ADVERTISEMENT

OT- NJ is the Best State to Live In

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
According to a Wallet Hub. Five equally weighted categories: (1) Pork Roll availability (2) Courteous Drivers (3) Weather (4) Beaches (5) Pizza Quality!!

Actually, based on affordability, economy, education and health, quality of life and safety.

1. New Jersey
  2. Massachusetts
  3. New York
  4. Idaho
  5. Minnesota
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Utah
  8. New Hampshire
  9. Iowa
  10. Pennsylvania
  11. Vermont
  12. Virginia
  13. Wyoming
  14. Florida
  15. North Dakota
  16. Colorado
  17. South Dakota
  18. Illinois
  19. Maine
  20. Nebraska
  21. Montana
  22. Connecticut
  23. Maryland
  24. Kansas
  25. Michigan
  26. Ohio
  27. California
  28. North Carolina
  29. Indiana
  30. Washington
  31. Missouri
  32. Delaware
  33. Texas
  34. Tennessee
  35. Georgia
  36. Rhode Island
  37. Arizona
  38. Oregon
  39. Kentucky
  40. West Virginia
  41. Alabama
  42. Hawaii
  43. Oklahoma
  44. Nevada
  45. Arkansas
  46. South Carolina
  47. Mississippi
  48. Louisiana
  49. Alaska
  50. New Mexico
Fully agree. Down the shore everything is all right!!!

Was just talking to a friend today, saying that NJ is top notch for access to medicine/health, education, NYC and Philly, beach, jobs, farmland and hiking, and a whole bunch of other things . . . BUT, if you want to drive to the market for some milk, it might take effing forever, due to all the traffic.

Need to up their beer game.
Found this at Costco in Edison today.. fingers crossed its a good one.. it is PINK ! with a white head.. umm.. it's very "wet" a little sweet for beer.. there was some other german grapefruit beer I tried before that I liked better... but I could see this being a good thirst-quencher if you like grapefruit... the other one.. Schofferhofer Hefeweizen Grapefruit.. I like better.. i think because it's a hefeweizen and I really crave that stuff in the summer.
gr-vorlage.png

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
This is one weird list. The problem with a list like this is that no one lives in the entire state. You live in one residence in one neighborhood in one city. Unless you are super rich. I live in California and am blessed enough to own a home in a nice part of a great small city. The idea that Idaho or Iowa or Ohio (lol) would be a better place to live than California is ridiculous. Unless you live in Mexicali or Bakersfield.

Colorado should be in the top 5. New Mexico is far from the worst state to live in the USA.

If you like running tracks,North Jersey is the Mecca.No other place on Earth has anywhere near the publicly available tracks.Any other place,the tracks are closely attached to the schools who treat outsiders as if they're Adam Lanza.

For other categories,any place is great if you're wealthy.

Reactions: scripts
130 craft beers in such a small state is not bad?

No, not really.
NJ
134 craft breweries
180k barrels produced 18th in the US
.08 Gallons per 21 year old and up. 45th in the US
2 breweries per capita 18th in US
Economic Impact $1.8 mill 18th US

PA
444 craft breweries
3.2 million barrels produced 2nd in the US
10.1 gallons for 21+ produced 3rd in the US
4.6 breweries per capita 19th US
Economic Impact $5.6 mill 2nd in the US

No, not really.
NJ
134 craft breweries
180k barrels produced 18th in the US
.08 Gallons per 21 year old and up. 45th in the US
2 breweries per capita 18th in US
Economic Impact $1.8 mill 18th US

PA
444 craft breweries
3.2 million barrels produced 2nd in the US
10.1 gallons for 21+ produced 3rd in the US
4.6 breweries per capita 19th US
Economic Impact $5.6 mill 2nd in the US
Pensyl mother $/(@in tucky blows.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
It’s so great that it’s one of the few states that has negative migration. In 2020, NJ was #6 in net negative migration, with #1 being the worst…. Not good. Also, US News just came out with their report, which includes many, if not all of the categories listed above and NJ came out #19.
The rankings are basically useless. How does one have PA at #10 and the other at #40 with most of the same categories?

Lastly, NJ’s biggest city was ranked in the top 10 for being the saddest and unhappiest
City.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUaMoose
If you like running tracks,North Jersey is the Mecca.No other place on Earth has anywhere near the publicly available tracks.Any other place,the tracks are closely attached to the schools who treat outsiders as if they're Adam Lanza.

For other categories,any place is great if you're wealthy.
Interesting.. I recall being up in Mass in the spring and marvelled at how people seemingly crawled out of the caves they wintered in and all ended up at local HS tracks to jog at the first break in the winter weather.

It’s so great that it’s one of the few states that has negative migration. In 2020, NJ was #6 in net negative migration, with #1 being the worst…. Not good. Also, US News just came out with their report, which includes many, if not all of the categories listed above and NJ came out #19.
The rankings are basically useless. How does one have PA at #10 and the other at #40 with most of the same categories?

Lastly, NJ’s biggest city was ranked in the top 10 for being the saddest and unhappiest
City.
Welcome to NJ. You are free to leave if you don't like it. We don't care, and we're staying.
It's no secret retirees leave NJ for warmer and cheaper states.
NJ has high salaries, great public schools, great food and restaurants and proximity to two great cities with lots of sports and entertainment options.

I prefer lists that value only the factors I deem important and put my favorite states at the top, my least faves at the bottom.

This list is untrustworthy.

NY is a mess - and its the "educated" people doing much of the damage. The more exclusive the school the more indoctrinated they are. Thankfully people are recognizing the problem although its too late for NYC.

Why I Stopped Hiring Ivy League Graduates​

Was just talking to a friend today, saying that NJ is top notch for access to medicine/health, education, NYC and Philly, beach, jobs, farmland and hiking, and a whole bunch of other things . . . BUT, if you want to drive to the market for some milk, it might take effing forever, due to all the traffic.
The thing about is taking forever is that I have 4 grocery stores plus a Target that sells groceries within 4 miles of my house but Because of the traffic and lights, it’ll take me just as long to run to any of them as it would someone in the middle of nowhere that has to drive 20 miles to get milk

It is a great state. Two weeks ago, I went camping on the banks of the Wading River in the middle of the Pine Barrens. Seemed like the middle of nowhere. We climbed a fire tower and saw pine forest as far as the eye could see. The next weekend, I took my family to the city and stayed near Times Square. There's a lot to do within a short distance. Great schools too.

Welcome to NJ. You are free to leave if you don't like it. We don't care, and we're staying.
It's no secret retirees leave NJ for warmer and cheaper states.
NJ has high salaries, great public schools, great food and restaurants and proximity to two great cities with lots of sports and entertainment options.
Yes! And let's add the Shore, tons of great small towns, bustling arts and entertainment scenes (in addition to those in NYC/Philly), and, of course, Rutgers!!

Not to mention access to first class Healthcare and 3-4 years away from a top of the line Cancer center @ CINJ.

Notice the states at the bottom of the list almost all in the South which is typical. Might be cheap to live there but that's it.

In "Uncle John's Plunges into New Jersey" coffee table book, it states..."New Jersey is a VERY QUIRKY STATE. It may be small, but NJ has more personality than the other 49 states combined!" You got a problem with that?

Not to mention access to first class Healthcare and 3-4 years away from a top of the line Cancer center @ CINJ.

Notice the states at the bottom of the list almost all in the South which is typical. Might be cheap to live there but that's it.

While the cost of living is lower in Arkansas( not CHEAP though), there is so much more that makes many areas of the South very desirable.

Every state has its advantages and disadvantage. Personally, I love Arkansas. But I also love visiting other states, including NJ.

While the cost of living is lower in Arkansas( not CHEAP though), there is so much more that makes many areas of the South very desirable.

Every state has its advantages and disadvantage. Personally, I love Arkansas. But I also love visiting other states, including NJ.
Absolutely. NC was a state we called home for a few years back in the 1990s. We like where we live (Wilmington) and awful lot, but doubt we would go back there.

I prefer lists that value only the factors I deem important and put my favorite states at the top, my least faves at the bottom.

This list is untrustworthy.

Looking at your 1st sentence you should be saying, and not unreasonably given that people place different values on different things, ANY list is untrustworthy.

WalletHub? Maybe this ludicrously, subjective ranking will help increase their impressive media presence. I see they now have 8,400 followers on Twitter. Hope they can finally reach that elusive 10K level!

The argument that N.J. sucks because housing prices are too high makes me laugh. Housing prices are high because of the high demand. People WANT to live here.

Plenty of residents gripe about living here but if they really wanted to move, they would.

The argument that N.J. sucks because housing prices are too high makes me laugh. Housing prices are high because of the high demand. People WANT to live here.

Plenty of residents gripe about living here but if they really wanted to move, they would.
For years people have been telling me there is such an exodus I have been planning to buy a home in Alpine for $50,000

This is one weird list. The problem with a list like this is that no one lives in the entire state. You live in one residence in one neighborhood in one city. Unless you are super rich. I live in California and am blessed enough to own a home in a nice part of a great small city. The idea that Idaho or Iowa or Ohio (lol) would be a better place to live than California is ridiculous. Unless you live in Mexicali or Bakersfield.

Colorado should be in the top 5. New Mexico is far from the worst state to live in the USA.
Have you ever been to Idaho? I live in Ca. Idaho is incredible.

Found this at Costco in Edison today.. fingers crossed its a good one.. it is PINK ! with a white head.. umm.. it's very "wet" a little sweet for beer.. there was some other german grapefruit beer I tried before that I liked better... but I could see this being a good thirst-quencher if you like grapefruit... the other one.. Schofferhofer Hefeweizen Grapefruit.. I like better.. i think because it's a hefeweizen and I really crave that stuff in the summer.
gr-vorlage.png
Funny story....bear with me...

We are in Dachau, Germany maybe 25 years ago for a family trip having spent the morning at the Concentration Camp. There is the town of Dachau not far from the camp where we get lunch.

My Dad looks at the menu and orders a Radler. The waiter looks at him like he is an absolute wuss basically implying that only women drink Radlers (it was a lemonade-type...probably like a Summer Shandy). Anyway...my Dad gets it and enjoys it, but whenever I see Radler's, I think of the disgusted and disappointed look on that waiters face.

Also, to bring an appropriate somber tone to a post involving Dachau, my father was in the military in the late-60s/early-70s and had visited Dachau at that time as well. When we visited in the mid-90s, there were trees/forests all around it, but when he visited 20+ years earlier, he said it was still all open fields around the camp, making escape pretty much impossible.

Anyway...back to NJ as the best place to live.

I like to live in NJ. There's plenty of everything (good food, beaches, good schools, medical care, etc) here. However, please don't tell me that NJ ranks high in affordability. We have the highest property taxes in the nation and an income tax. Once I hang up my law shingle, I'm moving to PA or Delaware.

Reactions: scripts
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT