ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ schools can start the year virtually

Plenty of time for Murphy to change his position a few more times before school starts.

It's not as simple as hey we don't want to open our schools so we're going remote:

— Schools will need to complete a checklist on the state Department of Education website saying they can meet more than 40 guidelines for in-person classes. The items on the list include: social distancing in classrooms and on buses; safe school entry points; requiring masks; creating a contact tracing plan; setting up a safe way for students to eat meals; and a plan for recess and gym classes outside.

— If schools say they can’t meet one or more of the guidelines, the districts can request to start start the year with all-remote learning.

— Districts that are granted permission to start the year all-remote will need to show they are trying to make changes to start in-person classes. “Public school districts will need to spell out their plans for satisfying these unmet standards, and a date by which they anticipate the ability to resume in-person instruction,” Murphy said.

https://www.nj.com/education/2020/0...is-the-newly-released-plan-for-reopening.html

Reactions: RU22 and RutHut
Looks like Murphy has caved to the teachers union.

The Association of School Supers
and the Association of Principals both sent letters stating they needed to be allowed to offer remote learning only.

To say this is all the teachers union is showing your bias.

If a district certifies they are ready to open they can open. East Brunswick is opening for example

Not a teacher but a parent who along with his wife has decided his child will be attending school in person if it is open. A lot of teachers are crybabies ! And if I DON'T STFU ?

Me too. The kids need to go back in person. Online isn't working.

BTW: You must have missed it. Teachers are now a protected class. You can't question or criticize.

Very savvy political move by Murphy. He wants schools to open but is facing pressure to not open them from educational folks. He just made them have to announce to their taxpayers that they can’t get the schools safe. Smart move by Murphy.

Reactions: Greg2020
A lot of us including myself have gone to work through out this whole virus thing. 8 co-workers ended up with the virus but we continued on. We showed up every day and got the job done. I thought kids had to be in school because the rest of the world was getting too far ahead . Just what makes teachers so special ?

A lot of us including myself have gone to work through out this whole virus thing. 8 co-workers ended up with the virus but we continued on. We showed up every day and got the job done. I thought kids had to be in school because the rest of the world was getting too far ahead . Just what makes teachers so special ?

Congratulations on maintaining standard quo.

You want a trophy?

Are you surrounded by 15 up to 23 people in one room in close quarters for 7-8 hours a day? How about pre-k teachers who work with young children who cough and sneeze on them a lot? How will these teachers social distance the students? What have schools done thus far to ensure the safety of staff and students besides providing hand sanitizer stations? Masks are not 100% virus-proof. Your 8 co-workers in a school setting would’ve sent the whole building into quarantine. Then what?

The Association of School Supers
and the Association of Principals both sent letters stating they needed to be allowed to offer remote learning only.

To say this is all the teachers union is showing your bias.

If a district certifies they are ready to open they can open. East Brunswick is opening for example

His administrations lack of guidance to school districts has made school district administrations nuts. He gave schools a 100 page document with basic guidelines and then said, FIGURE IT OUT. Now, a few weeks before schools are supposed to open, he changes the rules again. My district is going nuts trying to come to a consensus on what we are going to do. There are meetings going on everyday trying to figure out what is the best course of action. It's a nightmare trying to get equipment (most products are on back order) to provide proper remote learning. And I'm not biased against the teachers union. But it pisses me off when 350 plus losers from the shitty district of Elizabeth say they won't report to work. It's hard enough trying to educate the students in that district in person, never mind remotely.

Reactions: Shell21
His administrations lack of guidance to school districts has made school district administrations nuts. He gave schools a 100 page document with basic guidelines and then said, FIGURE IT OUT. Now, a few weeks before schools are supposed to open, he changes the rules again. My district is going nuts trying to come to a consensus on what we are going to do. There are meetings going on everyday trying to figure out what is the best course of action. It's a nightmare trying to get equipment (most products are on back order) to provide proper remote learning. And I'm not biased against the teachers union. But it pisses me off when 350 plus losers from the shitty district of Elizabeth say they won't report to work. It's hard enough trying to educate the students in that district in person, never mind remotely.

There is a checklist and certification. If the administration certifies they meet all conditions on the checklist the school is required to open. The checklist gives exact requirements.

Reactions: Greg2020
Wife is a HS teacher and can’t wait (but still enjoying the Summer, so no rush - lol) for regular in your face teaching.
This is me, as well. Online instruction is for the birds, and NOT why I became a teacher. I would rather be a custodian than do a few more months of remote learning. Maybe it's just because I've been wearing a mask while handing out 5000 meals to our students' families twice each week since June without getting sick, but I'm pretty sure I can mask up with an N95 and face shield and stay safe until a vaccine is available. If ONE nurse was able to get through the surge in April without catching it, why couldn't I?

If they retire or don't report to work Elizabeth can hire new teachers. No one is stopping them. Why does it bother you that someone does not go back to a job they don't feel is safe.

I have two family members who are teachers..both cannot wait to go back and are very sad over this development

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT