NJ by the worst places and other states by their best places. Or they seem to think other places don't have slums or the slums aren't as bad as in NJ. Actually, places like Paterson, Trenton and Newark are not especially horrible as far as urban slums go. Camden is the only that is really close to rock bottom.

Reactions: KevH and ldwnmas
The one thing I will agree with is California is generally a crappy place to be poor. A political problem with California (and a lot of states) is the opposition party is so weak. The GOP here has been worthless since they denied Schwarzenegger a speaking gig at the state convention - while he was governor. California needs a moderated GOP to give voters more of a choice.

When you let leftists run a state you are left with the very rich, people on public pensions and illegal immigrants. There is no middle class left in your state. NJ isn't far behind.

When you let leftists run a state you are left with the very rich, people on public pensions and illegal immigrants. There is no middle class left in your state. NJ isn't far behind.
When you let righties run a state you have tons of poor, few rich, and few businesses so you have to lure them with low taxes.

How did this thread become political? NJ is a good place to live because it has good people from all backgrounds working hard to make it a better place.

yes, the taxes are high, but you get what you pay for.

to the folks complaining about policy and cost, it’s obvious by the kind of kids we raise that we are doing fine. I don’t mean just smarter kids either. They are also healthier, generally safer, and happier in general, and at the end of the day, that’s the measure we want to live by.

I feel your pain. My wife and I both want to stay in NJ but I want to downsize and move to the western side of the state. She wants to stay where we are. I got outvoted 1-0.
Your wife only carries one vote? 😁
My wife outvotes the kids and me 4-3 every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT