ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ is Second in Nation in Quality of Life

NJ is great at just about everything, I just wished it wasn't so expensive.
NJ = great state, with complete garbage in the capital (and many counties/town halls).

This state has a government problem and it's not going to get better.

My advice to any New Jerseyan who threatens, promises, or wishes to move to another state is: By all means do so. It'd be a win-win. You would likely increase the average IQ in BOTH states.🙂

Rob Riggle Laughing GIF by Channel 7

Reactions: RUScrew85
Here is how NJ compares to some other states:

Per capita income
NJ #4
TX #34
FL #29
NC #36

Life expectancy
NJ #8
TX #24
FL #10
NC #36

Murder rate
NJ #38
TX #25
FL #27
NC #13

Poverty rate
NJ #47
TX #14
FL #20
NC #16

If NJ is so horrible these places are all worse.

I have to say that I have never been the slightest bit troubled by leftists, rightists or any other kind of political ists. It's the easiest thing in the world to ignore political extremists (although not nearly as fun as messing with them).
Truth!

Here is how NJ compares to some other states:

Per capita income
NJ #4
TX #34
FL #29
NC #36

Life expectancy
NJ #8
TX #24
FL #10
NC #36

Murder rate
NJ #38
TX #25
FL #27
NC #13

Poverty rate
NJ #47
TX #14
FL #20
NC #16

If NJ is so horrible these places are all worse.
All states are a mixed bag. The gems of NJ are suburban towns with cities being awful on all these metrics.

Haters gonna hate. I love it here in NJ. We have it all, including self-loathing and complaining. Love them too. We are all in this together.

Small snippet from article:

WalletHub factored in cost of living with job opportunities, quality of education and safety. The Garden State was second overall behind Massachusetts — though it was 48th in cost of living just ahead of Hawaii and California. Mississippi ranked last overall in this year's study.

"With only two states less affordable on the list, New Jerseyans must feel like they are getting their money's worth," said Rich Stanton of Stanton Company Realtors in Montclair. "Being from here, it's easy to take everything it has to offer for granted. Good schools, food quality and variety, four seasons and our proximity to New York, Philly, beaches and mountains
."

Hmm. NJ is only mid-pack when using a more comprehensive approach:

Some states shine in health care. Some soar in education. Some excel in both – or in much more. The Best States ranking of U.S. states draws on thousands of data points to measure how well states are performing for their citizens. In addition to health care and education, the metrics take into account a state’s economy, its roads, bridges, internet and other infrastructure, its public safety, the fiscal stability of state government, and the opportunity it affords its residents.

More weight was accorded to some state measures than others, based on a survey of what matters most to people. Health care and education were weighted most heavily. Then came state economies, infrastructure, and the opportunity states offer their citizens. Fiscal stability followed closely in weighting, followed by measures of crime and corrections and a state's natural environment.

The best places, imo, are where people are just downright happy to be there and alive. When I moved to CO mountains, having random people walk by and say "Hi" — like when I was on my own porch minding my business — was disconcerting. For a while, had to stifle the NJ part of me tempted to say, "Who the hell you sayin' hi too, you mf." But I did ... successfully.

Recently had the same experience in ID. People just happy to be there.
I live in Morris County and have random people walk by and say hello to me every single day, multiple times a day while I sit on my front porch. Last happened 5 minutes ago.

Reactions: fsg2 and MADHAT1
Man you have a lot of time to spend on the internet huh? LOLOL.

OK you win. NJ is the best.
Quite honestly, NJ has more worse areas that Iowa, but that is a function of being in a densely populated state between NYC and Philadelphia. It was a wasted day at work. I have some time to make up tonight.

NJ isn't actually that cold.

Why do people act like the rest of the country is the tropics?

Haven't read the rest of the thread because it's probably filled with trash.

I did always love the "Rutgers needs a cold weather, Northeast, run heavy offense. Pass first won't work here like in the South."

Our season ends on Thanksgiving weekend. We'll before snow is a concern.
At best we get 1 mild snow game a year (and usually zero).

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2

I did always love the "Rutgers needs a cold weather, Northeast, run heavy offense. Pass first won't work here like in the South."

Although remember a lot of games are played in places in the Midwest, which can be colder and sloppier late in the Fall. But lots of those teams don't have three yards and a cloud of dust offenses.

If you don't like NJ leave. If you don't like California leave. I live 16 miles from Disneyland, it's often 68 or 70 degrees in January, I have big orange trees in my backyard and the area is incredibly diverse. People from around the world dream of living where I live. They don't dream about Mississippi. I have a state government which does not always please me and taxes a lot but also will defend me from discrimination and will likely make sure that if the Supreme Court decides to allow health insurance companies to start booting people with pre-existing health conditions like me again that I won't find myself unable to get insurance. Many parts of America offer me few or none of these things. They might be paradise to some but to me they're hell. I don't care about guns or barbecue.
You’re a lucky sob. California is awesome, esp Orange County. You may get taxed to death and have crazy left politics but at least you have awesome climate and geography that WAY more than offsets the bad. CA>>>NJ. Not even close. Doesn’t even feel like the same planet.

Reactions: brgRC90

Ha, reminds me of the "I need an AWD SUV with auto-chains for the harsh, snowy NJ winters ...suggestions?" or "let's argue for 3 weeks about the potential for 1.5 in of snow."

West Virginia Mountaineers say hello. And they never got to tip the halftime plow operator. Worth the watch for the Eric LeGrand cameo.

Second Half:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Please don't derail a good thread. Thank you.
While I agree with you about that, and it's clear the guy is trolling, I confess I laughed out loud at "aunteefa". Would have been even funnier if it was "Aunt Eefa".

He joined with a premium account, so he can work on his trolling game on the CE board. I had years of pleasure trolling political obsessives there before I got bored with it.

Were Trenton, newark, Camden, AC, that whole nasty bunch of towns near the oranges excluded?

😉

ps: no dog in this fight…I will likely never set foot in the state again…has nothing to do with disliking it, but every acquaintance and family member left it long ago…
Good riddance

This is correct - the conservative leaning people begrudgingly look at these sorts of articles and don't want to admit that this is a pretty decent state, so I was sort of bringing that to light a bit with my comments.
While I agree with you about that, and it's clear the guy is trolling, I confess I laughed out loud at "aunteefa". Would have been even funnier if it was "Aunt Eefa".

He joined with a premium account, so he can work on his trolling game on the CE board. I had years of pleasure trolling political obsessives there before I got bored with

Reactions: LBusDoor90
You’re a lucky sob. California is awesome, esp Orange County. You may get taxed to death and have crazy left politics but at least you have awesome climate and geography that WAY more than offsets the bad. CA>>>NJ. Not even close. Doesn’t even feel like the same planet.
It's certainly crowded and expensive/too highly taxed but it's laughable to hear people bad mouthing one of the best places to live on the planet and calling it a sh thole and extolling how wonderful South Carolina is. They're drowning in propaganda in right wing cuckoo land. Last year my brother and I were in Disneyland on January 20 for his birthday and it was 79 degrees and flowers were blooming everywhere. There is snow in the mountains at high altitude in winter if you want to hike up there like I used to do. Redwoods, desert, Sierra Nevada, Hollywood history, wine tastings, people who actually work out--what a horrible place. Gimme me guns guns guns, waffle houses, evangelical churches and lib'r'l hatin'! They can stay in Dixie. It's already too crowded here. Bye!

Last edited:

He joined with a premium account, so he can work on his trolling game on the CE board. I had years of pleasure trolling political obsessives there before I got bored with it.
Pronouns!!! How do we know "he" is the proper pronoun. You are likely to upset those throwing silly, non sequiturs at that side if you don't use the proper pronoun. In this instance, it is "they." It was a really crappy troll and a non sequitur. People on both sides can't help themselves. It's like them labeling people in this South as stupid and poorly educated. Just dumb.

As has been stated by numerous posters here, nobody likes high taxes, and with one party rule in the legislature for a very long time, it is easy to point at one party. But as I pointed out, because, like you, I am more moderate/centrist, we had a two term Governor from the other party, and not much was accomplished in lowering taxes. IIRC, we got a gas tax increase. So it goes, but the thread should not be derailed by hack trolling. This is a great state to live in, and like every other state (someone from California pointed this out), all states have their flaws.

Pronouns!!! How do we know "he" is the proper pronoun. You are likely to upset those throwing silly, non sequiturs at that side if you don't use the proper pronoun. In this instance, it is "they." It was a really crappy troll and a non sequitur. People on both sides can't help themselves. It's like them labeling people in this South as stupid and poorly educated. Just dumb.

As has been stated by numerous posters here, nobody likes high taxes, and with one party rule in the legislature for a very long time, it is easy to point at one party. But as I pointed out, because, like you, I am more moderate/centrist, we had a two term Governor from the other party, and not much was accomplished in lowering taxes. IIRC, we got a gas tax increase. So it goes, but the thread should not be derailed by hack trolling. This is a great state to live in, and like every other state (someone from California pointed this out), all states have their flaws.
The first part is...off-topic? The second part is on-point and I agree...see, not too hard!

NJ is the best

Tons of walkable towns and cities with every amenity
Diversity of every kind
The shore and the mountains
Busy international airport
Freedom to control your own body and enjoy substances of your choice
Any kind of food at your fingertips
Best schools and healthcare
Rutgers

Only thing that annoys me is the heat in the summer and cold in the winter but you're never going to have perfect weather anywhere.

And yes good things cost money. I will never understand how adults insist there's free rides in life. The number of people who run back to NJ from the rest of the country is testament to that.

These days a lot of people determine what the "good" and "bad" places are based almost solely on politics. Liberals hate Texas, conservatives hate California. Liberals MUST love anything San Francisco does however nutty, conservatives MUST cheer anything Florida does however extreme and mean-spirited. It doesn't matter if government policies really won't affect you all that much, they're descending into tribalism. However, some things can be measured: some places do have more wealth, fitter people, coastlines, mountains, museums, people with college degrees. On this count many blue states and cities do undeniably well, regardless of whether you're in danger of having to share a bathroom with a transgendered person. New York had 66.6 million visitors before Covid hit, the most of any US city, including 14 million foreign visitors, also the most. There must be some reason. If you don't like cities that's fine but to call the place a dump, as some posters so often do here, in no small way because of politics, is to be in an extreme minority. It would be like me saying Florida's beaches are all ugly because I don't like DeSantis.

This is correct - the conservative leaning people begrudgingly look at these sorts of articles and don't want to admit that this is a pretty decent state, so I was sort of bringing that to light a bit with my comments.
Both cons and Libs do the same kind of thing. But yeah. Still, it’s probably best to confine those sorts of posts to the CE board. The mods would prefer it.

I’m hoping to move to the state of Bliss.

It's certainly crowded and expensive/too highly taxed but it's laughable to hear people bad mouthing one of the best places to live on the planet and calling it a sh thole and extolling how wonderful South Carolina is. They're drowning in propaganda in right wing cuckoo land. Last year my brother and I were in Disneyland on January 20 for his birthday and it was 79 degrees and flowers were blooming everywhere. There is snow in the mountains at high altitude in winter if you want to hike up there like I used to do. Redwoods, desert, Sierra Nevada, Hollywood history, wine tastings, people who actually work out--what a horrible place. Gimme me guns guns guns, waffle houses, evangelical churches and lib'r'l hatin'! They can stay in Dixie. It's already too crowded here. Bye!
I'd join you out there if I could convince my wife to move. Absolutely love it.

Reactions: brgRC90
These days a lot of people determine what the "good" and "bad" places are based almost solely on politics. Liberals hate Texas, conservatives hate California. Liberals MUST love anything San Francisco does however nutty, conservatives MUST cheer anything Florida does however extreme and mean-spirited. It doesn't matter if government policies really won't affect you all that much, they're descending into tribalism. However, some things can be measured: some places do have more wealth, fitter people, coastlines, mountains, museums, people with college degrees. On this count many blue states and cities do undeniably well, regardless of whether you're in danger of having to share a bathroom with a transgendered person. New York had 66.6 million visitors before Covid hit, the most of any US city, including 14 million foreign visitors, also the most. There must be some reason. If you don't like cities that's fine but to call the place a dump, as some posters so often do here, in no small way because of politics, is to be in an extreme minority. It would be like me saying Florida's beaches are all ugly because I don't like DeSantis.
Hey brg. Not to hijack this thread, but I'm thinking of renting a place a place for the winter in the orange county / anaheim area. Any recommendations of cool downs to rent in that area or the greater LA vicinity? Thanks!

You missed the point of that. Bigotry of ne states is bad
I mean, is it bigotry if what he said is factually accurate? 😀

I kid, I kid. And I understood your point. I just like being a douchebag.

Speaking of which, is it also bigotry to generalize negatives across people outside the US? Like when people use the term “Chicoms” to broadly refer to the Chinese disparagingly? After all, over 1.5B people in China are merely citizens and aren‘t involved in geopolitics. Hell, they have less say about what their government does than we do here in the US. It‘s not like they can vote their national leaders out of office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT