ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ is Second in Nation in Quality of Life

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Haters gonna hate. I love it here in NJ. We have it all, including self-loathing and complaining. Love them too. We are all in this together.

Small snippet from article:

WalletHub factored in cost of living with job opportunities, quality of education and safety. The Garden State was second overall behind Massachusetts — though it was 48th in cost of living just ahead of Hawaii and California. Mississippi ranked last overall in this year's study.

"With only two states less affordable on the list, New Jerseyans must feel like they are getting their money's worth," said Rich Stanton of Stanton Company Realtors in Montclair. "Being from here, it's easy to take everything it has to offer for granted. Good schools, food quality and variety, four seasons and our proximity to New York, Philly, beaches and mountains
."

200w.gif

When I was a kid, I didn't appreciate it. It was only after I spent two years at Ohio State and 4 years at Syracuse that I really began to see it for what it has to offer. It has, arguably, the best location on the planet, as has been noted above.

I now live in Tucson but miss NJ a lot and am looking forward to finally getting back there in September for the first time since January 2020. The main benefits of Tucson, besides being a much nicer place than Phoenix, are the low cost of living and the fact that I don't have to shovel snow. Aside from those things, NJ has much more to offer.

Haters gonna hate. I love it here in NJ. We have it all, including self-loathing and complaining. Love them too. We are all in this together.

Small snippet from article:

WalletHub factored in cost of living with job opportunities, quality of education and safety. The Garden State was second overall behind Massachusetts — though it was 48th in cost of living just ahead of Hawaii and California. Mississippi ranked last overall in this year's study.

"With only two states less affordable on the list, New Jerseyans must feel like they are getting their money's worth," said Rich Stanton of Stanton Company Realtors in Montclair. "Being from here, it's easy to take everything it has to offer for granted. Good schools, food quality and variety, four seasons and our proximity to New York, Philly, beaches and mountains
."

Complete BS. We all know we’re #1!!!!

Were Trenton, newark, Camden, AC, that whole nasty bunch of towns near the oranges excluded?

😉

ps: no dog in this fight…I will likely never set foot in the state again…has nothing to do with disliking it, but every acquaintance and family member left it long ago…

That's always going to be subjective, of course. If you like open spaces or warm winters New Jersey does not offer a great quality of life for you. But it is a well-educated, affluent, relatively healthy place, more than most, which makes all the New Jersey bashing sound so absurd. The places these people come from are not nearly as well-developed.

Were Trenton, newark, Camden, AC, that whole nasty bunch of towns near the oranges excluded?

😉

ps: no dog in this fight…I will likely never set foot in the state again…has nothing to do with disliking it, but every acquaintance and family member left it long ago…
Actually the suburbs around Trenton are really seeing a huge revitalization and parts of Trenton are seeing great growth also.

That's always going to be subjective, of course. If you like open spaces New Jersey does not offer a great quality of life for you. But it is a well-educated, affluent, relatively healthy place, more than most, which makes all the New Jersey bashing sound so absurd. The places these people come from are not nearly as well-developed.

NJ is always near the top in education and income levels, and cost of living.

I ask NJ bashers, “So do do you think highly educated people with high incomes and plenty of job opportunities choose to pay a lot to live in NJ because they don’t like it here?”

NJ is always near the top in education and income levels, and cost of living.

I ask NJ bashers, “So do do you think highly educated people with high incomes and plenty of job opportunities choose to pay a lot to live in NJ because they don’t like it here?”
I've always been a statistics geek so I like looking at things like per capita income, life expectancy, obesity rates, state GDP, job production, immigration numbers, etc from government sites. I know what the facts are as opposed to people's perceptions, which are often wildly inaccurate. And often the people with the biggest misconceptions about how great their states are(not) have the loudest opinions. The South is the worst in this regard. Those states may be growing but with relatively few geographic exceptions they do very poorly on most counts.

I think it’s cool people like it here. My tank is empty on this place. Once my older kids head to college I am hoping to get out of here and not come back.
But that might change. I know a lot of New Yorkers, city people, who have moved back after decades in places like California or Florida. Different places appeal to you at different stages of life.

I can't wait to leave. Though our 2A rights have recently been un-denied.

I've always been a statistics geek so I like looking at things like per capita income, life expectancy, obesity rates, state GDP, job production, immigration numbers, etc from government sites. I know what the facts are as opposed to people's perceptions, which are often wildly inaccurate. And often the people with the biggest misconceptions about how great their states are(not) have the loudest opinions. The South is the worst in this regard. Those states may be growing but with relatively few geographic exceptions they do very poorly on most counts.
Said it in another thread. We moved around quite a bit after college. North Carolina, Indiana/Ohio (border near Cincinnati), and upstate NY. We spend a lot of time in Arizona. None compare to NJ, and perhaps down the road, we will go to Arizona (or maybe Florida) to escape the winter weather. But then we will have a problem with the summer weather. 🤷‍♂️

😉

Nj sucks, no way this article is close to accurate. If it weren't for Rutgers, nj would reallllly suck

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Actually the suburbs around Trenton are really seeing a huge revitalization and parts of Trenton are seeing great growth also.
Yup. I mean, the area around Washington's Crossing, which is just a bit north of Trenton, is pretty beautiful, at least along the river.

😉

ps: no dog in this fight…I will likely never set foot in the state again…has nothing to do with disliking it, but every acquaintance and family member left it long ago
do other states only have nice towns and cities?
I think it’s cool people like it here. My tank is empty on this place. Once my older kids head to college I am hoping to get out of here and not come back.
The comment referencing some of our not so hot cities is not so productive. Every state has issues and run down towns and most have a lot more poverty and shittier education.

bitnez - where are you thinking about moving to? My wife and I can't agree at all where we'd move to. I suffer through these 90+ degree days and never want to spend another summer here - at least not at the shore. and my wife wants to move to Fla where she has family - i'll never live there.

I can't wait to leave. Though our 2A rights have recently been un-denied.
There is still some way to go w/gun rights. But yes, at least we're now able to defend ourselves outside our homes and workplaces, which was a big limitation prior to the recent SCOTUS decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT